Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Sorry LeNorm, I don't think that's right.

1) No
2) No
3) No
4) Ash Greninja
5) It would be fairy Arceus with Water Judgement
6) It Copies the original move. Z- Mirror Move will do the Z move regardless if they did or not.
Why not? None of the Aegislash forms are item dependent, and ditto copies abilities and moves. Ditto with the Greninja (3).

Why not? None of the Aegislash forms are item dependent, and ditto copies abilities and moves. Ditto with the Greninja (3).
The reason is is that the ability is locked to aegislash only, so therefore, if something else had the ability, say ditto, it wouldn't use it because it isn't the right pokemon

I am still debating between Timid vs Jolly Tapu Koko
Timid has a great movepool (also I like doubles)
Jolly is taking advantage of its monster atk stat

Help me out please.

Last edited:
The reason is is that the ability is locked to aegislash only, so therefore, if something else had the ability, say ditto, it wouldn't use it because it isn't the right pokemon
Perhaps someone should test this on the cartridge since speculating and making assumptions leads nowhere. Mechanics do not always make sense.

What's the debuff that's happened to paralysis? I've noticed my own paralysed mons are faster than they were last gen with the status, but I wanted to know the specifics - it's also not on bulbapedia anyway.

How does Disguise behave when the user is attacked by a multi-hit move? Does the Disguise protect from the first hit or the entire attack? I'm thinking the former, but I'm not entirely sure.

Pelipper seems to be boosting the viability of rain. Does Drought on Torkoal make Sun teams at all viable?
Rain was pretty good already, by being benefitial to Water, Electric, Flying and Steel, unlike other weathers that don't have as much variety
Pelipper is amazing for Rain teams thanks to it acces to U-Turn, and has some nice bonus points like having Roost and Defog

Torkoal is definetly better than Ninetales, by a lot. Access to Stealth Rocks and Rapid Spin + a great bulk is pretty nice

Is sun better than before? Yeah.

Is sun viable? I don't think so. At least not a lot

Rain was pretty good already, by being benefitial to Water, Electric, Flying and Steel, unlike other weathers that don't have as much variety
Pelipper is amazing for Rain teams thanks to it acces to U-Turn, and has some nice bonus points like having Roost and Defog

Torkoal is definetly better than Ninetales, by a lot. Access to Stealth Rocks and Rapid Spin + a great bulk is pretty nice

Is sun better than before? Yeah.

Is sun viable? I don't think so. At least not a lot
Mega-Zard Y makes sun more viable than either Ninetales or Torkoal, especially when paired with Chlorophyl Venusaur, among others. That said, it does take up the mega slot (which isn't so bad in SuMo as there are only a handful of available megas), and it is hard to find a whole team that does well in the Sun, rather than just a semi-sun team.

Hi, I made a post at the VERY bottom of page 9, and someone made a post right after me, causing nobody to see my post since it just takes you to page 10. At least I think that's what happened, I'm sorry if asking for teambuilding advice isn't allowed - I thought it was. I'm going to delete my old post and repost the original:

I'm 2/3 done with a team and I wanted some help on the last 2 slots?
I'm trying to build around bulky SD Scizor, built a defensive backbone around it that I like a lot, but I want some offensive pressure. A way to make it feel more like balance and less like semistall? I feel like I've already supported Sciz really well, I just need general checks to things I'm unprepared for, problem is I don't know what those things are, so advice on what to add would be appreciated.
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Scald
- Toxic
- Defog

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Hippowdon is invested fully in pdef because most of the special checks it ran spdef for aren't popular anymore. Mantine spread is to beat Keld and Pheromosa.

Mega-Zard Y makes sun more viable than either Ninetales or Torkoal, especially when paired with Chlorophyl Venusaur, among others. That said, it does take up the mega slot (which isn't so bad in SuMo as there are only a handful of available megas), and it is hard to find a whole team that does well in the Sun, rather than just a semi-sun team.
When I say sun, I meant like full sun teams (like a standard rain team, but with sun)

I actually forgot about Charizard Y lol, but I don't find it a really good "Sun setter", thanks to its weakness to rocks (At least Torkoal is only 2x times weak to it) and the fact that it is a mega, which not only means you are unable to pick something that could be a bit better for your team (though, as you said, there is not a lot of megas anyways) and its inability of holding a Heat rock.

(edit: And also, he was asking if the inclusion of Torkoal made sun teams better, not which sun setter is better)

Hey there, I had a few quick questions about SM and strat :) Hopefully this is the right place to ask them!

1- Is there a new thing about Poison type Pokemon cancelling Toxik Spikes? I've played a couple games on Showdown 7G and everytime a Poison type mon switches in, toxik spikes disappear.
2- Any tip about countering Celesteela? I've found something with liquid ooze tentacruel but heavy slam is really a pain.
3- Is there a database with "useful" mons (up to 7g) by base stat. I know bulbapedia and some other websites have a list like that but it is not very common as a spreadsheet would be.

Thank you for your help :)

Question about EVs. They just don't seem to be adding up for me. Trying to breed my first competitive Pokemon ever. It's a low level Cubone right now. It's gone wrong twice now. I get one with 5 IVs where I want them (all but spA) and transfer Pokerus to it.

The spread I'm going for is 252HP/180ATK/68SPDefense/4DEF/4SPD.

252 is easy to get. I just kill a caterpie 7 chain with power item and pokerus. That makes the HP stat shine when I look at it on the EV page. Next is where I'm having problems.

For attack I did the following: Spinarak = 1 attack EV. + power item = 9 EV. + Pokerus = 18 EV for the 1st one and 36 EV for any SoS ones.

I encounter one, bring it to 1hp. It calls in 4 chains. After killing the chains and 1st one it should be 18 (18x1) + (36x4) which comes to 162. Then I find another single one and kill it for another 18 EV. That should come to 180 total attack EV.

I head to SpDefense. Using Drowsee on Route 2. I equip the power item. Looking for 68 here so I have to do a few different encounters. First encounter I'm using the item and find a drowsee, chain it once, then kill them. That should be 18 + 36 for 54 EV. Problem is I go and check the EVs and the bar has turned blue saying I'm maxed out.

Using an EV calculator shows that my current HP and attack stats match what they should be but my special defense is 1 point higher on game than the EV calculator. How is this possible if I only killed 2 Drowzee? It was an original and an SoS which should be 18+36 for 54. I still would need 14 more SPDefense, 4 defense, and 4 speed EV. Last time it seemed Attack got too many even after doing the same thing I did here with the math. So how is that maxing me out? Does any see anything I'm doing or calculating wrong? Also the HP stat is shining but the EV bar doesn't extend all the way up there for some odd reason, if that means anything.

Thanks.

Edit: Just went to route 1 and killed 1 Yungoos + 4 chained ones. Somehow that gave me 198 EVs according to the calculator because in game my attack stat is 15 and on the calculator it should be 14 up until 198 EV. That's not even possible?? I'm CERTAIN it was no more than 5.

Edit 2: Just tried it once more. Cap HP at 252 easily. Find a Yungoos, kill 4 chains for 144. Kill the original to bring it to 162. Find another to make it 180. Go find a Drowzee. Kill 1 chain and the original for 54 total. After the battle my EV spread turns blue and it says I'm done. How does 252 + 180 + 54 = 486 cap me? This makes absolutely no sense. I have to be doing something wrong here. Does SoS'ing make the original non-chained Pokemon worth 18 more points (double) than he is if he wouldn't call a SoS in?

Edir 3: It has to be what I just said. When a pokemon cals for help, I think all Pokemon become 2x more in the battle including the original. Not sure if they have to call for it only or the help has to come.

Last edited:
Hey there, I had a few quick questions about SM and strat :) Hopefully this is the right place to ask them!

1- Is there a new thing about Poison type Pokemon cancelling Toxik Spikes? I've played a couple games on Showdown 7G and everytime a Poison type mon switches in, toxik spikes disappear.
2- Any tip about countering Celesteela? I've found something with liquid ooze tentacruel but heavy slam is really a pain.
3- Is there a database with "useful" mons (up to 7g) by base stat. I know bulbapedia and some other websites have a list like that but it is not very common as a spreadsheet would be.

Thank you for your help :)
1.- It had been always like this. If a Poison Pokémon touches the ground with toxic spikes, the toxic spikes dissapear

2.- There are a few checks to it (I migth be wrong tho, is still a really early meta, and stuff could change with time. Also, I haven't played that much post Power Construct ban, so I could be outdated some of the sets)
Aegi can beat it 1v1 if it is not running flamethrower
Marowak-A switches into non EQ Celesteela
Heatran beats non EQ Celesteela
Tapu Koko destroys it, but it can't switch in safely
I'm pretty sure Zygarde 50% sets up on it and kills it with TA (Leech Seed sucks, but if you set up sub before that you win)
Is not that good against rain in general
If there is not SR in the field, both Charizard can switch in, X sets up on it, and Y gets a kill
I'm not completely sure, since I have no experience in the matchup, but I think Toxapex can beat Celesteela 1v1. Toxapex can fish for a Scald burn and recover, while Celesteela doesn't get a lot of HP back with Leech Seed thanks to Toxapex tiny HP

And, like with every defensive mon without reliable recovery, chip damage helps a lot

3.- I wouldn't trust base stats that much to define a Pokémon's viability. And at this state of the meta, we don't have enough info

Vague

Banned deucer.
Offensive as in Timid?
So you saying I shouldn't use timid?
I'm saying Timid should only be used when running an offensive set and offensive sets aren't that good. You should run Bold because it allows you to run a competent defensive set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)