Showdown League

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been thinking for a long time, how can you make leagues more fun, and less tedious? Well I might possibly have the solution, but there needs to be a lot of thought and structure in the process. That means there needs to be guidelines.

Please, hear me out, and read them right here:

I want to challenge the league! Wat do?

So you wanna challenge the league huh? Well I'm glad you asked. Let me lay down a foundation that will set up a process for us peeps who are running the league and accepting challenges from people, and make our lives a lot easier.

Challenger Sign Up Limit:
We are currently only accepting 10 challengers a week. This is to generate a sense of organization and to limit stress on the league members.

What is the League set up?

The desired layout is 3 divisions of 12 people and a champion. Like this:

The Gym Division (RU Monotype, 4 Pokemon):
Gym Leader 1
Gym Leader 2
Gym Leader 3
Gym Leader 4

The Elite Division (UU Monotype, 5 Pokemon):
Elite Trainer 1
Elite Trainer 2
Elite Trainer 3
Elite Trainer 4

The Legend Division (OU Dualtype, 6 Pokemon):
Legend Trainer 1
Legend Trainer 2
Legend Trainer 3
Legend Trainer 4

And of course, the champion, who is OU Multitype and 6 Pokemon.

Here are rules that regard the layout.

1. You can only take on one division a week.
2. You can battle them in any order, however, they will be ranked #1-4 for your convenience.
3. This means you have 4 challenges, 1 per trainer a week. For example, if you beat your first three, and lose to the 4th, you have to wait a week before you can challenge him again. However, you can also lose your first three and beat the 4th.

Its a matter how many of the 4 you can get in the week, really.

Now, if you aren't bored of all the rules yet, there is actually only one more stipulation left. You cannot have repeating types on your team. This is to provide a fair advantage to the person you are challenging and to maintain the integrity of the challenge. Its not fair for you to bring in your all-Ground Sandstorm team to battle the Electric Gym guy.

So please, no repeating types.

And thats it. Hopefully, I won't need to add anything else.
What do you do as a league member and how do you become one?

We will eventually have 12 members, but right now, I'm looking for 3 to sign up to become Gym Leaders. (first come first served)

To add a little competitive spirit between members, we will host bi-weekly tournaments amongst the divisions. That means a 4 match min. and 5 or 6 at the most matches if you go far. We should be able to do 4-5 or so matches in 2 weeks right? right?

WELL WHAT ARE THE PURPOSE OF THESE TOURNAMENTS?!

To enforce a ranking based tier system:
1. Winner of the Gym Division can replace the loser of the Elite Division if he defeats him in a head to head match.
2. Winner of the Elite Division can replace the loser of the Legend Division if he beats both the loser of the Legend Division and the Champion of the Legend Division.
3. In either case of a loss regarding Rule 2, the loser of the Legend Division will be demoted.
4. Loser of the Gym Division is demoted from the league if the Champion wants to become a member. Sorry!

whoops forgot something:

The tournaments are multitype and the tier and amount of Pokemon is dependent on your league, but your starter must be a Pokemon of your specialty, Ex. Mr. Ground Man starts out with a Sandlash, Mr. Water Woman starts out with a Politoed and we have a grand ol time.

Regarding accepting challenges.

As I aforementioned, please only accept 10 challenges a week. The most I'll ask you to do, is keep a list of the people of have challenged you, so you don't challenge them again in the same week by mistake.

And thats it.
So I'm that kid who became champion. Wat now?
The champion has an interesting position and a lot of incentive. But really has but one requirement:

He has to accept a challenge from an inquiring challenger that gets all 12 badges.

Am I bombarding you with responsibility yet? Probably scaring you off.

Either way here are the incentives and guidelines for the champion.

1. If the champion defeats 1 challenger, he can replace the loser of the Gym Division and become a member if he so desires.
2. The champion can opt out of that and stay champion. However, the champion must step down after 3 consecutive wins.
3. The champion can still become a gym leader after that 3rd win, and if he loses any time before that, or he can opt out and reset his badge status and take the league challenge again in order to win more titles.

Yep, thats it.
Misc.
What happens if the Champion position is vacant?

We will wait for the next two people to win the league and those two challengers will battle and the winner will become Champion.

How do you get your badges reset?

If you step down as Champion, or by request.
So thats all of that. In order to avoid confusion, I'm going to become one of the Gym Leaders, and accept the other 3 by a sign up first come first serve basis. I won't accept requests for Elite or Legend, because, well we will have no challengers for that for a while.

It would be like a week or two until your first challenger match and I'd be like "D00D U GOT A MATCH" and you'd be like "D00D I FORGET ABOUT DIS".

So the first 4 people to win the Gym Leader Challenge will become Elite Four members if they wish to be one. As for Legends, we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Gym Leader Division:
#1 Sign up for this spot!
#2 Gym Leader Endzone (Fighting)
#3 Gym Leader oliwierziomPL (Fire)
#4 Gym Leader Volt (Electric)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Elite Division (UU Monotype, 5 Pokemon):
You cannot have repeating types on your team.
???

Anyway, this has been brought up time and time again

Like here
and here
Yep here too!

And been rejected on many occasions. There is little interest, inactivity hampers it a lot, and smogon offers similar style tournaments anyway, so there is little point. You might want to check out the Smogon Frontier, or other metagames offer challenges (such as Lost Cave in Little Cup. Basically, its not going to happen at this point in time.

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Leagues can work, but DO NOT attempt to affiliate it with the main server. It tends to end badly if you didn't notice from the last two threads.
EDIT: Make that three.

And I've honestly put a little (false, a lot) more effort into constructing the league. Its a format that can work, if we look over the unorganized, uninspired attempts from before. It just needs a little bit of faith to go in it, and honestly miniscule amount of participation (compared to others) in order to function.

1 member will be doing 10 challenges a week. That's hardly any commitment.

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
And I've honestly put a little (false, a lot) more effort into constructing the league. Its a format that can work, if we look over the unorganized, uninspired attempts from before. It just needs a little bit of faith to go in it, and honestly miniscule amount of participation (compared to others) in order to function.

1 member will be doing 10 challenges a week. That's hardly any commitment.
No it's not that it's a lot of work or the effort, it's just that it's a very niche sort of thing: It only appeals to a few people, like me. Like I said, admins typically don't mind leagues as long as you don't attempt to affiliate/advertise them with the main server.

No it's not that it's a lot of work or the effort, it's just that it's a very niche sort of thing: It only appeals to a few people, like me. Like I said, admins typically don't mind leagues as long as you don't attempt to affiliate/advertise them with the main server.
I suppose. I'm not really wanting to step on toes or anything, thats for sure. I can change the league name if that needs to be done, I don't care. As for advertising and such, there needs to be a way for people to know about the league of course, but I won't bombard PS with my league or anything, if thats what you mean.

And a league per say needs a fluctuation of new people in and out to sustain interest and relevance. Meaning, being available to potential challengers is crucial.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with ginga. Smogon already has many tournaments and other things in place. Why not just sign up for those? As shown, leagues have been brought up before and none have worked. I've been a part of a league before, on Pokemon Lab, and it lasted for a few months. However, that was with more organization, more commitment, and far less people on the server at one time (around 40). Still, the league eventually died. But suppose the league does take off. Even if it does, you have the rule about ten challengers per week limit. People will lose interest if they have to wait a few weeks just to battle one person. Plus even if you get rid of this rule, you'd have the problem of gym leaders being swamped with challenges, making them not want to battle and holding up the line.

All in all, Smogon offers bigger and better things than any user-created league could provide. It hasn't worked out in the past, and it won't work this time.

I agree with ginga. Smogon already has many tournaments and other things in place. Why not just sign up for those? As shown, leagues have been brought up before and none have worked. I've been a part of a league before, on Pokemon Lab, and it lasted for a few months. However, that was with more organization, more commitment, and far less people on the server at one time (around 40). Still, the league eventually died. But suppose the league does take off. Even if it does, you have the rule about ten challengers per week limit. People will lose interest if they have to wait a few weeks just to battle one person. Plus even if you get rid of this rule, you'd have the problem of gym leaders being swamped with challenges, making them not want to battle and holding up the line.

All in all, Smogon offers bigger and better things than any user-created league could provide. It hasn't worked out in the past, and it won't work this time.
Thomas Edison didn't make the light bulb on the first attempt nor was Rome ever built in one day. The foundation that I have currently set up is a flexible one, and one built to have a future. The limitations are currently set to fixate around what we currently have. If we ever have to do some adjusting, we will do so in order to keep the league going. We could potentially lessen the wait before you move onto the next challenge, or give an incentive for beating all 4 in a row, however, those are ideas that are unnecessary to consider implementing right now.

And the limit isn't even a "few weeks to battle one person". I said it was 1 week. Get that straight.

I appreciate your criticism, and I understand you aren't interested, however, I have 2 people committed to the league already, so your founded words of "it won't work this time" isn't influencing me, because the league has garnered a seed of interest already and is bound for better things, given its surrounded around people with a positive attitude and a duty to credibility.

For the love of fuck lol

Why do we have to reject a league like every three weeks...?

We're not doing this, lol. Do what you want with your friends, but this isn't going to be a showdown thing at all, and for that reason I'd p prefer it not in this subform lol.

As I said in the last thread, we appreciate your contributions. Just redirect them to something less stupid.

For the love of fuck lol

Why do we have to reject a league like every three weeks...?

We're not doing this, lol. Do what you want with your friends, but this isn't going to be a showdown thing at all, and for that reason I'd p prefer it not in this subform lol.

As I said in the last thread, we appreciate your contributions. Just redirect them to something less stupid.
Okay, thats your opinion. You don't speak for everyone, sorry.

I speak for showdown by saying we will never have a recognized league on our server. Do whatever the fuck you want on your own time, but this isn't going to happen.

But in all honesty, I don't care about being a "recognized" league on Showdown. Theres 800+ who are on PS, and to expect a fraction of them to participate is an asinine notion, especially right now. But there are people who actually do want to participate in a league, and to provide a sustainable and enjoyable league isn't a bad thing, and its something that could be provided, but the people who don't like leagues don't need to speak for the entirety of Showdown. To use the base on Showdown to pull some users who are mildly interested in it is not a bad attempt to do, and shouldn't be shot down every single time someone tries to set something up. I've barely had any time to set up, and I've had more people try to speak for the entirely of PS vs. people I've gotten to sign up.

It's something different than the ADD tournaments that are spurned out everyday, and it needs a little bit more TLC, but it can be done with a little patience. I need one more person to start the league up and we'll be able to accept challengers. Now if I can get a legitimate reason other than "DUH PS WILL NEVER RECOGNIZE LEAGUES LOL U SUCK", or "WELL LEAGUES IN DA PAST HAVNT WORKEDED WHY U THINNK DIS WUN WILL?", then I'd love to hear your criticism.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I think doing a league on a private server might be a pretty good idea, actually.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
You can do this on a private server or try to organize it in a social group. In any case, this would be done independently and on your own initiative. Smogon does not recognize or support leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)