Showdown, Bring back the 2D sprites...

What do you think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get you want to use the most modern sprites available so the 3DS X and Y sprites will be used over the past B&W ones. However, I like how the 2D sprites looked a lot cleaner while the 3D are out of place in the backgrounds as they are. Part of the appeal to the 3D sprites is their attack animations, which are not part of Showdown and I don't expect them to be. Meanwhile, the animations of the 2D sprite attacks have always just been shakes and partial effects all the way back to Gameboy Color, not unlike Showdown's system. Besides, in Showdown the sprites are just there as place holders for your prefect EV training free dream team, if we wanted HD Special Effects there will always be a Pokemon Stadium for consoles, there's no need to add the more complicated 3D sprites.

Could you atleast add the option to have 2D sprites or 3D? Many of the 2D sprites have already been made and are certainly easier to make by hand over the 3DS sprites.

Lastly, please add the X and Y trainer sprites soon. I would really like to use the Valerie sprite when they're fully made.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stinson, that offends me, nah just kidding.

On a more serious note, I totally understand that a lot of users prefer the 3D models, and the chances of me being able to provide an unbiased opinion are pretty low. But upon seeing how hideous the scaled-up backsprite 3D GIFs look on PS!, I'm having a much harder time seeing the advantages. Seriously, you can't just upscale the 3D sprites like that and expect them to not look all disgustingly blurry.

Also, I feel like CAP tiers should be coded to ALWAYS use sprites over models no matter what. Graphic unity is a lot more important than whatever opinions about which looks better.

A while back, Layell said that trainer sprites won't happen.

Last edited:
Now the 3d is cool and all but I know i'm not the only one who would prefer to have the old sprites. Please consider an option to switch between the two.

The 3D sprites are okay for me, I think they have a lot of potential later on when they modify it more.
It gives it more of a modern feel to the game rather than making gen 6 pokemon more gen 5 by relying on custom sprites.
A resize would be ideal as previously stated, some sprites like Mega Zard Y are way out of the screen.
However there seems to be missing sprites also such as Mega Gyarados.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
you can disable animations but then you cant have animated 2d sprites. im going to assume its being worked on because i already complained about it so yeah for now just disable animations :)

you can disable animations but then you cant have animated 2d sprites. im going to assume its being worked on because i already complained about it so yeah for now just disable animations :)
That is the worst advice anyone could give. I love the animations and it's just not pokemon w/o a transition between turns.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The option to have animated 2D sprites will happen, it's just a low priority

for now turn off animations.

Also no chance will more trainer sprites ever be added by my hands.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cause it's the definition of a slippery slope.

If I were to make a few such as gym leaders, the main trainers and rivals that would still be a ton of work. Someone would inevitably ask for more like maybe Team Flare grunts, admins, maybe the Battle Maison girls.

Well I guess I'd be obligated then too...

Then others would ask for further such as Sycamore, Elite 4, alt versions of the main trainers, other trainers I'm forgetting about. I just don't want to because first of all I hate making trainer sprites, and we have enough already. The XY Pokemon have a finite limit to what is necessary. The same may not be true for the trainer sprites if I were to open the floodgates.

joshe

the best
3d sprites are fine altho a lil big but yall should add 6th gen mini sprites ;)

edit: and yeah 5th gen sprite option would be great too

3D sprites are fine. The only thing is that some of the sprites are a little too big and spread a little out of the battle frame. Also, stealth rocks gets lost or sometimes appear on the pokemon

Last edited:

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
If you really want to please everybody, why not have XY sprites for OU, B2/W2 sprites for Gen 5 OU etc.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Or just wait until the ability to switch between the 3D and the 2D sprites is implemented. Layell said it's low priority but that it WILL BE DONE so I don't see why we need to keep pestering him in this thread. Just be patient, young ones.

Also please don't make demands (like option 4 on the poll my goodness). Things will happen when they happen, it is not their job to get things on PS done and not your job to tell them to.

3D sprites are fine. The only thing is that some of the sprites are a little too big and spread a little out of the battle frame. Also, stealth rocks gets lost or sometimes appear on the pokemon
This, basically. The 3d sprites are good but just too big, especially in double battles, and/or the battle area of the window isn't big enough anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)