Shuckle (QC 2/2 GP 2/2)

[Overview]

<p>Shuckle boasts the highest defensive stats out of every Pokemon—base 230 in both Defense and Special Defense. However, due to its low HP and pitiful offenses, Shuckle is often overlooked when considering a Pokemon on a VGC team due to the fast-paced nature of the metagame. Shuckle has a very unique move, Power Split, and when used correctly it can cause serious disruption to the enemy's team. Although the VGC metagame is fast paced, Shuckle serves a very unique niche—Power Split—in it.</p>

[SET]
name: Power Split
move 1: Power Split
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Helping Hand / Bug Bite
move 4: Rest
item: Chesto Berry
ability: Sturdy
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
ivs: 31 Atk / 0 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Power Split, Shuckle can use its hideous base 10 Attack and Special Attack stats to effectively hamper the attacking power of an enemy. With the given nature and IVs, Shuckle has 30 Attack and 13 Special Attack, which turns a Modest Chandelure's 216 Special Attack into a significantly less threatening 114 Special Attack. After using Power Split on a strong physical attacker, Shuckle can use its improved Attack in an attempt to deal damage with its STAB moves. However, Shuckle has to be wary of Taunt, which stops it from using Power Split and Rest. Rock Slide is a very good move in VGC, hitting both targets for decent damage. Helping Hand is considered a very useful move in VGC, turning 2HKOs into OHKOs; however, Shuckle is not the best user of it, as it is already complete Taunt bait. Bug Bite is Shuckle's secondary STAB move, and has a nifty secondary effect of stealing the opponents' Berries. It is also useful for dealing damage to Ludicolo, who is a threat to Shuckle. With Rest, Shuckle can take advantage of its ability, Sturdy, if the opponent is using a bulky setup Pokemon, such as Calm Mind Cresselia <this might need more elaboration>.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Chesto Berry is essential when using Rest, as it allows Shuckle to recover all of its health in one turn. Shuckle functions best in sandstorm, which grants it a 50% boost to its Special Defense. Sandstorm also provides residual damage, which helps Shuckle wear down the opponents. Considering Water is one of Shuckle's only weaknesses <i take it that's what you mean? i'm not sure>, you can opt to invest more heavily in Special Defense to better take special hits. Earthquake can be used, as it has good coverage in tandem with Rock Slide, but be careful about not hitting your partner.</p>

<p>Scizor makes an excellent partner for Shuckle, as it deals with rain teams that threaten Shuckle, and is also impervious to the residual damage from sandstorm. Zapdos also makes a good teammate for Shuckle, as its main coverage moves—Thunderbolt, Hidden Power, and Heat Wave—help eliminate some of Shuckle's counters, namely <who>. With its base 5 Speed, Shuckle benefits from Trick Room, and can flinch the opponent with Rock Slide once it is set up.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Gastro Acid and Toxic are both useful moves, but unfortunately, Shuckle has no moveslots to spare for either one of them. Encore is useful for Shuckle if Trick Room is in play; however, Prankster Pokemon are generally better at disrupting opponents with this move. Shuckle also receives Safeguard, a neat move which shields your team from status, but Pokemon such as Cresselia can utilize Safeguard better, due to not being complete Taunt bait. Struggle Bug is a useful move for lowering the opponents Special Attack, and allows Shuckle to invest fully in Defense to increase its defensive capabilities. Shuckle also receives Power Trick, which switches its Defense with its Attack, giving Shuckle 310 Attack if you run maximum Defense; however, the chances of consistently pulling off a sweep are very slim. Shuckle also has the Gluttony ability, which allows it to consume its pinch berries earlier, but Sturdy is generally the better option.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>If you are concerned that your team is weak to Shuckle, throwing on a Water-type with a good base Special Attack and a good STAB should alleviate you of your problem. Kingdra is a prime example, as it shrugs off neutral Rock Slide and Bug Bite and has the ability to OHKO Shuckle with Hydro Pump in rain. Metagross also makes an excellent counter for Shuckle, denting Shuckle with its STAB super effective Meteor Mash and resisting both of its STAB moves. Metagross can also receive an Attack boost from Meteor Mash, which only makes Shuckle's problem even greater. Scizor also makes a great counter to Shuckle, as it is not only immune to sandstorm damage and resistant to its STABs, but also able to deal heavy damage to Shuckle through its Bullet Punch. In general, though, Pokemon who run Taunt can shut down Shuckle, making it dead weight for the next few turns.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Shuckle receives Contrary as a Dream World ability, which can be useful for turning a possible Defense or Special Defense drop into a boost. While Shuckle's other abilities are more important, neither of them are essential, and Contrary can be used so you do not have to worry about Defense drops from Crunch and Special Defense drops from Shadow Ball, Psychic, and other moves.</p>

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think the atk iv should still be 31, spatk makes sense, but you are using your atk so you should keep the iv.

I need to see logs of bide actually working, I'm a bit dubious.

EDIT: ok I looked more at Bide, it does damage based on the HP damage done to Shuckle, making it wholly worthless with shuckle's 20 base hp. Not to mention they can just attack your partner etc.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I feel that Shuckle's weakness to Taunt needs to be listed somewhere if not explained just a bit. Taunt prevents the bug from using so many moves (maybe even all if Taunt stops Bide), and it kinda forces him to switch or deal near 0 damage, both scenarios aren't exactly "desirable" considering how fast-paced VGC 2012 is.

Bide is meh at best. It's only listed because doing 6% with Rock Slide is awful and Bide can do at least some damage. I mostly included the Bide set because they are such opposite sets and they deserve more of a mention than OO.

Mentioned Taunt.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am wholly of the opinion that it doesnn't deserve a mention outside of, and probably even in OO, until I see logs. Any intelligent player will just stop attacking Shuckle and massacre your partner the second they see Bide. Then when its time for Bide to hit from the damage they did turn 1 before they realized, they will just Protect, then resume the partner massacre, all while Shuckle sits there helping your opponent more than you.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
I think Helping Hand is probably more valuable than extra coverage on the first set, since Shuckle won't be doing much damage itself.

Also why would you ever use anything but Sturdy, even though 1hkos are incredibly unlikely, you don't have a pinch berry on either set. Hell not having to worry about Sheer Cold is enough reason to run it over Gluttony. Speaking of abilities in the dw section you say that Shuckle's other abilities are more important, but they are almost wholly unimportant, and so not having to worry about def drops from crunch, shadow ball, psychic etc is probably better, which is what you should say.

Safeguard, Encore, and Toxic all need mentions.

Finally the only reason Power Trick needs a mention is to remind people that it is completely uncompetitive, since a lot of people always want it to be. If you are gonna take a turn to boost stats, doing something like Swords Dancing with Rhyperior will leave you with better stats everywhere, but we don't recommend that. The small advantage it has of taking an attack with that bulk, while you set up tr and then attacking while you are faster is negligible because the likelihood of successfully getting off two simultaneous set up moves is so small.

I'll keep Bug Bite as a way to deal damage to Ludicolo, which completely walls Shuckle without it.

Explained everything else. Let me know if there's anything I missed. Thanks.

Edit: While not important, using Power Trick outside of Trick Room ensuring Shuckle has the bulk to survive hits and then protecting the next turn while Cress uses Trick Room can work, but it's very inconsistent. More so than Moddy Smeargle.

[SET]
evs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
ivs: 31 Atk, 0 SpA

Shuckle has to be wary of Taunt, as it stops Shuckle from using Power Split and using Protect.
You talk about not being able to use Protect, but Protect isn't even a move listed in the set or even in other options.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
What do you mean that Ludicolo completely walls Shuckle? STAB Rock Slide neutrally is a little better than completely walled I think. Anyway I agree Bug Bite should be slashed in so thats fine.

Whats left is to cut things from OO.

OO isn't the place to throw every semi interesting possible move, its for things that are fully competitive but didn't quite make the set. Therefore, Defense Curl and Rollout should be cut.

Additionally HH shouldn't be mentioned in OO since its on the main set.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Since Shuckle's minimum Speed at level 50 is 9 Speed, would using Gyro Ball be viable? It's a 150 Power Attack against anything with 54 Speed or more, which is essentially everything that isn't a Trick Room Pokemon, and even some that are.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
checking this too

unfortunately, the tool glitched up, so only a c/p version is provided:

[Overview]

<p>Shuckle boasts the highest defensive stats out of every Pokemon—base 230 in both Defense and Special Defense. However, due to its low HP and pitiful offenses, Shuckle is often overlooked when considering a Pokemon on a VGC team due to the fast-paced nature of the metagame. Shuckle has a very unique move, Power Split, and when used correctly it can cause serious disruption to the enemy's team. Although the VGC metagame is fast paced, Shuckle serves a very unique niche—Power Split—in it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Power Split, Shuckle can use its hideous base 10 Attack and Special Attack stats to effectively hamper the attacking power of an enemy. With the given nature and IVs, Shuckle has 30 Attack and 27 Special Attack, turning a Modest Chandelure's 216 Special Attack into a less threatening 135 Special Attack. After using Power Split on a strong physical attacker, Shuckle can use its improved Attack in an attempt to deal damage with its STAB moves. However, Shuckle has to be wary of Taunt, as it stops it from using Power Split and Rest. Rock Slide is a very good move in VGC, hitting both targets for decent damage. Helping Hand is considered a very useful move in VGC, turning 2HKOes into OHKOes; however Shuckle is not the best user, due to being complete Taunt bait. Bug Bite is Shuckle's secondary STAB move, with a nifty secondary effect; it is also useful for dealing damage to Ludicolo, which is a threat to Shuckle. With Rest, Shuckle can abuse its ability, Sturdy, if the opponent is using a bulky setup Pokemon, such as Calm Mind Cresselia.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Chesto Berry is essential when using Rest, allowing Shuckle to recover all of its health in one turn. Shuckle functions best in Sandstorm, as with Shuckle's Rock typing, it receives a 50% boost to its Special Defense when it is up; Sandstorm also provides residual damage, which helps Shuckle wear down the opponents. With Shuckle's weakness to Water-type moves, you can invest more in Special Defense to take more hits from the Special spectrum. Earthquake can be used, as it has good coverage in tandem with Rock Slide, but you must be careful about not hitting your partner. Scizor makes an excellent partner for Shuckle, dealing with normal rain teams which threaten Shuckle, as well as being impervious to the residual damage from sandstorm. Zapdos also makes a good teammate for Shuckle, as its main coverage moves—Thunderbolt, Hidden Power, and Heat Wave—help eliminate some of Shuckle's counters. With its base 5 Speed, Shuckle benefits from Trick Room, and can flinch the opponent with Rock Slide once it is set up.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Gastro Acid and Toxic are both useful moves, but unfortunately Shuckle has no moveslots to spare on either one of them. Encore is useful for Shuckle if Trick Room is in play; however, Prankster Pokemon are generally better at doing so. Shuckle also receives Safeguard, a neat move which shields your team from status, but Pokemon such as Cresselia can utilize Safeguard better due to not being complete Taunt bait. Shuckle also receives Power Trick, a move which switches its Defense with its Attack, giving Shuckle 310 Attack if you run maximum Defense; however, the chances of consistently pulling off a sweep with Power Trick Shuckle are very slim. Shuckle also has Gluttony, which allows pinch berries to be activated earlier, but Sturdy is generally the better option.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>If you are concerned that your team is weak to Shuckle, throwing on a Water-type with a good base Special Attack and a good STAB should alleviate you of your problem. Ludicolo is a prime example, as it is 4x resistant to Shuckles normal STAB moves and has the ability to 2-3HKO Shuckle with Hydro Pump. Metagross also makes an excellent counter for Shuckle, denting Shuckle with its STAB super effective Meteor Mash and resisting both of its STAB moves. Metagross can also receive an Attack boost from Meteor Mash, which only makes Shuckle's problem even greater. Scizor also makes a great counter to Shuckle, as it is not only immune to Sandstorm damage and resistant to its STABs but also able to deal heavy damage to Shuckle through its Bullet Punch. In general, though, Pokemon who run Taunt can shut down Shuckle, making it dead weight for the next few turns.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Shuckle receives Contrary as a Dream World ability, which can be useful for turning a possible Defense or Special Defense drop into a boost. Shuckle's other abilities are more important, but they are almost wholly unimportant, and Contrary can be used so you do not have to worry about Defense drops from Crunch and Special Defense drops from Shadow Ball, Psychic, and other moves.</p>

The two bolded parts are somewhat... strange. Firstly, Ludicolo is actually weak to one of Shuckle's STABs, so I'd recommend finding a better example there. Moreover, I doubt that Contrary is actually better than Sturdy, but that's up to the QC people (you might also want to remember that you can't actually use Contrary Shuckle in VGC). Good work, though.

EDIT:

GP [1/2] I guess

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
I specifically already pointed out the Ludicolo thing, so I'm pretty confused as to why its still there. I hope you do know your type chart and that you just mind blanked lucien <_<

As far as not being able to use Contrary shuckle that's what the dw section is for, abilities you can't use now but might be able to in the future. The last sentence doesn't make any sense though, read back through everything and make sure you said what you meant to lucien.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Minor correction:

With the given nature and IVs, Shuckle has 30 Attack and 13 Special Attack, turning a Modest Chandelure's 216 Special Attack into a less threatening 114 Special Attack.

[Overview]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]With the given nature and IVs, Shuckle has 30 Attack and 13 Special Attack, turning a Modest Chandelure's 216 Special Attack into a less threatening 114 Special Attack.

<p>With Power Split, Shuckle can use its hideous base 10 Attack and Special Attack stats to effectively hamper the attacking power of an enemy. With the given nature and IVs, Shuckle has 30 Attack and 13 Special Attack, which turnings a Modest Chandelure's 216 Special Attack into a significantly less threatening 114 Special Attack. After using Power Split on a strong physical attacker, Shuckle can use its improved Attack in an attempt to deal damage with its STAB moves. However, Shuckle has to be wary of Taunt, as itwhich stops it from using Power Split and Rest. Rock Slide is a very good move in VGC, hitting both targets for decent damage. Helping Hand is considered a very useful move in VGC, turning 2HKOes into OHKOes; however, Shuckle is not the best user, due to being of it, as it is already complete Taunt bait. Bug Bite is Shuckle's secondary STAB move, withand has a nifty secondary effect; i of stealing the opponents' Berries. It is also useful for dealing damage to Ludicolo, whicho is a threat to Shuckle. With Rest, Shuckle can abusetake advantage of its ability, Sturdy, if the opponent is using a bulky setup Pokemon, such as Calm Mind Cresselia <this might need more elaboration>.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Chesto Berry is essential when using Rest, allowings it allows Shuckle to recover all of its health in one turn. Shuckle functions best in Ssandstorm, as with Shuckle's Rock typing, it receiveswhich grants it a 50% boost to its Special Defense when it is up;. Sandstorm also provides residual damage, which helps Shuckle wear down the opponents. WithConsidering Water is one of Shuckle's only weakness to Water-type moveses <i take it that's what you mean? i'm not sure>, you can opt to invest more heavily in Special Defense to take more hits from the Special spectrumbetter take special hits. Earthquake can be used, as it has good coverage in tandem with Rock Slide, but you must be careful about not hitting your partner. </p>

<p>
Scizor makes an excellent partner for Shuckle, as it dealings with normal rain teams whichthat threaten Shuckle, as well as beingnd is also impervious to the residual damage from sandstorm. Zapdos also makes a good teammate for Shuckle, as its main coverage moves—Thunderbolt, Hidden Power, and Heat Wave—help eliminate some of Shuckle's counters, namely <who>. With its base 5 Speed, Shuckle benefits from Trick Room, and can flinch the opponent with Rock Slide once it is set up.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Gastro Acid and Toxic are both useful moves, but unfortunately, Shuckle has no moveslots to spare onfor either one of them. Encore is useful for Shuckle if Trick Room is in play; however, Prankster Pokemon are generally better at doing soisrupting opponents with this move. Shuckle also receives Safeguard, a neat move which shields your team from status, but Pokemon such as Cresselia can utilize Safeguard better, due to not being complete Taunt bait. Shuckle also receives Power Trick, a move which switches its Defense with its Attack, giving Shuckle 310 Attack if you run maximum Defense; however, the chances of consistently pulling off a sweep with Power Trick Shuckle are very slim. Shuckle also has the Gluttony ability, which allows pinch berries to be activatedit to consume its pinch berries earlier, but Sturdy is generally the better option.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>If you are concerned that your team is weak to Shuckle, throwing on a Water-type with a good base Special Attack and a good STAB should alleviate you of your problem. Kingdra is a prime example, as it shrugs off neutral Rock Slide and Bug Bite and has the ability to OHKO Shuckle with Hydro Pump in rain. Metagross also makes an excellent counter for Shuckle, denting Shuckle with its STAB super effective Meteor Mash and resisting both of its STAB moves. Metagross can also receive an Attack boost from Meteor Mash, which only makes Shuckle's problem even greater. Scizor also makes a great counter to Shuckle, as it is not only immune to Ssandstorm damage and resistant to its STABs, but also able to deal heavy damage to Shuckle through its Bullet Punch. In general, though, Pokemon who run Taunt can shut down Shuckle, making it dead weight for the next few turns.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Shuckle receives Contrary as a Dream World ability, which can be useful for turning a possible Defense or Special Defense drop into a boost. While Shuckle's other abilities are more important, neither of them are essential, and Contrary can be used so you do not have to worry about Defense drops from Crunch and Special Defense drops from Shadow Ball, Psychic, and other moves.</p>

[Overview]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Power Split, Shuckle can use its hideous base 10 Attack and Special Attack stats to effectively hamper the attacking power of an enemy. With the given nature and IVs, Shuckle has 30 Attack and 13 Special Attack, which turns a Modest Chandelure's 216 Special Attack into a significantly less threatening 114 Special Attack. After using Power Split on a strong physical attacker, Shuckle can use its improved Attack in an attempt to deal damage with its STAB moves. However, Shuckle has to be wary of Taunt, which stops it from using Power Split and Rest. Rock Slide is a very good move in VGC, hitting both targets for decent damage. Helping Hand is considered a very useful move in VGC, turning 2HKOs into OHKOs; however, Shuckle is not the best user of it, as it is already complete Taunt bait. Bug Bite is Shuckle's secondary STAB move, and has a nifty secondary effect of stealing the opponents' Berries. It is also useful for dealing damage to Ludicolo, who is a threat to Shuckle. With Rest, Shuckle can take advantage of its ability, Sturdy, if the opponent is using a bulky setup Pokemon, such as Calm Mind Cresselia <this might need more elaboration>.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Chesto Berry is essential when using Rest, as it allows Shuckle to recover all of its health in one turn. Shuckle functions best in sandstorm, which grants it a 50% boost to its Special Defense. Sandstorm also provides residual damage, which helps Shuckle wear down the opponents. Considering Water is one of Shuckle's only weaknesses <i take it that's what you mean? i'm not sure>, you can opt to invest more heavily in Special Defense to better take special hits. Earthquake can be used, as it has good coverage in tandem with Rock Slide, but be careful about not hitting your partner.</p>

<p>Scizor makes an excellent partner for Shuckle, as it deals with rain teams that threaten Shuckle, and is also impervious to the residual damage from sandstorm. Zapdos also makes a good teammate for Shuckle, as its main coverage moves—Thunderbolt, Hidden Power, and Heat Wave—help eliminate some of Shuckle's counters, namely <who>. With its base 5 Speed, Shuckle benefits from Trick Room, and can flinch the opponent with Rock Slide once it is set up.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Gastro Acid and Toxic are both useful moves, but unfortunately, Shuckle has no moveslots to spare for either one of them. Encore is useful for Shuckle if Trick Room is in play; however, Prankster Pokemon are generally better at disrupting opponents with this move. Shuckle also receives Safeguard, a neat move which shields your team from status, but Pokemon such as Cresselia can utilize Safeguard better, due to not being complete Taunt bait. Shuckle also receives Power Trick, which switches its Defense with its Attack, giving Shuckle 310 Attack if you run maximum Defense; however, the chances of consistently pulling off a sweep are very slim. Shuckle also has the Gluttony ability, which allows it to consume its pinch berries earlier, but Sturdy is generally the better option.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>If you are concerned that your team is weak to Shuckle, throwing on a Water-type with a good base Special Attack and a good STAB should alleviate you of your problem. Kingdra is a prime example, as it shrugs off neutral Rock Slide and Bug Bite and has the ability to OHKO Shuckle with Hydro Pump in rain. Metagross also makes an excellent counter for Shuckle, denting Shuckle with its STAB super effective Meteor Mash and resisting both of its STAB moves. Metagross can also receive an Attack boost from Meteor Mash, which only makes Shuckle's problem even greater. Scizor also makes a great counter to Shuckle, as it is not only immune to sandstorm damage and resistant to its STABs, but also able to deal heavy damage to Shuckle through its Bullet Punch. In general, though, Pokemon who run Taunt can shut down Shuckle, making it dead weight for the next few turns.</p>

[Dream World]

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
also if you dont mind lucien, just add in Struggle Bug in other options for lowering spatk of the opponents!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)