1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

[Signups] Magic the Gathering: Tournament I

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by matty, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matty

matty I did stuff a long time ago for the site
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Magic the Gathering: Tournament I
    Approved By BillydaKid

Hello Magic the Gathering friends. Welcome to the first ever Magic the Gathering Tournament on Smogon.
    In order to play in this tournament, you need to have Cockarice downloaded and working before the tournament starts. You can find details and instructions on their website: http://cockatrice.de/

You can also ask one of the members in #mtg for helping setting up

This will be a Modern tournament. The banlist, blocks and other misc item can be found at the official Wizard of the Coasts website http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Res...rces/sfrmodern

The tournament rules are directly ripped from the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament (Atticus is a boss and let me, so thanks to him)

Tournament Rules:
    1. All players must carefully familiarize themselves with the latest rulebook and follow the rules carefully.
    2. If there is a dispute in terms of rulings, refer to the Magic Wiki or ask a knowledgable person on our IRC channel #mtg.
    3. Game discussion will be held on #mtg on irc.synirc.net. This can also be used to schedule matches and find some help for your deck! I can't stress this chat enough, there's almost always someone on and I encourage you to use it for anything MTG related
    4. You DO HAVE TO use the same deck throughout the entire tournament and you CANNOT change your deck during the same round.
    4a. In order to be fair, send in decks to TheAngry Scientist; he has generously volunteered to collect the decks for the tournament in order to make sure that people aren't changing between rounds. Thanks!
    5. The tournament is played in two parts: the first part of the tournament will be a Swiss round. The number of people that signup will be divided into 2 group. Each player will play all the other players in a best of 3. The 2 players with the best records from each group will move onto the round of 4. The #1 seed from group one will then play the #2 from group two and vice versa. The proceeding rounds will be best of 3 as well.
    6. No player may reveal the contents of their opponent's deck. Doing so will get you kicked out of the tournament and banned from future tournaments
    7. Each player may use a 15 card Side Deck or no sideboard at all; nothing in between
    8. Creativity is encouraged, although not mandatory. (Ripping other peoples decks off the internet isn't a bad idea *wink wink*)
    9. It is advised that players compete whilst drunk, high, or any other mood to insure the most fun possibly. EVERYONE and their mom wants to duel a drunk Hobo Joe.
    10. - All matches will be played on Cockatrice in best 2 out of 3 match format. NO exceptions.

11. Signups will be up until next Thursday at 5 PM MST

The current signup list is as follows:

1. matty
    2. Lady Salamance
    3. tad38
    4. asim
    5. Loos
    6. Mr Escalator
    7. Yuri
    8. Temperantia
    9. whistle the gay
    10.sandman
    11. Myzozoa
    12. Tea Demon
    13. ibojangles
    14. Shiki
    15. Iron
    16. Fig
    17. IPL
    18. Phiddlesticks
    19. Timetwister
    20. Blue Captain

Good luck guys
  2. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

got cockatrice working but someone explain to me how to use it ?_?

in
  3. theamericandream38

theamericandream38

4. asim

asim

of course
  5. Loos

Loos

I'm in.
  6. Mr Escalator

Mr Escalator

I'll enter. Just need to tidy my sideboard up a bit and I'll be ready to lose!
  7. theangryscientist

theangryscientist

since i won't be playing at all, i volunteer to collect the decklists
  8. Yuri

Yuri

babymoses.
  9. Temperantia

Temperantia

Le In

Will send decklist soon. Just need to work out the kinks.
  10. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

in to give free wins
  11. sandman

sandman Bum bum bum bum
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

12. Myzozoa

Myzozoa Throw-up on the internet, or get off on TV
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

In, gonna make some sort of midrange deck that will lose to 12-post in a hilarious fashion. Also im predicting splinter-twin to win this entire thing.
  13. TEA_DEMON

TEA_DEMON

14. matty

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Thank you so much to TheAngryScientist, he has volunteered to collect the decklists. I have updated rule 4a. accordingly :D
  15. bojangles

bojangles IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I'll try to make time for this. In.
  16. Shiki1335

Shiki1335

ill join still deciding of the deck soo ill send it to him soon.
  17. Jace the Mind Sculptor

Jace the Mind Sculptor

Im in there!!!!!!!

My name on Cockatrice is Iron Man. My name on irc is Iron.
  18. Fig

Fig Needs to stop disappearing.
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I'm in. My decklist is pretty much finalized, still on the fence on whether I want to run one set of cards or another.
  19. imperfectluck

imperfectluck
    is a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 4th Official Smogon Tournament

20. Phiddlesticks

Phiddlesticks

i would like to enter this tournament
  21. timetwister

timetwister

I'll play; I'll borrow my friend's friend's decklist from PT Philly because I have no experience in Modern. :P
  22. matty

Ok, unfortunately I have to make an executive decision. Since we had a lot more signups than I originally thought I'm going to change some of the rules accordingly.

1) I'm going to have to close signups to 20. We can have more people signup as subs. Why am I doing this? (Well I'm glad you asked)
    2) With an even number of people (20) we would have 10 people in each pool. That is way to big. Instead, lets split up the pools into 4s. Each pool with have 5 people in it.
    3) Again, like I stated above, the #1 and #2 seeds from each pool with advance. Since we have 4 pools, we will have a Ro8 instead of the Ro4.
    4) The games will still be Bo3s. That rule hasn't changed.

Now I hope people realize why I'm doing this. I think it will make the tournament run a lot smoother and plus you'll have a much better chance of moving on out of pool play. If you have any concerns, send me a wall or PM.
  23. Bluecaptain

Bluecaptain

Hi, it looks like there is one more spot left, do you think I could take it, thanks.
  24. matty

And with BlueCaptain as our last one to sign up, I'm going to close this thread and start making the pools and post the Round 1 list soon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)