Shaymin-S (New Analysis)

I don't see why Earth Power can't be listed as an option over Seed Flare on the substitute set. Seed Flare is a strong asset, but I don't think it is needed as much on a stalling Sub-seed set. Getting rid of Heatrans that switch in can be of far greater value than getting a generally unneeded Special Defense drop on some random Pokemon.

Blissey and co still fail to wall you effectively thanks to Leech Seed allowing you to Sub constantly while you constantly whittle them down with Seed damage and Air Slash.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure I'm convinced by that though, to be honest.

All of it leads me to believe it's a usable item on the Special Sweeper set, and not-so-great on the Substitute set. Stealth Rock is too common, surviving CB Mamoswine Ice Shard should probably be a none issue as you're best off switching anyway. I can't think of much that'll be staying in to Ice Beam you that can take a hit, or anything that's faster.

But if more people think Yache is more worthy of a note on this set, then I'll add it.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Even though I kind of doubt Yache Berry on this set, I think it would be great on the Growth set, silimar in ways to the Garchomp stragety.

I would like to add that Expert Belt is a decent item to use on Shaymin-S. Most people I have faced immediately send in something like Salamence after I ohko a Heatran or visa versa, thinking I am specsed or scarfed due to no Life Orb recoil, only to find them having another pokemon hurt very badly or even KOd.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I support the addition of a Swords Dance set; it isn't that good, considering its poor type coverage, but it is good enough for inclusion. As jrrrrrrr said, Shaymin-S can make up for Seed Bomb and Zen Headbutt's meager coverage by adding a special move.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, I originally had something written up for SD Shaymin but I didn't post it with my original write up since I thought it was gimmicky. At least it has Zen Headbutts flinch going for it. I just have to get to my other computer and I'll post it later today.

Does Quick Attack deserve mention in the Set Comments of that set? I don't have it on the primary set but I was debating whether or not to include Quick Attack even in the set comments.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Use:

~ Swords Dnace
~ Seed Bomb
~ Zen Headbutt
~ Earth Power / Hidden Power Fire

Set Comments could list Quick Attack, but it is in Other Options already. Other moves listed in Set Comments could be debatable, but hitting Steel-types for super effective damage should be the primary concern.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is what I had written up before I took it out.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 3: Zen Headbutt
move 4: Earth Power / Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set attempts to make use of Shaymin-S's more than respectable base 103 Attack stat and its access to Swords Dance. While the pathetic physical move pool hinders the usability of this set, it is still a viable option.</p>

<p>Seed Bomb and Zen Headbutt are Shaymin-S's best physical move options, the latter which has a 40% chance to flinch the target. Due to the lack of a viable physical option, Shaymin-S makes use of its great Special Attack once again in the final slot. Even with a Jolly nature and minimal Special Attack EV investment, Shaymin-S is still able to OHKO Heatran and 2HKO Metagross with Earth Power or OHKO Forretress and 2HKO Skarmory with Hidden Power Fire.</p>

<p>The EVs are rather intuitive for a physical sweeper. Feel free to switch to a Hasty nature to not weaken the power of your special move of choice.</p>

Havak

I'm going to add Caelum's Swords Dance set, but I'll probably edit the Set Comments slightly.

I'll then have to slightly edit the EVs and Other Options sections, while adding a little to the Counters section.
Hopefully I'll be able to work all this out in the next hour or two before the football match starts as I'm having friends over.

Havak

Quick question:

<p>In terms of physical attacks, Shaymin-S has a few useful options, namely Seed Bomb and Zen Headbutt, which are backed up by Swords Dance. However, you’ll struggle to find a useful fourth move, so investing in some Special Attack EVs and adding Earth Power or Hidden Power Fire to the mix is probably the best thing to do.</p>
Should I just completely remove this section from Other Options?

It's not really relavant now that there's a physical set, and Shaymin-S doesn't have any other physical options. But it could still be edited a bit and kept..

Caelum

qibz official stalker
Quick question:

Should I just completely remove this section from Other Options?

It's not really relavant now that there's a physical set, and Shaymin-S doesn't have any other physical options. But it could still be edited a bit and kept..
Delete it. If you have a physical set it no longer is other options.

Havak

Okay, this is pretty much finished now I think. I've been through multiple times to check for spelling errors (and I did find one or two) but there could be some I'm missing. Misaki would probably be best looking over this whole thing first.

The only other things I'm thinking of are a bit more mention for Yache Berry, Expert Belt and Wide Lens in Set Comments, but I think it's fine as it is now.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah it looks fine. I'll write up that Wide Lens set as a Peer Edit on a different date. If it looks good, we should probably put it up on the set (although there needs to be a page created for it)

Caelum

qibz official stalker
<p>Seed Bomb and Zen Headbutt are Shaymin-S's best physical attacking options, the latter of which has a 40% chance to flinch the target. Due to the lack of viable physical options, Shaymin-S makes use of its great Special Attack once again in the final slot. Even with a Jolly nature and minimal Special Attack EV investment, Shaymin-S is still able to OHKO most Heatran and 2HKO Metagross with Earth Power. Or if preferred, OHKO Forretress and Scizor with Hidden Power Fire, while still scoring a 2HKO on Skarmory.</p>
Technically it doesn't OHKO all heatran (HP / SpD investment it can survive) so its more appropriate to say "most" heatran. and I think you meant "on Skarmory". Other then that we'll just wait for shiki to grammar check this, as always, and I think its pretty much done :/

Hidden Power Fire 70 requires a speed IV of 30. I think this deserves a mention in the EVs section. Some people might not like losing every single time against other Skymins(if they're not using HP Fire of course).

Here leave the Set that in SB given me a fantastic results:

Shaymin-s @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
VEs: 8 HP/248 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+ SAtk,-ATK)
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare

CScarf that exceeds the Zapdos Timid Scarfers to Heatran Timid Scarfer and Gengo Timid Scarfer who attempt to stop them OHKO (Zapdos 2HKO). Gives some tremendous blows, coverage and OHKO imminent. Is a big RK. He can be Lead because with his movepool give many OHKO, specially to the others Starters, I do not use it but I Lead slowdown of Heatran and other pk.

Havak

That set's already in the analysis. There's just no much point in changing the "Special Sweeper" for the sake of one item. So Choice Specs, Scarf and Life Orb are all listed in the set. With Expert Belt and Yache Berry as other alternatives.

I've been thinking about the Wide Lens set, and on second thought it's probably different enough to warrant it's own set. If only because the Special Sweeper set will get a bit too clogged up:

[SET]
name: Wide Lens
move 1: GrassWhistle
move 2: Seed Flare
move 3: Air Slash
move 4: Earth Power
item: Wide Lens
nature: Timid
evs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Should we add this in, or does no one else agree?

The structure of this analysis looks pretty much complete so I'll scan it for small errors:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/shaymin-s (page not made yet)

Credit to Caelum for helping with this.

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 1: Seed Flare
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf / Life Orb
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Shaymin-S has brilliant Speed and Special Attack, so it's a perfect candidate for a special attacking moveset, even with a somewhat limited offensive movepool. Seed Flare is a devastating attack, running off of 120 base Special Attack and STAB. Not to mention the 80% (68% when factoring in accuracy) chance of lowering your opponent’s Special Defense two stages, thanks to Serene Grace. The power of Choice Specs (or even an un-boosted) Seed Flare should never be underestimated. Air Slash is your secondary STAB attack, which also benefits greatly from Serene Grace (coupled with Shaymin-S’s impressive Speed) with a 60% (57% when factoring in accuracy) chance of a flinch. One of Air Slash's [possessive] main objectives is to defeat Grass and Bug-types that can take a Seed Flare. Earth Power is chosen for greater type coverage, as most Steel-types will find it quite easy to switch in [verb usage] on Seed Flare or Air Slash, mainly Heatran and Metagross. The choice of Hidden Power depends on what you’d like to damage more. Hidden Power Fire’s main use is to dispose of Pokemon like Bronzong and Skarmory who resist, or are immune to all your other attacks. While Hidden Power Ice is good for providing safe checks against Salamence and Dragonite, it’ll also hurt Zapdos more than any of your other moves. Psychic is another alternative, but generally isn’t as useful as the Hidden Power’s already mentioned.</p>

<p>With Choice Specs, you’re able to rip into the vast majority of special walls such as Blissey, Snorlax, or Cresselia with Seed Flare. As with the boosted Special Attack, and possible Special Defense drops, they’ll have to think twice before switching in. However, Choice Scarf can be a nice surprise, and thanks to Shaymin-S’s already-high Speed, revenge killing problem Pokemon or already set-up sweepers can be a great asset. Life Orb is another option if you prefer the ability to switch attacks freely and don't mind recoil damage, while Yache Berry can allow you to take an Ice Shard and sweep the rest of an opponent's team (though this is quite situational). Expert Belt can also work well to trick opponents into thinking you have a choice item.</p>

[SET]
name: Substitute
move 1: Substitute
move 4: Earth Power / Leech Seed
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Once Shaymin-S is behind a Substitute (which is very easy to achieve), countering it becomes incredibly difficult. The reasoning behind Substitute is to ease prediction, as a lot of players will need to resort to revenge killing to get rid of Shaymin-S (mainly on offensive based teams). All the main carriers of Ice Shard are likely to be KO'd by one of Shaymin-S's attacks. With Seed Flare disposing of Weavile, Mamoswine, and Donphan, while Air Slash (or Hidden Power Fire if preferred) will force Abomasnow to take a lot of damage. Heatran no longer revenge kills Shaymin-S with Substitute up and will be forced to take an Earth Power, resulting in Heatran being KO’d in return.</p>

<p>If you’re not too worried about Shaymin-S having to deal with Heatran (or most Steel-types) directly, Leech Seed can be very effective in the fourth slot. Grass-types are ill effective at walling your Substitute and Leech Seed combination, as they’ll have to fear a STAB super effective Air Slash. Air Slash also works tremendously well thanks to the high flinch rate, meaning you can gain free turns of healing through Leftovers and Leech Seed (and your opponent not being able to attack). Leech Seed can also help against enemies that could need to be stalled down, such as Registeel or Regice. </p>

<p>The choice of item for this moveset can actually be quite a difficult decision. Leftovers are mentioned already as the most reliable, replenishing HP lost from Substitute. But another good choice is Petaya Berry to boost your Special Attack in order to sweep late on. Life Orb can also work if you’re confident of regaining HP through Leech Seed.</p>

[SET]
name: Growth
move 1: Growth
item: Leftovers / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>A basic stat-upping set. Shaymin-S already has great Special Attack, and with Growth it becomes even better. Otherwise, this is incredibly similar to the previous sets. Simply switch in on a Pokemon you can force out, use Growth on the switch, and start sweeping from there. Growth boosts Shaymin-S’s great Special Attack and with possible flinches from boosted Air Slashes and Special Defense drops from Seed Flare it can become even more of a threat. Using a more defensive spread with a Yache Berry is also a viable alternative.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set attempts to make use of Shaymin-S's more than respectable base 103 Attack stat and its access to Swords Dance. While the pathetic physical movepool hinders the usability of this set, it’s still a viable option.</p>

<p>Seed Bomb and Zen Headbutt are Shaymin-S's best physical attacking options, the latter of which has a 40% chance to flinch the target. Due to the lack of viable physical options, Shaymin-S makes use of its great Special Attack once again in the final slot. Even with a Jolly nature and minimal Special Attack EV investment, Shaymin-S is still able to OHKO most Heatran and 2HKO Metagross with Earth Power. Or if preferred, OHKO Forretress and Scizor with Hidden Power Fire, while still scoring a 2HKO on Skarmory.</p>

<p>The EVs are rather intuitive for a physical sweeper. Feel free to switch to a Hasty or Naive nature to not weaken the power of your special move of choice.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Shaymin-S’s offensive movepool is quite limited. Psychic was mentioned earlier in the analysis as an alternative move over Hidden Power, as it’s a reliable attack with a good base power and a 20% chance to lower your opponent’s Special Defense thanks to Serene Grace. Leaf Storm can work over Seed Flare if you’re expecting to play a hit-and-run strategy with Shaymin-S, but generally Seed Flare is the best choice. Energy Ball and Grass Knot are good choices over Seed Flare for the Substitute set with Leech Seed, due to their higher PP. Hidden Power Rock, while not hitting much for x4 super effective damage, eases prediction, and scores good hits on the majority of threats to Shaymin-S. Switch-ins such as Zapdos, Regice, Crobat, Dragonite, Abomasnow, and possibly Gyarados and Salamence are all hit for super effective damage. While Heatran, Scizor, and Skarmory all take neutral damage, helping if you miss-predict. Ominous Wind is Shaymin-S’s only other decent special attack, and while it has low base power, the increased chance to raise all your stats shouldn’t be overlooked.</p>

<p>Endeavor can work if paired with Substitute or a Focus Sash, and Shaymin-S gets Quick Attack in case your opponent is somehow faster. Synthesis can be used to regain HP lost from Substitute, Stealth Rock, or switching in on Water-type moves. But you’ll have to predict well and it’s usually difficult to find a moveslot for it. GrassWhistle is very inaccurate, but if paired with Wide Lens (which is a good choice of item as it also helps out Seed Flare and Air Slash with accuracy) it can be effective. Aromatherapy is another good support move, but is generally done better by something with good defenses. Toxic can help stall down foes such as Blissey with the Leech Seed set, but there are better options in the movesets already listed. Shaymin-S is arguably the best user of the move Healing Wish, thanks to its high Speed stat Shaymin-S can pull off Healing Wish quite easily before it's KO'd.</p>

<p>As already mentioned, Petaya Berry, Salac Berry, Yache Berry, Focus Sash, Expert Belt, and Wide Lens are all good alternative items to use on Shaymin-S.</p>

[EVs]
<p>Shaymin-S is usually just a 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe job with a Timid or Modest nature, but there are a few slight alternatives. If you’re using Life Orb, you’ll probably want your HP stat to end in a nine to provide a possible 11 attacks instead of the usual 10. So you can either add more HP EVs from Special Attack, or lower your HP IV to 29 and add the 6 EVs to Defense. Adding a bit of Defense and using a Yache Berry can allow you to survive an Ice Shard, but you’re generally better off using the standard EV spreads, as the omnipresent Stealth Rock will hinder Shaymin-S’s performance.</p>

<p>If you’re using a physical Shaymin-S, go with an Attack or Speed boosting nature that doesn’t hinder Attack, with 252 Attack and 252 Speed EVs. As previously mentioned, Shaymin-S will need to use a special attack on its physical move-set to hurt Steel-types. So add the remaining 6 EVs to Special Attack, and use a Naive or Hasty nature over Jolly if you want that extra 10% Special Attack.</p>

<p>It should also be noted that Hidden Power Fire is only obtainable with an IV of 30, so take into account that you'll be losing speed ties every time against opposing Shaymin-S (unless they're also running HIdden Power Fire).</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Shaymin-S is a brilliant Pokemon, one of the fastest in the game coupled with great Special Attack. Serene Grace can help Shaymin-S punish enemies with Seed Flare or Air Slash, as that blatant use of luck will often go in its favour. Always take this thing into account when building a team, as without something that can counter or revenge kill it, it’ll most likely tear into your team. Stealth Rock weakness, Seed Flare's dreadful PP, and a slightly limited offensive move-pool do hinder Shaymin-S a bit, though.</p>

[Counters]
<p>For the special sets, Blissey, Snorlax, and Cresselia are usually safe switch-ins, but they will have to fear the Special Defense drop from Seed Flare and are all susceptible to the Substitute and Leech Seed combination. Skarmory and Bronzong are resistant to both Seed Flare and Air Slash, while being immune to Earth Power (assuming Bronzong has Levitate), so will only fear Hidden Power Fire. They can KO in return with Brave Bird (or Drill Peck) or Gyro Ball respectively. Skarmory can also Whirlwind (or Roar) away any attempts at a Substitute and Leech Seed combination.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Heatran is a great counter, and revenge killer, provided it avoids Earth Power, as it can KO with STAB super effective Fire-type moves and is usually faster thanks to the Choice Scarf and Speed boosting nature. Special defensive Zapdos can cope with all of Shaymin-S’s attacks as it resists them all, bar Hidden Power. Thanks to Pressure, Seed Flare’s minuscule PP will be whittled away rather quickly. Moltres is similar to Zapdos in regards to countering Shaymin-S, but the omnipresent Stealth Rock really negates its effectiveness. Dragonite is resistant to Seed Flare and immune to Earth Power, it also has the Inner Focus ability to prevent flinching from Air Slash. However, Dragonite needs to be weary of Hidden Power Ice. Crobat is another Pokemon resistant to Seed Flare and immune to Earth Power, with Inner Focus to prevent flinching from Air Slash. Crobat is also faster and can KO with STAB Flying or Poison-type attacks, but will need to fear Psychic or Hidden Power Ice to a degree.</p>

<p>Regice, Registeel, and Metagross all have the Clear Body ability, which prevents Seed Flare’s secondary effect of lowering Special Defense. They all also have great HP and defenses, while having access to Ice-type attacks to OHKO Shaymin-S. However, they’re all subject to the Substitute set with Leech Seed, which is where Metagross has the edge over the two golems thanks to its STAB priority move, Bullet Punch.</p>

<p>Speaking of priority moves, a lot of the time Pokemon will be able to revenge kill Shaymin-S if they have access to a strong (or super effective) one. Scizor is a Pokemon that can switch in quite easily sometimes thanks to its Steel typing, as well as revenge kill Shaymin-S very effectively. It's only OHKO'd by Hidden Power Fire and can KO with STAB Bullet Punch. Weavile, Mamoswine, Donphan, and Abomasnow all usually carry Ice Shard and will OHKO Shaymin-S the majority of the time.</p>

<p>For the physical set, a lot of the previous counters listed are still a counter. Bronzong is once again a stand out counter, as Hidden Power Fire won’t 2HKO, and it’s resistant to both your physical attacks. Registeel, while weak to both Hidden Power Fire and Earth Power won’t fear the physical set too much and can KO with Ice Punch. Zapdos and Moltres will want to avoid a Swords Danced Zen Headbutt with flinch (especially with Stealth Rock in play), but are suitable counters. Salamence is now an excellent counter thanks to its typing and Intimidate; Dragonite still does the same job and can’t be flinched by Zen Headbutt.</p

<p>Without Earth Power, Heatran and Drapion laugh at the physical set. Without Hidden Power Fire, Skarmory, Scizor, and Forretress are all great counters. Metagross can only be 2HKO’d at best by either special attack, and will be able to OHKO in return.</p>
Moveset, movepool, and moveslot don't have hyphens in them, assuming the other analyses on-site are correct.

Shaymin-S' was frequently used as a possessive noun. Since Shaymin-S is being used as a singular noun, 's at the end is appropriate. This is also used in the Deoxys-S analysis.

Flinch-ratio was changed to flinch rate to be consistent with the other analyses.

Also, the W in GrassWhistle is capitalized. (Again, assuming it's correct on-site.)

Those were the most significant errors. I only took a quick scan because I had some time to kill so there might be others.

Havak

I'm pretty adamant that we should start using move-pool, move-set, and move-slot, but for the sake of consistancy with the rest of the analyses on-site I'll change it.

And yeah, I just double checked in-game and Grasswhistle shold be GrassWhistle, cheers.

Edit: Made all the changes.

OK, I'm just using CardsoftheHeart's typo check:

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 1: Seed Flare
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf / Life Orb
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Shaymin-S has brilliant Speed and Special Attack, so it's a perfect candidate for a special attacking moveset, even with a somewhat limited offensive movepool. Seed Flare is a devastating attack, running off of 120 base Special Attack and STAB. Not to mention the 80% (68% when factoring in accuracy) chance of lowering your opponent’s Special Defense two stages, thanks to Serene Grace. The power of Choice Specs (or even an un-boosted) Seed Flare should never be underestimated. Air Slash is your secondary STAB attack, which also benefits greatly from Serene Grace (coupled with Shaymin-S’s impressive Speed) with a 60% (57% when factoring in accuracy) chance of a flinch. One of Air Slash's main objectives is to defeat Grass and Bug-types that can take a Seed Flare. Earth Power is chosen for greater type coverage, as most Steel-types will find it quite easy to switch in on Seed Flare or Air Slash, mainly Heatran and Metagross. The choice of Hidden Power depends on what you’d like to damage more. Hidden Power Fire’s main use is to dispose of Pokemon like Bronzong and Skarmory who resist, or are immune to all your other attacks. While Hidden Power Ice is good for providing safe checks against Salamence and Dragonite, it’ll also hurt Zapdos more than any of your other moves. Psychic is another alternative, but generally isn’t as useful as the Hidden Power’s already mentioned.</p>

<p>With Choice Specs, you’re able to rip into the vast majority of special walls such as Blissey, Snorlax, or Cresselia with Seed Flare. As with the boosted Special Attack, and possible Special Defense drops, they’ll have to think twice before switching in. However, Choice Scarf can be a nice surprise, and thanks to Shaymin-S’s already-high Speed, revenge killing problem Pokemon or already set-up sweepers can be a great asset. Life Orb is another option if you prefer the ability to switch attacks freely and don't mind recoil damage, while Yache Berry can allow you to take an Ice Shard and sweep the rest of an opponent's team (though this is quite situational). Expert Belt can also work well to trick opponents into thinking you have a Choice item.</p>

[SET]
name: Substitute
move 1: Substitute
move 4: Earth Power / Leech Seed
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Once Shaymin-S is behind a Substitute (which is very easy to achieve), countering it becomes incredibly difficult. The reasoning behind Substitute is to ease prediction, as a lot of players will need to resort to revenge killing to get rid of Shaymin-S (mainly on offensive based teams). All the main carriers of Ice Shard are likely to be KO'd by one of Shaymin-S's attacks. Seed Flare disposes of Weavile, Mamoswine, and Donphan, while Air Slash (or Hidden Power Fire if preferred) will force Abomasnow to take a lot of damage. Heatran no longer revenge kills Shaymin-S with Substitute up and will be forced to take an Earth Power, resulting in Heatran being KO’d in return.</p>

<p>If you’re not too worried about Shaymin-S having to deal with Heatran (or most Steel-types) directly, Leech Seed can be very effective in the fourth slot. Grass-types are ineffective at walling your Substitute and Leech Seed combination, as they’ll have to fear a STAB super effective Air Slash. Air Slash also works tremendously well thanks to the high flinch rate, meaning you can gain free turns of healing through Leftovers and Leech Seed (and your opponent not being able to attack). Leech Seed can also help against enemies that could need to be stalled down, such as Registeel or Regice. </p>

<p>The choice of item for this moveset can actually be quite a difficult decision. Leftovers are mentioned already as the most reliable, replenishing HP lost from Substitute. But another good choice is Petaya Berry to boost your Special Attack in order to sweep late on. Life Orb can also work if you’re confident of regaining HP through Leech Seed.</p>

[SET]
name: Growth
move 1: Growth
item: Leftovers / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>A basic stat-upping set. Shaymin-S already has great Special Attack, and with Growth it becomes even better. Otherwise, this is incredibly similar to the previous sets. Simply switch in on a Pokemon you can force out, use Growth on the switch, and start sweeping from there. Growth boosts Shaymin-S’s great Special Attack and with possible flinches from boosted Air Slashes and Special Defense drops from Seed Flare it can become even more of a threat. Using a more defensive spread with a Yache Berry is also a viable alternative.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set attempts to make use of Shaymin-S's more than respectable base 103 Attack stat and its access to Swords Dance. While the pathetic physical movepool hinders the usability of this set, it’s still a viable option.</p>

<p>Seed Bomb and Zen Headbutt are Shaymin-S's best physical attacking options, the latter of which has a 40% chance to flinch the target. Due to the lack of viable physical options, Shaymin-S makes use of its great Special Attack once again in the final slot. Even with a Jolly nature and minimal Special Attack EV investment, Shaymin-S is still able to OHKO most Heatran and 2HKO Metagross with Earth Power. Or if preferred, one can OHKO Forretress and Scizor with Hidden Power Fire, while still scoring a 2HKO on Skarmory.</p>

<p>The EVs are rather intuitive for a physical sweeper. Feel free to switch to a Hasty or Naive nature to not weaken the power of your special move of choice.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Shaymin-S’s offensive movepool is quite limited. Psychic was mentioned earlier in the analysis as an alternative move over Hidden Power, as it’s a reliable attack with a good base power and a 20% chance to lower your opponent’s Special Defense thanks to Serene Grace. Leaf Storm can work over Seed Flare if you’re expecting to play a hit-and-run strategy with Shaymin-S, but generally Seed Flare is the best choice. Energy Ball and Grass Knot are good choices over Seed Flare for the Substitute set with Leech Seed, due to their higher PP. Hidden Power Rock, while not hitting much for x4 super effective damage, eases prediction, and scores good hits on the majority of threats to Shaymin-S. Switch-ins such as Zapdos, Regice, Crobat, Dragonite, Abomasnow, and possibly Gyarados and Salamence are all hit for super effective damage. While Heatran, Scizor, and Skarmory all take neutral damage, helping if you mispredict. Ominous Wind is Shaymin-S’s only other decent special attack, and while it has low base power, the increased chance to raise all your stats shouldn’t be overlooked.</p>

<p>Endeavor can work if paired with Substitute or a Focus Sash, and Shaymin-S gets Quick Attack in case your opponent is somehow faster. Synthesis can be used to regain HP lost from Substitute, Stealth Rock, or switching in on Water-type moves. But you’ll have to predict well and it’s usually difficult to find a moveslot for it. GrassWhistle is very inaccurate, but if paired with Wide Lens (which is a good choice of item as it also helps out Seed Flare and Air Slash with accuracy) it can be effective. Aromatherapy is another good support move, but is generally done better by something with good defenses. Toxic can help stall down foes such as Blissey with the Leech Seed set, but there are better options in the movesets already listed. Shaymin-S is arguably the best user of the move Healing Wish: thanks to its high Speed stat Shaymin-S can pull off Healing Wish quite easily before it's KO'd.</p>

<p>As already mentioned, Petaya Berry, Salac Berry, Yache Berry, Focus Sash, Expert Belt, and Wide Lens are all good alternative items to use on Shaymin-S.</p>

[EVs]
<p>Shaymin-S is usually just a 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe job with a Timid or Modest nature, but there are a few slight alternatives. If you’re using Life Orb, you’ll probably want your HP stat to end in a nine to provide a possible 11 attacks instead of the usual 10. So you can either add more HP EVs from Special Attack, or lower your HP IV to 29 and add the 6 EVs to Defense. Adding a bit of Defense and using a Yache Berry can allow you to survive an Ice Shard, but you’re generally better off using the standard EV spreads, as the omnipresent Stealth Rock will hinder Shaymin-S’s performance.</p>

<p>If you’re using a physical Shaymin-S, go with an Attack or Speed boosting nature that doesn’t hinder Attack, with 252 Attack and 252 Speed EVs. As previously mentioned, Shaymin-S will need to use a special attack on its physical move-set to hurt Steel-types. So add the remaining 6 EVs to Special Attack, and use a Naive or Hasty nature over Jolly if you want that extra 10% Special Attack.</p>

<p>It should also be noted that Hidden Power Fire is only obtainable with an IV of 30, so take into account that you'll be losing speed ties every time against opposing Shaymin-S (unless they're also running Hidden Power Fire).</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Shaymin-S is a brilliant Pokemon, one of the fastest in the game coupled with great Special Attack. Serene Grace can help Shaymin-S punish enemies with Seed Flare or Air Slash, as that blatant use of luck will often go in its favour. Always take this thing into account when building a team, as without something that can counter or revenge kill it, it’ll most likely tear into your team. Stealth Rock weakness, Seed Flare's dreadful PP, and a slightly limited offensive move-pool do hinder Shaymin-S a bit, though.</p>

[Counters]
<p>For the special sets, Blissey, Snorlax, and Cresselia are usually safe switch-ins, but they will have to fear the Special Defense drop from Seed Flare and are all susceptible to the Substitute and Leech Seed combination. Skarmory and Bronzong are resistant to both Seed Flare and Air Slash, while being immune to Earth Power (assuming Bronzong has Levitate), so will only fear Hidden Power Fire. They can KO in return with Brave Bird (or Drill Peck) or Gyro Ball respectively. Skarmory can also Whirlwind (or Roar) away any attempts at SubSeeding repetition.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Heatran is a great counter, and revenge killer, provided it avoids Earth Power, as it can KO with STAB super effective Fire-type moves and is usually faster thanks to the Choice Scarf and Speed boosting nature. Special defensive Zapdos can cope with all of Shaymin-S’s attacks as it resists them all, bar Hidden Power. Thanks to Pressure, Seed Flare’s minuscule PP will be whittled away rather quickly. Moltres is similar to Zapdos in regards to countering Shaymin-S, but the omnipresent Stealth Rock really negates its effectiveness. Dragonite is resistant to Seed Flare and immune to Earth Power, it also has the Inner Focus ability to prevent flinching from Air Slash. However, Dragonite needs to be wary of Hidden Power Ice. Crobat is another Pokemon resistant to Seed Flare and immune to Earth Power, with Inner Focus to prevent flinching from Air Slash. Crobat is also faster and can KO with STAB Flying or Poison-type attacks, but will need to fear Psychic or Hidden Power Ice to a degree.</p>

<p>Regice, Registeel, and Metagross all have the Clear Body ability, which prevents Seed Flare’s secondary effect of lowering Special Defense. They all also have great HP and defenses, while having access to Ice-type attacks to OHKO Shaymin-S. However, they’re all subject to the Substitute set with Leech Seed, which is where Metagross has the edge over the two golems thanks to its STAB priority move, Bullet Punch.</p>

<p>Speaking of priority moves, a lot of the time Pokemon will be able to revenge kill Shaymin-S if they have access to a strong (or super effective) one. Scizor is a Pokemon that can switch in quite easily sometimes thanks to its Steel typing, as well as revenge kill Shaymin-S very effectively. It's only OHKO'd by Hidden Power Fire and can KO with STAB Bullet Punch. Weavile, Mamoswine, Donphan, and Abomasnow all usually carry Ice Shard and will OHKO Shaymin-S the majority of the time.</p>

<p>For the physical set, a lot of the previous counters listed are still counters. Bronzong is once again a stand out counter, as Hidden Power Fire won’t 2HKO, and it’s resistant to both your physical attacks. Registeel, while weak to both Hidden Power Fire and Earth Power, won’t fear the physical set too much and can KO with Ice Punch. Zapdos and Moltres will want to avoid a Swords Danced Zen Headbutt with flinch (especially with Stealth Rock in play), but are suitable counters. Salamence is now an excellent counter thanks to its typing and Intimidate; Dragonite still does the same job and can’t be flinched by Zen Headbutt.</p

<p>Without Earth Power, Heatran and Drapion laugh at the physical set. Without Hidden Power Fire, Skarmory, Scizor, and Forretress are all great counters. Metagross can only be 2HKO’d at best by either special attack, and will be able to OHKO in return.</p>
Fixed =) Sorry for the delay, I had no idea this was so complete already @__@ gj guys! ^_^

Caelum

qibz official stalker
Havak & I are pros shiki please. ^_^

thanks for the fixes, as usual.

My only comment though is, is Expert Belt really a viable option as mentioned in OO. It's STAB moves don't get a lot of super-effective coverage so its likely to not even be boosted. And EP or Hidden Power already destroy most things it hits for SE anyway. Seems like a waste to me.

Havak

I somewhat agree with Caelum, it was another member of the community (Lawman?) who suggested Expert Belt. It was more the fact that you can score KO's on multiple Pokémon who assume you're Choiced.

For Example, you switch in your Shaymin-S on Swampert. Your opponent switches in Heatran but you predict correctly and score a KO with Earth Power. Your opponent sees no Life Orb recoil, so would be likely to assume you're using a choice item. They could switch Swampert back in to hit you with an Ice attack or think they have a perfect oppertunity to set-up Stealth Rock, but get battered by a Seed Flare instead.

That's where the advantage was seen, but I do agree in a sense that it's not the best option and maybe not note worthy. However, if you can score 2HKO's on some Bronzong, Skarmory or anything else that isn't 2HKO'd by a super effective attack with no boosts at all, then it's viable.

Admittedly I didn't run damage calculations on any of these to see if Expert Belt is helpful enough in scoring 2HKO's and you not having to take any recoil damage. But if someone else wants to run them (as I have to go out now) that'd be cool.

It is probably just about viable enough IMO, but I have no beef with removing it either.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
I guess so. I can normally tell based on damage outputs so the bluffing Choice item thing never really worked for me but I can see where it would be useful. Keep it in I guess.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
That set's already in the analysis. There's just no much point in changing the "Special Sweeper" for the sake of one item. So Choice Specs, Scarf and Life Orb are all listed in the set. With Expert Belt and Yache Berry as other alternatives.

I've been thinking about the Wide Lens set, and on second thought it's probably different enough to warrant it's own set. If only because the Special Sweeper set will get a bit too clogged up:

[SET]
name: Wide Lens
move 1: GrassWhistle
item: Wide Lens

Should we add this in, or does no one else agree?
I'm still open for writing it up, if you want to put it in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)