Shoddy Battle 1 Client Update

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've been working off-and-on for several months on a bunch of little changes and improvements to the Shoddy Client. It's been a low-priority project for me, since the Shoddy client is really Colin and Bearzly's thing, not mine. But, when I would come across something that I thought could be fixed, I would patch it up in my local client and use it privately. What started as little pet fixes, eventually grew into a fairly significant patch.

I never intended to keep the code for myself, but I also didn't have much time to get the code cleaned up to the point where it could be used by everyone. Over the past several days, I finally decided to get this thing finished and released. Colin and Bearzly helped quite a bit today to get all these changes tested, compiled, and implemented. Thanks for the help guys!

Here is a quick rundown of all the changes I have made in the new release of the Shoddy Battle 1 client:

• The chat window now remembers its position if you scroll it up. It no longer jumps to the bottom every time a new message is posted. Scroll back down to the bottom, if you want the window to "auto-scroll" like it always has.

• The chat will now remember selected text, even if new messages are posted. Previously, it was very difficult to copypaste from a fast-moving mainchat, since the selection was cleared on every new post.

• The user list remembers selections, even when members join/leave. Previously, it could be very hard to get a right-click menu, since the selection cleared every time server users changed.

• A new "No Challenges" status. This will disallow anyone from randomly challenging you. This should prevent the mass of "Away" users on the server, that are really on the server but don't want to be bothered with challenges from people. Now, the Away status should only be used if you are really away.

• A Change Password feature. Users can change their own password. Admins can also change other users passwords, so that should allow administrative "password resets" where necessary.

• Long lists like ladder ban listings and user alias lists are now scrollable. These lists used to take up more space than could be shown on the screen.

• The Team Builder now shows pokemon sprites without scaling. Certain large pokemon sprites (like Gyarados, for example) would display ugly when scaled. I also fixed a small bug where the shiny sprite wouldn't show correctly if you loaded it from the box.

• The Battle Window now randomly alternates backgrounds amongst 22 different DP battle settings. This necessitated moving around a few screen components, since DP backgrounds are bigger than the RSE background. BTW, these backgrounds DO NOT alter anything in battle as it pertains to moves, abilities, or any other mechanics that may be impacted by the battle setting. This is a purely cosmetic feature.

• Mods and Admins now have a Chat Moderation Control Panel. You can open it from the Admin menu, or by pressing CTRL-M. It opens a window that lists the names of the last 20 posters in mainchat, in order with the most recent poster first. It has buttons for all the standard mod commands. So, moderating mainchat should be much easier.

• Most windows will now open in proximity to the current open window. If you don't use a big screen or multiple monitors, you won't really appreciate this one. But, previously, if you logged onto Shoddy and moved the window, subsequent windows would always open in the upper-left corner of your main monitor. Now, they will open on top of the window that "launches" the new window.

• There is an incomplete "Reset Ladder Ratings" feature. The menu option is grayed out for now. When I get it working properly, I'll turn it on.
That's all I can think of for now. I think I covered all the big stuff. If I missed anything I'll post it here. Enjoy the new features!

(and blame Colin if they don't work right!)
jk...

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Thanks for getting these changes done, Doug!

For anybody who has not got the update yet, navigate to your Java Control Panel (which you can find in the Control Panel in Windows, in Classic View, and elsewhere if you use a different OS), and click the Settings button under Temporary Internet Files, as you can see in this diagram:

That will pop up the following window:

Click "Delete Files" to clear your Java cache. Now, download Shoddy Battle again from here and you should have the new version.

Enjoy!

how do osx users delete these files? i've just got a "could not launch shoddybattle" dialogue. i can pm details if necessary.

also, thanks for all the great work

edit: works now!!!!!

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Big thanks to doug and colin for more excellent work.

You're our shining stars.

I've got the same thing as gorm, I posted it in the simple questions/answers thread thingy.

I'll have a check on Google now lol

@ gorm, I found it. Applications -> Utilities -> Java -> Java Plugin or something

EDIT: Fuck, it still didn't work. It loaded for like 1 minute but still had an error.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Minor cosmetic issues with nested tabs in OS X shown below. The Login button is partly cut off, and the Find tab is only partially visible.

Pictures 3 and 4 show that the chat and PP of pokemon moves gets cut pretty severely with this update.

Attachments

Cathy

Banned deucer.
I believe I have fixed that, user chrisisme. Repeat the instructions from the second post and see if it is better.

Edit: I only fixed the first two. Then you added the other ones later.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This just looks so much better, and those little tweaks make such a difference.

Thank you to everyone involved in making this happen!

and p.s. colin im glad you liked the avatar i picked for you ^__^

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the work Doug! It helps a lot that you keep fixing up Shoddy Battle 1 so that me and Colin can keep our sights set on Shoddy Battle 2. Everyone thank Doug!

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Awesome, all those little niggling things about shoddy that were annoying (bar maybe the open long user list=server crash bug) fixed in one go, plus a couple of extra features! Thanks!

the changes are small but add up to a great improvement when i got a battle i was like oh this is different i lie them backgrounds make a huge diference i find in jsut making it look nicer to play

We love you Doug =D this is excellent, all of the niggling issues with shoddy that drive everyone mental have been fixed. Reset rating coming soon too is also awesome. Keep up the good work ^_^

# Most windows will now open in proximity to the current open window. If you don't use a big screen or multiple monitors, you won't really appreciate this one. But, previously, if you logged onto Shoddy and moved the window, subsequent windows would always open in the upper-left corner of your main monitor. Now, they will open on top of the window that "launches" the new window.
I have a widescreen monitor and I reposition my windows almost obsessively compulsively, so this is good news for me. ^_^

No Challenges is also a good status, but I'll probably keep using Away because, well, I tend to just randomly go to sleep and stuff and not close Shoddy, and wake up to 303539503 PMs. =p

One small problem with the update - the box that shows the moves and their PP isn't big enough. For example, Swords Dance doesn't entirely fit

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
One small problem with the update - the box that shows the moves and their PP isn't big enough. For example, Swords Dance doesn't entirely fit
This is currently only a problem with Macs. We are working to clean up several compatibility issues with OSX right now. I'm on Windows, Colin is on Unix, and Bearzly is on OSX -- between the three of us, I'm sure we can get all three major operating systems working correctly.

(But, I must admit that Macs are the most troublesome of the three, when it comes to Java...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)