Shoddy Battle 1 Client Update

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Update on the chat lag -- We are noticing lag on certain computers and very little on others. We are working to determine the reason for this and we are working to fix it. We'll get to the bottom of this soon, and post an update here.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
bearzly and I just deployed an attempt an fix the lag issues some people have been having. To get it, follow the instructions in the second post in this thread.

This also fixes the issue some OS X users were having opening certain dialogues.

It still freezes up on me way too much, I have a decent computer but it's nearly unplayable.
I think I'm gonna just forget about it.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just one little bug I've noticed - when I bring up the chat moderation window, I can attempt to moderate users "A new battle has begun" and "A battle has completed" when they're just notices from the server.

I've noticed that there is an option for "Open Box" in the tools for Team Builder, but I didn't understand what it did. Would you mind explaining? I think that it might be really useful.

I've beta-tested these features to a few people, so speak up if you're one of them; I'd love to fuse our work together and maybe have a "Not-So-Shoddy Battle" be the result. ^_^
I've tried this myself, and I think it's great. Naturally, it can't compete against Doug's awesome new features, but I would really like to see if you can team up to include Numbuh214's improvements as well.

cyber: the box allows you to store premade Pokemon. Suppose your building a team one day with a standard Choice Band Scizor, and you import that Scizor into the box. A week later, you go to make a team, and you want to use the same Scizor. You can open the box and export that Scizor from the box to your new team. It will have the same moves, EVs, nature, nickname, etc.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The boxes have actually been there for 15 months now. Apparently they weren't noticed very well :p

Thanks UD, that's a great help. Now I definitely won't have as much of a headache when building teams.

@bearzly: I honestly don't think my old shoddybattle had that, I know for sure that there were only two options. I was extremely surprised when I saw open box. Granted, I've made some custom changes to my client but nothing with the team builder. Thanks though =D

the chat scroll bar sticking where you drop it is really annoying in battles, you have to manually scroll down for the rest of the battle for every turn. This is even more annoying than it was before.
I don't know if it's something with my computer, but I just started up shoddy today (I'm the one who was having problems getting shoddy to run without using the install file before, which AFAIK is still the problem), and after it finished downloading I got all those new features, but I also have the above problem even though it was reported fixed. I'm also having a problem where the battle window keeps appearing partially off-screen, a little to the top and left. If it helps any, I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium.

*EDIT*
Just found out that the update to highlighting text in the main chat isn't working for me either. It just highlights everything below the highest point that I originally highlighted whenever someone says something (including join/part messages). Right-clicking on people's names in the list works as intended, though, as does the random backgrounds. I'm also confirming that my problem from the other thread (can't open shoddy without using the install file) still exists, even after completely wiping shoddy from my system. I'm stating this because perhaps what's causing this problem is also causing the other problems I just listed in this post.

After testing this out, I've only run into a few problems:

-At the start of a battle, sometimes the chat log doesn't scroll down to new events once they start happening. Tragging the sidebar to the bottom of the page seems to fix this, however.
-When I'm typing a long message into the chat box in a battle, the chat box often doesn't scroll to show the latest bit of text I've typed. Even doing things like pressing the End key doesn't fix this; it just keeps showing the first 50 characters of my message or whatever it is.
Edit: And I've been running Shoddy on a laptop with Vista Home Premium.

Beyond that though, it seems to be working great and I'm loving the updates; great work.

I've been getting some problems with shoddy since the update. Shoddy tends to freeze occasionally when I run it. This has cost me a few battles so. I was wondering if the update is causing this or something else.

I did a happy dance on Shoddy. :D

Great, you guys! Thanks for the update, it makes Shoddy so much easier to use!

I have not yet identified any major problems, a lot of it works great, and I love the backgrounds! I wish there was some way to tell when you've switched and when roar/whirlwind has been used, I notice that whenever I use roar and my opponent switches, they are usually like "But I sent out (insert Pokemon here)!"

Just a few graphical updates would be lovely! :)

I'm on Vista and since downloading the new client, Shoddy has got really laggy. E.g. I have to wait for a move to be selected, and even then it doesn't pick the right one. Is there a way to reinstall the old version?

I just talked to someone in the know. They claim it's no laggier technically speaking, as per actually checking via some sort of program.

As I type this, I am getting a second delay from when I press enter and the message appearing to various users. I am also completely unable to talk to others.

Do you have a suggestion, doug, to make this 'apparent' but not 'real' lag stop?

Obviously names have been omitted cause I don't wanna seem like a name dropping douche.

Weird, I've been getting this too. I thought it was because I had a frozen uninstaller open... I must have been incorrect.

Awesome! it used to be a pain in the ass to try to challenge somebody from the list of players =P Thanks for this cool update.

I have found a problem though. Don't know if this has been addressed already, but in battles, the text does not get auto scrolled down, which isn't too big of a problem; sometimes I can't figure out whats going on in the battle.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
you can now see why doug was voted smogon's best overall user

thanks to colin and bearzly too for past and continued efforts you are all pokemon trainers (and should suspect that this is a compliment of the higest degree coming from the mighty jumpman16)

I'm experiencing a bit of a problem with the chat window. Occasionally when I go to another window, the chat just stops scrolling. Is there an explanation to this? Using MSIE 7.0 btw.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
When the client changes were first made, there was some lag when typing out chat messages. Colin and I corrected that issue several days ago. Update your client, if you haven't done so already. None of the other changes should cause any more lag than existed prior to the update.

Are you experiencing lag on all servers, or just Smogon University? Because the SU server lags sometimes due to the large number of users and battles going on. That has nothing to do with the client update. Log on one of the less-trafficked servers (like the CAP server, for example) and see if your client is still lagging. If the client does not lag on all servers, then it's likely not a client issue.

Even if your client does lag on all servers, there's not much we can do about it -- since it does not lag appreciably on any of the test clients we run. I've asked many, many users about performance of the client -- and all reports are pretty much the same. There is a small mainchat lag on SU, and almost none on other servers. That's perfectly consistent with traffic and server load. If you are experiencing slow performance, then it is probably something particular to your machine or software configuration.

I notice occasionally when I open shoddy, it'll tell me it's re-downloading the program again. Is this like an auto-update by shoddy? I do detect some changes after that happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)