Shuckle (Encore Trapper)

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Original Analysis: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/shuckle

[SET]
name: Encore Trapper
move 1: Wrap
move 2: Encore
move 3: Bide / Knock Off
move 4: Rest / Knock Off
item: Grip Claw / Leftovers
nature: Careful / Impish
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 204 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This set plays extremely similarly to Wobbufett, except without the innate ability to trap things. You can bring Shuckle in to something that can do nothing to it (a large list of Pokemon in the underused environment), trap the switch-in with Wrap and then Encore their next move. If they use a stat up move, you get a free switch and a free turn to set up with one of your own sweepers. If they use an attack, your next course of action depends on how much damage they do. If you can avoid the 3HKO, then using Bide is preferred as you get basically a free KO. If you can't then switch to an appropriate counter for basically free. It's a win-win situation.</p>

<p> Wrap and Encore are no brainers on the set; however there are a few choices for the last two slots. Knock Off is nice to take out opposing stat-uppers' items on your way out. Nothing is sweeter than Encoring a Nasty Plot Ninetales and then Knocking Off its Life Orb as you then switch to your own set up sweeper. Rest allows Shuckle to do its job multiple times, but without Sleep Talk on the set, it requires the support of a cleric to be the most useful. Finally, Bide is merely an option because Shuckle's low HP makes it a bit hard to avoid 4HKOs, even with the low power level of the underused environment.</p>

<p> The EVs are tailored to Special Defense in order to avoid 4HKOs against the bulky waters of UU who like to switch in on Shuckle, like Gastrodon and Quagsire. This allows you to Encore their Surf and then kill them with Bide. If you're not going to use Bide on the set, then switch the nature from Careful to Impish and swap out the Def EVs with the SpD EVs. This allows Shuckle to take physical hits better, which are arguably more present in the Underused Metagame. </p>

<p> Grip Claw is the preferred item as Wrap may sometimes only have two turns of trap, eliminating the free turn that you would have otherwise gained. However, Leftovers could be subbed in if you prefer added survivability.</p>

Metric

is banned in America
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
From having seen this Shuckle in action I can say it is very effective indeed.

Only one thing to add, put Impish as a nature option seeing as you mentioned it in your analysis.

Original Analysis: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/shuckle

[SET]
name: Encore Trapper
move 1: Wrap
move 2: Encore
move 3: Bide / Knock Off
move 4: Rest / Knock Off
item: Leftovers / Grip Claw
nature: Careful / Impish
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 204 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This set plays extremely similarly to Wobbufett, except without the innate ability to trap things. You can bring Shuckle in to something that can do nothing to it (a large list of Pokemon in the underused environment), trap the switch-in with Wrap, and then Encore their next move. If they use a stat-up move, you get a free switch and a free turn to set up with one of your own sweepers. If they use an attack, your next course of action depends on how much damage they do. If you can avoid the 3HKO, then using Bide is preferred as you get basically a free KO. If you can't, switch to an appropriate counter for basically free. It's a win-win situation.</p>

<p> Wrap and Encore are no-brainers on the set; however there are a few choices for the other two slots. Knock Off is nice to take out opposing stat-uppers' items on your way out. Nothing is sweeter than Encoring a Nasty Plot Ninetales and then Knocking Off its Life Orb as you then switch to your own set up sweeper. Rest allows Shuckle to do its job multiple times, but without Sleep Talk on the set, it requires the support of a cleric to be the most useful. Finally, Bide is merely an option, because Shuckle's low HP makes it a bit hard to avoid 4HKOs, even with the low power level of the underused environment.</p>

<p> The EVs are tailored to Special Defense in order to avoid 4HKOs against the bulky waters of UU who like to switch in on Shuckle. This allows you to Encore their Surf and then kill them with Bide. If you're not going to use Bide on the set, then switch the nature from Careful to Impish and swap out the Def EVs with the SpD EVs. This allows Shuckle to take physical hits better, which are arguably more present in the Underused Metagame. </p>

<p> Grip Claw is an optional item as Wrap may sometimes only have two turns of trap, eliminating the free turn that you would have otherwise gained. </p>
I do not understand your usage of the word innate. It just doesn't make sense to me...

This is rather reminiscent of both the Supporting Wall and Don't Use This, but it's sufficiently different, I guess.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Innate: existing in one from birth

As in, trapping is Wobbuffet's innate ability whereas Shuckle has to use Wrap in order to achieve the same effect.

------------------------------------------

I fixed the grammatical errors, as well as put Impish in as a secondary nature.

Also, this set is nothing like the support because the support set doesn't guarantee free turns for your other Pokemon, just for Shuckle. Also the only similarities that "don't use this" has to this Shuckle is Wrap...

Theorymon ahead:

I don't see how this can be compared to Wobbuffet, because they have the ability to switch to something that doesn't mind staying in on Shuckle, and will probably force it out, and using something that isn't Wrap would accomplish the same thing.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
The point of this Shuckle isn't to beat Pokemon that switch in on Shuckle, it's to Encore their move, and switch to something that you can get a free turn with.

Without wrap, they will switch the turn after you Encore (if they're good players that is), which means the Pokemon you're switching to won't get that free turn. You NEED the trapping ability.

And there are only three Pokemon that will ruin this strategy. And I say ruin because they will OHKO Shuckle before he gets a chance to Encore. And that is Choice Band Armaldo, Choice Band Aggron and Choice Specs Wailord using Water Spout. Every other Pokemon that will switch in to Shuckle can't OHKO... EVER. (I even checked Choice Specs Omastar and other notable special attackers.)

If you bring any other pokemon in to Shuckle, I don't care how hard it hits because it won't OHKO, I will Encore your move, and take advantage of a free turn.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Your EV explanation could be a bit more specific LN. For example, I don't really know what this means

The EVs are tailored to Special Defense in order to avoid 4HKOs against the bulky waters of UU who like to switch in on Shuckle.
Are we talking about Gastrodon, Quagsire, Omastar? Even just a simple aside that says "examples being Gastrodon & Quagsire" would be sufficient.

Grip Claw would seem to be the preferred option, at least to me, but it seems you have emphasized Leftovers as being the superior choice. I don't know, guess it doesn't matter much.

cool set though, seems gimmicky but it actually works.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
I added in the "examples" for whose surf you survive.

I also made Grip Claw the preffered item of the set.

This is seriously cool. I've never actually thought of how Bide could be a viable option, but considering you can trap your opponent and possibly force them to attack you, it could net a few KOs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)