Ability: Aerilate
Level: 50
EVs: 172 HP / 116 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Roost
- Substitute
- Toxic

After looking through mence's movepool, I was kinda disappointed. Everything good is already really standard essentially. I wanted to make a set that didn't function too similarly to the standard DD set or special set. I'm hoping there's some hidden gem that I completely missed but here's what I came up with.

The idea is to spread toxic around & with the help of toxic it becomes easier to wear mons down with the return + toxic combination. Sub & Roost also drag out toxic turns as well. Sub is nice on this set for avoiding statuses & mence is really fast too so it can actually make nice use of sub. Some of mence's switch ins like rotom, zapdos(and any other switch in that isn't a steel type i guess) don't really like being toxiced. The EVs were for outspeeding base 115s and enough attack to ohko frail mega gars, rest went to HP.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So after a while of trying to think of something cool/funny to post I've settled on something that I'm surprised isn't being used anyway..

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
52 HP / 220 Atk / 236 Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

So neither Rock Slide or Stone Edge appear in the listings on the PGL, which surprised me since it gives Mence pretty incredible coverage, the biggest one is that it is no longer hard-walled by Zapdos.

The EVs are designed to get the jump on Garchomp in Mega forme, and Scarf Chomp at +1 (also in Mega), this includes everything slower than Chomp which, of course, covers the rare offensive Zapdos. The HP investment is just enough to live a Hidden Power Ice from all Zapdos (except Modest because it requires a lot of investment)
  • 220+ Atk Mega Salamence Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 80-96 (40.6 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • +1 220+ Atk Mega Salamence Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 120-142 (60.9 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So if you can get to +1 ASAP then you're looking at a 2HKO on the bulky 'Dos, which leaves you with some health due to its lack of offensive investment
  • 4 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 124-148 (70 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 148-176 (83.6 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 160-192 (90.3 - 108.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 160-192 (82.9 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • only leaves 92 EVs for attack though

So yeah, I know the fourth slot on DD 'Mence is usually reserved for Sub or Roost, but I really think that Rock Slide is worth a mention just to get around this
  • Adamant 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Speed
    • Outspeeds Timid M-Alakazam at +1 (the naturally fastest 'mon in the tier)
    • Survives Hidden Power Ice from Modest 'Dos (as explained above)
  • Jolly 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Speed
    • Outspeeds Scarf Terrakion at +1
  • Adamant 180 HP / 188 Atk / 140 Speed
    • Outspeeds +1 Adamant / Modest Mega Sharpedo at +1
    • Still survives that HP Ice from 'Dos
      • can also go for 116 HP / 252 Atk if you don't mind Modest 'Dos

So yeah, outside of a Secret Power + Headbutt paraflinch set (or Hyper Beam) this was the best I could come up with

@ Salamenceite
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake/Roost

Introducing SubDD MegaMence. Ive had quite a lot of success with this guy myself. So why Sub? Well for starters, MegaMence is a big STATUS ME sign, and sub can prevent WOWs and random Twaves from happening. It also helps scout for Ice Beams and HP Ices on pokes that can carry them but dont always. Adamant is chosen for Maximum power, along with max attack EVS. The speed EVs can be moved to HP, but speed is better since you only need to setup 1 DD to get going. Return since its reliable, Facade isn't needed since Sub blocks status, and Double-Edge + Sub means you get worn down 2 fast. EQ is preffered in the last slot for near perfect coverage with Return, but Roost is nice so that you can make more Subs.
Isn't this thread about coming up with interesting, new set of pokemon? Sub ddance is really common tbh. Sorry if i'm wrong

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yah I'm closing off submissions early, I jumped the gun with mega mence. I assumed it would be a cool mon for the week because of the fact that it could viably run both a special and physical set, didn't actually look in the team builder at its movepool. So sorry for that. At this point there are only like one or two alright sets to submit so I'm opening up voting.
tl;dr time to vote early

cantsay

voting for NOVED I've seen that set of salamence and I'm pretty sure you got the idea when you were battling, but it really works against certain teams

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, this short week is a tie between NOVED and cant say!

I actually looked through the movepool this time and this weeks subject is:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, this short week is a tie between NOVED and cant say!

I actually looked through the movepool this time and this weeks subject is:
Heh, very funny you bring up this mon, we were talking about Mega Alakazam in battlespot on #Pokemon recently :P

Don't have time to really think of a really cool set because of a homework assignment thats due soon, but here is what we sorta came up with in #Pokemon (very unrefined set obviously)

Mega Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Encore / Calm Mind
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Focus Blast

The main thing we talked about in #Pokemon was the idea of Mega Alakazam using Mega Kangaskhan's parental bond to wreck stuff. Encore on switches into Sucker Punch to neuter Mega Kangaskhan, and plus Encore screws up other stuff too if they set up. With a Substitute, Sucker Punch from Mega Kangaskhan wont OHKO Mega Alakazam, which sounds cool. Alternately, you could nix Encore and go with Substitute + Calm Mind, which could give Mega Alakazam better sweeping potential I guess. Encore sounds really cool with that base speed though, so I'd take advantage of that. Hell, maybe you could even get rid of Substitute if you're confident in your abilities to handle priority...

Psyshock / Psychic and Focus Blast are just standard offensive moves on Alakazam.

Ares

Urgh, wanted to post votes but no one has posted a set besides Theorymon, cant say don't john me now.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Future Sight
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Future Sight is a really cool move to lure in opposing Pokemon. The opponent tends to forget about Future Sight and it will allow you to take out or heavily damage unsuspecting Pokemon. You use it as they switch in their Psychic-type resist, then as you switch into something to threaten that they forget about the Future Sight. On the next turn when they switch out something else takes heavy damage either KOing it or putting it in range for another member on your team to hit.

Alakazam @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psycho Shift
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast

Well I'm not sure if we're allowed to post non mega alakazam this week but oh well im doing it anyway lol

This set uses Flame Orb + Psycho Shift to cripple some physical attackers that might think alakazam is an easy target. And thanks to handy dandy magic guard you don't get any damage from the burn. You lose out on sash which kinda blows but hey now you're immune to sleep ;) Calm Mind was put on the set just cause i like calm mind and you might come across more opportunities to use it when facing a burned physical attacker. Even with burns though alakazam is still rather frail. So you won't usually be able to set up more than 1 calm mind(but sometimes 1 is enough to do good damage anyway). The burn spreading is intended to benefit the rest of your team more so, by crippling threatening pokemon.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well with Psycho Shift Zam gone, I'm gonna post an old 1v1 set that I think could work in 3v3

(thanks for stealing the Conquest art Mont)

Alakazam @ Rocky Helmet
Timid Nature
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
- Protect / Substitute
- Disable
- Encore
- Recover / Psychic / Psyshock

So in 1v1 the idea was to lock the opponent into a Disabled move so that they kill themselves with Struggle + Rocky Helmet recoil. Recover is there incase the opponent manages to avoid being Encored into the disabled move so you can (hopefully) out-heal their efforts and whittle them down with recoil. It's also handy to use while the opponent switches out, as there's nothing stopping them from switching after you Encore them into their Disabled move (and there's no reason to stay in after that), for this reason, Entry Hazard support would prove quite helpful! (Especially since Talonflame avoids your antics with priority Brave Bird but hates Stealth Rock).

I can't really provide calcs on this since it isn't an offensive set. I suppose the defensive calcs should be from things that can avoid being Encored into their Disabled move. Aegislash is annoying since Shadow Ball will OHKO, and he can hit with Shadow Sneak after you Disable Shadow Ball. Things with powerful dual-STABs are also threats as they can go for one as you Protect, then the other as you Disable, effectively neutering you in the process (so stuff like Garchomp etc.)

So yeah, this set isn't super viable but I thought it's fun enough to post :)

Alakazam @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect

- Psychic / Psyshock
- Filler (Encore, Focus Miss, Taunt, Shadow Ball, etc.)

Typical dual screens setter, but with Alakazam. It's a great user of dual screens due to it's high speed, allowing it to set up at least one screen before it faints. Psychic is used to hit M-Venu harder if it's physically defensive, and Psyshock is good for special walls and specially defensive M-Venu (which is kinda rare imo). Typically any viable move can be run in the last slot, it depends on what support your team needs. EVs are put into HP and Speed, but if you feel Alakazam can't take hits even with screens up, or just want more offensive from it, you can dump the EVs from HP into SpA. Dual Screens are very effective in the singles meta, considering that no one really carries around Defog in 3v3 and they pretty much last for a whole match with Light Clay. Not going to provide any calcs for this since this Alakazam's main goal is to set up screens and basically die so another poke can take advantage of the additional bulk from screens.

Ares

And with that, its time to:

votes in bold pls
Pedro

Actually voting for Theorymon

Voting for Montesgur here. Future Sight is a really underrated move imo.

EDIT: Dammit, Alakazam gets Safeguard? That would've been a great last move to put in >_<

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I'm voting for NOVED because Psycho Shift is really cool (think 100% acc Will-O-Wisp). I also like Dual Screens Zam, if Creeper had written Safeguard in that last slot I would have voted (why didn't I nom that set?), then you can send in something that's bulky AF and can't be statused, prime opportunity for a set up sweeper

I like the Napoleon Dynamite

I'm gonna go with Montesgur
I feel like future sight probably has decent potential coming off that high SpA

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mont

tbh I don't really like support Zam sets as they seem unnecessarily frail a lot of the time and Mega Alakazam is such an amazing special attacker that it feels like a waste. Also Future Sight is cool af :p

Tmon's is cool too tho and that would be my vote if you guys were scrubs and the whole slate was support sets :p

Last edited:
Theorymon i really like this set cause it deals with alakazam its frailty! Even without tracing parental bond the combi of a fast encore and substitute seems really cool!

Theorymon, I tested out a Protect variant as a scouting lead tied with some bulkier mons for swtich-ins. I liked it, wasn't perfect, but he had potential.

I wanted to submit a moveset but forgot to.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Noved

The set sounds a bit risky (though to be honest I think using Alakazam in general could qualifiy as risky lol), but Psycho Shift sounds like one of those surprise "clutch moves" that can totally change the course of a match. In particular, it sounds like something that would OWN Mega Kangaskhan, and overconfident Mega Mawile switch-ins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)