Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm personally running 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe and other faster spreads on non-Focus Punch variants. This allows Mawile to outrun Skarmory, allowing it to use Thunder Punch before it Roosts. Faster spreads including max speed can be used and are good, or slower/bulkier spreads are also an option if you opt to run Focus Punch because Focus Punch is going to hit Skarmory as it Roosts anyway.

I wondered this myself at first because Lando-T can switch into Mega Mawile on the turn it mega-evolves and lower its attack. You know, the usual Lando shenanigans.

I like intimidate more since it helps Mawile mega more safely, so there is less opportunity cost. Basically it's better to mega evolve while taking as little damage as possible instead of worrying about a decrease in Mawile's sky-high attack for only one turn.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What's the preferred nature of Banded 50% Zygarde? Jolly or Adamant?
Adamant. Zygarde is pretty weak so it needs all the extra power it can get, and Jolly doesn't really let it outspeed anything that significant outside of like Jolly Excadrill which wont dare to stay in on it anyway.

I am wanting to make a balanced team around one of my favorite mons, Mega Gyarados. Here is a rough draft of my team comp

Mega Gyarados
Garchomp
Gengar
Skarmory (maybe)
Empty slot
Empty slot

What should I put in my empty slots. I was thinking maybe Volcarona for another special sweeper and possibly Starmie for spinning. What roles am I missing?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Skarmory is mostly seen on stall, but i'd advice fini because I don't see You using status and it's the most splashable hazard control even if it isn't the best

special phesmo murders Your top 3 picks with ice beam and bug buzzing through a sub and it's common for them to run Z-focus blast and with hazards up that should body skamory

but a big part of gengar is what set it is, what it does with scarf plays very different than it's option sets

I think You need a way to soak up burns, speed control(could mean scarf/slow turn lando to disfuse somethings attack), something to pivot around safely, and answers to pivots like ferrthorn can really ruin Mega dos's day with hazards/rocky helmet/bullet seed(I've ran it to crap on subs/not missing power whip)

A-marowak might be a really good teammate soaking burn/volt turns/ walling phemo without wierd HPs like rock/ground it also beats ferrthorn/torpex/some grass regen sets

Question. I played one match in the Feb international competition but I don't see the codes to the Beedrill and mawile mega stones on my global link account. Where do I find them? Aren't the stones awarded to all entrants?

Question. I played one match in the Feb international competition but I don't see the codes to the Beedrill and mawile mega stones on my global link account. Where do I find them? Aren't the stones awarded to all entrants?
You needed three, not one.

Kind of a specific question, but I want to use Azelf on a team, and most sources says that it's best on Hyper offense, so would it ruin my momentum if I have a bulky Tapu Fini on my team as a Defogger?

AbrarWasee

formerly Train All
Kind of a specific question, but I want to use Azelf on a team, and most sources says that it's best on Hyper offense, so would it ruin my momentum if I have a bulky Tapu Fini on my team as a Defogger?
It will actually, since the intention of Hyper Offense is keeping momentum on your side, and a slow and passive Pokemon like Tapu Fini ruins it. There are better options for hazard removal on Hyper Offense, such as- Excadrill, Pheromosa, Starmie, Latios, Latias etc. Basically if you need hazard removal on Hyper Offense, you would want to use something offensively oriented. Hope this helps.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On the types of builds that you will be running Azelf on, you have two options for hazard control:
  • Rapid Spin
  • No hazard control
Defoggers are not viable on Azelf HO because Azelf will be the only rocker used on such a build--making clearing your own hazards completely detrimental. Tapu Fini is especially bad here because it saps a huge amount of momentum every time it clicks Defog.

Rapid Spin should only be utilised on hyper offense builds which utilise Pokemon which really need it--things like Dragonite, Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, Salamence, Volcarona etc.--and it is generally best left to Pokemon like Pheromosa or Excadrill who are not explicitly momentum saps when they do it. However, if a hyper offense team lacks a Pokemon which explicitly requires hazard control, it is generally best to forgo it completely and to try and keep hazards off of the field through heavy offensive pressure.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Why isn't there a Sample Teams thread yet? Other tiers like UU or RU already have their samples and at this point the meta is already kinda settled with some strong archrtypes and meta-defining threats. There are some sample worhty teams too imo like bro fist's Core 4, the standard Stall, sash Spam HO etc

Is there anywhere I can go to get help building an OU team? I'd like to use Trick Room Magearna, but I'm not sure what would be good teammates for it.

Why isn't there a Sample Teams thread yet? Other tiers like UU or RU already have their samples and at this point the meta is already kinda settled with some strong archrtypes and meta-defining threats. There are some sample worhty teams too imo like bro fist's Core 4, the standard Stall, sash Spam HO etc
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-bazaar.3587317/

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xxxteamtacion.3595216/

All you have to do is scroll down a bit!

Did anybody else have/tried out Flame Body Moltres in OU as a mini-defensive CharY?
It - in theory - checks Mawile, Metagross and Pheromosa while providing a counter to Scizor. Flame Body is trolly, but not reliable.

You'd be better off using defensive Zard X. More powerful, faster, better defensive typing and not as weak to rocks. Checks the same stuff bar Phera, and the only advantages to Moltres are Leftovers and not filling the mega slot. But then if that's a concern why not run Rotom-H?

You'd be better off using defensive Zard X. More powerful, faster, better defensive typing and not as weak to rocks. The only advantage to Moltres I can see is that it doesn't fill your mega slot. But then if that's a concern why not run Rotom-H?
ZardX is weak to EQ and Dugtrio

Rotom H is weak, Overheat can't kill MMawile and Megagross in one hit. No Roost for reliable healing

ZardX is weak to EQ and Dugtrio

Rotom H is weak, Overheat can't kill MMawile and Megagross in one hit. No Roost for reliable healing
0 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile-Mega: 306-360 (100.6 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 270-318 (89.7 - 105.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 270-318 (89.7 - 105.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 270-318 (89.7 - 105.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

Kills Mega Mawile in one hit, and that's if it's running max HP. After any passive damage at all, a common reality on a Pokemon with no Leftovers, Overheat has a good chance to OHKO Mega Metagross. No Roost is a pain, but Pain Split does the job pretty well considering Rotom's low base HP. Focus Sash Dug can't OHKO Charizard; Choice Band Dugtrio can OHKO, but can't switch in as Flare Blitz OHKOes and Will-O-Wisp cripples it.

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 224-266 (62.3 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 336-396 (93.5 - 110.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 363-427 (180.5 - 212.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 241-285 (119.9 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I love Moltres but it's not viable in OU. It's great in RU though, use it there.

Martin

Defensive Moltres has legitimate uses over Rotom-H, namely access to Flame Body/Pressure and access to reliable recovery in Roost. Also, being able to run Flamethrower or Hurricane is super nice because it means it isn't forced out every time it uses its STABs.

Key things it has going for it include good matchups vs. things like Pheromosa etc. and, in the case of Pressure sets, the ability to run sets like SubRoost or SubToxic reasonably well to PP stall moves like Stone Edge whilst dealing with the types of 'mons that defensive Fire-types typically keep in check. It is capable of punishing U-turn effectively if it carries Flame Body.

There are very few 'mons which genuinely have no niche at all in OU (i.e. including extremely minuscule niches), it's just that you need incredibly good justification for using them. Moltres has niches both offensively and defensively, it's just that they are E rank niches, and generally speaking other Pokemon will be better on the vast majority of teams.

Question: Is Eevium-Z Eevee with Last Resort considered as having stat boosting move, for the sake of Baton Pass?
Yes. Eevium Z cannot be baton passed due to the Baton Pass Clause. As a result, you could not do this strategy in OU. Quote from the teambuilder: - Eevee can Baton Pass both Speed and a different stat, which is banned by Baton Pass Clause.

Did anybody else have/tried out Flame Body Moltres in OU as a mini-defensive CharY?
It - in theory - checks Mawile, Metagross and Pheromosa while providing a counter to Scizor. Flame Body is trolly, but not reliable.
I tried out flame body moltress.But not as a defensive mon but as a offensive scarfer.And that worked p well until mawile came out.Before mawile i was able to peak 1610 with a scarf moltress team.I dont ladder now,So,Idk if it still works.

I tried out flame body moltress.But not as a defensive mon but as a offensive scarfer.And that worked p well until mawile came out.Before mawile i was able to peak 1610 with a scarf moltress team.I dont ladder now,So,Idk if it still works.
Mawile shouldn't be that much of a threat of flame body moltres if moltres is at high health. Mawile can't stay in, anyway (Fire moves). Maybe try it out one last time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)