Shiny Rarity

I realize that shinies are uber-rare on the field, but damn! I have over 188 game hours, have hatched more pokemon than I can count, and fought even more, and still have yet to see a single one! I DO have a Shiny, but it was obtained through the Poke-Radar trick (Electrike).

Back in Ruby/Emerald, I got a total of two (Nidorino and Zubat) with about twice as much game-time, but I simply haven't had any luck in Diamond...

So is this normal? Or am I just totally, extremely, unlucky?

On that note, thank GOD for the Poke-Radar trick! :heart:

I have almost the same amount of game hours and I spend the majority of my time breeding as well and have yet to find one so it's not just you.

Got a Zubat on Ruby and that's it for advanced gen.

I was in Safari Zone on Fire Red getting HM03 and on the way back I was messing around and found a shiny Nidorino. Course, I threw a ball at it and missed, then it ran away so I was pissed. But from about 800 hours all game time combined, I've only seen that shiny.

I've got two boxes full of them. From trades and the such.

I've caught 3 shinies myself, Slakoth, from the PokéRadar thing.

I don't seem to be able to make that work, highest chain I've gotten is 12, not sure what it is I'm doing wrong as I think I am following the instructions correctly.

The chance of finding a shiny without that radar trick is really, really small. It's like saying you're extremely lucky you've never been hit by an earthquake during all the years that you've lived in a country where earthquakes are rare.

Eh, it's quite hard and annoying to do. The Slakoth thing was pure luck, haven't caught any past then.

Shinies are stupid, anyway. Rarely do they actually look superior to the original. Or even comparable.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Out of about 1200 hours play on Emerald/Pearl, I've only acquired two. I caught a Shiny Spinda whilst EV training, and I hatched a Shiny Piplup that had pretty good IV's but was Bashful. That pissed me off a little.

Shinies are ridiculously rare. So rare, that when I see people using them competitively, I just assume it's hacked. Not always the case, but I'd be right 90% of the time.

Hah! Anyone using a shiny competitively that wasn't hacked might as well be trying to win the lottery. Because with that luck, they have the best chance to win out of everyone. o.o;

Hah! Anyone using a shiny competitively that wasn't hacked might as well be trying to win the lottery. Because with that luck, they have the best chance to win out of everyone. o.o;

Well, when you're breeding for IV's all things considered with good parents and using an everstone, if in the offchance you happen to hatch a shiny, the chance of the IV's being at least 'useable' and having the right nature I'd say are 50/50, it's just rare to hatch a shiny in the first place.

I must have been very lucky to have found 3 shinies in just under 300 hours of play. Weepinbell, Zangoose, and Cacturne. :)

Within 250 hours of play on Ruby; I got the following shinies-
-Zangoose
-Golbat
-Electrike (now evolved and lost ;_;)
-Marill
-Slugma

I also got a shiny caterpie within 5 hours of play on Leaf Green but lost it ;_;

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In Emerald, if you have a 'good' Trainer ID and secret ID, you can actually find shinies with disturbing regularity (well, compared to the rate of shinies you usually get) by soft-resetting.

In the other games, it is really difficult to get a shiny.

in probably a few hundred hours (i replayed it a lot) on sapphire i caught 2 shinies, shuppet and machop. all other shinies i have were traded to me. im on 130 hours on diamond and no shinies except traded ones yet.

btw, secret ID?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Haven't caught any in third or fourth gen, and caught a shiny Onix in Sliver. Ehh I was always unlucky in that department, but then again I haven't used the Pokeradar much and only played 40 odd hours on Pearl.

I got two in Emerald/FireRed in quite short succession. Trying to fill my D/P dex I needed a few. Go out and catch some on Emerald, find a shiny Solrock. Then I plug in FireRed and I go to catch a Weedle and it's shiny. That was some nice luck. The only other one I've got is a Walrein, which I hatched when breading to get Spheal in my Pokedex. It's got decent IVs too (31/8/26/24/20/31), they're just a bit too weak than you'd want for competitive.

Oh, and in GBC games I got me a shiny Gyarados...

I've never found one in game, but I have a bunch from trades and the like.

But I've seen my friend's Torterra (he only played the game, not competitively) and it was shiny. So i'm guessing he got a shiny out of the suitcase at the very beginning of the game.

Between my Sapphire and Diamond I’ve played over 1000 hours and haven’t encountered a single one, I believe that rates highly on any bad luck scale, especially when I know people who’ve played the game two days and caught shiny pokemon, I’m the only person of about ten of my friends that haven’t see one, and I’ve played the most, guess that’s just the odds eh?

I got 7 shinies in the 3rd gen, and a shiny bidoof while trying to chain with the pokeradar.

I'm yet to hatch a shiny, which basically means the shinies i have are just a novelty, there nice to look at, but with the ivs and natures they have they'll never see a battle.

I want to use my shinies competatively as a novelty, but with some of them it's just retarded. I've caught 4 shinies in D/P using the PokeRadar; Meditite, Skitty, Flaaffy and Smoochum. The Meditite had a neutral nature and non-terrible IVs, so I EV trained it and I now use a sexy blue Medicham in-game (possibly competatively if I feel it's good enough). Skitty/Delcatty are pretty useless at any stage of competative play, and Ampharos doesn't have much going for it in D/P. Jynx could've seen some use if it didn't have the worst nature possible for a Jynx, Adament. <_<

But yeah, if I ever manage to chain a Nincada, you can bet your arse I'll be using Ninjask competatively even if it's IVs/Nature aren't stellar. I tend to play based on what I like with some competativeness thrown in, but not hardcore like most. You win some, you lose most, but it's still a lot more fun than "Using the fat pink egg because it's the only special wall that would fit my team."

I seriously hate those lucky (BAN ME PLEASE) who soft reset to get a shiny starter. geting a starter in DP takes a lot longer than in previous gens due to the story it follows...
and somehow some people still have the time to soft reset for a shiny starter and manage to get them

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have found 2 shinies without using the radar trick. A Shiny Mr. Mime and a Shiny Scyther, both in my Diamond.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)