Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread (FAQ in first post, read before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Is there a possibility of opening a meta for Contests/already one in existence?

I've seen someone bring it up in the past, and now that ORAS is here, it could be a thing...
Considering Wifi Contests are not a thing, no. I would guess that Smogon does not endorse Contests because there is little interest in them. Not compared to battling.

I've had it pointed out to me it could work, but I stand by what I said. I do not think there is much to go on in a contest to make it worth it.

EDIT: By which I mean, if you want to go ahead and code some sort of Contest Sim, you go for it.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there a possibility of opening a meta for Contests/already one in existence?

I've seen someone bring it up in the past, and now that ORAS is here, it could be a thing...
There's the Contest Spectacular Discussion thread to at least talk about it. It's a little inactive but maybe you could spark some discussion and get it going again. I know I'll be getting involved with it more after I get through the story on my second playthrough and have more time for it! Contests are fun ^_^

What happens if I press run during the Deoxys battle in space? Does the plot carry on as usual and I can rebattle it at the sky pillar afterwards?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is the fastest, least annoying and most reliable way to obtain the TMs that are only available through Mirage Spots?
Nope, you just have to keep trying every day to see if the one you need pops up. Don't bother trying to change your DS's clock either as that stops all time based events from occurring for 24 hours. You can gain access to islands from other players through StreetPass so if you play with your game connected to Wi-Fi you may get lucky and get the one you need that way.

If I'm wrong can someone please tell me because I need to know for the TM guide haha

Nope, you just have to keep trying every day to see if the one you need pops up. Don't bother trying to change your DS's clock either as that stops all time based events from occurring for 24 hours. You can gain access to islands from other players through StreetPass so if you play with your game connected to Wi-Fi you may get lucky and get the one you need that way.

If I'm wrong can someone please tell me because I need to know for the TM guide haha
No, I'm pretty sure it's just like you said. You can, however, get StreetPass updates (up to 30) every eight hours iirc so connecting to the internet can potentially give you 2 - 3 chances to find the Mirage Spots that hold the TMs you still need. And you're going to want both bikes, Rock Smash, and Cut all ready to go before you go soaring. It really sucks to land on a spot that has a TM, but you lack the means to get it at the time...

Is it possible to NOT use circle pad for navigation during Soaring? Reason is that my circle pad is sorta dying, so I don't wanna kill it quicker than necessary. :s

Can anyone here confirm that the Masuda Method still works? If so, could we safely assume the odds with the Shiny Charm are 1/512? I'm nearing 900 Yanma hatched, guess I'm getting a little antsy.

No, you can also get Self Destruct Muchnlax's from the PokeWalker if I remember correctly. I believe however it may be an event route for it, so XD Snorlax is far more reliable/available. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Winner's_Path_(Pokéwalker_Route)
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Can anyone here confirm that the Masuda Method still works? If so, could we safely assume the odds with the Shiny Charm are 1/512? I'm nearing 900 Yanma hatched, guess I'm getting a little antsy.
I'm pretty sure it still works. So far I've hatched 3 shinies accidentally within 20-30 eggs when breeding with a Japanese Ditto. And I recall reading a thread on the Research forum a while ago that basically confirmed it.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Yep, the Masuda Method still works in ORAS, you're just getting unlucky. In all honesty though, 900 eggs and no shiny isn't that uncommon, there are many people who have hatched thousands without a shiny. Just keep at it and you'll get one eventually. If you get sick of that though you could look into Shiny Value Hatching, it involves getting someone to check the Shiny Value of your egg(s) (ESV) and then trading that egg to someone with the corresponding Trainer Shiny Value (TSV) which will make the egg hatch shiny. The method is a bit convoluted so if you have any questions then feel free to PM me :) Of course if you want your shinies to have your OT then you'll just have to grind it out...

Yep, the Masuda Method still works in ORAS, you're just getting unlucky. In all honesty though, 900 eggs and no shiny isn't that uncommon, there are many people who have hatched thousands without a shiny. Just keep at it and you'll get one eventually. If you get sick of that though you could look into Shiny Value Hatching, it involves getting someone to check the Shiny Value of your egg(s) (ESV) and then trading that egg to someone with the corresponding Trainer Shiny Value (TSV) which will make the egg hatch shiny. The method is a bit convoluted so if you have any questions then feel free to PM me :) Of course if you want your shinies to have your OT then you'll just have to grind it out...
I have heard of the TSV method, but yeah, I might as well grind it out. My longest hunt to date was 1273 for Froakie (thank the heavens it had Protean), but I can't really complain. Thanks for clarifying!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
does anyone know where to get the scanner in ORAS, i know what room its in, but i cant figure out how to get the item itself.
You just need to tap A like you would with any hidden item (like you're using the Dowsing Machine). As for the location, it's on the right hand side of the room. Here's a YouTube video because I'm having trouble trying to describe it, lol

You just need to tap A like you would with any hidden item (like you're using the Dowsing Machine). As for the location, it's on the right hand side of the room. Here's a YouTube video because I'm having trouble trying to describe it, lol

So, should i use a Dowsing Machine then?
Btw cant watch video cuz safety mode is one

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
So, should i use a Dowsing Machine then?
Btw cant watch video cuz safety mode is one
You can't use it while Diving. The scanner is in the deepest underwater room, one the right hand side of the room. Just swim down there and tap A on different spots until you find it. Not sure why the video isn't working for you, just try googling 'where is the scanner in alpha sapphire' and you'll find similar results

You can't use it while Diving. The scanner is in the deepest underwater room, one the right hand side of the room. Just swim down there and tap A on different spots until you find it. Not sure why the video isn't working for you, just try googling 'where is the scanner in alpha sapphire' and you'll find similar results
oh ok,
for a sec i thought it was in the room where u sense a weird feeling, the first room after diving and u rise up to a different part of the boat.....
but thanks for the correction!

Is there any IV calculators that are simple, i tryed Serebii's, but it wouldn't give the Specific Ivs like it used to....
Most are going to be very similar to Serebii's. It usually will give a very tight range of possible IV's if the Pokemon in question is at a reasonable level like level 50 and you discover what its Hidden Power type is. (lady in Fortree, next to the one who hands out the TM) Only Groudon/Kyogre give a tad of trouble due to being at that awkward level 45, and most anything else can be temporarily leveled to level 50 by doing a battle test in the Battle Institute.

Most are going to be very similar to Serebii's. It usually will give a very tight range of possible IV's if the Pokemon in question is at a reasonable level like level 50 and you discover what its Hidden Power type is. (lady in Fortree, next to the one who hands out the TM) Only Groudon/Kyogre give a tad of trouble due to being at that awkward level 45, and most anything else can be temporarily leveled to level 50 by doing a battle test in the Battle Institute.
Iv been doing pokes @ lvl 50, Like my Ho-Oh, but it says that im wrong even though i just caught it and it has no EVs

Iv been doing pokes @ lvl 50, Like my Ho-Oh, but it says that im wrong even though i just caught it and it has no EVs
Then you're forgetting something, as you'd likely get that message on near any calculator if you've forgotten to set something properly like the Pokemon's nature. ...though I wouldn't waste too much time on Ho-Oh, as Regenerator or Apricorn ball > pentagon Pressure, and it's banned in VGC anyway.

Then you're forgetting something, as you'd likely get that message on near any calculator if you've forgotten to set something properly like the Pokemon's nature. ...though I wouldn't waste too much time on Ho-Oh, as Regenerator or Apricorn ball > pentagon Pressure, and it's banned in VGC anyway.
I just wanted to use the Ho-Oh in my game, not for competive battle, also it was sort of practice for SRing.

I just wanted to use the Ho-Oh in my game, not for competive battle, also it was sort of practice for SRing.
Very well, but it's much easier to SR after Delta Episode when the IV judge is available to tell you what its best stats are. (Cosplay Pikachu and all obtainable legendary Pokmeon have a minimum of three perfect IV's) My point still stands, however, you should check and make sure you've filled out its stats and nature properly. I just entered the stats of my Terrakion and got its IV's (Jolly 31/31/29/21/28/31 HP Steel) just fine on Serebii's IV calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)