ORAS Doubles OU Silhouette

Hello everyone, -Tynamo- here. With this post, I will be hitting my .75k. As for the team, it is a team based around not only one of my favorite mega evolutions (I only like Altaria more) but also based around one of the most underrated threats in the DOU metagame, Charixard-X. Most teams don't really prepare for Char-X that much, as Talonflame is the only offensive fire while Physical Dragons are even rarer. Char-X hits much harder than Talon, so most of what people use to check it are beat by Char-X.

Teambuilding

I decided to begin this team with Charizard-X, as it is a very underrated mega that I haven't built around yet.

I then decided to go with Jirachi, as a redirector is necessary for Charizard-X to be able to set up. Jirachi is also a good mon when it comes to speed control, as it knows Icy Wind, and it resists Dragon. Iron Head flinching is also cool.

I couldn't think of what I needed to add next, so I decided to add Genies as they provide Intimidate Support, Taunt, TWave, and 2 Ground immunities.

I added Keldeo as my next pokemon, as it gives me another Ice-type check, as well as Kang check, and a Dark check, among others.

Finally, I decided to add an Aegislash, as it is a TR check, as well as another Kang check, and can help in the Lando and Volcanion matchup thanks to Wide Guard.

The Squad:

^_^ (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 196 Atk / 68 Def / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

My first team member is Charizard-X, the pokemon I built the team around, as well as one of the most underrated megas in DOU. It serves as a strong, late game set up sweeper, as well a strong breaker. The EV's look weird, but the defense means it can survive 1 eq from a Lando-T, or 2 Rock Slides. 244 speed allows it to outspeed Modest Scarf Hydreigon, base 150's, and anything slower (including Lando-T!) while the rest is thrown into attack. Set-up move in DD and dual stab's with protect means it can hit hard and sweep teams.

(◕‿◕✿) (Jirachi) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Jirachi is very well known as being one of the best Support mons in the tier, and for good reason, as it can drop speed thanks to Icy Wind, flinch my opponents with Iron Head, and redirect attacks with follow me, which is necessary for Zard-X sweeps. I chose safety goggles as the item as it allows me to redirect Amoonguss's and Breloom's spores, allowing Zard-X to set up on them, or allowing Thundurus to taunt them. EV's are the standard spread, so there is not much to say about that. Jirachi's typing also makes it a cornerstone of the team, as it provides a great Pixilate, Diancie, and Kyube check for my team. Icy Wind is used over TWave to lure Lando-T.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

The third mon I put on this team is Landorus-Therian, as Intimidate + A ground immunity is very good for the team. Scarf gives me a little more speed which my team currently needs (Im pretty sure without scarf Zard is the fastest mon lol) And Adamant, while being standard, ensures I hit as hard as necessary. I run Superpower over Knock Off to give me a good Ferrothorn / Kangaskhan check that my team currently lacks. And U-Turn ensures that I can gain a bit more momentum versus other teams.

:^) (Thundurus) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 216 HP / 4 Def / 180 SpA / 88 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

The next mon on my team is the other face of Genies, and it is Thundurus. I choose to run the bulky spread over the offensive one as I preferred my Thundurus's not getting worn down as much. I run the spread from this thread instead of the analysis set as Keldeo is OHKO'd by Thunderbolt from this spread, which was very important to me as I have very few Keldeo checks. Thunder wave for speed control, Thunderbolt and HP Ice as attacks, and taunt to beat TR setters is a nice combo that has served me, and many others well.​

(-_-) (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

The second to last mon on this team is Keldeo, as it is a strong Kang / Ground / Sun (somewhat) check that also helps versus Talonflame with QG. Max SpA and Speed with LO guarantee that I hit as hard as possible. Not really much more to say about it, as it fills an important role, and is fairly similar each time you see it. Also, I ran Scald for a little while on this as I hated missing Hydro Pump, but switched back because I missed Hydro Pumps power.

(⌐□_□) (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard

As for the final mon I put on this team, I decided to choose Aegislash, as it is another Pixilate check, Psychic check, Kangaskhan check, and more. Weakness Policy with Max SpA + Bulk ensures that I can hit most mons that hit it for super-effective damage with a +2 Flash Cannon or Shadow Ball afterwards. I run Wide Guard over Substitute so I can better check Spread Attackers such as Lando-T. Quiet nature means I underspeed some TR mons so I can hit them hard with a STAB when TR is up.
And that is the team! I have had a lot of fun playing with it and hope you will too. ^_^ But now onto the threatlist and importable.​

My team very heavily struggles against sun, particularly when these two mons are on the field together, as my best Zard Checks, Lando and Keld, hate Venusaur giga draining them while my best Saur checks melt in the face of heat wave. If Venusaur is gone it provides a fantastic set up opportunity for Zard though.

LO Thund is another very big threat, as it can 2HKO every mon on my team bar Zard if it has already Mega'd. Zard can handle it if it has Mega'd and Thund has been weakened down by LO recoil, but I always have to watch out for TWave.

Hoopa-Unbound practically 2HKO's my entire team, I have nothing to switch in to it, and it breaking through protect with its attacks just makes it worse if it has a Lando partner to beat Zard and Lando.

^_^ (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 196 Atk / 68 Def / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

(◕‿◕✿) (Jirachi) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Protect

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

:^) (Thundurus) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 216 HP / 4 Def / 180 SpA / 88 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

(-_-) (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

(⌐□_□) (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard

Just wait another 250 posts guys ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
yo dude, good team : )! I agree that XZard is a very underrated mon, it's still very powerful even without a boost bc lol Flare Blitz + Tough Claws. Not much to change really, there's no obvious weakness that comes to mind as the build is just generally sound.

My only suggestion really is to change the XZard spread to a much more simpler 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe spread. Trying to live hits with XZard is, simply put, a waste of time and effort as it self-damages with Flare Blitz anyway, meaning the benchmark won't be effective anymore if you Blitz once (in practice, there are cases when you'd rather just straight up nuke something than make the DD play) and if you do get to live the benchmark you'll die anyway next turn so /shrug. The additional Attack EVs would be more useful in the long run as any more power can help long-term, and getting the tie is still more is still more practical.

Also, as a side-note, the stuff you put on your threatlist isn't that much of a problem lol. XZard is basically a win button against sun as it can easily set up a DD against Zard and Venu can get denied by Rachi. Opposing Offensive Thundurus can be dealt with fine enough with your own Thundurus, Aegi, and Lando-T, and your matchup against it is infinitely better if you have Jirachi to take Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt for XZard and Keld to actually KO. Hoopa-U generally gets outrun by a good portion of your team and is only a threat when it has the speed advantage, so you just have to deal with Room or TWind not being up.

anyways, ganbatte :pimp:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
One thing you might want to consider is pumping Jirachi's Speed to 265. The standard Hoopa-U usually don't pump any more Speed than that. At least this way you can bank on Jirachi's Iron Head to win you one or two free turns to establish a better position vs Hoopa-U.

You can also try Heatran > Aegislash. Makes you less weak to Hoopa-U, and gives you a solid switch-in to Heat Waves & Overheats. I find that if you're using Jirachi, you better have good switch-ins to Fire- and Ground-type moves to get the most mileage out of it and to prevent Jirachi from becoming a liability. Although Heatran adds another weakness to Ground, you have a solid switch-in named Lando-T.

Something like 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpA, Modest Nature would let Heatran survive even STAB EQs from Lando-T with the help of Shuca Berry, even without Intimidate support (unless Lando-T is LO). In addition to Heat Wave, Earth Power, & Protect, your fourth move can be Overheat or HP Ice for Lando-T or Ancient Power for Charizard Y / Talonflame.

Replacing Heatran > Aegislash may make your team vulnerable to Fighting- and Water-types, though. You may want to consider BD Azumarill > Keldeo if you find this to be the case.

EDIT: Stratos just pointed out to me that he disagreed with all of my suggestions, so take this rate with a grain of salt ;-;

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
One thing you might want to consider is pumping Jirachi's Speed to 265. The standard Hoopa-U usually don't pump any more Speed than that. At least this way you can bank on Jirachi's Iron Head to win you one or two free turns to establish a better position vs Hoopa-U.
standard hoopa-u runs max tbh pocket, analysis is bad

You can also try Heatran > Aegislash. Makes you less weak to Hoopa-U, and gives you a solid switch-in to Heat Waves & Overheats. I find that if you're using Jirachi, you better have good switch-ins to Fire- and Ground-type moves to get the most mileage out of it and to prevent Jirachi from becoming a liability. Although Heatran adds another weakness to Ground, you have a solid switch-in named Lando-T.

Something like 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpA, Modest Nature would let Heatran survive even STAB EQs from Lando-T with the help of Shuca Berry, even without Intimidate support (unless Lando-T is LO). In addition to Heat Wave, Earth Power, & Protect, your fourth move can be Overheat or HP Ice for Lando-T or Ancient Power for Charizard Y / Talonflame.
I disagree with this as well because without aegislash, lando-t coming in forces tynamo to play VERY predictably, he has to go to one of his genies. If u get rid of Aegis for tran, lando can come in on anything but thund or a healthy keld and be a massive pain in the ass, especially if it comes in on Lando, then you have to go to Thund and that's easy to take advantage of. having wide guard gives u a lot more leeway to beat Lando since you can do things like WG + icy, WG + DD, etc.

you could change the Lando set to Ebelt or LO or *hack* *cough* *splutter* assault vest with Stone Edge for the guaranteed OHKO on Zard 80% of the time even at -1. With Rachi or Thundurus you should be able to counterlead zard/venu shit pretty easily, and if you can maneuver to a DD with Zard, it shouldn't be hard for you to take the game. I know you said your big problem was with OThund but this should also be a big help against DThund as Ebelt Edge drops that shit. Ebelt Lando bluffs scarf, but LO lando ohkoes -def hoopa-U, take your pick. Protect Lando variants are also better against Kangaskhan, which might free up your keldeo slot to change to better handle whatever else is troubling your team. The downside is that you're now not faster than Diancie.

Honestly not sure i'd change the keldeo, it's the best way to check both Bisharp and Lando-T, which are both huge trouble for your team.

The other possibility aside from not changing keldeo would be changing aegislash to a very fat conkeldurr wide guard variant, somethin real bulky with ice punch drain punch mach punch wide guard w/ def or spdef investment, and then changing keld to some other ground/talon check, such as a (scarf?) rotom-w. in the end you would be losing quick guard and one of your two very solid diancie checks and also two protect users (tho gaining 1 in lando) tho. In the end it's all your decision, honestly i'm spitballing here because its very late. Seems worth trying though, at least, probably. this change would help a lot w/ lando and maybe with othund though. Or actually, even just changing keld to a fast (outspeed bisharp) wisp rotom-w without changing aegislash seems worth trying too, maybe, though you'd still be v bisharp weak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)