Shell Smash Smeargle's Supremacy (Peaked #4)

Introduction:

Shell Smash was one of of the most game changing moves introduced in Gen 5. Unfortunately, the pokemon that have access to it are not all that great, and so the move doesn't see too much usage. By using a pokemon with access to shell smash + baton pass, one could indirectly give any poke access to the power of shell smash.

I thought this would be a pretty broken strategy and so I tried it in OU. Unfortunately, the prevalence of powerful priority and sandstorm (breaking focus sashes) meant that I wasn't very successful. So, I adapted the strategy to the UU meta in which priority as well as hail is much less common and so far it has been doing quite well. People aren't prepared to handle smashpass in UU and so at times, the battle is won at the team preview. I peaked at number 4, and I don't if I could go higher with this team, but number 3 is too far away from me at the moment.

Proof of Peak:

Team Building:

I had 2 options for my smash passer, Smeargle or Gorebyss. Even though Gorebyss has a much better offensive presence, I went with Smeargle because of its access to spore.

I needed something that could prevent the opponent from setting up hazards while setting up my own. I went with classic suicide lead Azelf because it has the stats and movepool to fit the role.

All that was left was the receivers. I didn't really give my choices much thought. I simply picked some of the tiers top offensive threats.

I noticed that my team had huge issues with CB Azumarill and so I replaced Nidoking with Shaymin, which could take aqua jets easily. I also realized how important it was to keep hazards off the field. Losing smeargle's sash often meant losing the game. I couldn't risk speed ties with opposing Azelf and so I replaced it with Aerodactyl, which still gets the job done, while also dealing with Xatu. Besides that I also made minor EV, IV and nature tweaks

A Closer Look:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Spore
- Baton Pass
- Magic Coat

Super standard smashpass Smeargle. Shell Smash --> Spore --> Baton Pass. Magic Coat is extremely handy. If you see a Sableye, Whimsicott or Aerodactyl in the team preview, lead with Smeargle and magic coat the taunt back at it. It really swings momentum in your favour.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Aerodactyl has 2 jobs. Put up stealth rocks and stop the opponent from doing the same. However, keeping stealth rocks off the field via taunt is far more important than getting up your own rocks. This team's sweepers are already very powerful and don't always need the stealth rock damage. What this team does need is a field clear of entry hazards. I chose Aerodactyl over Azelf because its faster and comes out on top against Xatu.

Zapdos @ White Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 140 Spd / 252 SAtk / 112 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Baton Pass

This poke often carries the team to victory by itself. If the opponent lacks a Snorlax, Umbreon, or Weavile its gg if Zapdos receives a smash. Thunderbolt is a strong STAB, Heat wave allows Zapdos to beat Grass and Steel types, and HP Grass means that it isn't hard walled by Swampert and Rhyperior. Baton Pass is a very useful move, as it allows me to pass the stat boosts to another poke without any stat drops(thanks to white herb). This means a sweep isn't always interrupted by an Umbreon or Snorlax walling Zapdos as it can baton pass out to Heracross. It has enough speed investment to outspeed base 115 speed scarfers, which is all it really needs. Max special attack and a modest nature for maximum power, while the rest is dumped into HP. White herb is necessary as it allows Zapdos to take advantage of its nice bulk and typing. With 116 HP, Zapdos is only 3HKOed by CB Azumarill's aqua jet and can check speed boost Yanmega(which would otherwise be a threat) quite well.

Heracross @ Focus Sash
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Night Slash

If your opponent lacks a Gligar, Qwilfish or Cofagrigus, Heracross is the man for the job. Close Combat and Megahorn are obligatory (not to mention obscenely powerful) STABs while Rock Slide offers coverage against flying types. Stone edge has missed for me at crucial times so, it was replaced by Rock Slide, as at +2, doing super effective damage, I don't think the added power is needed. Night Slash is really a filler move which allows Heracross to muscle past Cofagrigus. Guts is very much preferred over Moxie on this set, so that Heracross isn't stopped midsweep by Will 'o Wisp from Sableye and also because +2 Heracross is powerful enough already. Since Heracross is already so powerful, it really doesn't need any power boosting items like life orb or expert belt. Although Lum Berry is an option, Focus Sash was chosen to allow Heracross to survive priority moves like Espeed, Aqua Jet and Ice Shard. A Jolly nature is required as even at +2 speed, Adamant Heracross doesn't outspeed base 108+ scarfers.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd / 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Substitute

We all already know how huge an offensive threat Chadelure is in the UU meta, and at +2 it's twice as scary. It gains a lot of super effective coverage courtesy of its decently diverse movepool. Flamethrower is chosen over Fire Blast just because it really doesn't need the added power, and the accuracy is appreciated. Energy Ball deals with water types and Rhperior while HP Fighting hits Houndoom and Snorlax for more damage. It could be replaced with substitute to help it deal with Sucker punch. As with Heracross, Chandelure needs a speed boosting nature so that it can outspeed the entire tier at +2. Focus Sash allows Chandelure live priority moves like Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet. Since Chandelure and Heracross are both sashed and Zapdos is weak to rocks, it's very important that Aerodactyl prioritizes keeping rocks off the field. Chandelure also plays another very important role, courtesy of its unique typing, which allows it to be a very good priority absorber. It can eat up Extremespeeds, Mach Punches, Ice Shards, Quick Attacks and Fake Outs for the team. It can also switch into pokemon choice locked into a fire type move.

Shaymin @ White Herb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 140 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 112 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Synthesis

Although Shaymin has the capacity to sweep teams, that really isn't its role in this team. Shaymin's job is to act as a secondary answer to Ground and Water types (besides Zapdos) but more importanlty to take aqua jets from Azumarill. Shaymin is the most replaceable member of this team, as it only really deals with Azumarill. Its EV spread work the same way as with Zapdos. Earth Power and HP Ice give Shaymin near unresisted coverage. Synthesis is really helpful in dealing with Sucker Punchers and healing off residual damage.

Threatlist:
Xatu:

If your opponent is really smart, playing against this is a challenge. You've just got to put on your prediction cap and hope for the best.

Rhyperior:

The standard tank set is very threatening to this team, especially if the opponent has a very solid Shaymin counter. It can rock blast Aerodactyl so I can only taunt it and can't get up rocks. It forces Smeargle to Spore first and then Shell Smash (because of rock blast) and can phaze with Roar or Dragon tail. If you can predict your opponent to lead with it, lead off with Shaymin or Chandelure and take it out ASAP.

Ambipom:

Fake Out means it can stop any of my sweepers except Chandelure (for which it may pack beat up). Smeargle can't always setup on it either courtesy of Double Hit or Beat Up. You may have to lose Heracross' Sash to take this thing out.

Umbreon/Snorlax + Gligar:

+

Heracross gets walled by gligar, while Umbreon/Snorlax wall the special attackers. Your best bet is Shaymin as thanks to Seed Flare's high chance to lower Special Defense, it can muscle past Umbreon/Snorlax. Stealth Rocks would also be very useful if facing this duo.

Whimsicott/Liepard:

If it's packing stun spore/thunder wave, it can paralyse your sweeper and most probably end its sweep. Luckily these pokes aren't too common and Zapdos can often sweep even after being paralysed.

Abomasnow:

Thanks to its ability, Abomasnow can be a terror to my team. It breaks all the focus sashes and residual damage in general is just annoying. Somehow, not too many players see Abomasnow's value and so I haven't had to face it yet and so I don't know how I would deal with it. My guess would be keeping Chandelure and Heracross around would prove helpful in winning against hail.

Conclusion:
All in all, I really had fun playing with this team. At times, I had battles in which I don't even need to think and at other times I had to make very bold predictions. I think SmashPass in UU is a little bit broken, as sometimes, even though the opponent may have a very standard UU team, it stands absolutely no chance against smashpass. It really is an easy team to use and takes very little skill to use effectively.

Importable:
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Spore
- Baton Pass
- Magic Coat

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Zapdos @ White Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 140 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Baton Pass

Heracross @ Focus Sash
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Shaymin @ White Herb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 140 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Synthesis

Cool idea, also moxie>guts on heracross if you are running focus sash and no status orb.
Heracross doesn't really need the power boost from moxie since it's already so powerful at +2.
With guts, Heracross can't be stopped by prankster Will 'o Wisp from Sableye.

I'm diggin' the team big time. I've played a smashpass smeargle before too (I also ran magic coat XD), but ran into the problem that if smeargle failed (didint happen too often), my strategy went to hell. It looks like you've got a team of pokes that are still fine without the boost from shell smash, although maybe not as effective as you'd hope. Maybe consider some item/ability changes to help cope with the off chance that the smash boost doesnt reach your intended sweeper. It looks like Weavile would have a field day with this team, especially if coupled with a lead abomasnow as you already mentioned as a threat. Priority LO+hail boosted Ice shard wrecks house on half your team, with night slash defeating chandelure. The best way to deal with weavile would be risking heracross's life to stop him with a CC. Im working on coming up with possible solutions that might help:)

Cool team! Smashpass is a great strategy in uu i ran a smasbpass team and its pretty fun to say the least. Just a few nitpicks though...
1. Smashpass can fail pretty epic if your opponent sees the strategy (although most people forgetting smeargle with magic coat is an easy win if they go to taunt with sableye). I would recommend a 2nd boost passer like venomoth who can absorb t spikes and induce sleep with sleep powder. It also has wonderskin which turn roar into an infuriating 50% accurate move. I would say replace venomoth with shaymin for a quiverpass user since it can ohko weavike with bug buzz.
2. Chandy is kinda meh. I think youre better off with a trickscarf set which would create opportunities for smashpass by locking a poke into a useless move.
3. The only other change i would make is for you to try mixed nidoking instead of heracross. It sounds crazy but listen. Superpower/ice beam/fire blast (flamrthrower) and earthpower gives you perfect coverage. A +2 lo boosted superpower is close to a ohko on standard lax and umbreon and they can be finished with a +2 lo sheer force boosted earthpower. Tbis nidoling wikl ket you take on the physical walls easily while surprising the special walls you usually cant break through!

Good team otherwise!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)