Skarmory (Analysis)

Counter-Skarm should at least be mentioned.

[SET]
name: Counter
move 1: Roost
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Counter
move 4: Brave Bird / Taunt
item: Leftovers / Shed Shell
ability: Sturdy
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe

With Counter, you are able to actually defeat physical threats instead of just "getting them out" and hoping something faster doesn't come in on you. With Sturdy, no matter how strong the hit is, you'll always live.
Well, I can't say I hate the idea, but I can't say I support it. Taking as little damage as skarmory does from physical hits makes counter almost worthless on it. In addition, the surprise special hits will still deal a hefty chunk. If you ever even think about running a counter set, I would recommend going Specially Defensive to buffer the random special hits flying around and increase the amount of damage you end up returning with counter. Don't like the idea too much, but thought I could make a suggestion.

Yeah, forgot Sturdy, Specially Defensive would work best.

Again, think of it as Skarm coming in on Excadrill. Normally, you take the Rock Slide, Phaze it, and switch, praying you cancome in and Roost again. With this, you can just counter and kill the Excadrill, or the Lucario, or w/e else.

Heres a dream world skarmory set i took from my rmt, it works better than you give it credit

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Breakable Armour
EVs: 200 Atk / 240 Spd / 70 Def
Adament Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Drill Peck
- Roost
- Night slash

My late game sweeper, I only bring this guy out when his counters are gone. Sometimes I will use skarm as a lure by switching in skarm on something it resists, then immedietly swap out again to heatran or flygon as my opponent brings out magnazone. The speed ev's allow me to outspeed max base 90 pokes after a boost, including the ever anoying rotom. the rest went into attack (for more power) and defense (to help survive the first hit before breakable armour becomes active)

Heres a dream world skarmory set i took from my rmt, it works better than you give it credit

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Breakable Armour
EVs: 200 Atk / 240 Spd / 70 Def
Adament Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Drill Peck
- Roost
- Night slash

My late game sweeper, I only bring this guy out when his counters are gone. Sometimes I will use skarm as a lure by switching in skarm on something it resists, then immedietly swap out again to heatran or flygon as my opponent brings out magnazone. The speed ev's allow me to outspeed max base 90 pokes after a boost, including the ever anoying rotom. the rest went into attack (for more power) and defense (to help survive the first hit before breakable armour becomes active)
Again, Can't say I like the idea, but I feel I can make a suggestion. Skarmory has such good base defense that it should have no trouble surviving the first hit and because of this you kind of waste the 70 EVs in defense because it becomes less and less useful as you get hit more. Also the HP EVs help to add to general bulk and gives the added bonus of buffering the the weak special hits that won't activate Weak armor. I like the speed EVs though. You could also take some EVs from attack and put the EVs into HP or speed if you desire. Hope this helps.

No offense, but offensive Skarmory isn't even worth mentioning in OO imo, and its DW ability is a poor choice. You'll surprise somebody, but that's all you're really going to do.

No offense, but offensive Skarmory isn't even worth mentioning in OO imo, and its DW ability is a poor choice. You'll surprise somebody, but that's all you're really going to do.
Exactly! It's attack stat (even after a swords dance) is nothing to write home about. It has to take damage and sacrifice its best stat to boost speed, which, even with a boost, isn't impressive at all. It's coverage options are also extremely limited and can be easily walled by another skarmory. You are taking its role away from it and putting it in a role that doesn't excel in and is outclassed by other pokemon.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I think we should consider moving Shed Shell to the first slash. Magnezone is just everywhere in today's meta and losing Skarm to a simple misprediction can open one's team to an onslaught of ground type sweepers or Haxorus.

Also,

Is there any reason Impish isn't slashed on the specially defensive set? Skarmory's base physical defense is so much higher than its special defense, which would make boosting its defense with Impish yield higher stats in the end.

252/232 Careful: 316 Def + 257 SpD = 573
252/232 Impish: 347 Def + 234 SpD = 581 -- +8

Plus, a Careful nature just undermines Skarmory's role as the premier sand wall of this gen. Even with little to no EVs in physical defense, Impish Skarmory does a great job at walling things like Rock Polish Landorus and Excadrill.
I would like to emphasize this once more, as Skarm is still a premier sand wall, and a Careful nature seems rather unnecessary and inefficient (Impish lives 2 Specs Latios Draco Meteors, even after Stealth Rock). If Forretress' specially defensive set gets an Impish slash, why can't Skarm's?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)