Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

Another batch down, 100 new! Little slower now since I'm breeding a few new things, and not explicitly aiming for shinies. Still, 100 fresh masuda/shiny charm eggs to add to the tally.

800 eggs, 3 shinies total.

1035 Swablu Eggs Hatched
1 Shiny Swablu

622 Caterpie Eggs Hatched
1 Shiny Caterpie

< 200 Nincada Eggs Hatched
1 Shiny Nincada

Lost track on the Nincada, sorry.

Quick (sad) update on the Torchic front: I'm giving up right now. 600 eggs, not a sparkle. I'll probably change the pokémon I'm going for, because I'm not in the mood for such a huge drought again.

Total: 3750 eggs
Shinies: 5

Yes, this logic is wrong. Let's say the true shiny rate is 1/1000. A player, who let's say does not know the true shiny rate, decides to hatch 1000 eggs. More often than not, he will get a shiny out of 1000 eggs. Sometimes it happens after 50 eggs, or 500 eggs, or 950 eggs. If he hatches a shiny after 50, 500, or 950 eggs, and then hatches the rest without any shiny, the rate would be 1/1000. Sometimes he won't hatch any shinies in 1000 eggs, but he should get a shiny more often than not. So, if he stops after hatching the shiny, the rates would be 1/50, 1/500, and 1/950. If the player stops after hatching a shiny, the perceived rate would be much lower than the true rate. This is what Goomy pls meant when he spoke of biased vs. unbiased data. Stopping after hatching a shiny would create a biased dataset, and continuing to 1000 eggs (or however many you originally decide) would create an unbiased dataset.

If you assume the shiny charm + Masuda method works as it did in generation V, the rate would be 8/4096 in generation VI, since it was 8/8192 in generation V. So that's 1/512 this generation, but we won't know that for sure until we do the research or get a hacker to confirm it.

Shiny charm with my USA Mudkip and ITA Ditto.

500 eggs- no shiny!
Completely and utterly wrong. You have a comulavite goal of 50 000 egs so it doesn't matter what goal an individual has, neither does it matter what rates they get before the goal is reached. The whole project is the rate of shinies to the number 50 000. Even then of course, the whole project will be meaningless because the wheel of fate only gives when it wants to and it clearly favours some above others. Hopefully someone will hatch just 10/10 to make you realise that.

finished my mixed batch of eggs so my total so far

eggs 300
shiny 0

going for a shiny eevee next. 120 eggs at a time (4 boxes of eggs at a time)
going for a total of 500 this batch i'll report back after the first 120

English UK Ditto (Kalos)

French Eevee (Kalos)

also any tips on racking up steps on the 3DS or is a daily 4km run the only way i'm gonna keep a constant hatching power level 3

Last edited:
Haven't played much Pokemon lately, continued some Maison streaks and then hatched another batch of 60 eggs today in my free time. Got a shiny Snover.

Total eggs - 2690
Total shinies - 8

I hatched a further 125 eggs. I got my shiny pawniard at last... but it's missing IV was attack >.>, so both my shinies so far have been of no use :(

Total Hatched : 1355
Total Shinies : 2

every time i report i start over from 0 so you can add the all the numbers together. i just separate them based on the pokemon i breed the 2450 is what i hatched for obtaining a shieldon, the 450 is for the helioptile. so adding together would be 1735+2450+450=4635 totaling 7 shinies.
Ah ok thought so but didn't want to have the wrong totals on the sheet. Thanx I'll remember next time :)

The Scientist

Heheh, not a Silph worker...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Completely and utterly wrong. You have a comulavite goal of 50 000 egs so it doesn't matter what goal an individual has, neither does it matter what rates they get before the goal is reached. The whole project is the rate of shinies to the number 50 000. Even then of course, the whole project will be meaningless because the wheel of fate only gives when it wants to and it clearly favours some above others. Hopefully someone will hatch just 10/10 to make you realise that.
Seagul, can you expand on your thoughts? Are you agreeing with me about the originally quoted post was wrong, or are you disagreeing with me? If you'll read further down on that page, what I meant was there shouldn't be a mix of data collection methods. For example, you should not have some people doing a set amount while others only hatch until they get a shiny. Ideally, the best method would be to pledge a certain number of shinies, say 5 or 10, and record how many encounters there were until each shiny was encountered. If you're curious, see the thread in my signature for how I used this data collection technique to figure out the shiny rate in the friend safari.

Hello everybody, I just signed up, and I'd like to help with the research, I have the Shiny Charm and 6 IV JAP Ditto.
I'll do batches of 50 Eggs until I get I shiny; that means that if I get a Shiny at 204, I'm still going until I reach 250 (Batches of 50).
I'm starting off with these 5 Mons.

1. First Shiny Hunt: ENG Gastly + JAP Ditto (Total: 150 Eggs; 1 Shiny).
- Hatched a Timid
Shiny Gastly (31/x/31/31/30/31) at Egg #142.

2. Second Shiny Hunt: ENG Froakie + JAP Ditto (Total: 850 Eggs; 0 Shinys).
- Hatched a Shiny Timid Torrent Froakie (20/31/31/31/31/31) at Egg #1202.
- Hatched a Shiny Timid Protean Froakie (31/31/31/31/13/31) at Egg #1204.

3. Third Shiny Hunt:
ENG Fletchling + JAP Ditto (Total 300 Eggs; 1 Shinys).
- Hatched an Adamant Gale Wings Shiny Fletchling (31/31/10/31/31/31) at Egg#887.

4. Fourth batch: ENG Honedge + JAP Ditto (Total: 100 Eggs; 0 Shinys).

5. Fifth batch: ENG Ralts + JAP Ditto (Total: 100 Eggs; 0 Shinys).

Total Eggs: 1500.
Shiny Count: 4.
Updated post #1230, it's been a while since my last update, but finally I hatched the Shiny Protean Froakie, right after hatching a Shiny Torrent Froakie :). Although it has a crappy 13 IV on Sp. Def, I love it the way it is, just as my shiny Fletchling :D. So far my results are:

Total Eggs: 1500.
Shiny Count: 4

So, does the Masuda method give a higher chance for the egg to have the same Shiny Value as yours? Or does the TSV not really matter much? Also, what if the number is close to your TSV?

Hello! I been following this post for a while but I didn't have the shiny charm. Now I recently got it, so I will be willing to help this great idea. I'm planning to breed complete batches of 30 eggs until I get the a shiny pokémon I'm looking for.Hope that soon I will be reporting some shinies! :D

Batch update

120 eggs hatched out of my 500 no shiny

batches so far

Completed batches
---------------------
300 eggs - 0 shiny

in progress batch
---------------------
120/500 eggs - 0 shiny

egg count: 5770
Shiny: 10
(1002th egg) Kricketot (Pokeball)
(1088th egg) Blitzle (Pokeball)
(2376th egg) Cottonee (Pokeball)
(3340th egg) Eevee (Love Ball)
(3840th egg) Misdreavus (Moon Ball)
(3841th egg) Shuppet (Moon Ball)
(5108th egg) Vulpix (Love Ball)
(5343th egg) Cherubi (Love Ball)
(5410th egg) Mawile (Moon Ball)
(5767th egg) Yamask (Moon Ball)

Will be going for a Love Ball Ralts next....hehe

Eggs hatched: 2225
Shinies: 2

So, does the Masuda method give a higher chance for the egg to have the same Shiny Value as yours? Or does the TSV not really matter much? Also, what if the number is close to your TSV?
The TSV is your Trainer Shiny Value, and the ESV is your Egg Shiny Value. A shiny pokemon is hatched from the eggs whose ESVs match exactly to your TSV. And yes, the Masuda Method increases the chance of the TSV/ESV matching (hatching a shiny). Someone in this thread will know the exact chances with certain variables

updating- been awhile since my last update

2500 hatched 6 shinies

#540 Kanghaskhan
#1344 Fletchling
#1837 Drillbur
#1915 Porygon
#2299 Riolu
#2324 Eevee

My odds have gotten much better as I've gone on- probabilities are funny that way I guess!

Last edited:
has anyone confirmed if same language but different region triggers the masuda method

it was generally believed in gen 5 and below it was based on language.

but since in gen 6 the region seems to be more defined does it now work?

if no one knows if someone can trade me a USA/CAD/AUS magikarp I will investigate

has anyone confirmed if same language but different region triggers the masuda method

it was generally believed in gen 5 and below it was based on language.

but since in gen 6 the region seems to be more defined does it now work?

if no one knows if someone can trade me a USA/CAD/AUS magikarp I will investigate
Apparently it works on different languages, you could breed a USA Magikarp with a UK Magikarp and that would not affect the shiny chances

Apparently it works on different languages, you could breed a USA Magikarp with a UK Magikarp and that would not affect the shiny chances
has this been confirmed for gen 6 since it clearly now knows the difference between same language regions (vivilion colours)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)