Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.
But in RMT, it is required you test your team before posting. Does that mean I only need to say "I tested it" and not provide the answer to what threatens me?

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Well when you test it, you should get a good idea of what threatens you, right? Just pay attention to the matches that are tough/that you lose. For instance, when you got swept, what opposing team member facilitated that sweep? Or when you got stalled out (eg Toxic, Hazards, etc.) what opposing team member was able to wall you that hard? Obviously, when you post an RMT, you should have tested it beforehand, and as far as providing threats go, you should post the pokemon that give your team trouble. Obviously, you're not going to know ALL of them; something's bound to catch you off guard, so just post as much as you can so readers can get a better idea of what your team is like.

As suggested before, save the matches that you lose (in order to gain newer perspective on your team) if you simply could not get past an opposing pokemon. If you were simply outplayed or haxed, then obviously, that specific match doesn't matter as much.

Edit: KK! GOOD LUCK! :)

Oh, I have another question. When making a team, how do you go about choosing a Pokemon to base your team around? How do you go about choosing teammates for that Pokemon you want to base your team around?

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Oh, I have another question. When making a team, how do you go about choosing a Pokemon to base your team around? How do you go about choosing teammates for that Pokemon you want to base your team around?
For choosing the pokemon to base your team around, really just pick any decently powerful pokemon that you like, be it Lucario, Keldeo, Venusaur, really anyone that can facilitate a sweep. As long as you don't pick a crapmon, you'll be fine. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though.) Next, when it comes down to choosing teammates, first pick basic team supporters. For instance, did you pick a weather-reliant pokemon? Better add in the corresponding weather starter then. Also, find a decent hazards setter (Stealth Rock really is a must). OK, prerequisites down, time to focus on your chosen pokemon. First, obviously, choose a moveset and determine what it has trouble with. For instance, if you like Breloom, it typically has trouble with Celebi, Dragonite, Latias, Gengar, etc. Therefore, try to pick a pokemon that can deal with the aforementioned threats (eg Mamoswine). Have a balance of physical attackers and special attackers too. For instance, if you like Alakazam, chances are you won't get past Blissey, so carry a powerful physical attacker like Terrakion. Take note of the biggest threats in the OU metagame (eg Keldeo) and make sure you have some way of checking/playing around the majority of them, (eg Jellicent for Keldeo). A big thing to consider as well is defensive synergy, as it's best if you can cover ALL your weaknesses by choosing different teammates, and in this metagame, make sure you have a few decent Water resists too (eg combining Jellicent with Ferrothorn). Well... that's all I can think of as of the moment, but obviously, I've probably skipped over big things so someone can come in a finish this (and correct any mistakes I may have made).

If you use gravity in doubles will your partner get to use it's effect during that same turn it's used or does it work like tailwind where the effect doesn't work until the next turn.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you use gravity in doubles will your partner get to use it's effect during that same turn it's used or does it work like tailwind where the effect doesn't work until the next turn.
This should probably go in the VGC or Smogon Doubles thread, but I'll answer it anyway. It comes into effect immediately; the only effects that don't happen right away are ones that change speed.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Hello fire r a g e ! :)

When making a team people are different when it comes to what they choose, and what playstyle they are going to play, so I will tell you how I do it when im making teams and hopefully you get an better view on how to base you're team around one pokemon.

Ok, so first off im checking the tier im going to play in so I can find a pokemon which I find interresting, often im searching for an setup sweeper or an strong late game cleaner. So to find out how you should build a team around it is to find it's weaknesses what counter's that pokemon and what can possibly be a good teammate for that exact pokemon.

Here is an example: If I choose to use Keldeo then I have to find out which pokemon that benefits Keldeo the best. So pokemon like Politoed, Breloom and Tyranitar is great pokemon's to have with Keldeo as they can provide him with Rain support, trap and kill his counters (Which in this case is mainly Psychic types, Water type and bulky Grass types). When looking at defensive synergizing, you have to look on Keldeo's weaknesses (Which is Electric, Grass, Psychic and Flying) and which pokemon that can safely be a good switch-in if Keldeo is forced out, pokemon like Celebi, Jirachi and Tyranitar makes great support as they can setup Stealth Rock, use status to help Keldeo out, and trap annoying pokemon like I said above. So this is basically what I do, you have to find out a lot off information for that pokemon, and then fit you're team around it.

Here are som links that might help you with teambuilding as well:

Smogon Tiers

OU Teambuilding

This last one is basically helpfull for a lot of things, and I also think it can answer other people's questions so I realy recommend reading this.

Smogon Articles

So I hope I helped, and good luck with you're future teambuilding !

So far, this is what I got.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Nature: Timid
Moves:
Focus Blast
Destiny Bond
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

Scarfgar is a very surprising threat that can catch many people off guard. With 110 Base Speed, you'd think it is blazing fast, but Scarf allows it to be even more breakneck in Speed. It is faster than Scarfkion and Scarfdeo and has a way of dealing with them both in Thunderbolt and Focus Blast (Scarfdeo and Scarfkion, respectively). Destiny Bond is the main attraction of the set. It allows it to "revenge" kill (true revenge killing IMO, :b) Tyranitar and Scizor, two of its top counters. It also helps me win the weather war against Politoed and Ninetales AND Tyranitar, although Hydreigon, his teammate who forms a great attacking duo with, can OHKO with Superpower (it helps when Hydreigon isn't around, as I will save Gengar for near the end to set up my win condition). Shadow Ball has STAB and outspeed and kills all Psychic types that dare come in on it. I put 4 SpD EVs to lessen SR damage. Thunderbolt also OHKOes Skarmory after SR damage most of the time. Scarf is the item of choice so I can outspeed Pokemon that think I am maxed at 350 Speed (like Tornadus).

Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Nature: Mild
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Superpower
Fire Blast
Earthquake/Substitute

Meet the triple headed mite of doomsday, (meaning, he preys on walls such as Heatran, Skarmory, Forretress, and the Pink Blobs) Hydreigon. This Pokemon is known for its vicious nature, but alas, it is one of the most underrated threats due to its middling Speed stat. Nevertheless, with Paralysis support, it can be a real menace. Draco Meteor is the STAB of choice, 2HKOing almost everything in the metagame. Pokemon not totally mowed by this gargantuan power move are eliminated with its wide coverage. Blissey can survive Draco Meteor and so can Chansey and many Steel types. This is where Superpower comes in. It KOes those Steel types and the aforementioned pink blobs (Chansey needs prior damage however and Heatran needs EQ). Substitute allows me to take leech seeds all day and OHKO Ferrothorn with Fire Blast (2HKO in Rain). Fire Blast scorches Scizor and Forretress as well. I could use EQ to OHKO Heatran and 2HKO SpD Jirachi, but Substitute really helps from being stalled out, since Gengar isnt with its Substitute.

Any ideas on other teammates for him? Thanks!

Ghost+Dark is a dream team for defensive synergy.
Ferrothorn would be a good teammate. It can help against dragons and lay down the hazards to make more of those 1-2hkos happen for the other guys.

Hmm, I never thought about Ferrothorn. However, I was planning on having offensive Pokemon in my team. Defense is not really my thing, but neither is Hyper Offense. I am mostly a standard offensive type of guy. I will still consider him due to his synergy with the two teammates, his ability to set up Spikes, SR, Leech Seed, and T Wave to help Hydreigon sweep.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
If you plan to use ferrothorn, which I think would work well on that team, I could see Starmie being a good fit as well. Not only does it provide rapid spin support but with a Life Orb it will be able to keep up the offensive pressure you are looking for. Also, it's weaknesses (electric, bug, dark, ghost, and grass) are all resisted by at least one of your other teammates.

I guess one defensive pokemon can't hurt. I was thinking this set for Ferrothorn...

Ferrothorn@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpD
Nature: Impish
Moves:
Spikes
Leech Seed
Thunder Wave
Power Whip

Since I have Hydreigon to break down the Dragons, I don't see a need to use Gyro Ball, as it is counterproductive with T Wave anyway. EVs are standard, so max HP gives it greater overall bulk, 88 Def EVs allows it to always survive two CB Haxorus +1 Earthquakes. Thunder Wave really helps with Hydreigon's middling speed, allowing it to more effectively wallbreak. Leech Seed is for recovery and Power Whip is to check bulky waters.

Item clause

I'm VERY new to competitive battling and the like, but I think I have a pretty good grasp of most of the rules here on smogon. There is one that confuses me however: the ITEM CLAUSE!

I understand that this rule is (probably) religiously followed in official tournaments and the like, but what about in the battle finder?

If I battle someone using the battle finder, do I ask if we will follow it for that particular battle, or just assume that it will be?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm VERY new to competitive battling and the like, but I think I have a pretty good grasp of most of the rules here on smogon. There is one that confuses me however: the ITEM CLAUSE!

I understand that this rule is (probably) religiously followed in official tournaments and the like, but what about in the battle finder?

If I battle someone using the battle finder, do I ask if we will follow it for that particular battle, or just assume that it will be?
Smogon doesn't follow this rule in the standard metagame, so you don't really have to worry about it. The only time the item clause is in effect is during VGC matches, and those are only doubles.

What's a good Ninjask counter/check that isn't dead weight on a Hyper Offense team?

So many people think it's funny to use him even in the mid-upper ladder. It's a shit pokemon but my own HO team is so weak to it.

Ehh.... A decent Ninjask check/counter would be cloyster I guess?
I can't exactly think of anything much other than that lol sorry.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
What's a good Ninjask counter/check that isn't dead weight on a Hyper Offense team?

So many people think it's funny to use him even in the mid-upper ladder. It's a shit pokemon but my own HO team is so weak to it.
Something that can taunt or use haze or whirlwind or roar or encore or perish song.

Usually ninjask is used on BP teams. This teams have protection against roar / whirlwind (magic bounce or ingrain), protection against taunt (magic bounce) and protection against perish song (soundproof pokemons like mr. mime) but there BP teams can't do anything against haze users such as politoed, cofragigus, etc.

blitzlefan

shake it off!

Ninjask? Ninjask typically collects Speed Boosts and then Baton Passes, right? So just carry a good phazer like Hippowdon or Kyurem-B and you're in the clear. If you want to go Hyper Offense, just carry a pokemon that can boost alongside Ninjask. For example, Dragonite should do well. Ninjask can Protect stall or whatever all it likes while Dragonite Dragon Dances and then murders whatever comes in with Outrage or ExtremeSpeed. Furthermore, priority moves which bypass speed boosts (eg Mamoswine's Ice Shard) take down Ninjask as well. Lastly, just hitting the Baton Pass recipient with a powerful move on the switch in should neuter the threat.

Ninjask? Ninjask typically collects Speed Boosts and then Baton Passes, right? So just carry a good phazer like Hippowdon or Kyurem-B and you're in the clear. If you want to go Hyper Offense, just carry a pokemon that can boost alongside Ninjask. For example, Dragonite should do well. Ninjask can Protect stall or whatever all it likes while Dragonite Dragon Dances and then murders whatever comes in with Outrage or ExtremeSpeed. Furthermore, priority moves which bypass speed boosts (eg Mamoswine's Ice Shard) take down Ninjask as well. Lastly, just hitting the Baton Pass recipient with a powerful move on the switch in should neuter the threat.
thank you

Ok, so I have:

So far, this is what I got.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Moves:
Focus Blast
Destiny Bond
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

Scarfgar is a very surprising threat that can catch many people off guard. With 110 Base Speed, you'd think it is blazing fast, but Scarf allows it to be even more breakneck in Speed. It is faster than Scarfkion and Scarfdeo and has a way of dealing with them both in Thunderbolt and Focus Blast (Scarfdeo and Scarfkion, respectively). Destiny Bond is the main attraction of the set. It allows it to "revenge" kill (true revenge killing IMO, :b) Tyranitar and Scizor, two of its top counters. It also helps me win the weather war against Politoed and Ninetales AND Tyranitar, although Hydreigon, his teammate who forms a great attacking duo with, can OHKO with Superpower (it helps when Hydreigon isn't around, as I will save Gengar for near the end to set up my win condition). Shadow Ball has STAB and outspeed and kills all Psychic types that dare come in on it. I put 4 SpD EVs to lessen SR damage. Thunderbolt also OHKOes Skarmory after SR damage most of the time. Scarf is the item of choice so I can outspeed Pokemon that think I am maxed at 350 Speed (like Tornadus).

Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Nature: Mild
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Superpower
Fire Blast
Earthquake/Substitute

Meet the triple headed mite of doomsday, (meaning, he preys on walls such as Heatran, Skarmory, Forretress, and the Pink Blobs) Hydreigon. This Pokemon is known for its vicious nature, but alas, it is one of the most underrated threats due to its middling Speed stat. Nevertheless, with Paralysis support, it can be a real menace. Draco Meteor is the STAB of choice, 2HKOing almost everything in the metagame. Pokemon not totally mowed by this gargantuan power move are eliminated with its wide coverage. Blissey can survive Draco Meteor and so can Chansey and many Steel types. This is where Superpower comes in. It KOes those Steel types and the aforementioned pink blobs (Chansey needs prior damage however and Heatran needs EQ). Substitute allows me to take leech seeds all day and OHKO Ferrothorn with Fire Blast (2HKO in Rain). Fire Blast scorches Scizor and Forretress as well. I could use EQ to OHKO Heatran and 2HKO SpD Jirachi, but Substitute really helps from being stalled out, since Gengar isnt with its Substitute.

Ferrothorn@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpD
Nature: Impish
Moves:
Spikes
Leech Seed
Thunder Wave
Power Whip

Since I have Hydreigon to break down the Dragons, I don't see a need to use Gyro Ball, as it is counterproductive with T Wave anyway. EVs are standard, so max HP gives it greater overall bulk, 88 Def EVs allows it to always survive two CB Haxorus +1 Earthquakes. Thunder Wave really helps with Hydreigon's middling speed, allowing it to more effectively wallbreak. Leech Seed is for recovery and Power Whip is to check bulky waters.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Moves:
Surf
Ice Beam
T-Bolt
Rapid Spin

He's the spinner of my team. I prefer Surf > Hydro Pump due to the accuracy and I'd rather not miss at a crucial time. Ice Beam maims dragon types such at Latios and Latias, Salamence, DNite (after Multiscale), etc. T-Bolt is for bulky waters who resist the other 2 moves on Starmie and Skarmory, who is promptly 2HKOed. Rapid Spin clears the field of hazards (obviously). I chose to put 4 SpD for LO recoil at min.

For my next Pokemon, I was thinking a FWG core completer like Infernape, ideas?

So, what's a decent score on PO, anyways? Top of the ladder is usually around 2000+, but I dunno if there's any way how to tell if I'm actually decent, or if I'm pretty good, or if I need work.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Smogon doesn't support PO, but the top players on PS have around 1900-2200 ACRE (depending on the ladder).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)