1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Shiny Rocks

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by ChrisTehAwesome, Nov 3, 2012.

1. ChrisTehAwesome

ChrisTehAwesome

At a glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Welcome to my first RMT! This team was made for the OU suspect test and managed to get me my voting requirements despite some mediocre playing on my part. Kyurem-B looked really cool and 170 base attack was interesting, so I decided to give it my all.

I knew I wanted a Drag-mag team to start it off, but it didn't really work. The only elements of Drag-mag I managed to keep were Dragonite and Magnezone. Then I added a lead Terrakion, a banded scizor, and two devestating rock polish sweepers to wreak havoc.

[​IMG]

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt

Lead Terrakion does what it needs to, and does it well. Most of the time I can reliably get up my rocks and taunt other leads. EVs are pretty standard, with special defense for the occasional giga drain Genesect, although those don't really tend to lead so I might change that to defence to reduce U-turn damage. Focus Sash is really useful as it lets me beat lead Breloom and KO with close combat. This set still loses to Deoxys-D with magic coat, but then again what lead doesn't.

[​IMG]
    Dragonite @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - ExtremeSpeed

Classic dragonite is classic. What can I say about this guy that hasn't already been said? Extremespeed is probably his most useful benefit on this team, but he occasionally surprises me and my opponent with a nice mid game sweep. Earthquake is also quite useful to dispose of choiced Terrakions and locked into close combat as well as slower threats such as Metagross, even though he isn't seen as much these days. Finally, outrage lets me put huge dents in anything that isn't expecting it. It also lures in steels such as Ferrothorn or Jirachi who can easily be revenged by Magnezone.

[​IMG]
    Magnezone @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 148 HP / 108 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt

Choice Specs Magenzone is arguably the most powerful trapper in the game. With the power to beat specially defensive Ferrothorn and Jirachi in the rain most of the time (double protects are my nemeses), Magnezone is the perfect partner for Dragonite. Magnezone sometimes finds its way into my lead spot, mostly against rain teams without Dugtrio. Electric coverage is also a necessary slot that Magnezone must fill, as my particular Genesect set lacks thunderbolt, and bulky Tentacruel may be able to stop my sweep.

[​IMG]

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Bug Bite

In the midst of a Genesect + 5 metagame, banded scizor rears its ugly head. Bullet punch is his main contribution to my team, and functions as an excellent revenge killer. Scizor cleans up weakened Latias and Dragonites as well as Tornadus-T late game. The perfect offensive partner to my Genesect, it cleans up or weakens depending on the point in the game.

[​IMG]

Genesect @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam
    - Rock Polish
    - Giga Drain

Meet Rock Polish Genesect, the most versatile and easy to run set, in my opinion. The plan is simple: send him in on something choiced or something that is scared out, rock polish on the switch, and enjoy the opponent's reaction as you proceed to sweep half their team. Forgoing U-turn means I can run a timid nature instead of lowering my defense, allowing me to live a Fighting Gem boosted Mach Punch from Techniloom. Opponents don't usually see Giga Drain coming, and the difference in power from Thunderbolt is almost negligible. I can't count how many times someone has sent in a bulky water such as Gastrodon only to let me gain health back and prolong my sweep. The only pokemon that really wall this set are specially bulky steels in Rain and bulky waters neutral to giga drain, such as Gyarados and Tentacruel. This guy is extremely dangerous and this set, over any other, pushes him into suspect range IMO.

[​IMG]

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Rock Polish
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Psychic

Can you say late game? Sheer force Landorus is the second of my two Rock Polish sweepers, and has pulled of almost as many comebacks as Genesect has. Depending on the opposing team, the game can end by either of these two powerhouses, and each are equally scary. Sheer Force boosted Earth Power deals over 70% to specially defensive Forretress and strikes fear into the heart of Tentacuel. Psychic allows me to take out Keldeo and other fighting types. I don't have too much to say about this guy, as I'm sure many people already know how devestating his set is.

Closing Comments: This team has a massive Gyarados weakness. Tough to say it, but there it is. Other than that I've had a lot of success with it, keeping up the offensive pressure with my Rock Polish sweepers and destroying Politoed's with specs Magnezone. It's been a lot of fun to use. Thanks for reading!

Also thanks to Bulbagarden, Deviantart, Gamegravy, and Gaiaonline for helping me remedy my lack of artistic talent.
  2. ChrisTehAwesome

ChrisTehAwesome

Reserved for threat list
  3. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Great team dude, you're definitely right about your dual RP sweepers doing work on offensive teams!

So for your Gyarados weakness the simplest change I see is flipping Magnezone to a Choice Scarf Magneton. The set I suggest is:

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Magneton @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt / Thunder
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Magneton provides a solid check to DD Gyarados, as it out speeds and OHKOs easily with its Electric-type attacks. This also provides a potent check to Tornadus-T who I can see doing some work on your team as nothing resists it's moves while also out speeding on your current team. Magneton again can come in on its Hurricanes and threaten it out. Be aware though that this change will make it harder for you to reliably trap and kill things such as Ferrothorn in the rain. I believe though that with our current super offensive metagame its more pertinent to have offensive checks than ways around defensive 'mons.

Another small change that might help with DD Gyarados is trying Quick Attack over Bug Bite on Scizor. While Quick Attack won't do tons of damage it beats out the resisted Bullet Punch any day. This might just help you out against the (admittedly) rare Gyarados.

Good Luck!
  4. Neliel

Neliel Sacred Sword

Hi there! Nice team, but i still see some weaknesses. First of all, you should really change the set of your Landorus. Psichic here is not doing much to any check of Landorus, and Earth power can still hit hard fighting types. Focus Blast instead of Psichic helps you dealing with Skarmory, ferrothorn, Blissey, Rotom-w, Tyranitar. Focus blast is a generally better move since fight+ice+earth is the best coverage that you can have. Also, i think that Giga drain on genesect doesnt help against anything else than gastrodon, but you can still hit it with Bug buzz, which is a generally better move thanks to the stab. Other that that, great team :x
  5. Gimmick

Gimmick Electric potential

Hey Chris!

This team definitely looks threatening, but some of the movesets and EVs could be revamped a bit. First of all, definitely go with Joeyboy's suggestion of Magneton over Magnezone for the reasons he stated. It also supplies some speed to this team via Scarf, which this team currently lacks. Next, on Scizor, I would consider Pursuit over Bug Bite since it's able to remove threats that can take down your Rock Polish sweepers, such as Gengar (I'm going to suggest something over Psychic later). Quick Attack, as Joeyboy said, is also a very viable option since it's able to deal with offensive Waters like Keldeo that prove to be massive threats to your team.

Now onto your RP core. First of all, since Genesect underspeeds a ton of Pokemon because of its awkward base 99 (without a RP boost), a Timid nature isn't really necessary (with a Rock Polish set). Instead, it really appreciates a Modest nature to dish out as much damage as possible to the Pokemon that try to take it out. Similarly, you'll want to be able to take as many priority moves as possible while outspeeding as many Scarfers as you can, so I'd suggest investing in some HP, specifically 140 EVs. This leaves you with 116 Spe EVs, thus 263 speed points. After a Rock Polish, you outspeed Scarf Latios, arguably the fastest (most common) Scarfer as of now. Without the speed boost, you outspeed the Jolly Breloom speed tier. If you want to up the speed a bit, you could try 204 Spe EVs (54 HP) to outspeed Jolly Stoutland in Sand or Timid Venusaur in Sun; Jolly Mamoswine without a RP. The choice is up to you and your preferences. The extra speed allows you to outspeed pretty much everything in the game while the extra bulk allows you to take common priority moves, such as LO Breloom's Mach Punch while outspeeding the most relevant Scarfer. I would keep your moves as they are. Giga Drain has many more benefits over Bug Buzz on RP Genesect since it's able to hit the Pokemon that often try to stop it, such as Gastrodon, Rotom-W, Mamoswine, and Terrakion. It also hits Water and Rock for SE damage, which is definitely appreciated with Expert Belt. Obviously, you want as much SE coverage as you can get, so Giga Drain is one of the best options. Waters would otherwise wall your set with Bug Buzz, especially Keldeo.

Landorus really appreciates a Timid nature with the amount of speed it carries. It can outspeed non-Scarf Genesect as well as every base 100, so change over from Modest. In addition, the coverage provided by Focus Blast is so much more useful than Psychic on RP Landorus especially. Psychic OHKOs Gengar, Keldeo, and Venusaur but with the changes to Scizor, these aren't much of a problem. Focus Blast, on the other hand, OHKOs Stoutland, Tyranitar, Rotom-W (offensive; after Rocks), and Skarmory (after Rocks), while all can take an Earth Power or Psychic. The goal is to sweep--and OHKOing the more common threats is the key. Anyway, this team looks really fun and difficult to deal with, so congrats!

Summary of Changes

• [​IMG]
      • Pursuit over Bug Bite OR
      • Quick Attack over Bug Bite
    • [​IMG]
      • Change to Scarf Magneton[​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
      • EVs: 140 HP / 252 SAtk / 116 Spd OR
      • EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
      • Modest over Timid
    • [​IMG]
      • Timid over Modest
      • Focus Blast over Psychic
  6. ChrisTehAwesome

ChrisTehAwesome

Changes have been working wonders so far, but I'm finding a weakness to Lavos Sun. Maybe it's something to do with the way I'm playing it. Any suggestions?
  7. EnterRAYZORS

EnterRAYZORS

I secong the scarf > specs on mag. However this can render your mag pointless in rain against rachi. However a simple trap. Volt switch. Lando. (as thunder is probs coming) will do the trick as you force a switch and gain the momentum to get up a free RP. So yeah scarf > specs.
    Also on lando timid > modest as this makes him more offensive and a bigger threat even if you dont grab the RP boost.
    Gl with the team

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)