Sidd's Warstory on Double Cups [VGC Warstory]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Introduction:

I saw that the VGC is coming to town on the 16th of May, so I first made a calendar and marked each day as every day went by, waiting till the day would come. Despite how much time I've had, all the Pokemon used were by others, which shows that I am really lazy and a good
procrastinator.

I finished my first team 2 days before the VGC was due, which was at that time the team I was going to use. Not so much later, I battled zerowing and made a marvelous discovery. The team I had just used against zero was better and so I planned to change my team at around 9:30'ish to start a whole new team, as the team I tested out worked good, but were over Lv50's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Team at a Closer Glance:

Starters

Dusknoir

Level 50 @ Lum Berry
Impish - Pressure
~Taunt
~Rock Slide
~Will-O-Wisp
~Shadow Punch

Weavile

Level 50 @ Life Orb
Jolly - Pressure
~Taunt
~Ice Punch
~Night Slash
~Fake Out

Metagross

Level 50 @ Occa Berry
Adamant - Clear Body
~Bullet Punch
~Meteor Mash
~Protect
~Explosion

Spiritomb

Level 50 @ Sitrus Berry
Careful - Pressure
~Sucker Punch
~Will-O-Wisp
~Hypnosis
~Protect

Substitutes

Gyrados

Level 50 @ Wacan Berry
Adamant - Intimidate
~Thunder Wave
~Waterfall
~Protect
~Taunt

Snorlax
Level 50 @ Chople Berry
Sassy - Thick Fat
~Self-Destruct
~Fire Punch
~Protect
~Counter

This is something I came up with at the last moment. The first time I used it, I fell in love with it and thus, used it at the VGC. You might not understand it just yet, but you will by the end of this warstory.

Arriving at City Beach:

We started from home at around 7:30, reached there at 8:15, of which time the line population was already 200, despite how we didn't eat breakfast. So, I reach there, and the guy infront of me, damn was he wierd. He wore gloves like Ash Ketchum and even acted like, though he looked like an adult, at which point I just stopped caring about him. Now, the lines moving inward, and some kid comes up to me and sees Blak's shiny Meta, and goes "Whoa, it's a shiny Meta with Pokerus!".

After around an hour and a half, the Pokemon mascots start dancing (lol), Now, I get to the beginning of the line, and the lady gives me a card to record my wins and losses, and gave me a paper bracelet. The paper bracelet they gave me was Hitmonchan - #107. This would be the ticket into the tournament for me. After around an hour and a half, the Pokemon mascots start dancing (lol), and the Screen turns on. First screen has Pokemon w/ the #1-50, screen two has #51-100, and the moment of the day, #101-150, where Hitmonchan's name was present on the screen! I just knuckled my fists and got eager to finally battle.

Preliminary Rounds
Round 1

This being my first VGC yet, of course I was nervous that I might just lose now and getting into the tournament would've been useless. My opponent used Aerodactyl, Electivire, Magmortar and something I don't remember. So, I start out with Dusk & Weav, so Weav fakes out, Dusk goes for the Will-O-Wisp on Electivire. Both are a success, and Vire T-Bolts Dusk for barely any damage. Weavile KO's Aero and gets KO'ed by Vire. I bring in Meta, bullet punch Vire after it's hit by Dusks Shadow punch for the KO. Magmortar thus uses Fire blast and thinks he can beat me, sad for him I have an Occa berry. He brings out his final Pokemon, and I explode for the win. I win one match, thank god.

Round 2

So, I start it off with the usual starters, as my opponent brings in Garchomp and Weavile. My Weavile fakes out Garchomp, while the others Rock Slides, bring Weavile to half HP. Now, I do the same, but Ice punch on chomp and before dieing, Weav inflicts to me 1/4 HP. Now comes Rhyperior and Empoleon. Dusk uses WoW before dying, while Metagross just Explodes, being unable to KO either of them. So, it's Tomb vs Rhyperior and Empoleon...Oh yeah, this is where my story ends I thought, but instead, I lose confidence and just try stalling by using Protect. Big mistake for him, EQ hit his own Pokemon, and with a burn, he shouldn't have 1HKO'ed his Emp, but he did. Now, with Burn and maybe less than a 1/5th HP, I Sucker Punch for the win. Amazing I thought, I should never lose confidence, despite any situation.

Round 3

This guy used Gyrados and Dusknoir as his starters, Mamo and Glace as his finishers. So, I simply Fake Out his Gyrados, while Dusk taunts his Dusk as this plays a big part in the game. Now, I use Rock Slide and hit his Gyrados and Mamo, which he switches in. Weavile uses Ice Punch on Dos taking it to around 50 %, with the help of Rock Slide, while it uses DDance. Weavile dies after Ice Punching Gyra taking it to 25 % iirc and Dusk hits Mamo w/ WoW. Gyra uses Waterfall and KO's Weav and Mamo uses Stone Edge for some bare minimum damage. Meta comes in and helps save the game! Meteor Mashing Dos and somehow KO'ing it, while Mamo switches out for Glaceon, whom gets KO'd by the second Rock Slide. Now, Mamo comes back and so does Dusk. Metagross explodes, making it my win, 2-0.

Breaktime

This is for those who've won three straight battles, where I first met batpig if memory serves me correct. Just hung out for an hour, then started round 4. As of this round onwards, everything gets serious.

Round 4

Now, I really enjoyed this match, as I not only won 3-0, being my best streak yet, but since I've never played against it before. So, he brought our a Garchomp and Starmie, of which I fake out Garchomp, and as always, SP Starmie while Starmie signal beams Weav for 75 % health loss. Weavile KO's Garchomp w/ Ice Punch, Starmie KO's Weavile and Dusk KO's Starmie. I bring in Metagross to face his Weavile and Gyrados. You know how it goes, Meta BP's, Gyra EQ's for 50 % damage on both of my guys, and Dusk's Rock Slide and Weavile Night Slashes me since of it's survival w/ Sash, but still no KO. I use Protect on Meta, Dusk uses Rock Slide, ko'ing Weavile and making Gyra's Waterfall useless on Meta. Meta uses Meteor Mash and somehow KO's, since of two Rock Slides taking place.
I win this match 3-0.

Quarterfinals

The limelight of the day, exactly what my team was made to counter. My mons, you know, BlueKiKatana's, are Smeargle/Dusk/Snorlax/Spiritomb. I start out by Faking out Smeargle, taunting Dusknoir was the right choice. No TR for Noir anytime soon. So, I Ice Punch Dusk incase of a Fighting or Dark-resistant, and hit his Tomb, taking out more than 70 % of it's health, while Dusk Rock Slides, taking out Smeargle and putting Tomb just over 20 % health. He brings in Snorlax, so I Night Slash the bear, activating Sitrus, then Taunt it using Dusk, being it unable to Belly Drum, and making Spiritombs Psych Up useless. Now, I finish off Tomb w/ Night Slash, and burn Snorlax with Dusknoir, which helps Weavile survive the Fire Punch. Weavile Night Slashes, Dusk taunts his Dusk incase of setting up TR, but he just Shadow Punches, at which point Weavile dies from Fire Punch. I bring in Metagross. I Bullet Punch his Dusk and Shadow Punch it, where Dusk dies, and KiKatana just Self-Destructs, knowing he can't win. Good game bro, but I just got into St. Louis.

Semifinals

So, this was the semifinals, which meant I already got the ticket to St. Louis. Now it just meant getting first or second for the all-expense paid trip, but eitherways, I still get to go to St. Louis if I lose. So, my opponent, Vinh, oh god, this guy just ran over my team without even having any troubles! So, the game started with his Metagross and Gyrados, while my Weavile and Dusknoir started out as usual. So, I first Fake Out his Meta, and try taunting his Dos, thinking he might be DDancing on me, but it turns out he Taunts me, making Dusknoir practically useless. So now, Weavile uses Night Slash whilst Gyrados protects and Meta BulletPunch's my Dusknoir. Not good, 50 % health already. I try Rock Sliding, but it only hit Meta, making it near useless due to Gyras protect. So now, I aim for Metagross again, but it BP's my Weavile before anythings done, taking it out with ease, while Gyrados just Waterfalls. Now, I bring my Meta, first move Protect, while his Gyra does the same. Meta's BP hits Dusk, taking it 25 % health. Meta now uses Explosion, taking out Gyrados, making the game 3-2 in Vinh's favor. At this point, I'm pretty sure I can't win with two tanks of mine, but what else can I do? So, he brings in Garchomp, I bring in Tomb. I try WoW'ing both of them, but both miss, one due to protect, the other just because WoW misses a lot. Garchomp switches into Electivire, where his Meta finally KO's my Dusknoir with Bullet Punch. Spiritomb vs Metagross and Electivire, Vire used T-Bolt and Tomb used Hypnosis, and what do you know, it missed. So now, Metagross used Bullet Punch and Vire T-Bolted me for the game. Good game Vinh, I'll see you in St. Louis.

Yeah, that was my team. Don't say your team can counter it because chances are it can. This is what I used to get far into the finals, and it did great. If there's some good criticism or suggestions, feel more than free to post. If you're wondering, I used 4 Shiny Pokemon in my 6 man team, completely legit, as checked on the machine by the Staff, so don't be scared to use shinies in the tournament, they only DQ you if it's ACTUALLY hacked, not abused through the RNGReporter, as it comes up legit. I got 3rd Place, tied with Mikey, the other guy in this quadruplet at San Francisco.

Props

-Deschain, for just being freaking awesome. This guy is a lifesaver.
-V4por, trading my his Weavile, which was the superstar in most matches
-CosmicJ, for being there when I most needed it.
-DEZTROYA, helping me finish the first team which I didn't use in the end, but it's the though that counts.
-JacobXDreadX, his Dusknoir caught everyones eye in the semifinal matchup with win, getting all around 'whoa's.
-BlakBlastoise, damn dude, your Metas just amazing. Nuff said.
-zerowing, for helping me realize I should go with a team I'm comfortable with and helping me practice, without you, I'd have got owned using the Lv1 Smeargle trick.
mingot, lending me Rampardos for help with TR. Dingol Berry ftw.
-zero_likespie, his Tomb did amazing in just about every match. Good breed, it's a keeper my friend.
-Miltonic's Snorlax for subbing.
-Forbidden's Gyrados for also subbing.
-Diesel, for helping me get a better feel for Doubles.​

Oh yeah, one last thing, can't wait to see you all in St. Louis!

Update
Pictures of me and the other finalists in San Francisco.

Here, it's Mikey on the left, and yours truly on the right. We tied for 3rd place at SFO.

Here, we have Smogon's very own batpig holding the Championship trophy! Along with Mikey and I, there's Vinh to the very left. If you didn't know, Vinh knocked me out and got runner up.

ugghh, seeing how many people were at SFO makes me think i wont get picked in phoenix.
sorry about your loss:(

Nice Sidd! I really enjoy these stories!
Yeah, I'm going to add the items right next to it and put the Pictures above them, but my edit buttons not working. Hopefully it'll start working soon so I can make the changes.
Congrats Sidd and nice job copying diesel's layout too. :P
Thanks.
ugghh, seeing how many people were at SFO makes me think i wont get picked in phoenix.
sorry about your loss:(
Trust me, Phoenix should be less crowded. At one point of time, the whole room was so crowded we had to ask everybody who wasn't participating to move back when there was barely any space behind us.

Cool beans. Good job, and I'll see you in St. Louis.

Just wondering, whose Snorlax was that in your team?
Miltonic's Sassy one, but I didn't use it in any matches. I can give you a copy if you don't have one.

Great matches, WoW missing was unfortunate, but you made it to St Louis so that's something to be happy about. Well done.
True, I was only aiming for St. Louis, sure the flight ticket costs money, but I have relatives living there, so free hotel food and fares!

Nicely done, I'm glad you changed your team. I kept telling you to change it, but you wouldn't listen to me, only to the all-mighty zerowing. >:( haha.

As for the story, I think you should reread it and make it a little more clear. You were there, so you know exactly what happened, but remember that your audience is reading this for the first time. Personally, I got confused a bunch when you were explaining what happened in the battles. Sentences like "I Meteor Mash on Dos, doing some 20 % damage and Dusk Rock Slides, for it hits Meta, but Gyra protects" really make people have to think about what happened, when they shouldn't have to. Also it might help to write the moves in the order in which they happened. If you say them out of order, that's how we'll imagine the battle, which leads to confusion. Also there's quite a few grammatical errors, but those should be easier to fix. Remember these are warstories, not just "hey guess what happened!" stories that you tell your friends. I learned that the hard way after my first war story, which I wrote last year. Not bad for your first one though, and I know you're just a young gun, haha.

Also I loved how that guy copied my team exactly and played it terribly. Poor bastard must have just watched the video on YT and thought he'd have a free ticket to St. Louis in no time.

Nicely done, I'm glad you changed your team. I kept telling you to change it, but you wouldn't listen to me, only to the all-mighty zerowing. >:( haha.

As for the story, I think you should reread it and make it a little more clear. You were there, so you know exactly what happened, but remember that your audience is reading this for the first time. Personally, I got confused a bunch when you were explaining what happened in the battles. Sentences like "I Meteor Mash on Dos, doing some 20 % damage and Dusk Rock Slides, for it hits Meta, but Gyra protects" really make people have to think about what happened, when they shouldn't have to. Also it might help to write the moves in the order in which they happened. If you say them out of order, that's how we'll imagine the battle, which leads to confusion. Also there's quite a few grammatical errors, but those should be easier to fix. Remember these are warstories, not just "hey guess what happened!" stories that you tell your friends. I learned that the hard way after my first war story, which I wrote last year. Not bad for your first one though, and I know you're just a young gun, haha.

Also I loved how that guy copied my team exactly and played it terribly. Poor bastard must have just watched the video on YT and thought he'd have a free ticket to St. Louis in no time.
Yeah, thanks, and I'm currently editing it in on my Mac, so it should be clearly done soon.
Lol, the guy who copied your team was BlueKiKatana, a Smog member.

Diesel, Berton already has a ticket in. He top 4 last week =o. Congrats on making top 4. I would have expected seeing TR on your noir lol.

Diesel, Berton already has a ticket in. He top 4 last week =o. Congrats on making top 4. I would have expected seeing TR on your noir lol.
Yeah, but I'm all for anti TR, despite how my Pokes would have benefitted from TR. Now, it's all or nothing at St. Louis.

So BlueKiKatana = Berton = Top 4 Seattle?

And yea, I've gotta say, Dusknoir is a strange choice for a non-TR lead, and especially for a taunter, since you can't block anything but TR. It seems as though you would have been completely ravaged by a Weather team.

Yup same person. Yea he could have been destroyed by one. Same thing with you if someone used taunt against your TR. You will always have a bad match up one way or the other.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Entertaining read, and congrats on the top 4! I agree with Diesel about the Dusknoir though. It seems as though Taunt is only for Trick Room, and you do know that if two Trick Rooms are used the second one cancels the first one out. That's why Trick Room is superior to Taunt on your Dusknoir. When I lost in last years VGS the japanese girl I faced used a Slowbro which cancelled out my Trick Room screwing me over.

So BlueKiKatana = Berton = Top 4 Seattle?

And yea, I've gotta say, Dusknoir is a strange choice for a non-TR lead, and especially for a taunter, since you can't block anything but TR. It seems as though you would have been completely ravaged by a Weather team.
Yep, this is just a solo counter to TR teams/anti-TR teams, CaptCoconut could've kicked my ass if I fought him, but I guess I got lucky being placed with the people. It'll be different in St. Louis though.

Yup same person. Yea he could have been destroyed by one. Same thing with you if someone used taunt against your TR. You will always have a bad match up one way or the other.
Well, I don't use TR, but the opponent could Taunt me still.

Congratulations Siddarth, I hope that the Shedinja wasn't really needed. =\ Watch out for Taunt on your Spiritomb, that could be nasty if they have a non attacking move, Spiritomb could be useless like that.

Congratulations for your excellent placement Siddarth.
Thank you Cosmic, couldn't have done it without you.

Hey, good job. Cool team but it does look like weather would be a problem.
It would, especially sunny-day teams, and probably rain dance too.

Wow, only an anti-TR team? I dare say you overachieved quite a bit, my friend, haha.
I'm pretty sure I got way too lucky this time. I was wearing my Spadilingam anyways, so it could've been because of that.

Congratulations Siddarth, I hope that the Shedinja wasn't really needed. =\ Watch out for Taunt on your Spiritomb, that could be nasty if they have a non attacking move, Spiritomb could be useless like that.
Thanks, yeah, this is gonna be a discontinued team, unless someone finds a way for it to be used. Hopefully my next team will be strategically better planned and have a less weakness to more teams.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Congrats on 3rd! Reading this just makes me even more excited to go to Texas :D

Edit: how did you tie for 3rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)