Show me your Sandstorm!

Hello all!

I am in work of building a Sandstorm orientated team that is competitive in BattleSpot, which ladder will be secret for now. ;)

What I would like is to see whoever else has tried this, as it is a bit less favored then the Raindance orientated team.
No matter which ladder you built your team around I would be really interested to you showcasing it and telling us a little about how you use it and your view on it, or even if you just got a team on standby.

Show some love for the theme! <3

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Hello, I'm currently developing and testing a mega ttar oriented doubles team.

I've found that togekiss is a great partner, as it can protect mega ttar using follow me from many common threats, including most fighting type attacks, most prankster antics, and all random single target moves, allowing ttar to get a ddance up safely.

Togekiss is better than amoonguss at this because follow me affects grass types, and because togekiss is flying type, ttar can carry the much more potent edge/quake combo (instead of crunch). Protect is of course still mandatory on ttar, as it is a pretty high priority target, and when togekiss wants do something other than use follow me (like, use dazzling gleam or air slash to remove a check), you'd better be protecting with mega ttar.

Last edited:
I'm trying a doubles Sand Room team right now with Carbink. I'll post details when it's been a bit more ironed out, but it seems to work okay (not great).

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Interestingly, Tyranitar has always been one of my competitive battling pet peeves. Maybe it's the way I build teams but I've been avoiding running it since gen 5 when I can because of how exploitable its weaknesses can be, especially in doubles. I know I'm in the minority but I've never been fond of it. Admittedly, I haven't been using the Mega much since I'm boring and I prefer to run Kanga or Charizard (though not on a sand team).

Therefore, most of my sand teams lead Hippo with Toxic, sustain, and EQ / random coverage move. It's not as adaptable as Tar and it can be a sitting duck in many situations (*cough* special mons with any offensive prowess) but I've found that staying power and good matchups are really nice to have. For singles, I was thinking of stall with Hippo / Ferrothorn / Heatran / Chansey with potentially Charizard and something else for more synergy. Landorus is obvious but very good to run in singles with Hippo, due to how potent it is Sand Force without any boosts. Making the combo less potent are some common weaknesses, but something I'm willing to accept in certain situations.

I have decided to go with double even tho I think the theme does better in singles
So far I am thinking

Physical sweeper:

Tyranitar
Main pokemon to start the sandstorm

Gigalith
To take advantage of the theme

Special sweeper:

Heatran
Main special sweeper and switch-in for Klefki if in danger of fire

Magnezone
As a good counter vs water heavy teams

Support:

Klefki
Go to support

Gastrodon
If enemy got a raindance team or just heavy on water attacks

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Somehow didn't really think about the weakness to fighting when I made the team, no idea why not... :P
Will look over your example and might weary well try it out
I posted that really fast with a few swaps to balance the type chart, dunno how it'll work in the real world, lol. You'll probably want another strong answer to water, and the revision, as posted, still needs to be wary of steels.

Good luck with it! :)

I've restructured my Sand Room Showdown team (actually I was building a new one around Mega Mawile, and it ended up being Sand Room by accident, though that element is minimized). At least as far as I theorized, it can handle most team archetypes, though I'm still experimenting. It's up to around 1300 right now and I haven't had any close calls.

I'm running: Rotom-W @ Safety Goggles, Trick Room Slowbrow, Scrafty, Mega Mawile, Special Snarl Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf (need to be careful with playing him around Trick Room), and a standard Rough Skin Garchomp.

It's packing two Intimidaters, a Fake Out-user, a Trick Room-setter, Rotom-W and Slowbro as an anti-Rain lead, and enough Pokemon to operate with or without Trick Room up. The Sandstorm is really useful, bulking up Tyranitar, Garchomp and Mawile and getting chip damage each turn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)