Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Whats the consensus on Life Orb vs Soul Dew on Latios if you're only using Dragon and Psychic moves?

For example, if a CM Latios set of Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Roost, Calm Mind is used, what's the better choice?

Vague

Banned deucer.
Whats the consensus on Life Orb vs Soul Dew on Latios if you're only using Dragon and Psychic moves?

For example, if a CM Latios set of Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Roost, Calm Mind is used, what's the better choice?
For your example, yes Soul Dew is better since it still powers up its STAB but doesn't have LO recoil. For sets that have coverage options like Shadow Ball or HP Fire, LO is better. So basically if you're not running any coverage , Soul Dew is the way to go for enhanced longevity.

Regarding Pheromosa: While I understand that Naive is preferred over Hasty "because Priority Moves are Physical", but does Naive actually stop her from getting KO'd by them, or is it just a min-maxers choice?

Thanks!

Regarding Pheromosa: While I understand that Naive is preferred over Hasty "because Priority Moves are Physical", but does Naive actually stop her from getting KO'd by them, or is it just a min-maxers choice?

Thanks!
Yes
For example, Shadow Sneak from Aegislash is 2HKO 100% of the time on Hasty, while with Naive, is only 64%

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Pheromosa: 147-174 (51.9 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 132-156 (46.6 - 55.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO

Being Naive over Hasty is nice when facing Genesect, which gives it an SpAtk raise instead of an Attack raise, and several teams preffer facin a +1 SpAtk Genesect rather than an +1 Atk one

Of course, you shouldn't stay in against Aegislash anyways. It was just an example that having a - nature and not having one is pretty significant

Last edited:
Yes
For example, Shadow Sneak from Aegislash is 2HKO 100% of the time on Hasty, while with Naive, is only 64%

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Pheromosa: 147-174 (51.9 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 132-156 (46.6 - 55.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO

Being Naive over Hasty is nice when facing Genesect, which gives it an SpAtk raise instead of an Attack raise, and several teams preffer facin a +1 SpAtk Genesect rather than an +1 Atk one
Dang. Sounds like there's no excuse for Hasty then.

Thanks!

What would the best nature for an offensive Necrozma be? (I might end up using SR, all-out attacker, or some kind of Z-Prismatic Laser set if it's any good.) Undecided between Modest and Timid.

Last edited:
Would it be alright if I make a thread for discussing the Terrain/Weather mechanics (either here or on the SuMo board at the Orange Islands)?

Thanks for you fast answer :)

Aegi can beat it 1v1 if it is not running flamethrower
Marowak-A switches into non EQ Celesteela
Heatran beats non EQ Celesteela
Tapu Koko destroys it, but it can't switch in safely
I'm pretty sure Zygarde 50% sets up on it and kills it with TA (Leech Seed sucks, but if you set up sub before that you win)
Is not that good against rain in general
If there is not SR in the field, both Charizard can switch in, X sets up on it, and Y gets a kill
I'm not completely sure, since I have no experience in the matchup, but I think Toxapex can beat Celesteela 1v1. Toxapex can fish for a Scald burn and recover, while Celesteela doesn't get a lot of HP back with Leech Seed thanks to Toxapex tiny HP

3.- I wouldn't trust base stats that much to define a Pokémon's viability. And at this state of the meta, we don't have enough info
2.- Most Celesteela run Flamethrower so I would not consider Aegi.
Heatran and Zard aren't yet available on 7G but I'll try to remember it for later on ;)

Why is it not good against rain team?
I don't think Toxapex is a viable option since burn has been nerfed and he has low SpA, and Celesteela may be running EQ.

I liked Magnezone for magnepiege and Tbolt, it sounded nice

3.- I think basestats, ability, typing and moveset can define a mon viability. In fact I'd like to learn about the tiers (not only speed) so a database may be useful :)

Paralisis now reduces your speed to 50%, instead of to a 25%
Chance of hitting yourself in Confusion was reduced from 50% to 33% (Or was it 30%? I don't remember)
Burn damage does only 1/16 instead of 1/8
No, confusion hasn't changed (that was just a rumor that went remarkably long without being seriously tested until it was debunked recently, see http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...chanics-research.3586701/page-48#post-7104791).

Apparently multiple tests have been done with different results (some people finding the chance is still 50%, others finding it appears to be 33%). Barring extraordinary luck, some of the people doing tests have been screwing something up so they're not measuring the correct probability. It is still not decisively clear what the correct answer is.

Last edited:
Thanks for you fast answer :)
Why is it not good against rain team?
A good bunch of rain staple Pokémon 2HKO Celeestela.
Kingdra for example, 2HKOes after rocks and a bit of chip damage a 252HP/252SpDef Celeestela (I don't know if is that even a set)
And of course electric Pokémon kinda destroys Celeestela too

And Celesteela often can't do a lot in return, other than Seed Bombing or Leech Seeding

No, confusion hasn't changed (that was just a rumor that went remarkably long without being seriously tested until it was debunked recently, see http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...chanics-research.3586701/page-48#post-7104791).
Huh... I could have swear of reading it in the battle mechanics thread, my bad

Last edited:
Okay I gonna change my question? I get the mechanical aspects of Environmental effects, (Weather and terrains) but My knowledge of the teambuilding aspect is too limited and useless for my plans. I want to know what the common weather/terrain setups are and if my other questions on the teambuilding side are better served in the general metagame thread?

With new threads being made for the gen 7 mons, are we allowed to make threads about how previously introduced mons will function in gen 7 OU? I think stuff like Latios, Aegislash, Mega Scizor, Genesect, Lando-I, Duggy, etc. deserve their own discussion threads since we are still figuring out what they can do in the current meta.

Edit: Porygon-Z has a thread, so why not the others? I assume we can post threads for these mons (so long as mods approve of course) so I'm surprised that no one has made threads for them. If we could make them that would be great.

Edit Morningstar Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but the most common archetypes I've seen on the ladder are rain offense and hail offense. Sand is still a thing but less common from what I've seen. Rain uses Pelipper as the rain setter and generally has the usual Kingdra, as well as Alolan Raichu and Tapu Koko. Hail always has Alolan Ninetales and Alolan Sandslash in my experiences. As for terrains, some teams are built around Tapu Koko's electric terrain (ie rain offense/electric spam) and Tapu Lele's psychic terrain (ie mons abuse the lack of priority/psychic spam). Tapu Bulu's grassy terrain and Tapu Fini's misty terrain are both solid, but teams are generally not built around their terrains. They can be, though, as fat balance/stall appreciates the effects of grassy/misty terrain.

Last edited:
I know this is very early meta but what's a decent nature for most Volcanion sets? Receiving a Volcanion in Omega Ruby and I wanna know for when I transfer it up.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would aim for a Modest nature, Timid is probably decent too. We have yet to see this meta develop but Volcanion's primary role in ORAS was as a holepuncher. A weakness to Stealth Rock and middling speed stat make sure that defensive sets leave a lot to be desired, so I'd aim for specially offensive

Is it possible to still get the demo/ash greninja?
Yeah, you get it from completing the demo. I believe it'll be available permanently unless the demo gets discontinued for some reason (which seems unlikely for a long time given that the ORAS demo is still available).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)