(Singles) The Next Best Thing [Current Subject: Heatran] ~ NOMINATIONS ~

i have an idea for single battle non-mega venesaur.
what about a defensive growth set for him

drain tank growthsaur
Venusaur @ Black Sludge/ Big Root
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpA
Sassy Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake/Hidden power fire

essentially this set focuses on drain tanking
the first step is to force a switch against a positive match up
set up a growth on switch ins and start attacking after +1 growth
the ev spread i use is to tank both sides of the attack types and the rest into spatk for more drain.
tank the opposing hit and attempt to drain their hp away.
it has enough bulk to survive neural stab attacks at full hp
overgrow gives the necessary power to giga drain
other two attacks are pretty much for coverage
i use eq for the atk bonus from growths
it is pretty interesting and fun for me to use for battle spot.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
incoming votes and my lame set:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite (or Black Sludge maybe)
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Toxic / Synthesis
- Venoshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake / Synthesis / Giga Drain

So I've been interested in Venoshock as a move in general since it hits a pretty tasty base power (130) against a poisoned target. I know two uses of Sludge Bomb is more efficient than using Toxic then Venoshock (180BP versus 130 + the toxic damage) but I like to think if you paired this guy with a Toxic Spikes setter than you could just go for Venoshock straight away! (hence Synthesis as an option over Toxic). I thought about a defensive set of Black Sludge with Toxic, Protect, Synthesis and Venoshock to finish off but defense is boring and then you lose to steel types.. Which brings me to Hidden Power Fire and Earthquake, the former is for Steels like Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory and stuff, whereas Earthquake is almost exclusively for Heatran (and weird stuff that you don't see like Magnezone, Empoleon and Probopass, lol). You can swap it for anything you want really. Chlorophyll so you can take advantage of enemy sun if there is any, and you don't have any grass moves to utilise Overgrow anyway...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VOTING TIME​

Here's what's up this time:
Remember to bold the name of the person you're voting for (without tagging) and try provide the reason you like the set you're voting for!

I'm voting for NOVED's Swords Dance set. Mega Venusaur's attack stat is quite modest, but after a Swords Dance boost will actually hit quite hard, especially when you have two strong physical moves to spam. You still struggle against opposing Flying-, Bug- and Grass-types though, but who leaves Venusaur in against them anyway?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mr Mime Mania

This set is hilarious but it could actually work, especially given how amazing Mega Venusaur is as a blanket check. I'd probably swap Growth for either Leech Seed or another coverage move, however, as this set would be good for removing troublesome Pokémon and allowing its teammates to sweep, rather than trying to boost itself. Block + Sleep Powder is off the wall but really cool so there's my vote n_n

Never listening to the "dealing with Talonflame thing again."

I like these interesting sets, so I'm placing my vote for Mr Mime Maina because Mega Venusaur can put a surprise / stop on some teams introducing them to Block. Mega Venusaur can induce them with Sleep Powder and begin to set up from there. It is nice because it'll require a Pokemon with Shed Shell, phazing, or pivot moves to escape. Feels like to me it is another Shadow Tag except you have to waste a turn to use Block. Well Ghost-types are not affected by it, but I'm sure that Mega Venusaur can probably get around that nicely.

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for sharing these creative sets everyone! o/
Whatever happened to the Double Team + Leech Seed set btw?

Anyways my vote goes to: cant say

The set has awesome coverage against Steel and the extra damage from Venoshock can be nice especially if your team is a defensive one where it relies on wearing down the opponent’s team with poison.

I would love to pair this Venusaur with Chansey and Gliscor, both could help spread poison with Toxic/Fling and stall with Protect.
Gliscor is there to deal with Flying/Fire types with Rock + STAB EQ, and Chansey will soak up any unappreciated hits, while both Venusaur + Gliscor can take Fighting moves and Knock Off.
One thing this lineup has to watch out for is probably Mega Gyarados, especially those who carry Taunt.

Im voting for mr mime mania, because venusaur , especially this set with the slow boosting move growth and lower accuracy move sleep powder, is a pokemon that needs some time before it can be effective, and while it is extremely bulky, it can set up most efficient against certain pokemon, and i think block is able to deal with this sufficiently.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks like the winner is Mr Mime Mania! I personally would have liked it better it it was a Toxic Trapper, but boosting while the opponent is asleep is cool too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Onto the next Pokemon. We're going to be looking at one of the starter Pokemon from XY; Greninja! This guy has always been good, seeing steady use in the XY meta, but has only gotten better in the transition to ORAS with the Move Tutors gifting him Gunk Shot and Low Kick. Greninja is able to dish out plenty of hurt on a lot of the meta, the extent of which is only limited by which four moves it actually chooses to run! Perhaps his biggest downfall is his frailty, which leaves him vulnerable to bulky Pokemon that he cannot 1-2HKO, or being revenge killed by priority / scarfers. That aside, it can be very tricky to switch into Greninja without being 2HKO'd, and making sure you have something that can reliably deal with it is important.

Stallbreaker Greninja

has anyone thought using stall breaker greninja?

Greninja @ Leftovers
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Scald
- Spikes/Icy Wind/Rock Tomb
- U-turn/Hidden power [any type]

Greninja can run a stall breaking set as well though he lacks bulk, recovery, and will-o-wisp. He makes up for utility and grabbing momentum with a nice movepool and protean. Taunt is needed for shutting down status users. Scald is like will-o-wisp and stab move at the same time and the other two moves is used for utility depending on what your team needs.
- U-turn for momentum
- Spikes for hazard stacking
- Icy wind/Rock Tomb for speed control
- Hidden power hits decently and can play mind games

Last edited:
Greninja @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
- Dive

Wanted to post something that's really different from the normal greninja. Couldn't really think of much that would be effective and different from the usual all out attacker set. So I came up with this, it's pretty gimmicky but it looks kinda fun lol. Basically its just a toxic staller. Toxic does what toxic do. Greninja is pretty fast to abuse substitute with. Protect and Dive are just to stall out turns even more.

chuckaboomboom

I believe I can HM02
Greninja @ Power Herb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SpDef)
- Bounce
- Dig
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam / Hydro Pump / Dark Pulse

Greninja is normally shut down by Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Venusaur. This set's purpose is to surprise the aforementioned Pokemon. With an attack boosting nature, Greninja does 80% to zard X with Dig, 75% to offensive mega Venusaur with Bounce, and picks up the KO onto zard Y with Rock Slide. Although this set can't KO zard X and Venusaur, it puts them into KO range for teammates. Power Herb is necessary so that Bounce and Dig don't need to take a turn charging up (or the opponent will just switch). Ice Beam is used in the last slot so that Greninja is not dead weight if the opponent does not have / no longer has mega zard x / zard y / venu. Alternatively, Hydro Pump or Dark Pulse can be used in the last slot. Finally, Greninja sorely misses a speed boosting nature, but an attack boosting nature is necessary for damage output. Greninja is speedy enough that it does its job well even without a speed boosting nature.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Greninja @ Power Herb
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SpDef)
- Bounce
- Dig
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam / Hydro Pump / Dark Pulse

Greninja is normally shut down by Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Venusaur. This set's purpose is to surprise the aforementioned Pokemon. With an attack boosting nature, Greninja does 80% to zard X with Dig, 75% to offensive mega Venusaur with Bounce, and picks up the KO onto zard Y with Rock Slide. Although this set can't KO zard X and Venusaur, it puts them into KO range for teammates. Power Herb is necessary so that Bounce and Dig don't need to take a turn charging up (or the opponent will just switch). Ice Beam is used in the last slot so that Greninja is not dead weight if the opponent does not have / no longer has mega zard x / zard y / venu. Alternatively, Hydro Pump or Dark Pulse can be used in the last slot. Finally, Greninja sorely misses a speed boosting nature, but an attack boosting nature is necessary for damage output. Greninja is speedy enough that it does its job well even without a speed boosting nature.
If you want a way to get past those guys you could still go with the specially inclined set and not resort to one-time use Power Herb.

nb: this is not my set nomination, I'll be back to post that later (unless someone happens to snipe it, lol)

Greninja @ Life Orb
EV: 4 HP / 4 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam / Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power Ground / Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory
- Rock Slide / Rock Tomb

So instead of Bounce you can hit Venu with Extrsensory, your Rock move is for Char-Y (Rock Tomb also OHKOs and has the cool speed drop side affect for other mons). HP Ground is for Char-X and stuff Heatran, Aegislash and stuff that otherwise wall you, however for the purposes of bopping Char-X you can drop it for Dark Pulse and just run Rock Slide since HP Ground only has a chance to OHKO non-bulky Zard, whereas Rock Slide picks up the 2HKO... Damage calcs are similar to what the Power Herb achieves, maybe even a bit better, and allows a +speed nature too. I went Hasty for Download P2...

• 248 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Mega Venusaur: 125-148 (66.8 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 265-317 (173.2 - 207.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 218-255 (142.4 - 166.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 248 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 133-156 (86.9 - 101.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 101-120 (65.5 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Rock Tomb vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 81-96 (52.5 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Greninja @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

The whole point of this set is to smack something with the most powerful Hydro Pump Greninja can muster. If you can't OHKO your opponent with any of your moves, sub until Petaya kicks in and get a Torrent (yes, Torrent...) boost in the meantime, multiplying your Hydro Pump's power by 2.25! Dark Pulse is there for secondary STAB, and Ice Beam can hit a lot of threats for super-effective damage despite the fact that this sad frog doesn't have Protean.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

Basically standard Greninja with Spikes as a fourth move. With Gunk Shot, Greninja's coverage is good enough that it can be more or less compressed to just these three moves - so, it can afford to use a utility move. I've chosen Spikes as not only is it a useful entry hazard in a format where almost all of the relevant Focus Sash holders are grounded (Breloom. Garchomp. Mamoswine.), but that it changes Greninja's typing to something with an actually relevant immunity. With Spikes, Greninja can surprise Thunder Wave users not named Klefki and Thundurus-I (Klefki completely walls this set :c ) and blocks Specs Electric-types that are looking to pivot out on Greninja with Volt Switch, like Raikou, Thundurus-T and Rotom-Wash. It also sets up an entry hazard which is nice for punishing switching :]

Greninja @ Life Orb
Nature: Hasty
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick / U-turn / Snatch

I tried my best on this one. I decided to take another route and use physical Greninja instead with most of its physical attacking moves just with the exception of Ice Beam because of Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Salamence. (pretty much this set I used in the past a few months ago for fun switching up between a few moves. In my opinion, it isn't good, nor is it bad. It's "okay.") I actually feel like voting now to get this over with haha. Anyway I'll get started with explaining the set. Life Orb gives Greninja a 1.3 extra power in all of its attacks in dealing more damage into its foes. Protean is the chosen ability because it allows Greninja to gain STAB in all of its moves. The chosen EV spread with a Hasty nature maximizes Greninja's physical damage output and Speed, outpacing many foes such as base 100s. Waterfall is a nice move for Greninja to deal with Fire-types such as Heatran, Blaziken, and Arcanine. Ice Beam can be used to get rid of Flying-, Ground-, and Dragon-types such as Landorus-T, Zapdos, Hydregion, and Mega Salamence. Gunk Shot despite its bad accuracy, allows Greninja to hit Fairy- and Grass-types for super effective damage such as Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, Clefable, Azumarill, and Serperior. The last moveslot is between Low Kick, U-turn and Snatch. Low Kick can be used to hit Normal-, Dark-, Ice-, and Steel-types such as Chansey, Bisharp, Weavile, and Ferrothorn. U-turn can be used for scouting while damaging the foe. Lastly, I actually enjoyed Snatch from Greninja for my own entertainment, but I didn't think it'll work. Thundurus isn't affected by it tbh. It can just destroy Greninja.

I just find this to be a funny gimmicky move such as when I stole Mega Lucario's Swords Dance. Able to steal Scolipede's Substitute. Got hazards on the opponent's side of the field from Skarmory.

Physical Greninja can deal a lot of damage. I'll add calcs later.

This a set that always come thru for me all the time

Greninja (M) @ Focus Sash
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

This pokemon over here does damage in Battle Spot Singles. I used this set all time since I made this set because it almost never fails me. Anyway I think this set is the next big thing in my opinion.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 12 Atk / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse / Grass Knot / Gunk Shot / U-Turn / Hydro Pump / Rock Slide / Water Shuriken / Extrasensory

This Greninja is designed to take down at least two members of the Dragonite/ Hippowdon/ Special M Lucario core OHKOing most Dragonite and Hippowdon with Ice Beam. Shadow Sneak allows Greninja to dodge a Vacuum Wave from M Lucario and folluw up with a KO using Low Kick. The EVs allow Greninja to survive CB Extreme Speed from Dragonite + One turn of sand + One LO recoil 100% of the time, and let Greninja OHKO a 4 HP Dragonite 100% of the time. The last moveslot should be chosen based on your own teams weaknesses, but Grass Knot can also kill almost any Hippowdon (62.5% chance to OHKO specially defensive Hippowdon).

Calcs
228 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 218-260 (101.3 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
228 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 172-203 (102.9 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
12 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 32-40 (21.9 - 27.3%) -- 52.9% chance to 4HKO
12 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 133-156 (91 - 106.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 12 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 105-124 (70.4 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 12 Atk / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse / Grass Knot / Gunk Shot / U-Turn / Hydro Pump / Rock Slide / Water Shuriken / Extrasensory

This Greninja is designed to take down at least two members of the Dragonite/ Hippowdon/ Special M Lucario core OHKOing most Dragonite and Hippowdon with Ice Beam. Shadow Sneak allows Greninja to dodge a Vacuum Wave from M Lucario and folluw up with a KO using Low Kick. The EVs allow Greninja to survive CB Extreme Speed from Dragonite + One turn of sand + One LO recoil 100% of the time, and let Greninja OHKO a 4 HP Dragonite 100% of the time. The last moveslot should be chosen based on your own teams weaknesses.

Calcs
228 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 218-260 (101.3 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
228 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 172-203 (102.9 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
12 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 32-40 (21.9 - 27.3%) -- 52.9% chance to 4HKO
12 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 133-156 (91 - 106.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 12 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 105-124 (70.4 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Them Calcs. You were ready to take down this core.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)