Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
genesect strongth. if you want a more detailed discussion of why, the np round 8 thread is a good place to look. as for duggy, dugtrio isn't strong, so much as it flourishes in this metagame. things like genesect and tornadus-T have relatively few hard counters, most of which can be trapped by duggy (eg heatran, jirachi - although duggy does not have an easy time beating a bulky jirachi).

honestly though that method of building teams works okay. take a look at the ou viability thread for an idea of what the strongest mons in this meta are, if you need some more direction.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
How does getting a warning from a Moderator work?
You'll get a PM from the moderator notifying you and explaining what you did wrong, and the offending post will be marked with a
unless it was deleted (or if the offense wasn't related to a specific post). You can find more details here.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been looking around quite a bit, and since no one uses Bronzong too often and the analysis is a little outdated, I thought someone here could help me.

I'm looking for the best spread for a Specially Defensive Bronzong. Most people just flat out say to use 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Sassy Nature. Is this the best set for Bronzong in OU if he wishes to go the more specially defensive route? On my team, he is the only steel type, and he this is his move set

- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- HP Ice
- Earthquake

I feel like I should have investment in other of his stats like Attack, a little defense for Outrages, but all around great SpD. What do you guys think? My team doesn't have a dedicated special wall yet, however it does have a Celebi as a Physically Defensive pivot.

on a sun team should i replace my latias with a cresslia? i'm having trouble with landorus (nothing to take a earthquake and u-turn will rape me) and I think cress deals with keldeo just fine like latias

Well Latias is used more as a bulky poke that brings some needed coverage to sun teams, while Cresselia is used as a Physical wall that can take hits all day and be annoying, they serve somewhat of a different role in my opinion, so it would depend on the rest of your team. Also you're talking about physical Landorus? I rarely see people use him.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Without seeing the whole team it's impossible to give an accurate opinion. Cresselia is awesome on Sun teams, however if it's caught outside Sun by Water type attacks, like Rain Hydro Pump, it will crumble much faster than Latias, so I suggest being quite careful in doing such a substitution. Indeed, if you already have something reliable to take Water and Fire attacks and have troubles with any physical attacks, then you can think about Cresselia.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm looking for the best spread for a Specially Defensive Bronzong.
honestly it all depends on how you play the zong. you have to remember that bronzong has no recovery. it gets worn down fast in the long game and every hit it takes counts; therefore every point of damage will matter. if your team has other solutions to outraging dragons it's better to keep the maximum investment in sdef so that you can eat tornadus-T hurricanes repeatedly without suffering serious consequences on your third or so switch in (ie being within superpower range).

ultimately bronzong can be EVd a million different ways but just remember that it's a very easy mon to wear down and overwhelm. i tend to not put any EVs in attack for this reason.

First the question easy to answer: Nope, bulky Rotom is far too slow to sweep in OU, so Charge Beam does no good outside some gimmick sets.

Firstly, because of its water weakness Rotom-H has some difficulties in a tier with Politoed running around - unlike its fellow Rotom-W. It need 226 EVs in speed in order to outspeed Politoed without a scarf. Disregarding Politoed, you don't have to care about Scizor that much though, because of your resistance to Bug type moves. That allows you to underscore Rotom-W a bit. It's important that you outspeed Gliscor though; the substitute set otherwise make use of the side effect of Overheat, at least when you don't have HP Ice. Usually Gliscor put themselves over Tyranitar, on 244. Speaking about speed creep, Rotom-H should have at least 148 speed, but more in general.

Conclusion:

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitation
EVs: 192 HP / 168 SAtk / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Hidden Power Ice

Note that this set creeps over 72 Spe Gliscor. When you decide to run a faster Rotom, you should not move the EVs form your HP because they are neccessary to survive Tornados-T's Hurricane twice. Take points from the SAtk!

I was just wondering if there is anyone who wants to rate the team in my sig. I have received a lot of good help and would like to have more people look at it to point out any other problems they see.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
drain punch is a primary effect like recoil so it will not get boosted. Flare Blitz from Darmanitan cancels out the secondary effect of burn, but the recoil still goes through. I think Drain Punch/Giga Drain work similarly.

As said, the life-drain effect is a primary effect so the move is not boosted by Sheer Force (and the effect not cancelled).
I may forget something, but generally speaking the effect removed to boost the move power are: inflict a status, lower enemy stat, flinch.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As said, the life-drain effect is a primary effect so the move is not boosted by Sheer Force (and the effect not cancelled).
I may forget something, but generally speaking the effect removed to boost the move power are: inflict a status, lower enemy stat, flinch.
You can find all moves that are affected here.
Life Orb Sheer Force Drain Punch.
The Damage boosts will apply, but the drain effect is still on right?
You would get the boost from Life Orb, but not the boost from Sheer Force. You would also still take recoil from the Life Orb, because that's only negated when Sheer Force affects the move.

Few questions about mechanics:

1. If I use a binding move (Fire Spin, Magma Storm, Bind etc.) and I switch out, will the "trapping" effect still be present?
eg. My Heatran uses Magma Storm on a Politoed and then switches to Ninetales, can the Politoed switch now?

2. When doing Gyro Ball damage calculations, do you round the number before it's multiplied by 25?
eg. Forretress's Gyro Ball against max speed Terrakion is 346/76=4.552... Now do you round the number and then multiply it or times it straight by 25?

Thanks!

1. Switching out cancels the trapping. An unnessecary change from the 4th gen if you ask me.
2. The Damage Calculators assume that you round down after the multiplication. I need a bit help in this becaue I don't have enough data - no Terrakion at hand:

a) Rounded after multiplication: 242 - 288 damage
b) Rounded before multiplication: 218 - 258 damage

Somebody should check that.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
1) yes he can

2) You meant Ferrothorn I guess, in your case the base power of Gyro Ball would be 113.
So I guess they don't round it but in the end.

1. Switching out cancels the trapping. An unnessecary change from the 4th gen if you ask me.
2. The Damage Calculators assume that you round down after the multiplication. I need a bit help in this becaue I don't have enough data - no Terrakion at hand:

a) Rounded after multiplication: 242 - 288 damage
b) Rounded before multiplication: 218 - 258 damage

Somebody should check that.
1- These moves work in the same manner since GSC. So, in all generations(but RBY in which they worked in a different manner and allows switching the target) switching out the user cancels the trapping.

Does an Impish Latias have any practical uses? Just checked the IVs on mine and they're decent. :(

27/17/22/19/14/31

ToxiStall perhaps?

No, an Impish Latias is not viable. If you tried to use it as a Toxic staller it would be outclassed and it would really fall flat with any normal Latias set

Any ideas for building a team around Dragonite and Magnezone?
DragMag. The original idea was to use a bunch of Choice Dragons spamming Outrage and Magnezone as a trapper to switch out from Steels and kill them. You can look in the RMT forum and see how DragMag has evolved since then. Other trappers you can use include Dugtrio, Gothitelle, and Magneton. Other Pokémon like Mamoswine often fit into these teams well too

When a Pokémon uses the move, Foresight, on a Ghost-Type let alone any Pokémon in general, does the effect last throughout the entire battle, or does the effect go away once either Pokémon switches out?

When a Pokémon uses the move, Foresight, on a Ghost-Type let alone any Pokémon in general, does the effect last throughout the entire battle, or does the effect go away once either Pokémon switches out?
the effect of Foresight disappears once the target is switched out.

From the description on smogon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)