Simisear Revamp (QC: 3/3) (GP: 2/2)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

So Fab~

[Overview]

<p>With good Speed, power, and offensive typing, Simisear has the makings of an effective and fabulous sweeper. It is fast enough to outrun prominent threats such as Haunter, Charizard, and Sawsbuck and has the movepool to nail most of them hard. To top it off, it has good mixed attacking stats as well as Nasty Plot, the latter of which allows it to stand out amongst the other Fire-types of NU. However, Simisear has a couple of traits that do cramp up its style. It is frail and has many exploitable weaknesses to Water, Ground, and Rock, all of which are common. Even though it has a less severe Stealth Rock weakness than Charizard, it still faces stiff competition from the "cliché dragon" due to the ape's lesser power, bulk, and movepool, most notably having no healing move to offset any damage taken. Simisear does boast the advantage of playing around Stealth Rock better than the its fellow fast Fire-types, Charizard and Rapidash, so if you want a Fire-type that has an easier time hopping in and out of battle while laying the hurt, give Simisear a try.</p>

[SET]
name: Substitute + Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Salac Berry
ability: Gluttony
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Like its fellow simians, Simisear aims to nab a boost from Nasty Plot and Salac Berry and sweep. One of the only Fire-types that can use its STAB well enough for sweeping purposes, Simisear aims to raze down all in its path in one fell swoop. Nasty Plot is its boosting move of choice, a selling point Simisear has over Charizard, which has no Special Attack-boosting option. Substitute is used to force Simisear into Salac Berry range without taking too much damage, and has the benefit of dodging Sucker Punch and preventing priority from stopping Simisear in the midst of its sweep, provided the Substitute remains intact beforehand. Focus Blast gets rid of pesky bulky Normal-types such as Licklicky, Audino, and Thick Fat Miltank while maintaining good coverage with Fire Blast in general, as few opponents resist both Fire and Fighting. Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast so that a miss won't cost the sweep, but is less capable of OHKOing most foes after the +2 boost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Having 4 HP EVs makes Simisear's max HP divisible by four, allowing it to activate Salac Berry with two uses of Substitute or one Substitute after Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Grass or Grass Knot can be used to get rid of Water-types, depending on whether Simisear wants reliable damage against all Water-types such as Gorebyss and Alomomola or slightly stronger hits on heavier Water-types such as Samurott and Seismitoad, but aren't too useful outside of that and Fire + Grass is resisted by Fire-types and Dragon-types. Simisear becomes crazy strong after the boosts, but its poor defensive typing and defenses means attaining them won't be easy. Partners should be able to provide Simisear the optimal setup and sweeping conditions. Gardevoir and Serperior provide dual screens support; Serperior manhandles bothersome Water-types and also tends to lure in weaker Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Metang (without Earthquake) that Simisear could set up on, while Gardevoir can use Memento to further weaken the opponent's attacks and allow Simisear to switch in for free. Stealth Rock support can help to secure important KOs, namely on Charizard, Samurott, and Mandibuzz, among others. Golem or Seismitoad not only set up Stealth Rock, but also lure in Grass-types for Simisear to set up on while covering up Simisear's weaknesses.</p>

<p>Priority users can still stop Simisear's sweep; Gurdurr can deal with the majority of priority users (namely Kangaskhan and Skuntank) and can smash Lickilicky easily, while Seismitoad can absorb Aqua Jet from Samurott and Carracosta. Special walls are an issue since this Simisear isn't meant for wallbreaking; wallbreakers are recommended partners to help deal with them lest Simisear's sweep be shortened. Sawk is a prime wallbreaker and lures Misdreavus's Will-O-Wisp which Simisear can switch into, whereas Eelektross provides a slow Volt Switch, can switch in Ground-types, lures in Grass-types, and is a wallbreaker with Superpower all in one. Simisear does not safely set up on very much, so Pokemon that can lure in Fire-weak Pokemon and have switching moves make great partners: U-turn Primeape, Baton Pass Sawsbuck, and Volt Switch Eelektross are such examples.</p>

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Grass Knot
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Hidden Power Rock
item: Life Orb
ability: Blaze
nature: Hasty
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Immediately powerful and threatening, there are few Pokemon slower than mixed Simisear that can comfortably switch into and take its attacks. This Simisear either punches holes into the opponent mid-game or cleans up late-game. STAB Fire Blast threatens a lot of Pokemon such as Sawsbuck, Tangela and Metang, and nets good coverage on the tier. Grass Knot trips up Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types, such as Seismitoad, Golurk, Golem, and Carracosta. Superpower nails the Rock / Steel types, Probopass and Bastiodon, as well as bulky Normal-types such as Lickilicky, Thick Fat Miltank and Thick Fat Munchlax, hard. Hidden Power Rock easily KOes Charizard and threatens Torkoal and Rapidash, while not leaving Simisear totally helpless against Altaria, Mantine, and Flareon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes offensive potential, with the remaining not dropped into HP to be able to switch into Stealth Rock at most 4 times if unscathed. Focus Blast could be used over Superpower, but Grass Knot is more useful and accurate against the majority of Rock-types while Superpower hits specially defensive Pokemon harder. Rock Slide could possibly be used over Hidden Power Rock, but Rock Slide only hits specially defensive Altaria and Flareon harder; Rock Slide can also miss, whereas Hidden Power Rock can guarantee an OHKO on Charizard and not do piddly against Torkoal. There maybe times where Grass Knot would not be sufficient in covering the majority of Water-types. Pokemon such as Serperior or Leafeon can take advantage of said Water-types, while appreciating Simisear's hole punching capabilities to give themselves a chance to sweep. Electric-types can swiftly remove Water-types, Eelektross receiving a special mention due to its slow Volt Switch bringing Simisear in safely and make a solid wallbreaking core. Stealth Rock setters that can cover the majority of Simisear's weaknesses, such as Seismitoad (Water + Rock) or Torterra (Ground + Rock), make for excellent partners.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Choiced sets can be used since Simisear has less issues with Stealth Rock than Charizard and has the stats for the job, but that is pretty much the only advantage Choiced Simisear has over Choiced Charizard, the latter of which is stronger, has more coverage, and is immune to other hazards. Substitute + Endeavor can be used to lure and defeat bulky Pokemon that it could not otherwise, but Charizard's Swords Dance set pulls this concept off much better, and doesn't have to nearly sacrifice itself doing so. Simisear has an expansive physical movepool in Fire Punch, Crunch, and Acrobatics, but Crunch is the only notable one since it can nail specially bulky Psychic-types such as Grumpig, Hypno, and Gardevoir, while the rest are outclassed by its main options. Simisear can pull off a SunnyBeam set, but Solar Power Charizard exists alongside it, stealing the spotlight once again. Simisear has some disruptive options in Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, Amnesia, Yawn, Knock Off, and Covet, but is much too frail to make use of any of them.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Pokemon that resist Fire and aren't weak to its stronger attacks, namely Thick Fat Grumpig, Mantine, Altaria, Dragonair, Flareon, and Thick Fat Munchlax counter Simisear very well. Otherwise, Simisear can prove difficult to switch into, but is easy to revenge kill as its frailty is easily taken advantage of. Faster Pokemon such as Swellow, Tauros and Kadabra can usually dispatch Simisear quickly, but most of them cannot do so after Simisear consumes its Salac Berry. Even then, priority, most notably Aqua Jet from Carracosta or Samurott, easily dents Simisear, as well as Kangaskhan's Fake Out or Gurdurr's Mach Punch, but do note that Simisear resists Ice Shard and Bullet Punch whereas Sucker Punch can be countered with a Substitute. Almost any Choice Scarf Pokemon can put the pressure on Simisear since their attacks tend to do a lot of damage to it. Sometimes it can be as simple as surviving Simisear's attack, then retaliating for usually significant damage. For example, Gorebyss and Alomomola do not take too much from Grass Knot, can survive unboosted Hidden Power Grass, and hit back hard with Water STAB. Most Water-types, especially the heavier ones, make risky responses to Simisear, but otherwise can take a Grass Knot or Hidden Power Grass and KO back; Pokemon such as Regirock and Piloswine also fall into this category. Simisear despises status, especially paralysis, so bulky Pokemon such as Body Slam Lickilicky, Munchlax or Miltank, and Thunder Wave Musharna can stop Simisear.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never really used Simisear outside of Sub Nasty Plot, so I'm not going to give this a full QC check without testing out the other sets. However, if we decide to have a Choice Specs and a Choice Scarf set, they need to be separated. Scarf and Specs sets play completely different from each other, and Overheat sounds horrible on Scarf (and Specs, really, but definitely Scarf). I think Scarf probably deserves a set with Fire Blast / Flamethrower / Focus Blast / HP Grass, but I don't know about Specs.

As for Nasty Plot:

The set should really be Nasty Plot / Substitute / Fire Blast / Focus Blast in my opinion. This is what I used, and I really don't see any other set with Nasty Plot working as well as this does. Hidden Power Grass is far too weak, and Focus Blast hits most of its targets almost as hard anyways. The same pretty much goes for Flamethrower, but both can be added to AC.

Set Comments: Cut "+2 Fire STAB is nothing to scoff at, especially when backed by the equivalent of a Choice Scarf boost." I think the more important thing to note is that Simisear is one of only like three Fire-types in NU that can use its STAB really well. Fire STAB is hard to come by, and Fire/Fighting coverage is pretty fantastic. Sub is pretty much only used to get to Salac range. It has the added benefit of allowing Simisear to beat Kangaskhan and Skuntank, among other priority users, but that hardly ever happens because of how frail Simisear is. You also don't really get the chance to force many switches because Simisear needs to be cleaning late-game. There's frankly nothing "conservative" about it. And of course, cut the mention of Hidden Power Grass and add in a mention of Fire Blast.

Additional Comments: State that Simisear needs 4 HP EVs in order to activate Salac Berry after two Substitutes or one Substitute and one round of Stealth Rock damage. In the first point, get rid of "unlike the other sets." We don't compare sets at all. Simisear shouldn't be setting up on Garbodor because it usually carries Rock Blast, so cut that. Cut the point on Stealth Rock unless you can find other KOs it gets relevant to its other attacks. Your last point is really confusing and general. You should either cut it or clarify further what specific Pokemon you're trying to lure in because it sounds mostly like theorymon.

Punchshroom

Made the changes except for Scarf + Specs, because I don't know which set should be placed above the other and whatnot, not to mention their SC and AC would still look quite similiar in the end.

i would never want to use Overheat at all when I have Fire Blast, I don't think it should be on Simisear at all.

Also, why do we have Choice sets for Simisear? What does it do better than Charizard. I've tried choice Simisear, and most of the time I wish I had Charizard for the extra power and coverage.

Punchshroom

I believe it's for people who want their Fire-type sweeper to be able to operate under SR better (ChoiceZard cannot use Blaze and switch out to live another day for instance) which I've listed in the AC:
A spinner is not necessary but helpful in allowing Simisear to switch unimpeded; Wartortle is best used for this role due to its decent defensive synergy with Simisear and reliability in spinning with Foresight; however part of the reason of using Simisear over Charizard is so you have an easier time without using a spinner, otherwise Charizard is the optimal choice
...but I have no qualms about removing it if more QCs disapprove of it.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah I'm not too keen on the Choice sets either tbh. This analysis should focus on things that Simisear does 100% better than Charizard, and Choice sets unfortunately aren't one of them. I also think Nasty Plot should be the first listed set over the LO attacker, as it provides a cool niche that no other Fire-type can really do. The mixed set is cool in theory but I feel like it's too weak and that Superpower as a lure isn't enough to make it the first set.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Punchshroom

AC of the first set you say that Hidden Power Grass can be used to get rid of Grass-types, I believe you meant Water-types. You should also mention Grass Knot along side it.

Ac of the second set you should list what Pokemon hazards helps get the KO on or get rid of the mention.

In OO get rid of Recycle, there is almost 0 purpose to it. Also get rid of Gunk Shot as there is 0 reason to use it really. Rock Slide also doesn't belong in OO since you mentioned in AC of a set.

2/3 this is simple enough. Make sure not to disappoint Ogles with this, cause he loves himself some simisear ;D

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>With good Speed, power and offensive typing, Simisear has the makings of an effective and fabulous sweeper. It is fast enough to outrun prominent threats like Jynx, Haunter, Charizard, and Sawsbuck and has the movepool to nail most of them hard. To top it off, it has good mixed attacking stats as well as a decent movepool, not to mention it is totally fabulous...ahem. However, Simisear has a couple of traits that do cramp up its style. It is frail and has many exploitable weaknesses to Water, Ground, (AC) and Rock, all of which are common. Even though it has a less severe Stealth Rock weakness than Charizard, it still faces stiff competition with the "cliche dragon" due to the ape's lesser power, bulk and movepool, most notably having no healing move to offset any damage taken. Simisear does boasts the advantage of playing around Stealth Rock better than the other fast flaming brethren, Charizard and Rapidash, so if you want a Fire-type that has an easier time hopping in and out of battle while laying the hurt, give Simisear a try.</p>
Just fixed up a few GP-ish things there cos wynaut. The way you put "fabulous" into the Overview kinda interrupted the flow, so I moved it somewhere else. Also you mentioned its decent movepool twice so I removed the second mention.

Also you should mention NP in the Overview since it's one of the main selling points of Simisear, as well as better mixed attacking stats than other Fire-types.

[SET COMMENTS] (SubNP)
  • The name should probably be "Substitute + Nasty Plot" just cuz.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (SubNP)
  • Add spaces between the [AC] tag and the paragraphs.
  • On the mention of Gurdurr as a partner, mention it also shits on Lickilicky, which is nice for Simisear. The same for Sawk, and also say it can block SR too.
[SET COMMENTS] (Mixed)
  • All-Out Attacker, not All-out Attacker (capitalize the "O").
[Checks and Counters]
  • Give a mention to Gorebyss I guess, it takes piddly from Grass Knot and can outspeed after a Shell Smash.
Looks good Punchshroom , a lot of my edits were just formatting errors and such. Implement this stuff and I'll stamp. :)

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC Approved 3/3, except:
Nab a Nasty Plot + Salac Berry boost and sweep, an simple goal for a simian sweeper.
It's really not that "simple" a goal for Simisear, considering its frailty. Just reword to something like: "Like its fellow simians, Simisear aims to nab a boost from Nasty Plot and Salac Berry and sweep." Or something along those lines.

Amcheckin
Additions
Subtractions

Comments
[Overview]

<p>With good Speed, power,(AC) and offensive typing, Simisear has the makings of an effective and fabulous sweeper. It is fast enough to outrun prominent threats like Jynx, Haunter, Charizard, and Sawsbuck and has the movepool to nail most of them hard. To top it off, it has good mixed attacking stats as well as Nasty Plot, the latter of which allows it to stand out amongst the other Fire-types of NU. However, Simisear has a couple of traits that do cramp up its style. It is frail and has many exploitable weaknesses to Water, Ground, and Rock, all of which are common. Even though it has a less severe Stealth Rock weakness than Charizard, it still faces stiff competition from(competes 'with', faces competition 'from') with the "cliche dragon" due to the ape's lesser power, bulk and movepool, most notably having no healing move to offset any damage taken. Simisear does boasts the advantage of playing around Stealth Rock better than the other fast flaming(this part is really weirdly worded; I'd recommend rewording it) brethren, Charizard and Rapidash, so if you want a Fire-type that has an easier time hopping in and out of battle while laying the hurt, give Simisear a try.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Like its fellow simians, Simisear aims to nab a boost from Nasty Plot and Salac Berry and sweep. One of the only Fire-types that can use its STAB well enough for sweeping purposes, Simisear aims to raze down all in its path in one fell swoop. Nasty Plot is its boosting move of choice, a selling point Simisear has over Charizard, who which has no Special Attack-(add hyphen)boosting option. Substitute is used to force Simisear into Salac Berry range without taking too much damage, and has the benefit of dodging Sucker Punch and preventing priority from stopping Simisear in the midst of its sweep provided the Substitute remains intact beforehand. Focus Blast gets rid of pesky bulky Normal-types such as Licklicky, Audino and Thick Fat Miltank while maintaining good coverage with Fire Blast in general, as few opponents resist both Fire and Fighting. Flamethrower may can be used over Fire Blast so that a miss won't cost the sweep, but is less capable of OHKOing most foes after the +2 boost.(add period)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Having 4 HP EVs makes Simisear's max HP divisable divisible by 4 four, allowing Simisear to activate Salac Berry with 2 two uses of Substitute or 1 one this Substitute after Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Grass or Grass Knot can be used to get rid of Water-types, depending on whether you Simisear wants reliable damage against all Water-types like such as Gorebyss and Alomomola or slightly stronger hits on heavier Water-types like Samurott and Seismitoad, but aren't too useful outside of that and Fire + Grass is resisted by Fire-types and Dragon-types. Simisear becomes crazy strong after the boosts, but its poor defensive typing and defenses means attaining them won't be easy. Partners should be able to provide Simisear the optimal setup and sweeping conditions. Gardevoir and Serperior provides Ddual Sscreens support; Serperior also manhandles bothersome Water-types and also tends to lure in weaker Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Metang (without Earthquake) that Simisear could set up on, while Gardevoir can use Memento to further weaken the opponent's attacks and allow Simisear to switch in for free. Stealth Rock support can help to secure important KOes KOs, namely Charizard, Samurott, and Mandibuzz, among others. Golem or Seismitoad not only set up Stealth Rock, but also lure in Grass-types for Simisear to set up on while covering up Simisear's weaknesses.</p>

<p>Priority users can still stop its sweep; Gurdurr can deal with the majority of priority users (namely Kangaskhan and Skuntank) and can smash Lickilicky easily, while Seismitoad can absorb Aqua Jet from Samurott and Carracosta. Special walls are an issue since this Simisear isn't meant for wallbreaking; wallbreakers are recommended partners to help deal with them lest Simisear's sweep be shortened. Sawk is a prime wallbreaker and lures Misdreavus's Will-oO-Wisp which Simisear can switch into, whereas Eelektross provides a slow Volt Switch, a Ground-type switch-in, a Grass-type lure,(AC) and a wallbreaker with Superpower all in one. Simisear does not safely set up on very much, so Pokemon that can lure in Fire-weak Pokemon and have switching moves make great partners: U-turn Primeape, Baton Pass Sawsbuck and Volt Switch Eelektross are such examples.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Immediately powerful and threatening, there are few pokemon slower than mixed Simisear that can comfortably switch into it and take its attacks. This Simisear either punches holes into the opponent mid-game or cleans up late-game. STAB Fire Blast threatens a lot of pokemon such as Jynx, Tangela and Metang, and nets good coverage on the tier. Grass Knot trips up Water-types, Rock-types and Ground-types, such as Seismitoad, Golurk, Golem, and Carracosta. Superpower nails the Rock(space)/(space)Steel-(remove hyphen)types, Probopass and Bastiodon, as well as bulky Normal-types such as Lickilicky, Thick Fat Miltank,(AC) and Thick Fat Munchlax,(RC)(either remove this or add a comma after normal-types) hard. Hidden Power Rock easily KOes Charizard as well as threatening Torkoal and Rapidash, while not leaving Simisear totally helpless before Altaria, Mantine,(AC) and Flareon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Simisear's offensive potential, with the remaining not dropped into HP to be able to switch into Stealth Rock at most 4 four times if unscathed. Focus Blast could be used over Superpower, but Grass Knot is more useful and accurate against the majority of Rock-types while Superpower hits specially defensive Pokemon harder. Rock Slide could possibly be used over Hidden Power Rock, but Rock Slide only hits specially defensive Altaria and Flareon harder; Rock Slide can also miss, whereas HP Rock can guarantee a OHKO on Charizard and not do piddly against Torkoal. There may might be times where Grass Knot would not be sufficient in covering the majority of Water-types. Pokemon such as Serperior or Jynx can take advantage of said Water-types, while appreciating Simisear's hole punching capabilities to give themselves a chance to sweep. Electric-types can swiftly remove Water-types, Eelektross receiving special mention due to its slow Volt Switch bringing Simisear in safely or can break cores alongside Simisear. Stealth Rock setters that can cover the majority of Simisear's weaknesses, such as Seismitoad (Water + Rock) or Torterra (Ground + Rock), make for excellent partners.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Choiced sets can be used since Simisear has less issues with Stealth Rock than Charizard and has the stats for the job, but that is pretty much the only advantage Choiced Simisear has over Cchoiced Charizard, the latter of which is stronger, has more coverage,(AC) and is immune to other hazards. Substitute + Endeavor can be used to lure and defeat bulky Pokemon that it could not otherwise, but Charizard's Swords Dance set pulls this concept off much better, and doesn't have to nearly sacrifice itself doing so. Simisear has an expansive physical movepool in Fire Punch, Crunch, and Acrobatics, but Crunch is the only notable one since it can nail specially bulky Psychic-types like such as Grumpig, Hypno,(AC) and Gardevoir, while the rest are outclassed by its main options. Simisear can pull off a SunnyBeamer set, but Solar Power Charizard exists alongside it, stealing the spotlight once again. Simisear has some disruptive options in Taunt, Will-oO-Wisp, Amnesia, Yawn, Knock Off,(AC) and Covet, but is much too frail to make use of any of them.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Pokemon that resist Fire resists that and(while the rewording is weird, don't use resists as a noun) aren't weak to its stronger attacks, namely Thick Fat Grumpig, Mantine, Altaria, Dragonair, Flareon,(AC) and Thick Fat Munchlax,(since you added a comma after 'attacks') counter Simisear very well. Otherwise, Simisear can prove difficult to switch into, but is easy to revenge kill as its fraility frailty is easily taken advantage of. Faster Pokemon such as Swellow, Tauros, Kadabra,(AC) and Scolipede can usually dispatch Simisear quickly, but most of them cannot do so after Simisear consumes its Salac Berry. Even then, priority, most notably Aqua Jet from Carracosta or Samurott, easily dents Simisear, as well as Kangaskhan's Fake Out or Gurdurr's Mach Punch, but take note that Simisear resists Ice Shard and Bullet Punch whereas Sucker Punch may can be countered with a Substitute. Almost any Choice Scarfer Pokemon can put the pressure on Simisear since their attacks tend to do a lot of damage to it. Sometimes it can be as simple as surviving Simisear's attack, then retaliatinge for usually significant damage. For example, Gorebyss and Alomomola do not take too much from Grass Knot, can survive unboosted Hidden Power Grass and hits back hard with Water STAB. Most Water-types, especially the heavier ones, make risky responses to Simisear, but otherwise most can take a Grass Knot or Hidden Power Grass and KO back; Pokemon like Regirock and Piloswine also fall into this category. Simisear despises status, especially paralysis, so bulky Pokemon such as Body Slam Lickilicky, Munchlax or Miltank,(AC) and Thunder Wave Musharna can stop Simisear.</p>

I'd recommend checking the spelling and grammar standards ^_^

Last edited:

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check Punchshroom
Add
Remove
Comments

[Overview]

<p>With good Speed, power, and offensive typing, Simisear has the makings of an effective and fabulous sweeper. It is fast enough to outrun prominent threats like such as Jynx, Haunter, Charizard, and Sawsbuck and has the movepool to nail most of them hard. To top it off, it has good mixed attacking stats as well as Nasty Plot, the latter of which allows it to stand out amongst the other Fire-types of NU. However, Simisear has a couple of traits that do cramp up its style. It is frail and has many exploitable weaknesses to Water, Ground, and Rock, all of which are common. Even though it has a less severe Stealth Rock weakness than Charizard, it still faces stiff competition from the "cliche (I don't know the HTML for it, but it should be "cliché") dragon" due to the ape's lesser power, bulk,(AC) and movepool, most notably having no healing move to offset any damage taken. Simisear does boasts boast the advantage of playing around Stealth Rock better than the its fellow fast Fire-types, Charizard and Rapidash, so if you want a Fire-type that has an easier time hopping in and out of battle while laying the hurt, give Simisear a try.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Like its fellow simians, Simisear aims to nab a boost from Nasty Plot and Salac Berry and sweep. One of the only Fire-types that can use its STAB well enough for sweeping purposes, Simisear aims to raze down all in its path in one fell swoop. Nasty Plot is its boosting move of choice, a selling point Simisear has over Charizard, which has no Special Attack-boosting option. Substitute is used to force Simisear into Salac Berry range without taking too much damage, and has the benefit of dodging Sucker Punch and preventing priority from stopping Simisear in the midst of its sweep,(AC) provided the Substitute remains intact beforehand. Focus Blast gets rid of pesky bulky Normal-types such as Licklicky, Audino,(AC) and Thick Fat Miltank while maintaining good coverage with Fire Blast in general, as few opponents resist both Fire and Fighting. Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast so that a miss won't cost the sweep, but is less capable of OHKOing most foes after the +2 boost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Having 4 HP EVs makes Simisear's max HP divisible by four, allowing Simisear it to activate Salac Berry with two uses of Substitute or one Substitute after Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Grass or Grass Knot can be used to get rid of Water-types, depending on whether Simisear wants reliable damage against all Water-types like Gorebyss and Alomomola or slightly stronger hits on heavier Water-types like Samurott and Seismitoad, but aren't too useful outside of that and Fire + Grass is resisted by Fire-types and Dragon-types. Simisear becomes crazy strong after the boosts, but its poor defensive typing and defenses means attaining them won't be easy. Partners should be able to provide Simisear the optimal setup and sweeping conditions. Gardevoir and Serperior provide dual Screens screens support; Serperior also manhandles bothersome Water-types and also tends to lure in weaker Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Metang (without Earthquake) that Simisear could set up on, while Gardevoir can use Memento to further weaken the opponent's attacks and allow Simisear to switch in for free. Stealth Rock support can help to secure important KOs, namely on Charizard, Samurott, and Mandibuzz, among others. Golem or Seismitoad not only set up Stealth Rock, but also lure in Grass-types for Simisear to set up on while covering up Simisear's weaknesses.</p>

<p>Priority users can still stop its Simisear's sweep; Gurdurr can deal with the majority of priority users (namely Kangaskhan and Skuntank) and can smash Lickilicky easily, while Seismitoad can absorb Aqua Jet from Samurott and Carracosta. Special walls are an issue since this Simisear isn't meant for wallbreaking; wallbreakers are recommended partners to help deal with them lest Simisear's sweep be shortened. Sawk is a prime wallbreaker and lures Misdreavus's Will-O-Wisp,(AC) which Simisear can switch into, whereas Eelektross provides a slow Volt Switch, a Ground-type switch-in, a Grass-type lure, can switch into Ground-types, lures in Grass-types, and is a wallbreaker with Superpower all in one (The sentence was really confusing before, as I had to carefully read it twice to understand it). Simisear does not safely set up on very much, so Pokemon that can lure in Fire-weak Pokemon and have switching moves make great partners: U-turn Primeape, Baton Pass Sawsbuck,(AC) and Volt Switch Eelektross are such examples.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Immediately powerful and threatening, there are few pokemon Pokemon slower than mixed Simisear that can comfortably switch into it and take its attacks. This Simisear either punches holes into the opponent mid-game or cleans up late-game. STAB Fire Blast threatens a lot of pokemon Pokemon such as Jynx, Tangela,(AC) and Metang, and nets good coverage on the tier. Grass Knot trips up Water-types, Rock-types,(AC) and Ground-types, such as Seismitoad, Golurk, Golem, and Carracosta. Superpower nails the Rock / Steel-types Steel types, Probopass and Bastiodon, as well as bulky Normal-types such as Lickilicky, Thick Fat Miltank,(AC) and Thick Fat Munchlax, hard. Hidden Power Rock easily KOes Charizard as well as threatening and threatens Torkoal and Rapidash, while not leaving Simisear totally helpless before against Altaria, Mantine,(AC) and Flareon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes offensive potential, with the remaining not dropped into HP to be able to switch into Stealth Rock at most 4 times if unscathed (does this part really need to be mentioned, and if you decide against mentioning it, scratch the beginning of the sentence as well). Focus Blast could be used over Superpower, but Grass Knot is more useful and accurate against the majority of Rock-types while Superpower hits specially defensive Pokemon harder. Rock Slide could possibly be used over Hidden Power Rock, but Rock Slide only hits specially defensive Altaria and Flareon harder; Rock Slide can also miss, whereas HP Hidden Power Rock can guarantee a an OHKO on Charizard and not do piddly against Torkoal. There maybe times where Grass Knot would not be sufficient in covering the majority of Water-types. Pokemon such as Serperior or Jynx can take advantage of said Water-types, while appreciating Simisear's hole punching capabilities to give themselves a chance to sweep. Electric-types can swiftly remove Water-types, Eelektross receiving a special mention due to its slow Volt Switch bringing Simisear in safely or can break cores and making a solid wallbreaking core alongside Simisear. Stealth Rock setters that can cover the majority of Simisear's weaknesses, such as Seismitoad (Water + Rock) or Torterra (Ground + Rock), make for excellent partners.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Choiced sets can be used since Simisear has less issues with Stealth Rock than Charizard and has the stats for the job, but that is pretty much the only advantage choiced Choiced Simisear has over Choice Choiced Charizard, the latter of which is stronger, has more coverage, and is immune to other hazards. Substitute + Endeavor can be used to lure and defeat bulky Pokemon that it could not otherwise, but Charizard's Swords Dance set pulls this concept off much better, and doesn't have to nearly sacrifice itself doing so. Simisear has an expansive physical movepool in Fire Punch, Crunch, and Acrobatics, but Crunch is the only notable one since it can nail specially bulky Psychic-types such as Grumpig, Hypno, and Gardevoir, while the rest are outclassed by its main options. Simisear can pull off a SunnyBeamer SunnyBeam set, but Solar Power Charizard exists alongside it, stealing the spotlight once again. Simisear has some disruptive options in Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, Amnesia, Yawn, Knock Off, and Covet, but is much too frail to make use of any of them.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Pokemon that resist Fire and aren't weak to its stronger attacks, namely Thick Fat Grumpig, Mantine, Altaria, Dragonair, Flareon, and Thick Fat Munchlax counter Simisear very well. Otherwise, Simisear can prove difficult to switch into, but is easy to revenge kill as its frailty is easily taken advantage of. Faster Pokemon such as Swellow, Tauros, Kadabra, and Scolipede can usually dispatch Simisear quickly, but most of them cannot do so after Simisear consumes its Salac Berry. Even then, priority, most notably Aqua Jet from Carracosta or Samurott, easily dents Simisear, as well as Kangaskhan's Fake Out or Gurdurr's Mach Punch, but take do note that Simisear resists Ice Shard and Bullet Punch whereas Sucker Punch can be countered with a Substitute. Almost any Choice Scarf Pokemon can put the pressure on Simisear since their attacks tend to do a lot of damage to it. Sometimes it can be as simple as surviving Simisear's attack, then retaliating for usually significant damage. For example, Gorebyss and Alomomola do not take too much from Grass Knot, can survive unboosted Hidden Power Grass,(AC) and hits hit back hard with Water STAB. Most Water-types, especially the heavier ones, make risky responses to Simisear, but otherwise most can take a Grass Knot or Hidden Power Grass and KO back; Pokemon like Regirock and Piloswine also fall into this category. Simisear despises status, especially paralysis, so bulky Pokemon such as Body Slam Lickilicky, Munchlax or Miltank, and Thunder Wave Musharna can stop Simisear.</p>

Great job Punchshroom, just remember that Smogon uses serial commas (the ones you put before "and" at the end of a list).

GP Approved 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)