1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Showdown League!

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by Bd4uf, Aug 7, 2012.

?

What do you think?

1. Yes

13.8%
  2. No

86.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bd4uf

Bd4uf

Ok, I know this idea has been attempted mutiple times but this time it can be more organized and may work.
    RULES
    Only Gym challenges will happen on weekends.
    Challengers are not allowed to use (Legendaries,Ubers,Banned moves or Weather Teams)
    Players can only challenge once a Week
    More will be applied.
    Gyms
    Gym 1-Steel
    Gym 2-Dragon
    Gym 3-Ghost
    Gym 4-Dark
    Gym 5-Fire
    Gym 6-Water
    Gym 7-Electric
    Gym 8-Psychic
    Elite 4
    Elite 1-Snow Warning
    Elite 2-Sand Stream
    Elite 3-Drought
    Elite 4-Drizzle
    Champion-1st person to beat E4
  2. verbatim

verbatim Red like Roses
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

Like you've said, this has been tried many times before. However, I see nothing to distinguish this attempt from said failures, not to mention your inclusion of legendaries and weather teams into the ban list doesn't display really speak well of your understanding of the world of competitive pokemon.
  3. blarajan

blarajan holla ladies #£14000 #bling #sparkle #bitchesonmydick
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

can we stop posting shit like this please
  4. akela

akela

Your concept: I am going to do what everyone has tried before multiple times, only I am going to claim it is different without bothering to differentiate from the other attempts in any significant way.

My response: No. A thousand times no. There is not a word in the tongues of the great old ones to suggest my opposition to this idea.
  5. Kenny

Kenny don't expect me

The poll says it all I think.
  6. Relados

Relados
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Okay, on paper this idea might sound like fun, but I think it's obvious in practice that a league would flop. It's not effective and would be a hassle with little reward. Besides, PS has more important things to dedicate time and effort to.

Also, putting limitations on challenges would fail. If there was to be a league, it would have to follow standard rules of the tiers, not extra rules like "no legendaries." Legendaries are a major part of the metagame.

All in all, leagues don't work. A tip to all reading this: Even you can't make a league work.
  7. Tobes

Tobes Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

As if we would allow Articuno to mar the competitiveness of such a grand undertaking.
  8. Vintage Books

Vintage Books

I agree, phione and regice are too broken and should be banned from this
  9. mikel

mikel frizy will carry ocn
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Ignoring the trolly replies, having seen two or three leagues start up well and fail in the end, I can't say it'll do well. To add to that, the organisers for the previous leagues were well-known and well-respected users, giving them a starting player base - I can honestly say I don't recognise your name - and much time and effort was put into crafting them, including a webpage. Not to discourage you or anything, give it a shot, but I can't say I think it's a good idea.
  10. Great Sage

Great Sage

This is a nonstarter in so many ways.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)