Ability: Lightning Rod -> Intimidate
Item: Manectite
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpDef
Nature: Timid/Modest
- Thunder Wave
- Electro Ball
- Flamethrower / Magnet Rise
- Magnet Rise / HP Ice

Utilising it's incredible speed stat and the move Electro Ball, this monster is a force to be reckoned with. First off, Thunder Wave. This move makes it so the opposition (unless it's an Electric or Ground Type Pokemon or has Lightning Rod, etc) gets is speed cut to 25%. It also makes it so the opponent has a 25% chance of being parahaxed. In addition to making it slower, Electro Ball bases its power entirely on the difference between MegaManectric and the opposition. Thunder Wave would boost the power by loads as you're reducing the opponent's speed, thus powering up electro Ball. Flamethrower is a great coverage move, same with HP ice (If you're going to run it.) Finally, Magnet Rise can be used over flamethrower or HP Ice to make Manectric's immune to it's only weakness, possibly making it so it lives longer to hit more things :] So yeah, Manectric.

Last edited:
I must admit as someone who's used Manectric on battle spot I have no clue where to go with it when it comes to being creative. Manectric's worst enemies are Excadrill, Hippowdon and Swampert, followed up by Garchomp. HP Ice has a high chance to OHKO Garchomp when Timid but it doesn't always, the same is true for Excadrill with Overheat, and items usually get in the way (both are fans of scarf and sash). Anyway, I have no clue where to go in a creative direction because Hippowdon and Swamp don't care about Magnet Rise at all since they just spam Yawn, although Garchomp does mind. I'll try anyway, though.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Charge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

One of Manectric's greatest moves is Volt Switch so I slapped it on there. Volt Switch allows you to come in on the opponent later like 400 times and get off a ton of Intimid8s, plus it also allows Manectric to avoid getting wrecked by the opponent, unless said opponent is a ground type or has Volt Absorb Rod or something. Anyway, Charge might work well with Intimidate (at least, it does so on paper). With its Defense being improved by Intimidate and its SpDef by Charge, Manectric should survive one turn hopefully unless the opponent has a scary ground type or something. Then Thunderbolt's power is doubled the next turn so it becomes rather hard to switch in on (don't stay in on ground types, friends). HP Ice is for the unfortunate few who are double weak to Ice (this means you, Garchomp!). I mourn the lack of Overheat since it really is a useful move, but it is a worthy sacrifice. I wanted to fit sub on here to stop those annoying yawners but I personally thought Volt Switch superior (same thing w/ Overheat).

By way of trolling, you can run Static (or worse still... Minus) to annoy things with Trace. I have used Porygon2 before and switched in on Manectric only to trace Static. However, I find Lightningrod preferable. 4 SpDef EVs on Manectric are to specifically annoy Download P2.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Eerie Impulse
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This Manectric set is a different spin on the standard pivot set, in that it attempts to force switches against opposing special attackers with Eerie Impulse and proceed to either grab momentum with Volt Switch, or catch a Ground-type switch-in with Hidden Power [Ice]. For the uninitiated, Eerie Impulse is a status move that drops the opponent's Special Attack by two stages; this synergises well with Intimidate in terms of allowing Manectric and it's teammates to take hits and allows for plenty of opportunities to get free damage off.

@ Manectite
Shiny:Dosent matter
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Set up Rain and then spam 100% accurate Thunders. Thunder also has a 30% chance to paralayze, which is much better than TBolt's 10%/. Setting up rain also help with the team itself, mostly in that you no longer need to use Poiltoed to set up rain, so you can have Swift Swim/Hurricane/Manectric on your individual team. And early the only thing your losing out is Fire coverage, but BoltBeam is good enough tbh. Volt Switch for easy momentum, and is quite deadly if you can use it to get in a Rain abuser fast. Oh and Lightning Rod also gets you free switch ins to common waters you will have in Rain so that always nice.

also F3rrothorn screws over this set so dont use it plz

Last edited:
Reactions: PPB

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm guest hosting this while Montsegur is busy! Namdachu ran away with the votes this week with his set that combined both the Thunder Wave + Electro Ball combo and the utility move Magnet Rise to stop the Ground Types that would be immune to Thunder Wave (you would probably want Hidden Power Ice over Flamethrower then, but that's just me).

This week we'll be focusing on a new Mega Evolution that I believe should see me love, it's Latios! What cool sets do you see being usable on this guy?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does it have to be mega? :L
Not at all, that's why I didn't specifically say Mega in the post, but the fact that it can use both formes effeciently makes for a good nominee I think. It would be cool to see some Mega Latios sets since it's new and all, but there are so many things he can do, I want to see people get creative

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so apparently Latios' most common set is Choice Specs, which doesn't surprise me in the least (Specs Draco Meteor stings) but I can see Choice Scarf, Light Clay and Life Orb in the stats as well. Just so people have an idea of what's actually used n.n

>Soul Dew (Latios) @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 108 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Refresh / Roost

Mega Latios has actually got pretty decent bulk and a nice 130 Attack stat, making a Dragon Dance set viable. It's fairly outclassed by Mega Salamence, but it has one or two draws that make it usable: firstly, unlike Mega Salamence, it can legally use Refresh, meaning that it can continue to boost in front of Pokémon like Cresselia that think they've neutralised it, and then pull Refresh out and sweep. Secondly, it has a greater Speed in its base form than Salamence does, meaning that it can set up on more things during its first turn on the field. It's slower afterwards, but that first turn can make all the difference in forcing out things like non-scarf Garchomp and Terrakion to grab a boost. Thirdly, Latios is commonly seen as a special attacker, so a surprise physical move can really throw Pokémon like Chansey. Fourthly, if Latios runs Earthquake, it can lure Heatran for its Steel-type teammates, whereas Mega Salamence is known to commonly run Earthquake and therefore Heatran users will exercise more caution around it. The EV spread is a little thing that I just made that keeps Latios from ever being 3HKOed by Cresselia's Ice Beam, and removes any chance that Volcarona has of OHKOing from full with Bug Buzz. The leftover Speed EVs outspeed 252+ base 150s at +1. Clutching at straws a little here because Mega Salamence can do almost everything better than Mega Latios ;~;

Last edited:
Okay, so apparently Latios' most common set is Choice Specs, which doesn't surprise me in the least (Specs Draco Meteor stings) but I can see Choice Scarf, Light Clay and Life Orb in the stats as well. Just so people have an idea of what's actually used n.n

Latios @ Latiosite
EVs: 108 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Refresh / Roost

Mega Latios has actually got pretty decent bulk and a nice 130 Attack stat, making a Dragon Dance set viable. It's fairly outclassed by Mega Salamence, but it has one or two draws that make it usable: firstly, unlike Mega Salamence, it can legally use Refresh, meaning that it can continue to boost in front of Pokémon like Cresselia that think they've neutralised it, and then pull Refresh out and sweep. Secondly, it has a greater Speed in its base form than Salamence does, meaning that it can set up on more things during its first turn on the field. It's slower afterwards, but that first turn can make all the difference in forcing out things like non-scarf Garchomp and Terrakion to grab a boost. Thirdly, Latios is commonly seen as a special attacker, so a surprise physical move can really throw Pokémon like Chansey. Fourthly, if Latios runs Earthquake, it can lure Heatran for its Steel-type teammates, whereas Mega Salamence is known to commonly run Earthquake and therefore Heatran users will exercise more caution around it. The EV spread is a little thing that I just made that keeps Latios from ever being 3HKOed by Cresselia's Ice Beam, and removes any chance that Volcarona has of OHKOing from full with Bug Buzz. The leftover Speed EVs outspeed 252+ base 150s at +1. Clutching at straws a little here because Mega Salamence can do almost everything better than Mega Latios ;~;
Braah, Life Orb Latios is most common :D And I don't see specs as much anymore, it's usually Life Orb or Scarf :P

Anyways, on my favourite legendary: Latios. I couldn't think of any Mega-Latios innovative sets as Ethan already posted ;-; So I came up with an original (probably?) set for Latios, and here it is!

Pokemon: Latios
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef
Nature: Timid
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
- Luster Purge

Basically, Luster Purge is a move that has a 50% chance of decreasing your opposition's Special Defense by 1 Stage. With this move, you can really break down walls, making it easier for the rest of your team to clean up. So yeah, Luster Purge has 70BP, enough power to OHKO a lot of mons such as Breloom, Jolly Megacross, Gengar, etc, which is enough. And if a mon tries to switch into this, it's special defense will decrease, making it easier for Latios with it's great coverage to kill the mon, which is great n_n Dragon Pulse is weaker than Draco Meteor, but Draco will continuously decrease it's special attack by two stages, which is meant for the Standard Latios set which just nukes and switches out, whereas Dragon Pulse ha sperfect accuracy and won't drop your special attack and it has decent BP as well. You can run HP Fire cause yannoe, Scizor's/Ferro's are annoying :>n_n Roost to restore HP because of the Life Orb Recoil which is good for making it easier to sweep. You can run Leftovers for further recovery if you want as well. This is my Latios set, thanks for reading! n_n

~Nam

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Braah, Life Orb Latios is most common :D And I don't see specs as much anymore, it's usually Life Orb or Scarf :P
Well according to the PGL, Specs is used on 63.1%, which Scarf on 13.8% and Life Orb on 6.1%, so I think it's very safe to say that Specs is the overwhelmingly popular item choice. Remember, we're focusing on the 3DS ladder, not PS!

Also due to this, Hidden Power Fighting is illegal on ORAS league Latios due to how legendaries caught in XY and ORAS having at least three 31 IVs and HP fighting needs 5-6 even IV values...

Luster Purge is sure to satisfy the fanboys since it's a signature move and all. I actually forgot about the SpD drop that it can give since I've only used it in-game for fun, it's an interesting idea

Braah, Life Orb Latios is most common :D
For future reference, go here and scroll down lol

Also, here's my thing:

Latios (M) @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Not sure if this is popular on the screens set or not, didn't see it in the top 10 moves so I couldn't really judge but i haven't come across it myself. Tailwind is used in addition with screens just to further support whatever comes in after latios. So you have dual screens up and you'll most likely be faster than anything you're against if EV'd properly. Having tailwind, you might not want to get both screens up in favor for it, which isnt a bad thing. Some mons will still 2hko latios through screens so you might just get up one screen then tailwind and that could still be sufficient enough for your other pokemon. You just have to play it by the situation and judge what is more valuable, screens or tailwind.

And I didn't bother putting EVs into HP or anything because screens will allow you to live most shit anyway and this is literally meant to be a suicide lead so having a stronger draco is much more useful.

Last edited:
Also due to this, Hidden Power Fighting is illegal on ORAS league Latios due to how legendaries caught in XY and ORAS having at least three 31 IVs and HP fighting needs 5-6 even IV values...]
Actually while this is true, unless it's been updated, HP Fighting technically passes the sub-par hack checks. I saw a video of a Cresselia in ORAS league BS doubles using HP fighting (not that it should be recommended).

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually while this is true, unless it's been updated, HP Fighting technically passes the sub-par hack checks. I saw a video of a Cresselia in ORAS league BS doubles using HP fighting.
We still don't encourage hacking on Smogon, even if we can't get caught. And the PGL staff has retroactively removed hackers from the ladder rankings even after the season has ended, so I'd still say not to mention it.

Hmm; I wanted to suggest Draco Meteor/Swagger/T-Wave/Memento LO Latios, but I think I'll leave that for someone else. For now, I'll try to come up with something else for Mega Latios:

Latios-Mega @ Latiosite
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Zen Headbutt/ Dragon Claw/ Outrage
- Wonder Room
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

A bit of a gimmicky set. One of the very few things that DD Latios has that Salamence does not is Wonder Room (There aren't many reasons to use Mega Latios unless you want to go mixed or use DD). The maximized special bulk and Roost should give Latios the opportunity to set up, and the ability to switch its bulk from special to physical with Wonder Room should (on paper, at least) provide more opportunities. Furthermore it can allow Latios to hit physical walls, such as Gliscor, off their weaker special defense. Very little speed investment is used since Latios is already decently fast at +1 (The 28 EVS allow it to outspeed max speed positive natured base 130s, like M-Gengar and Jolteon). DD helps you switch defenses before the opponent attacks, and it can also help you get a flinch with Zen Headbutt. If your team is good at taking out fairies, you can use Dragon Claw or Outrage as your attacking move instead.

For future reference, go here and scroll down lol

Also, here's my thing:

Latios (M) @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Not sure if this is popular on the screens set or not, didn't see it in the top 10 moves so I couldn't really judge but i haven't come across it myself. Tailwind is used in addition with screens just to further support whatever comes in after latios. So you have dual screens up and you'll most likely be faster than anything you're against if EV'd properly. Having tailwind, you might not want to get both screens up in favor for it, which isnt a bad thing. Some mons will still 2hko latios through screens so you might just get up one screen then tailwind and that could still be sufficient enough for your other pokemon. You just have to play it by the situation and judge what is more valuable, screens or tailwind.

And I didn't bother putting EVs into HP or anything because screens will allow you to live most shit anyway and this is literally meant to be a suicide lead so having a stronger draco is much more useful.
Sorry, used to seeing LO Latios a lot in OU, didn't know about the global link thing xD

Well according to the PGL, Specs is used on 63.1%, which Scarf on 13.8% and Life Orb on 6.1%, so I think it's very safe to say that Specs is the overwhelmingly popular item choice. Remember, we're focusing on the 3DS ladder, not PS!

Also due to this, Hidden Power Fighting is illegal on ORAS league Latios due to how legendaries caught in XY and ORAS having at least three 31 IVs and HP fighting needs 5-6 even IV values...

Luster Purge is sure to satisfy the fanboys since it's a signature move and all. I actually forgot about the SpD drop that it can give since I've only used it in-game for fun, it's an interesting idea
Oh, and didn't know about the HP Fighting thing being illegal, sorry.

Didn't know this was on the ingame battles either, so yeah :<

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, used to seeing LO Latios a lot in OU, didn't know about the global link thing xD

Oh, and didn't know about the HP Fighting thing being illegal, sorry.

Didn't know this was on the ingame battles either, so yeah :<
Don't sweat it too much man, but yeah while it might seem like "OU with only half a team" at first, 3v3 is very much its own metagame. Things like Kangaskhan or Aegislash are always gonna be good no matter where they are, but the little details like best natures, moves, or items are gonna have some important differences. Tyranitar most commonly uses Jolly Choice Scarf in OU for example, but in 3v3 Adamant Lum Berry is the generally better option (for non-mega sets).

We're getting off topic though, so I'll just stop here!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)