Singin' In The Rain (OU Rain Stall)

BASED

Banned deucer.
Singin' In The Rain
Introduction
Sup guys my name is Inside and I am bringing you my first ever rmt today. It is as you can tell by the title a rain stall team. Overall it is a pretty solid team with pretty good synergy in my opinion but it still need a lot of help that is why I even decided to make this. Now without further adieu let's get into the team.
Team Preview
In Depth Look
Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 236 Def / 252 HP / 4 20 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Perish Song
- Toxic
Coming up first everyones favorite green frog Politoed. This is a rain stall team so Politoed is here to do what it does best which is making it rain. The EV spread is really simple 236 investment in defense and 252 in hp to take some hard physical hits and the 20 remaining in speed to speed creep Jellicent which is a bit threatening. The item being one of the most common in the meta leftovers because every little bit of hp counts. Let's move on to Politoed's moveset. First attack I put was scald because it is a great STAB due to the fact that you can pick up some clutch burns on physical attackers. Second move i put was protect and that was so you can either try to get more leftovers recovery, try adding up residual damage against your opponent, or both. The third slot is perish song for times when people try setting up in Politoed's face. And the final slot going to toxic because of how fast the damage racks up on your opponent's pokemon.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs​
EVs: 252 HP / 88 168 Def / 168 88 SDef​
Relaxed Nature​
- Spikes​
- Leech Seed​
- Protect Gyro Ball
- Power Whip​
Next up is Ferrothorn a very important part of the team. Ferrothorn was like made for rain stall it has amazing HP , defense, and special defense stats. Also in rain fire moves power are halved so it's fire weakness it a little bit better. It's EVs are like that so it can take both physical and special hits very well. Okay now we shall get into the moveset. First of all I put spikes because entry hazards are super important on stall teams because it helps whittle the opponents health down quicker. Next up is Leech Seed I used it so you can force switches to add up entry hazard damage and drain the other pokemon's hp and getting it yourself. Third I put Gyro Ball so Ferrothorn is not completely walled by subing dragons which it is there to take hits from. In the final move slot is power whip because it is a good STAB move and to just get more damage off.​
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish​
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd​
Calm Nature​
- Toxic​
- Rapid Spin​
- Scald​
- Protect​
Up next is in my opinion the best spinner to use in rain, Tentacruel. With it's dream world ability rain dish and black sludge it gains back 1/8 of it's hp at the end of every turn. The EVs are there to take advantage of tentacruel's amazing special bulk and 20 speed to add a bit more speed to tentacruel's already average speed. Now that we have that finished let's get into the moveset. First of all I put toxic over toxic spikes because there is so much in the meta that is unaffected by Tspikes. Next I put rapid spin because hazards are really annoying to stall teams so spinning them away is very helpful. Thirdly I have scald to attack and maybe pick up a burn on an annoying physical attacker. Lastly I put protect to get more hp from the black sludge and rain dish combo and to add up toxic damage on the opponent.​
Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize​
EVs: 252 HP / 224 236Def / 32 SDef /20 Spd
Bold Nature​
- Stealth Rock​
- Psychic​
- Will-O-Wisp​
- Softboiled​
Next member of the team is the cute creature hiding under the bus known as mew. It's EVs are so like everything else on this team it can take hits, but more physical hits than special hits and the 20 spd to speed creep adamant breloom. Now let's get into the moveset as always. First of all I put taunt so it can wall baton pass, opposing stall and people who try to set up early game. You should try to set them up almost every battle especially with stall teams. Next up is Mew's main STAB psychic in combination with burn/toxic it can be used to rack up damage faster. Next in the third move slot I put will-o-wisp to cripple strong physical attackers. And the last move on mew is Softboiled so you can heal yourself or just stall things out.​
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure​
EVs: 252Def / 252 20 HP / 4 232SDef​
Bold Nature​
- Wish​
- Softboiled​
- Seismic Toss​
- Toxic Heal Bell
The second to last member on our team is everyones favorite fat bitch Chansey. It can take special hits for days. I put 20 in hp because it does not even need full hp because of it's amazing hp stat. Also I put max in defense I don't even need full spdef and it's normal defense stat is garbage but with the max it is a lot better due to the eviolite. Let's not waste anymore time and get into the moveset. I put wish so you can pass it off to an almost dead team mate and give them back a lot more hp. Secondly I picked softboiled over protect to have a reliable recovery for Chansey. In the 3rd slot I picked Seismic Toss due to the fact that Chansey's offensive stats are horrible the guaranteed 100 hp off a opposing pokemon is good. For Chansey's final slot I picked because it is one of the most important moves in the meta especially for stall.​
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale​
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd​
Calm Nature​
- Substitute​
- Hurricane​
- Dragon Tail​
- Roost​
For the last member of my team with a little help of the people rating my team is Dragonite. The EV spread is again very obvious 252 hp and 236 spdef to some special hits and 20 spd because the extra speed is always nice. Now getting into the moveset up first I got substitute because dragonite forces switches and getting up the substitute goes along with the other 3 moves well. After you sub up you can Hurricane trying to get damage, Dragon Tail to phase out the opponent and rack up more hazard damage, or roost trying to get back to multiscale. (shout out to c05ta for the set lol)​
Conclusion
So that is it my first ever rmt is now finished and I am not going to lie it was really hard work. Respect to all of you people who do this regularly and thanks to everybody who read this whole thing.Also I would like to apologize if some pokemon were not explained as well as others I was starting to get tired. I am of course open to any suggestions and rates because again this team is far from perfect. Thanks again everybody I am hoping to maybe do more of these in the future, bye :]
Note Edits Are In this color :]
Final Look
Former Members
Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy​
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Def​
Bold Nature​
- Pain Split​
- Shadow Ball​
- Will-O-Wisp​
- Knock Off​
Importable
Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 236 Def / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Perish Song
- Toxic
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect
Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Softboiled
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 20 HP / 236 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Hurricane
- Dragon Tail
- Roost

I like the stall set you have going on rain + ferro is a great combo.the one thing i suggest if you run into problems with people setting up run Haze on Cof it has help me in so many different situations

BASED

Banned deucer.
I like the stall set you have going on rain + ferro is a great combo.the one thing i suggest if you run into problems with people setting up run Haze on Cof it has help me in so many different situations
Alright dude I will test around a bit and see which is more useful thanks for the rate :]

First of all, it's great to see a rain stall team here, especially from a user with good taste in movies (assuming it's more than just a shitty pun, lol). I like the foundation of your team but I think it could be much better with some significant changes to your sets, and one switched out poke. I hope you take the time to try out my suggestions, and I think you'll be more than happy with the results.

Sorry I can't give you a full rate because I'm on my iPad, but I will list my suggested changes. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them in full next time I get to my desktop.
Politoed:
-Change EVs to : 252 HP / 230 Def / 24 Spd to speed creep jellicent

Ferrothorn:
-Change EVs to : 252 HP /172 Def / 84 SPDef
-Gyro Ball over Protect

Tentacruel:
-Change EVs to 252 HP/ 236 Def / 20 Spd
-Change Nature to Bold
-Toxic Spikes over Toxic
-Leftovers over Black Sludge

Mew:
-Change EVs to :252 HP/ 236 Def / 20 Spd to outspeed adamant Breloom

Chansey:
-Change EVs to : 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
-Change Nature to Calm
-Heal Bell over Toxic

Cofagarius->Dragonite:
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 20 Spd / 252 HP / 236 SDef
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Hurricane
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
Enjoy. With the proposed changes your team fairs much better against the current meta. In fact, I might even ladder with it myself :p

I would like to know what exactly 252 HP/172 Def/84 SDef does, because I have never seen that spread before.

BASED

Banned deucer.
First of all, it's great to see a rain stall team here, especially from a user with good taste in movies (assuming it's more than just a shitty pun, lol). I like the foundation of your team but I think it could be much better with some significant changes to your sets, and one switched out poke. I hope you take the time to try out my suggestions, and I think you'll be more than happy with the results.

Sorry I can't give you a full rate because I'm on my iPad, but I will list my suggested changes. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them in full next time I get to my desktop.

Enjoy. With the proposed changes your team fairs much better against the current meta. In fact, I might even ladder with it myself :p
thanks for the suggestions bro but I think I am gonna keep the Tentacruel and Ferrothorn the same but I did agree with Tspikes>toxic also I will try testing around with that dnite set

Lol I saw someone use this team on the ladder yesterday actually. Don't know if it was you though but if it wasn't then they steal fast.

Well first of all I faced this team twice on the ladder and it had a huge amount of weakness against Volt-turn teams. Nothing in your team appreciates constant U-turns and volt switches as it 2hkos or KOs everything in your team. With sand residue damage and stealth rock damage adding up this team is up for the worst beating they have seen. Though, hazard setting is the best way to cripple volt turn but now we are seeing Xatu and Espeon around more in Volt-Turn teams so how can you fix this?

Basically by adding Gliscor anywhere in your team. Yes ferrothorn can counter it but with Celebi packing Hidden Power fire nowadays its not really safe. Sub Swords dance glisco can get rid of this problem pretty easily.

Will post the set later but I am on Ipad.

Good luck and great team. Liked

First off I support a lot of C0sta's suggestions on this team, but let me add a little more reasoning to them, particularly on the one's you haven't changed yet:

-Toxic on Chansey and / or Tentacruel: Currently, Volcarona pretty much steamrolls this team, especially if it has recovery with Roost, Morning Sun, or Giga Drain, you pretty much need Toxic to beat it consistently here on one of them. Toxic is also invaluable on Chansey to cripple a variety of critical Pokemon like Ninetails, Donphan, Tyranitar, ect. On Tentacruel it is very useful to score a poison on opposing spin-blockers like Jellicent, also regular poison is kinda meh, and some players will even purposely poison their support Pokemon when there is 1 layer of t-spikes. Also withouth Toxic, combating Keldeo is much harder unless it is Sub-Keldeo, which is rather uncommon.
-Gyroball is invaluable on Ferrothorn, otherwise you team as issues with a wide variety of Dragons: Salamence, Dragonite, Kyurem-B, ect
-Speed creeping with Politoed will aid against Jellicent which currently is a bit of a problem with this team, it also helps to outspeed Choice Band Scizor.

I to would be interested in knowing what exactly C0sta's set walls in particular, although for this team I do suggest that you increase Ferrothorn's defense, as it is your primary wall to a variety of threats.

Also, I am not sure what exactly C0sta's set walls, but 24 / 252 / 232 Bold does it better:

C0sta:
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 16+ SpD Eviolite Chansey: 326-384 (46.5 - 54.77%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 283-334 (40.37 - 47.64%)

24 / 252 / 232 Bold:
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 24 HP / 232 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 294-346 (45.44 - 53.47%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 24 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 261-307 (40.34 - 47.44%)

Note the other set is slightly more specially bulky while having the same physical bulk.

Now as for my suggestions, at the moment Mew is kind of the odd man out there IMO, all it really does is set up Stealth Rocks for this team while at the same time being an 'ok' physical check. If I was you, I would try to get Stealth Rocks on something else so that you could run a stall breaking Mew set, which is pretty much Taunt > Stealth Rocks, such a set would give you the leg up against opposing stall teams which still being a good overall check to physical threats, as well at shutting down hyper offense strategies like Spikes staking Skarmory and (bad) baton pass teams.

Now, for who should run Stealth Rock it is really up to you, Chansey might be something to consider as it is a pretty solid hazard setter, particularly against the omni-present Politoed lead. You also might want to consider running a physical wall with Stealth Rock over Cofagrigus, such as Skarmory or even Sand Force Hippowdon. The choice is yours to play around with.

For Cofagrigus, I also suggest Haze > Knock Off, but also have you considered running Rest over Knock Off, you do have Chansey as a Cleric after all.

Good luck man.

thanks for the suggestions bro but I think I am gonna keep the Tentacruel and Ferrothorn the same but I did agree with Tspikes>toxic also I will try testing around with that dnite set
If you switch DNite>Cofag then you don't need Tentacruel to beat Keldeo. Te physically bulky spread allows you to take u-turns better, as well as beat stuff like SD Scizor and SD Lucario.

Again, Ferro's EV change is dependent on adding dnite. Ferro becomes much more important to beating physical threats to your team, namely dragons, so it needs all the defensive reinforcement it can get. Gyro Ball is a necessity to hit dragons hard.

For those asking about my EVs, I forget what they do because I made them so long ago :P

@wynaut, with that dnite set you don't need to run toxic on the other mons, as it beats volc and keldeo.

BASED

Banned deucer.
If you switch DNite>Cofag then you don't need Tentacruel to beat Keldeo. Te physically bulky spread allows you to take u-turns better, as well as beat stuff like SD Scizor and SD Lucario.

Again, Ferro's EV change is dependent on adding dnite. Ferro becomes much more important to beating physical threats to your team, namely dragons, so it needs all the defensive reinforcement it can get. Gyro Ball is a necessity to hit dragons hard.

For those asking about my EVs, I forget what they do because I made them so long ago :p

@wynaut, with that dnite set you don't need to run toxic on the other mons, as it beats volc and keldeo.
Quick this about the dnite set you wanted to use it works pretty good but imo the team really needs a spin blocker

BASED

Banned deucer.
First off I support a lot of C0sta's suggestions on this team, but let me add a little more reasoning to them, particularly on the one's you haven't changed yet:

-Toxic on Chansey and / or Tentacruel: Currently, Volcarona pretty much steamrolls this team, especially if it has recovery with Roost, Morning Sun, or Giga Drain, you pretty much need Toxic to beat it consistently here on one of them. Toxic is also invaluable on Chansey to cripple a variety of critical Pokemon like Ninetails, Donphan, Tyranitar, ect. On Tentacruel it is very useful to score a poison on opposing spin-blockers like Jellicent, also regular poison is kinda meh, and some players will even purposely poison their support Pokemon when there is 1 layer of t-spikes. Also withouth Toxic, combating Keldeo is much harder unless it is Sub-Keldeo, which is rather uncommon.
-Gyroball is invaluable on Ferrothorn, otherwise you team as issues with a wide variety of Dragons: Salamence, Dragonite, Kyurem-B, ect
-Speed creeping with Politoed will aid against Jellicent which currently is a bit of a problem with this team, it also helps to outspeed Choice Band Scizor.

I to would be interested in knowing what exactly C0sta's set walls in particular, although for this team I do suggest that you increase Ferrothorn's defense, as it is your primary wall to a variety of threats.

Also, I am not sure what exactly C0sta's set walls, but 24 / 252 / 232 Bold does it better:

C0sta:
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 16+ SpD Eviolite Chansey: 326-384 (46.5 - 54.77%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 283-334 (40.37 - 47.64%)

24 / 252 / 232 Bold:
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 24 HP / 232 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 294-346 (45.44 - 53.47%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 24 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 261-307 (40.34 - 47.44%)

Note the other set is slightly more specially bulky while having the same physical bulk.

Now as for my suggestions, at the moment Mew is kind of the odd man out there IMO, all it really does is set up Stealth Rocks for this team while at the same time being an 'ok' physical check. If I was you, I would try to get Stealth Rocks on something else so that you could run a stall breaking Mew set, which is pretty much Taunt > Stealth Rocks, such a set would give you the leg up against opposing stall teams which still being a good overall check to physical threats, as well at shutting down hyper offense strategies like Spikes staking Skarmory and (bad) baton pass teams.

Now, for who should run Stealth Rock it is really up to you, Chansey might be something to consider as it is a pretty solid hazard setter, particularly against the omni-present Politoed lead. You also might want to consider running a physical wall with Stealth Rock over Cofagrigus, such as Skarmory or even Sand Force Hippowdon. The choice is yours to play around with.

For Cofagrigus, I also suggest Haze > Knock Off, but also have you considered running Rest over Knock Off, you do have Chansey as a Cleric after all.

Good luck man.
Also you will be happy to hear I changed quite a lot thanks to you and c05ta so thanks for the rate the team is getting a lot better :]

Quick this about the dnite set you wanted to use it works pretty good but imo the team really needs a spin blocker
Rain Stall doesn't have room for a spin blocker if you want to have an answer for the offensive threats in the meta. The team I gave you handles opposing spinners as well as it can, and your team has the ability to set-up hazards multiple times. Here's how you can deal with all the common spinners:

Starmie lacking recover - Switch into Ferro and just deal consistent damage. It shouldn't be able to spin more than twice.
Starmie with recover - You have to be a bit more clever here, but between Dragonite and Ferrothorn you should be able to force a double switch where their starmie is coming in at 50%ish health and you bring out ferro. They'll be forced to either spin to get rid of hazards (as they won't be able to come in again), or recover just to eat a power whip. Having one layer of T-Spikes definitely helps here.
Tentacruel - Burn it with your tentacruel. Because you have heal bell on chansey you'll be able to clear your tenta of status.
Forretress - Burn it and put it on a timer.
Donphan - It doesn't really have much room to spin in the first place. Getting a layer of T-Spikes down puts it on a quick timer and with some good double switching it'll only be able to spin once.

The general idea isn't to block spin, it's to limit the opponent to spinning 1-2 times and having bulky enough hazard layers to get them down more than once.

As for taunt on Mew, you really need Wish and Heal Bell on Chansey because of Ferro. I'm alright with leaving SR on Mew (and it's bulkier than you'd think Wynaut). You'd need to run alot of speed to taunt lead skarm and that's bulk that Mew just can't give up. The best option is probably to lead with Toed and then switch to Tenta on turn one. With some head games you can either spin the hazards or kill their spin blocker, so they're limited to at most SR in the opening phase of the game.

Edit: I laddered with my version of the team for 2 hours on PO and went something like 25-1, with the one loss being to a sub cm rain jirachi.

Some quick advice; I see that you like giving 252 EV's in HP and 236 EV's in either thei Def, or SpD stat, but you should swap them like this: 236 HP and 252 in Def/SpD. Let me show in detail:

252+ Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Politoed: 189-223 (49.21 - 58.07%) -- 62.11% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 236 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 186-220 (48.94 - 57.89%) -- 58.98% chance to 2HKO

As you can see it let's you take hits slightly better, and having less HP, also pairs well with a passed Wish from Chansey :)

Regarding your Ferrothorn, you should get rid of most his EV's in HP and split it into his Def and SpD stat. I heavily suggest you putting most of it into SpD, because other pokes don't really wanna use many physical moves on Ferro, to begin with. The reason you should cut some of your HP is because you get bulkier, when at the same time you make Leech Seed a better form of recovering ;)

Otherwise this team has good synergy, which is very hard to achieve. Good job making it! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)