Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Is there a list of z-move buffs of support moves anywhere? Would be great if theres any since im planning a baton passer and z-buffs could be a nice factor. now that theres baton pass clause, my imagination is a little restricted so z-buffs seems is like either an oasis or mirage to me lol
There is this, which I think is what you're after: http://pastebin.com/d5Hed1cw
As far as I know it is accurate, so hopefully it will help you.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but was Sand Veil supposed to be unbanned? I just played against someone using it on Garchomp (with the Z-Sandstorm set), and I didn't realize it was allowed on Showdown until now.

If it's been unbanned, then I can accept that. I was just under the impression that it broke Smogon's policy of reducing the RNG from evasion-boosting.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but was Sand Veil supposed to be unbanned? I just played against someone using it on Garchomp (with the Z-Sandstorm set), and I didn't realize it was allowed on Showdown until now.

If it's been unbanned, then I can accept that. I was just under the impression that it broke Smogon's policy of reducing the RNG from evasion-boosting.
I do not believe Sand Veil was banned during Gen 6 OU, due to weather not being permanent until overridden by another form of weather like with Gen 5 and the fact that this boost isn't permanent either, unlike with evasion boosting moves. It's also far more situational to have up, as it would require either a specific member or move slot dedicated to it.

I do not believe Sand Veil was banned during Gen 6 OU, due to weather not being permanent until overridden by another form of weather like with Gen 5 and the fact that this boost isn't permanent either, unlike with evasion boosting moves. It's also far more situational to have up, as it would require either a specific member or move slot dedicated to it.
I see. I must have mistakenly remembered it being banned since I don't really recall ever seeing Sand Veil Garchomp on Smogon (though I did see a few on cartridge Battle Spot). Thanks for the clarification!

This is a set from ORAS meta.

Niagara (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SpA / 40 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Protect

200 Spe is used to Substitute before Heatran Toxics or Taunts you. 40 SpD to have a shot at having your Sub intact against a Rotom-W's Volt Switch at +1. 252 HP allows you to tank a Seismic Toss with a Substitute.
Top players used that spread but with the 16 spa allocated to speed instead. Bold 252 hp 252 def 4 spdef was 2.5% more common though: http://www.smogon.com/stats/2014-12/moveset/ou-1825.txt

I feel like the confusion status does more damage to self now. Yes I know it's based on the confused Pokemon's Atk and Def stats, but it still feels like the damage is higher now. Has it already been tested and confirmed that it is still an effective 40 power physical move on the user? I feel like it might be higher, like 50 or 60.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I feel like the confusion status does more damage to self now. Yes I know it's based on the confused Pokemon's Atk and Def stats, but it still feels like the damage is higher now. Has it already been tested and confirmed that it is still an effective 40 power physical move on the user? I feel like it might be higher, like 50 or 60.
The only change to confusion was the decrease in the chance of the afflicted 'mon hitting itself, 50% down to 30%.

I did some digging around on your behalf and found this:

http://pokemon-matome.net/articles/121198.html

1447 During confusion, self-trauma 512 movements were made 935 times (self-injury probability 35.38%)
Definitely self-injury probability is set lower than 50%
That sounds to me like a statistically significant sample. Whether the self-harm rate is exactly 30%, I couldn't find anything concrete, but the existence of a nerf of some form seems to be beyond reasonable doubt.

What does PU stand for? I understand the pun, but all the other know tiers have acronyms that are more easily understandable (Never Used, Underused, Overused and Borderline. The one exception is Ubers and that is because a single U would be confusing)

It doesn't stand for anything. PU started as a joke tier that eventually gained a legitimate playerbase and became a real metagame with a permanent ladder. People have backronymed PU into standing for "partially used" but nobody actually calls it that.

Anyway I'm not sure this is the place for this question because SuMo PU won't exist for at least 4-8 months.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Call me super skeptical but I don't trust a site whose language I can't read to verify it actually says that.

Somebody here did their own test on Confusion and the self-hit rate seemed to be the same as previous Gen, though the sample size was smaller than the test listed above. It's in the Research thread somewhere.

Curious to see what the guide book says about Confusion, since somebody read it and that's how we found out how Battle Bond affected Water Shuriken.

The confusion test that was posted in the research thread was 47 self-hits in 93 attempts. The sample size is smaller, but it's still highly statistically significant (there is about a 0.04% chance of getting a result like that by chance if the actual rate is 33% as has been reported, and about a 0.15% chance if the actual rate is 35% as suggested by the Japanese test). So it's extremely unlikely that both of these confusion tests were performed correctly.

(Incidentally, the Japanese test, if correct, also suggests the commonly stated 33% number is wrong--there is only about a 3% chance of getting results like that if it actually is 33%.)

Has there been any discussion on how long it will be until the tiers are chosen? I know that this will be post-bank tiering, but I was wondering if it would be done before that. Thank you.

Has there been any discussion on how long it will be until the tiers are chosen? I know that this will be post-bank tiering, but I was wondering if it would be done before that. Thank you.
Tiers are decided by usage, and we won't create the UU beta until most of the issues we have in OU are sorted out (i.e. quickbans), especially since last gen it took three months before UU beta was put up. I estimate it will take that much time before UU beta gets put up, then RU Beta is put up three months after that, etc.

Given that it usually likes to use Psyshock and Draco Meteor, would it be worth giving Latios the newly-nerfed Soul Dew as opposed to Life Orb? It seems a better option if you value longevity, especially on bulkier builds.

Given that it usually likes to use Psyshock and Draco Meteor, would it be worth giving Latios the newly-nerfed Soul Dew as opposed to Life Orb? It seems a better option if you value longevity, especially on bulkier builds.
Your coverage move becomes very weak though and you miss out on kills against important foes like Jirachi, Tyranitar, Bisharp and Mega Metagross. Soul Dew may be good on Latias who appreciates not losing bulk but Latios generally prefers nuking stuff out with the extra boost LO provides.

252 SpA Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 132-156 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 122-144 (40.3 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Latios Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 132-156 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Ferrothorn: 224-264 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 264-312 (76.7 - 90.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Latios Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 188-222 (58 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 176-208 (64.7 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 159-187 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 172-203 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 172-203 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Ferrothorn: 291-343 (82.6 - 97.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 343-406 (99.7 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 244-289 (75.3 - 89.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 229-270 (84.1 - 99.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
I'm interested in why stealth rock is not/will not be suspect tested when other things are dropped down from ubers to be retested and other things are being suspect tested. To briefly support my question, you could consider stealth rock's impact on the metagame if it were a pokemon. Every team would be stealth rock+stealth rock counter+4 mons that ultimately would help facilitate your stealth rock as a wincon and take advantage of it being one while removing the opponent's. It would be the most centralizing mon in the history of pokemon. So why is it not being suspect tested?

I'm interested in why stealth rock is not/will not be suspect tested when other things are dropped down from ubers to be retested and other things are being suspect tested. To briefly support my question, you could consider stealth rock's impact on the metagame if it were a pokemon. Every team would be stealth rock+stealth rock counter+4 mons that ultimately would help facilitate your stealth rock as a wincon and take advantage of it being one while removing the opponent's. It would be the most centralizing mon in the history of pokemon. So why is it not being suspect tested?

Prior precedent more than anything else at this point, I'd imagine. I probably (in hindsight) would have been supportive of a ban in 4th gen, 5th had... Other problems to consider, and 6th gen was pretty healthy after the Defog buff, with Talonflame, Charizard and a bunch of other stuff doing well in spite of SR. And we've got (slightly) more defoggers and spinners now than we did then, so it's at least no more of a problem that it has been previously.

Also, that we've no alternative to hazards-that-hit-fliers probably makes most people reluctant to see it completely go. Birdspam was pretty decent last gen, and there's still a lot of fliers and levitators whose counterplay includes setting hazards.

Just my two cents!

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Can someone link me to a full list of movepool changes for gen 7 mons? I tried googling and didn't find what I wanted.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I imagine SR is not being tested because it's not broken at all and the idea of getting rid of it is ludicrous. We also have more tools to deal with it than in Gens IV (which is considered a good and healthy meta btw) and V where it could actually be considered a problem because the counterplay is much more limited. Spikes stacking is seen as more of a problem in V anyway because it does more damage and spinblocking is so easy.

People are just being bitchy. It enhances the strategy of the game, not limit it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)