1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Shiny Rarity

Discussion in 'Stark Mountain' started by DarkJester, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Lady_Lyndis

Lady_Lyndis

I cought a shiny sudowoodo and hatched a shiny torchic.
    Sudowoodo is brave, and EV'd, didn`t know bout ivs when i got it, so i didnt check. he's great trick roomer though
  2. Krampus

Krampus

Got 2 shiny Shinx through chaining and they are also the only shinies i've
    ever seen.
  3. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I decided to try chaining for shinies, just to see for myself. It took me quite a while to get the hang of long chaining. Once I started following all the chaining advice (Serebii forums were very helpful), I got it down pat. I decided to chain Shinx, since with a Static pokemon lead, they are super-easy to chain. Also, I think shiny Shinx looks really cool.

It took a couple of hours to get my chain to 41. After that, I started resetting for shinies. I went through about 30 Max repels (which is about 120 resets, taking an hour or so) before getting completely sick of the process. I was about to give up and make a post here about how the "high shiny rate with 40+ PokeRadar chains" appeared to be a load of crap, according to my testing. But, I left my DS for a few hours to clear my mind and stop looking at that fucking grass patch on Route 202. When I came back, I decided to finish out my Max Repels, and I had about 20 left. Five resets later -- Boom! -- a sparkle of grass very different than I'd seen before. Sure enough, shiny Shinx...

I was a total skeptic and was prepared to prove it by slaving away for a few hours. Even if you add up all the resets (roughly 150), and assuming I stayed in the middle of the grass for each Radar press, that's only about 600 pokemon encounters. For a 1/8192 occurence, I'd say I would have to be pretty lucky to get that shiny without help from the game.

BTW, I've logged hundreds of hours in all the Pokemon games, and I've never encountered a shiny before, much less caught one.

I'm a believer now.
  4. Pikachu of Doom

Pikachu of Doom

So technicly if you know your secret ID you can breed for shinies...
  5. dchao

dchao

yes, you will see a lot of hacked shinies have their trainer ID reset to 000000, I bet the hidden ID's also reset to a pre-determined value (possibley 000000 too).
  6. Dragontamer

Dragontamer

Hmm, thats about a 7.07% chance that you would find a shiny by then assuming that it doesn't help...

Hmm, at very least, we know that the radar helps anyway, due to the simple fact that you're scanning 4 or so pokemon encounters at a time. Nonetheless, I'd like to see some real solid proof of this >_>
  7. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Trust me, I was moments away from quitting. I was convinced it was a load of BS. I kept telling myself, "Why am I wasting my time doing this?" For all I knew, I was statistically only marginally closer to a shiny than I was when I started. 1 in 8192 is incredibly long odds. I pride myself on completing some of the more Draconian boredom tasks in Pokemon (and there are lots of them) -- but I wasn't about to chase a 1 in 8000 shot at a shiny.

But, there were enough testimonials out there, and I was a little interested in separating truth from fiction on the whole chaining process. Which, seemed to have a lot of suspicious "rules" that smelled more like religion than science. "Always walk to a shaking grass patch at least four steps away", "Stay away from edges", etc -- that stuff sounded pretty hokey to me, and smelled more like "Pokemon urban legend" and not real gameplay advice.

Well, I have to admit, the chaining advice was spot-on. Almost all of it. The "four steps rule" is a bit of overkill, but probably a good rule to follow when your chain starts getting really long and you only need a few more to get to 40. I felt a little stupid for following all the little nuances of the "chaining ritual", but it did get me out of the 10-20 range and into the 40's.

Once I got to 40, after several resets, I really started feeling like an idiot for spending a few hours on the stupid quest. At that point, I just wanted to keep an eye the number of fruitless resets I was making, so I could proudly quote the number when I told everyone about my complete waste of time, that everyone else should avoid. Even though I was sick of it, at 100 resets after chaining 40, it just didn't seem like enough resets to claim "I really tried". So I decided to get to 200 and then I would post my failure, along with all sorts of snide comments about the crap people were saying about using the PokeRadar for finding shinies.

And I'll be damned if a shiny didn't pop up. I couldn't believe it. I was excited and a little disappointed at the same time. I REALLY wanted to call bullshit on the whole thing. But, I have a legit shiny, and I can honestly say I worked hard for it (inasmuch as pokemon boredom tests can be considered work).

I know 7% seems somewhat reasonable, but that also means there was a 93% chance I would find nothing. I just don't think I'm that lucky. I won't claim that this was a real scientific test or anything. But, if there are any fellow skeptics out there, perhaps my tale will help you decide whether or not you want to give it a try. If so, please post your results...
  8. Dunk

Dunk

What about that equation that someone (Mario with Lasers, I believe) posted about loadingNow discovering the formula for the PokeRadar? I mean this in the most polite way possible, but...is that not proof enough?
  9. _Sparkball606_

_Sparkball606_

I have 254 hours,and randomly came across I think 6.

Shppet,Rhydon,Poliwag,Buneary,Burmy,oh yeah Azelf.
  10. ffluffy

ffluffy

i got the game 2 days before the game was officially released in the us and currently have 683:24 hours and i still didn't come across a shiny (due mainly to battling but i'm not complaining.)

cuz shinies aren't really that important except to show off. normal ones are just as good.
  11. firewater

firewater

hatched a shiny Larviar, but I havent been too sucessful on Poke-Radaing, best i've done is a streak of 18
  12. Glennie

Glennie

Lol, before I started breeding I was a shiny hunter! I caught 138 shinies with the poke radar (2 of them appeared in a normal patch, so they were just random - calm shiny Blissey!!) and I got 3 of them in 3rd gen!

I also got a total of 3 boxes full with traded shinies.

0_o
  13. SonicBlade

SonicBlade

I actually have a few competitive shines I managed to get. I had a brave fainted ralts in my lead position while chaining Lickitungs and got 3 shiny(two brave one is now a brave gyro ball/explosion Lickilicky) and Another time I had a modest ralts in my party lead and got 3 shiny ralts(two modest one serious). About 10 minutes after that I came back for more but I was sleepy and accidently stepped into a patch that didn't shake on about the fourth poke and lo and behold an orange kricketot appears:happybrain:
  14. Beastmanboy

Beastmanboy

I have only caught three in D/P, I was a able to catch a shiny gyarados(adamant), a shiny machoke (lonely), and a shiny feebas (impish). poke radar doesnt work for me, my highest chain is 20.
  15. ViralKite

ViralKite

I've found a total of 3 so far. Shiny Gentle Hariyama on my Ruby.

I found a shiny Jolly Zubat on my Emerald at Meteor Falls. Made me happy to get a good nature for it.

Finally back on my Ruby when I was riding on my bike I found a shiny Lax Skarmory.
  16. MajinNecro69

MajinNecro69

My only three shinies are a Dratini & Rayquaza I got from a giveaway, and an Espeon I traded for. The Espeon's EV's are mad screwed up too...
  17. Metalgross

Metalgross

My only shiny was a 'z' Unown while searching for either the '?' or '!'. I had HP Water. After hearing about chaining, I've wanted to try it, but never got around to it.

http://pokeguide.filb.de/downloads/chain.pdf

I honestly understand almost none of it, but by looking at the chart at the bottom, it would appear that the chances of finding a shiny at a chain of 40 is ~1/190.
  18. Toothache

Toothache Let the music play!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I've seen precisely two shinies in my own games, an Electrike from Emerald, which I caught, and in Leaf Green, a shiny Venomoth in the Safari Zone, which promptly ran away.
  19. Blue Ditto

Blue Ditto

I have three shinies, all in Ruby--a shiny Aggron evolved from a Lairon I caught on Victory Road (there was a LOT of luck involved--my Minun nearly KO'd it with Spark, and then the Lairon used Take Down which showed me it, fortunately, had Rock Head, and it didn't use Roar, and I caught it on the first or second Ultra Ball...), a shiny Hariyama (thank goodness it didn't use Whirlwind...), and a shiny Zigzagoon.

But other than that and a shiny Lickitung I once owned on Silver, nada. I'm not complaining too much though... :3
  20. MackDaddyMario64

MackDaddyMario64

I got a Shiny Ratatta *Who is now a Shiny Raticate* and a Shiny Venonat on my LeafGreen.
  21. Iced

Iced

(On Diamond)
    I actually hatched a shiny Ghastly with amazing IV's and a modest nature at 40 or so hours.
    I also SR for a shiny Dialga but it has docile nature :/
    that took me about 3 hours.

but other than that I've never caught or seen any shiny pokemon in any of the previous games, not including Red Gyarados.
  22. WeavileTamer

WeavileTamer

I have caught 3 shinies in my entire time of playing pokemon
    shuppet, mareep , and tentacruel which was the only pokemon that I encountered on the sea route to the E4

My bro caught a shiny spearow the day that he complained about my shinies
  23. Braveheart

Braveheart

I've played lots of pokemon games with only 2 shinys
    -leaf green Golbat(now Crobat)
    -Ruby Poochyena(now Mightyena)
    I'm currently trying to get a shiny Torchic.With little luck =/
  24. ENZ0

ENZ0
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

My first and only shiny caught has been Gastly in FireRed. I don't recall well the circumstances, but I believe I was EV training by killing Gastlys. After a while of killing the undead, I found it. I was in shock for a couple of minutes; I was glad I had some pokeballs. Very fun times.
  25. Arcticblast

Arcticblast
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

A mod posting in a 4-year-old thread necro'd by a first time user... Oh my.

That said, I found a shiny Ratatta in a Nuzlocke once. Fuck Nuzlocke rules, I caought the bastard. It had Run Away. Close enough.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)