Shoddy battle really slow.

Shoddy battle grinds to a halt every time I open a team or choose a move. It's so slow I just lost my match from time. Bah.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What's your ISP? What kind of internet connection do you have? What are your computer's specs?

We can't just go "oh, we left in the Slow Code, we'll take that out thanks" :)

I would also appreciate help with this...it takes at least 5-10 seconds between the time I enter an input (chat or move selection in battle) and the time when it happens on screen.

System Information:

Windows Vista 64bit
Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 @2.1GHz
4gb ram
Nvidia 8600M GT
Java 6 update 13
ISP: Stanford.edu
dslreports speed test results:
5500 kbit/s download
2845 kbit/s upload

Alright, I just reinstalled java and when I tried to launch shoddy battle I got this message:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<jnlp
spec="1.0+"
codebase="http://shoddybattle.com/client/"
href="shoddybattle.jnlp">
<information>
<title>Shoddy Battle</title>
<vendor>Colin Fitzpatrick &amp; Benjamin Gwin</vendor>
<homepage href="http://shoddybattle.com" />
<description kind="short">An extensible Pokemon simulator</description>
<description>A pokemon simulator that is free as in freedom</description>
<shortcut online="true">
<desktop />
<menu />
</shortcut>
<icon href="http://shoddybattle.com/client/icon.gif" width="64" height="64" />
</information>
<resources>
<j2se version="1.4+" />
<j2se version="1.5+" />
<j2se version="1.6+" />
<jar href="ShoddyBattleClient.jar" />
<jar href="ShoddyBattle.jar" />
<jar href="PokemonSprites.jar" />
<jar href="swing-layout-1.0.2.jar" />
</resources>
<resources os="Windows" arch="x86">
<nativelib href="ShoddyHelper.jar" />
</resources>
<security>
<all-permissions />
</security>
<application-desc main-class="shoddybattleclient.WelcomeWindow">
<argument>sprites.PokemonSprite</argument>
<argument>http://shoddybattle.com/client/dpmovesets.db</argument>
</application-desc>
</jnlp>
Im sure my computer is good enough for shoddy battle but I don't have a graphics card, windows vista and 3 gigs of ram.

Edit: I used to have a computer that ran shoddy battle fine, the computer had windows XP and only 521 or something megs of ram. The computer used to same internet conection so thats not the problem.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What you just posted is just the contents of the shoddybatle.jnlp file that you downloaded. If it's not opening with java, then something is wrong with your java.

About the performance issues, it sounds like it must be a network problem. You definitely don't need a fancy computer to play Shoddy Battle.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was thinking he might be running an old Pentium 2 or something.

All speed issues I've ever had with Shoddy are the direct result of my internet and network issues, so that's why I wanted to know your ISP. If you have 10 seconds of lag with that ISP, check your network settings.

Do you have any idea of what sort of "issues" we should look into? It's strange that shoddy performs poorly while I can play online games like tf2 with very little lag. Shoddy is the only online program I've run on this network that lags like this and I have no idea why.

Does everyone have to make a new thread every time they encounter a problem? Why not just go to the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread in the this forum?

Bleh. I just reinstalled java AGAIN and it didnt work. I couden't acess the shoddy battle website before and I downloaded it from another site, could that be the problem?

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you can't reach the shoddybattle site, that's a big problem because it has to download some other files from there.

Try removing your cookies/temp internet files/etc and ctrl+f5 to refresh the Shoddy page. That should hopefully let you access the site. (If you haven't been able to access it already)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)