1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

(Sign up) Priority

Discussion in 'Office of Strategic Influence' started by jigglypuffers42, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Iono what you're all implying but we don't tell everyone to start their sign-ups all at once, it just happens when it happens.
  2. Blue_Tornado

Blue_Tornado

voicing my support for negative handpick
  3. vonFiedler

vonFiedler GAMG GRGAK
    is a Community Contributor

I'm sure you don't, but yeti and especially jig could have decided to postpone their sign-ups by a day or two. Then when less people sign-up its not as if the sky is falling, and when some people have less time this week anyway...
  4. jigglypuffers42

jigglypuffers42

No one wants to join beginner because it lowers your priority for standard.
  5. dak

dak

which is precisely my point
  6. Engineer Pikachu

Engineer Pikachu Good morning, you bastards!
    is a Contributor to Smogon

This. Why can't we have a 75% first-come-first-serve and 25% randomized for beginner sign-ups? Many people I know and have talked to said that they decided to lower their own priority or even not sign up for the Beginner game so they could have a higher chance of being in the Standard game. By using arbitrary% FCFS and 100-arbitrary% randomized after that, you won't have this priority issue.
  7. wickdaggler

wickdaggler

or you could just use the negative handpick concept, which, in my opinion anyway, is brilliant
  8. Engineer Pikachu

Engineer Pikachu Good morning, you bastards!
    is a Contributor to Smogon

I personally like the idea, but what is the point of handpicking people you have never heard of?
  9. MK Ultra

MK Ultra BOOGEYMAN
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

It makes sure they are beginners - anyone who the host of an expert game has heard of and has a decent reputation gets in, it should be the opposite for a beginner game.
  10. Raikage

Raikage

Handpicking is fine as long as hosts remember to check the other games so that the players he picks aren't in other games
  11. Shiny Celebi

Shiny Celebi

I need to get good at Mafia, but there arent enough beginner ones it seems

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)