Simple Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.
So then what happens when your opponent out predicts you and sends in Salamence/Garchomp/Ulgamoth. This move seems way to situational to be very useful and could cost you.

So then what happens when your opponent out predicts you and sends in Salamence/Garchomp/Ulgamoth. This move seems way to situational to be very useful and could cost you.
For one thing, that could be considered for any move. But I agree that it seems VERY situational in singles- almost too risky to be worth it. It's true use seems to be in doubles and triples (not rotation).

And plus, breloom was not a good example.

He has spored one of your team members, gotten behind a sub on the switch. You've sacrificed a pokemon to get rid of his sub (by him focus punching you). You get the opportunity to switch in something fast to do something about him. You simple beam him? He hides behind a sub, and you start all over again.

Single Best user of the move:

Linoone: @ Toxic Orb
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Def
Adamant
QUICK FEET

Protect
Simple Beam
Facade
Night Slash / Filler

This allows you to be fast, hit fairly hard by merit of Facade (STAB), and aid an ally in Multi-battles. Protect activates Orb easily, while scouting for Priority moves.

How does this work with Ditto? Let's say in a double battle your opponent has a stat boosting pokemon and you switch Ditto with eccentric in to transform into it (how does eccentric work in multi-battles anyway?) and then use Simple Beam on Ditto, I'm assuming Ditto will be that opposing pokemon with simple as their ability. But will the stat boosts be doubled? Would Ditto transformed from a +1/+1 Gyarados become +2/+2? Because then this move could be a really viable way of using Ditto in multi-battles without having to restrict yourself to choice scarf to avoid speed ties.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm saying the two of the best (not the only, just some of the best) targets are garchomp and manaphy. Each with a stab field hit move and get to +4 (chomp) and +6 (manaphy) after SD and TG respectivly. Triples could be oo-something-or-another with telepathy, wide guarder with a resistence to the field move and coverage moves, and chomp and manaphy. That would be a terrifying combo.

It has been stated to some extent, but the primary targets of Simple Beam are going to be pokemon with lackluster abilities, or abilities that only matter for the first turn. Examples.....

Slaking = demon bulk up beast, add slackoff and you have a pokemon with great bulk, a buff, and a heal to let him use it twice to rule the world. If you want to be mean add amnesia for a defensive monster

Archaeops (or however it's spelled) = DOES NOT HAVE DEFEATEST :D even if it doesnt get any/many boost moves, losing defeatest is worth it.

Any slow pokemon with sturdy. Opponent goes first, tries to take out both pokemon, aiming for your simple beam target with a super effective move, sturdy kicks in, it lives, gets simpled, takes its boost, chuckles at the end result next turn depending on what boost it used.

Any pokemon with switch in moves like Indimidate, Drizzle, Sand Storm, Drought and the like.

My final and favorite options are any pokemon using a multi booster, preferrably Dragon Dance, Quiver Dance, and Shell Smash.

I quite enjoy this combo with Crustle because of his move pool... double power shell smash with Rock Wrecker and x scissor stab with possible additions of night slash, earthquake or aerial ace for some decent coverage. Even Carracosta with 30 base speed could shoot up to as much as 537 speed, which is more than respectable.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Simple Beam doesn't work on a target with Truant, so it's a no-go for Slaking unless you use Skill Swap to remove Truant first. That's too much setup for too little return, in my opinion, especially when you've got monsters like Latios and Garchomp running around. They're overpowered with zero turns of setup.

The rest could work, but remember that Simple now doubles the boosts as they happen, rather than retroactively. So you need to get Simple onto the target before it starts buffing.

Very true... however the 2 main candidates of Simple Beam that I like are Linoone and ,when it comes out, Genesect. Both sport 100/99 speed, so go with speed favouring natures and watch the fun.

In this case as well it's sad that Genesect isn't out yet and personally I can't wait... I have a rather deep fondness for bug types since Gen 1 when they were terrible. I still love the fact that I managed to beat the elite four using Scyther, Pinsir, Venomoth, Butterfre, Beedrill, and Parasect way back when... ahh the lulz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)