Skarmory [4N] - Torment Spiker

I've never seen/heard of a Dual Screen set Magnezone before, I was unaware that he actually learned screens. I guess it's a worthy addition to that small section though, thanks.

It's been posted here in the C&C before, and I think it was going to be put up soon. I've found it to be pretty effective myself.

EDIT: It's already up on the site :)

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
Name: Torment Spiker
Move 1: Torment
Move 2: Protect
Move 3: Spikes
Move 4: Roost / Taunt / Whirlwind
Nature: Impish
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Leftovers / Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Spe / 240 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In GSC and ADV play, Skarmory was often hailed as the best physical wall, because it had great typing and a gigantic 140 Base Defense. In DPP play however, Skarmory finds competition in Gliscor, Hippowdon and Forretress for being the best physical wall. This set separates itself from the other physical walls, because it can setup on many common switch-ins to these walls, including Infernape and Gengar.</p>

<p>The idea of this set is to come in on Pokemon that Skarmory usually walls (Metagross and Swampert, for example) and use Torment as they switch-in to their Skarmory counter. Skarmory can use Protect while they use their super effective move, and use Spike while they are forced to use something else, thanks to Torment.</p>

<p>Roost is the best option in the 4th slot to give Skarmory a healing move. However, if you have another Pokemon with Wish to heal Skarmory on your team, Taunt could be used in place of Roost to screw with your opponent's Pokemon even further. It can screw with Pokemon including Blissey and DDTar, and prevent them from setting up while you Spike. Taunt also stops Calm Mind users from walking over you and giving them a free set-up. Another decent option would be Whirlwind, which could do some major damage once three layers of Spikes are layed out, but it is not recommended as this set in particular focuses on setting up Spikes rather than team shuffling.</p>

<p>The EVs are pretty self explanatory, 252 HP allows you to take hits from attacks both physical and special, and is a given on most walls. 16 Speed are given to outrun 80 Speed Tyranitar and use Torment to PP stall it out of Stone Edge, which can be extremely helpful later in the match. 16 Speed also lets you outrun max speed Rhyperior. 240 Defense EVs are given so that you can take physical hits better.</p>

<p>While Leftovers is the recommended item to improve Skarmory's survivability, Shed Shell is also a viable alternative to escape from Magnezone. It should be noted that Skarmory can easily Torment lock Scarf Magnezone switch-ins and Spike with impunity. You should be aware that Magnet Rise and Dual Screen Magnezone will setup on you, especially if you don't have Taunt or Whirlwind.</p>

<p>While this set is effective by itself, it is best paired with a pokemon (somebody?) who can destroy or use to their advantage (such as that SubDDTar I suggested ya in your last RMT?) common Taunt users. Scarfed Tyranitar is a prime example of a teammate (again, somebody?) who can fill this position. It has the ability to defeat every common user of Taunt, including Gyarados and Heatran. Tyranitar also has the ability to generate a Sandstorm, which adds more effectiveness to this set. Another great partner for Skarmory is Blissey, they form the legendary "SkarmBliss" combo together. Blissey can soak up the special hits that Skarmory lures in so well and vice versa, all the while setting up Spikes. Swampert also makes a fine partner to this set, as it can switch into Stone Edges, Flamethrowers and Thunderbolts aimed at Skarmory. This set is even more annoying with Toxic Spikes, and as such it is (didn't make sense to me) highly recommended you play this set with them. Finally, playing this pokemon with a spin blocker could be beneficial, especially if played on stall. With the right support, this Skarmory becomes an impenetrable wall that will more than likely force a ragequit. </p>
I didn't like how you didn't mention that this set DESTROYS Choiced Mons, except ScarfZone. Because it does. Believe me, a LOT of people switch in their Heatran to Skarmory.

Great set, but as mentioned it loses to Taunt pretty single-handedly.

Just a very, very small nitpick. Use Keen Eye ability instead of Sturdy, because OHKO moves are banned, but accuracy lowering moves are not.

Substitute definitely deserves to be slashed in beside Protect. Substitute can be extremely helpful for Skarmory, as it helps it deal with major threats towards it, like Heatran and Magnezone. It's also a great scouting move to use and works well against faster Pokemon that are about to kill you (assuming you use Substitute as they switch in), like Jolteon or something. For example, here are two scenarios:

Skarmory used Substitute.
Magnezone was switched in.
Magnezone used Thunder Bolt.
Skarmory used Torment.
(if it's Choiced, it Struggles)

Heatran was switched in.
Heatran used Fire Blast.
Skarmory used Torment.
Heatran used Substitute.
Heatran used Fire Blast.
Skarmory used Spikes.
Heatran used Earth Power.
Heatran used Fire Blast.
Skarmory used Spikes/Roost.
Etc...

As you can see, Skarmory can outstall Heatran's Fire Blast and set up Spikes easily. Same goes for Magnezone, Skarmory can make it Struggle if it's a Choiced varient, outstall it, or set up a full layer of Spikes.

4 slashs seem too much (to me at least) could some active battlers test taunt,substitute,and whirlwind to see which 2 are most usefull

also fuzzip isn't using the same set as the one posted by lord liam (in his example his skamory outspeeds a heatran!)

skarmory outrunning heatran is insanely unlikely as most non scarf heatran run a +speed nature. I do however agree that Sub should be slashed with protect though as it helps against strategy of not using the move that beats skarm on protect.

I've never seen this used (probably because I haven't played in a while) but it looks pretty effective. I guess Torment has been underrated...

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This set is good (and I corrected the grammar), but the set comments do not explain the set well at all, and the writing, in general, is pretty poor.

If you can spend a while rewriting this in more detail (without transforming it into a novel), I will consider uploading it.

Stellar, you've probably seen by now that I'm not the best writer in the world. I'll try going through it again, I was pretty sure I made this up to standards.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Team options is lacking imo. Scarf Tyranitar handling a Gyarados isn't really the best idea. Also I think you should elaborate on how to handle set up sweepers, as it destroys this set.

its been a week since the last update so i will test this set over the weekend to find more teams options (unless someone does this sooner).

maybe allow a fellow smogonite to rewrite the comments would help, just a suggestion (P.S not voluntaring )

Some grammar suggestions
<p>In GSC and ADV play, Skarmory was often hailed as the best physical wall because it had great typing and a gigantic 140 base Defense. In DPP (removed "play", repetitive) however, Skarmory finds competition in Gliscor, Hippowdon, and Forretress for being the best physical wall. This set separates itself from the other physical walls because it can set up on many common switch-ins (removed "to these walls", unnecessary), including Infernape and Gengar.</p>
set up over set-up
<p>The idea of this set is to come in on Pokemon Skarmory usually walls (Metagross and Swampert, for example) and use Torment as they switch to their Skarmory counter. Skarmory can use Protect while they use their super effective move and then use Spikes while they are forced to use something else, thanks to Torment. It should be noted that this set absolutely destroys Choiced Pokemon.</p>
suggestion below, however Choiced should be capitalized in the same vein as Thunderbolted should be capitalized

<p>Roost is the best option in the fourth slot to give Skarmory a healing move. However, if you have another Pokemon with Wish to heal Skarmory on your team, Taunt can be used in place of Roost to screw with your opponent's Pokemon even further. It can mess with Pokemon like Blissey and DDTar, preventing them from setting up while you use Spikes. Taunt also stops Calm Mind users from walking over you and giving them a free set-up. Another decent option is Whirlwind, which can do some major damage once three layers of Spikes are out, but it is not recommended as this set in particular focuses on setting up Spikes rather than team shuffling. Finally, Substitute is a solid option for this set, as it allows you to beat Pokemon that will not use their super effective hit while you Protect.</p>
yes we can

I think the main rewriting needed to be done is in the explanation of the set's use. Instead of your current lines about Torment you should try something like

The idea of this set is to use Torment as your opponent switches to their Skarmory counter. Then simply Protect to block the opposing Pokemon's attack and be free to set up Spikes while your opponent is forced to switch attacks thanks to your Torment.

Hmm looks very interesting and innovative, and would definately work well tormenting a Scarf-Tran/Zone on the switch in forcing it to struggle on you, but what about a situation like this:

X Sends out Skarmory
y Sends out Z

y withdraws Z sends out Heatran (not Scarved)
Skarmory uses Torment

Skarmory uses Protect
Heatran use Fire Blast

Heatran uses Dragon Pulse
Skarmory uses Spikes

Skarmory uses Protect
Heatran uses Earth Power

Heatran uses Fire Blast
Skarmory is Thanksgiving Dinner

Something like that isnt too hard to do, and once the opponant figures out what your doing its not that hard just to work it till your roasting that bird up. I suppose you could switch in Blissey of course, but what if its Tyranitar who just keeps DDancing up on you while you protect and if its carrying Aqua Tail then not even Hippowdon is safe from its wrath. Other setupers can do similar to Skarmory without whirlwind.
This actually isn't such a bad situation, if they do use Earth Power on the turn you protect then you can be pretty much 99% assured they are using Fire Blast and switch to something that can take a Fire Blast easily. Skarmory is very easy to get in again later thanks to the 349857349579 resistances it has.

Additionally, if the Pokemon you switch to has Substitute / Protect (and that Substitute is only broken by one move on the Pokemon that is Tormented) then that Pokemon has a good chance to set up as well (for example Tormented HP Electric Vaporeon vs Sub DD Gyarados possibly with Bounce).

Thanks for the final few nitpicks. I think I've got everything good, I'll go through it a few more times to see if everything is good.

Looking at Earthworm's post, I think it would be worthwhile to add a paragraph talking about prediction should your opponent get used to your strategy.

Additionally, if the Pokemon you switch to has Substitute / Protect (and that Substitute is only broken by one move on the Pokemon that is Tormented) then that Pokemon has a good chance to set up as well (for example Tormented HP Electric Vaporeon vs Sub DD Gyarados possibly with Bounce).
This is a good rough example of the kind of thing I'm talking about. Another thing to add is that if you know your opponent has figured you out, instead of using Protect again, simply Spike as they Earth Power in anticipation of you Protecting, as an example, then Protect the next turn. At this point it'll just become a big prediction war and you'd probably be better just to switch out, however mentioning how to react to some scenarios is a really important addition to sets like this.

Substitute definitely deserves priority over Protect. Since most pokemons carry only 1 move to hit Skarmory, it can stall them all day long.

Gliscor should be noted as a common taunt user. A taunt/SD/baton pass set could be especially dangerous. Taunt+UTurn, a common lead set, would also cause problems, as they UTurn on your switch, gaining an advantage.

I think Kingdra should be noted as a good teammate. He's a good switch in to fireblast and a sub/dd set could wreak havoc when paired with this skarm. He would also appreciate the entry hazards, as Kingdras fatal flaw seems to be barely missing KOs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)