Shuckle QC: 1/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

[OVERVIEW]
* Gives incredible support for its teammates to sweep with Sticky Web and Encore
* Sticky Web is an incredible tool that is great against opposing offensive styles
* Can always live a hit with Sturdy so it will always get up hazards unless the opponent has Magic Coat
* Despite its great defenses, it has horrible HP so it won't take hits as well as you think
* Has to compete with Smeargle as a lead since it also gets the same hazards as well as Magic Coat and Taunt
*However, Shuckle cannot put Sticky Web on the field if the opponent has a Magic Bounce user such as Mega Sableye
*Even if Sticky Web is on the field Flying-types and Levitate users trouble you greatly due to their speed not being affected. The main threats to look out are Mega Salamence and Yveltal due to how strong and threatening they are to the frail attackers that Sticky Web teams like to have.
*Sticky Web teams are also very weak to stall teams, as most of their strong attackers rely on the opponent using frailer and faster threats, rather than slower and bulkier Pokemon that can absorb damage and recover with no repercussions

[SET]
name: Sticky Web
move 1: Sticky Web
move 2: Rock Tomb
move 3: Encore
move 4: Toxic
item: Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
==============
* Sticky Web is Shuckle's main claim to fame, being able to slow down your opponents and give the player an amazing anti-offense tool
* Rock Tomb is a great tool that allows you to slow down opposing Flying-type Pokemon, giving your teammates more chances to revenge kill the opponent
* Encore is to lock the foe into their own hazards or something along that line, so that you have as many turns as possible to set up your hazards, cripple the opponent, and/or get one of your teammates on the field
* Toxic is used to help wear down your opponents if they are setup sweepers, and can generally be thrown off once you've Encored your opponent

Set Details
==============
* Mental Herb is a must since most leads will generally Taunt you turn 1 to prevent hazards from going on the field
* Max HP and Speical Defense is used so that you are not 2HKOd by Yveltal's Dark Pulse and can get two turns to try and not get flinched

Usage Tips
==============
* Your main priority with Shuckle is to set up and keep your hazards on the field, so you should start off by leading with Shuckle and getting up Sticky Web almost every game
* However, do NOT lead with Shuckle against Excadrill or stall as your efforts to get up hazards will by cleanly stopped by Excadrill's Rapid Spin and Mega Sableye's Magic Bounce
* Sticky Web is what Shuckle is primarily used for so you MUST be able to keep your hazards up.
* Switch into your Ghost-type so that the opponent cannot Rapid Spin and you keep Sticky Web on the field. Similarly, you should use your hard hitters to apply pressure to the opponents Defog user
* Encore Pokemon that you think will try and set up against you while you get up hazards
* Knock Off/Toxic Pokemon that rely on their Leftovers recovery

Team Options
==============
* Mega-Lucario: abuses Sticky Web with its lackluster Speed tier and amazing offensive prowess
* Primal Groudon: hits extremely hard with an Eruption or possibly a powerful Swords Dance attacking set that abuses Sticky Web. Not only that, but Primal Groudon is also a good Stealth Rock user as well
* Xerneas and other Fairy-types: able to threaten out Mega Sableye which is a huge nuisance to Shuckle as it stops all potential of getting up hazards. Arceus-Fairy in particular is very important to help check Mega Salamence and Yveltal while also pressuring opposing hazard removers such as Mega Sableye and Giratina-O.
*Extreme Killer Arceus: a classic late game sweeper that can do its job even without Sticky Web on the field. This can serve an important role as it can be hard to keep Sticky Web on the field at all times.
* Landorus-T: a good Stealth Rock user that also takes advantage of Sticky Web, allowing itself to run Adamant. Can also use Explosion to prevent Defog and thus keeping hazards on the field.
* Yveltal: hits the opponent extremely hard with its STAB moves, as well as being a useful Ghost resist that can prevent Defog with Taunt.
* Mega Gengar: a great spinblocker that can also stop Defog by using Taunt. Also provides a huge offensive presence and can trap threats to help its teammates.
* Ghost Arceus: prevents Rapid Spin so that you are able to keep Sticky Web on the field, and adds a great offensive presence that the anti-offense style that Sticky Web presents
* Rayquaza: an outstanding Pokemon that is able to decimate opposing teams with Sticky Web up and with the right coverage moves. Rayquaza is also a potential revenge killer by using Extreme Speed, which can come in handy if Xerneas is able to set up.
* Lunala: another Ghost-type that prevents Rapid Spin and is able to be quite the hard hitter with Choice Specs, or a Calm Mind set
*Ground Arceus: a powerful attacker that helps deal with prominent threats such as Primal Groudon and Mega Salamence, while also adding another possible set-up sweeper to the team
* Solgaleo: an important secondary Xerneas check that can hit ridiculously hard if it's using a Z-Splash set. With Sticky Web up Solgaleo is very hard to revenge kill and Solgaleo is also able to OHKO every Defogger after the +3 boost with Stealth Rock on the field.
*Palkia: with Z-Heal Block making Palkia such a hard hitter, it has become a viable threat on Sticky Web teams that can sweep the opponent once Sticky Web is on the field
*Kyurem-White: when equipped with Choice Specs, Kyurem becomes a huge threat that the opponent will have a hard time maneuvering around
*Zekrom: an unconventional but useful Pokemon that can take advantage of a Dragonium Z set to blow the opponent's bulkier Pokemon into the water

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==============
* Def > SpD: helps you live more hits against physical attackers such as Primal Groudon
* Lum Berry: able to prevent sleep, however you then lose to Taunt
* Rest+Chesto Berry: this lets Shuckle live for a longer period of time while also avoiding the threat of opposing sleep inducers. However, just like Lum Berry, you run the risk of losing to Taunt users.

Checks and Counters
==============
**Mega Sableye**: stops all chances of getting hazards up
**Rapid Spin**: Excadrill and Cloyster can set up their own Stealth Rock, and spin away yours. Pheromosa is also a nuisance as it can also spin away your efforts while being a huge offensive threat.
**Mega Gengar**: can trap, Taunt, set up Substitutes and stall until you die from Struggle
**Magic Coat Users**: makes it very difficult to get up hazards or really do anything you want to
**Sleep**: sleep users like Xurkitree stop Shuckle from getting up hazards completely if they get the right number of sleep turns. However, this is only if Shuckle isn't running Lum Berry

Last edited:
alrighty we are hitting some time limits here. i have heard an explanation from you on discord so fireburn and i are giving you 24 hours from this post to have this QC ready or its gonna have to be reassigned. it was reserved on sunday!

Change the set format to the one required for the dex - see the skeleton thread for the right one.

Team options can be expanded wayyy more - Webs can make a whole load of Pokemon better off, and there's no need to spare the details. As Shuckle is the main user of Sticky Web, I think that methods of keeping Sticky Web up and users who can stop it from being removed should go into Usage Tips and Team Options, respectively. None of the other Pokemon can really slot the details of playing with Webs in there without looking very out of place, so I think it might (subject to change, I'll need to double check this) be warranted here.

Sleep should get its own area in C&C, Darkrai is not the only user as Lunala/Xurkitree can also use Hypnosis and get lucky.

I'll stamp after the changes.

Change the set format to the one required for the dex - see the skeleton thread for the right one.

Team options can be expanded wayyy more - Webs can make a whole load of Pokemon better off, and there's no need to spare the details. As Shuckle is the main user of Sticky Web, I think that methods of keeping Sticky Web up and users who can stop it from being removed should go into Usage Tips and Team Options, respectively. None of the other Pokemon can really slot the details of playing with Webs in there without looking very out of place, so I think it might (subject to change, I'll need to double check this) be warranted here.

Sleep should get its own area in C&C, Darkrai is not the only user as Lunala/Xurkitree can also use Hypnosis and get lucky.

I'll stamp after the changes.
Added.

That's still not the right format for a skeleton... it looks like this:

[SET]
name: Barack Aboma (Swords Dance)
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb
move 3: Ice Shard
move 4: Earthquake
item: Abomasite
ability: Soundproof
nature: Adamant
evs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe

I thought you were talking about the general skeleton, not specifically the set. That's fixed now though, everything should be good.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Knock Off sucks on Shuckle and should never be used over Toxic, since that is Shuckle's only tool to pressure Defog users. The only attack I would consider running on Shuckle is Rock Tomb to punish Taunt Gengar leads by slowing them down so they can be easily revenged when Shuckle is killed. Rock Tomb can be slashed after Stealth Rock since Shuckle does struggle a bit to set up both hazards in a game.

Max SDef Calm can be mentioned in Set Details to better tank support Arceus Judgment and avoid the 2HKO from LO Yveltal Dark Pulse.

The Excadrill bullet can be expanded to Rapid Spin with Cloyster and Pheromosa added.

Rest + Chesto is worth mentioning in OO over Lum Berry to give Shuckle a bit more staying power in addition to a defense against sleep at the expense of losing to Taunt.

Team Options can be expanded more. Arceus-Fairy is also good to check Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, and Yveltal (all massive threats to Web) while pressuring certain Pokemon such as Giratina-O and Mega Sableye. Yveltal can stop Defog with Taunt, hits really hard, and provides a useful Ghost resist for opposing Lunala. Z-Splash Solgaleo can be potentially mentioned as a backup Xerneas check - this type of set can actually shine on Sticky Web since it makes it considerably harder to revenge kill (fixing its main flaw) and at +3 I believe it OHKOes every Defogger after SR, and Solg is one of the few backup Xerneas checks you can fit on Sticky Web (since PDon on these teams is usually running little or zero bulk). Rayquaza is lethal with Sticky Web support and provides a backup priority source for Xerneas. Extreme Killer Arceus provides a backup plan for sweeping in case Web is removed prematurely thanks to strong priority. I think you covered most of the others that are notable.

EDIT - On second thought I think just using max SDef Calm is better...avoiding the 2HKO from Yveltal's Dark Pulse is actually pretty important since Dark Pulse can flinch (and they might go for it since Mental Herb), and it is more likely to lead against Shuckle than Groudon.

Last edited:
Reactions: zf
Knock Off sucks on Shuckle and should never be used over Toxic, since that is Shuckle's only tool to pressure Defog users. The only attack I would consider running on Shuckle is Rock Tomb to punish Taunt Gengar leads by slowing them down so they can be easily revenged when Shuckle is killed. Rock Tomb can be slashed after Stealth Rock since Shuckle does struggle a bit to set up both hazards in a game.

Max SDef Calm can be mentioned in Set Details to better tank support Arceus Judgment and avoid the 2HKO from LO Yveltal Dark Pulse.

The Excadrill bullet can be expanded to Rapid Spin with Cloyster and Pheromosa added.

Rest + Chesto is worth mentioning in OO over Lum Berry to give Shuckle a bit more staying power in addition to a defense against sleep at the expense of losing to Taunt.

Team Options can be expanded more. Arceus-Fairy is also good to check Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, and Yveltal (all massive threats to Web) while pressuring certain Pokemon such as Giratina-O and Mega Sableye. Yveltal can stop Defog with Taunt, hits really hard, and provides a useful Ghost resist for opposing Lunala. Z-Splash Solgaleo can be potentially mentioned as a backup Xerneas check - this type of set can actually shine on Sticky Web since it makes it considerably harder to revenge kill (fixing its main flaw) and at +3 I believe it OHKOes every Defogger after SR, and Solg is one of the few backup Xerneas checks you can fit on Sticky Web (since PDon on these teams is usually running little or zero bulk). Rayquaza is lethal with Sticky Web support and provides a backup priority source for Xerneas. Extreme Killer Arceus provides a backup plan for sweeping in case Web is removed prematurely thanks to strong priority. I think you covered most of the others that are notable.

EDIT - On second thought I think just using max SDef Calm is better...avoiding the 2HKO from Yveltal's Dark Pulse is actually pretty important since Dark Pulse can flinch (and they might go for it since Mental Herb), and it is more likely to lead against Shuckle than Groudon.
Done. I didn't make the SpDef set the standard since you're the only one I've heard that change from, but if other QC members agree then I would be happy to change it to SpDef.

you oversell this mon and the playstyle heavily in the overview. Can you bring up some disadvantages of this mon? Like how every sticky web team is troubled by Yveltal/Salamence, how Msab shuts this down etc.

personally stealth rock shouldn't even be in moves, oo max. It's a terrible suggestion to run both hazards. I even think Rock Tomb is kinda bad but I can't think of a better option (Final Gambit does enable you to kill yourself vs TauntWisp Gar in order to prevent any defog shenanigans like in my game vs Edgar though).

sdef > phys def it should be obvious

rewrite any parts mentioning SR cause you aren't going to slash it.

Mention Palkia, Arc-ground, Kyurem-W, Zekrom in partners

qc 2/3 after this

Mega Sableye doesn't provide hazard removal, it simply discourages them from being set. Minor thing but mention this distinction in team options. Reword the lando-t bullet to reflect the latest set and include how webs allows it to outspeed support Arceus formes and KO them with boosted Supersonic Skystrike. Remove Knock Off from usage tips. Infestation can go in OO and prevents opposing leads from switching around and screws up those that stay in to status.

QC 3/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)