Sketchmons XY [Now Playable]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lay claim to shit gear zygarde geopolitics

Sheer Force Darm won't be very good w/o scarf, as while its flare blitzes and bolt strikes hit really hard with LO they are sucidal and any of the abundant fast mons in this meta can easily kill it. Since stall won't be all that common in this meta, Darm will have trouble doing its task if it had a life orb: wallbreaking.

Eruption isin't that much better than fire blast, especially with its rocks weakness. You would take any hit and fire blast would just be....better. I would honestly consider Zard X over Zard Y always, just because of the wallbreaking power. V-create + Overheat + Dragon Claw / Outrage + Coverage / Roost Charizard X will be common in this meta, and for good reason as it will be a really good wallbreaker, and outclassing zard-Y for my liking.

Ah :/

RIP in pieces Eruption Zard Y. Time to scrap that team lol

xJownage said:
Sheer Force Darm won't be very good w/o scarf, as while its flare blitzes and bolt strikes hit really hard with LO they are sucidal and any of the abundant fast mons in this meta can easily kill it. Since stall won't be all that common in this meta, Darm will have trouble doing its task if it had a life orb: wallbreaking.
Well, Shift Gear has potential. Sure, Flare Blitz hurts Darm, but Fire Punch is a tolerable alternative. Probably a set something like this:

Darmanitan @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

At +1 Sheer Force boosted STAB hits really, really hard, +2 outspeeds most of the meta, and Earthquake and Rock Slide handle resists. Nothing switches in, though a couple of things can beat it one on one if it runs Fire Punch (Gliscor, Mega Venusaur, Intimidate Gyarados, some other stuff) and priority is a beating from Choice Band Talonflame or Azu.

And the scarf variant with Bolt Strike beats a lot of those on the switch.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Well, Shift Gear has potential. Sure, Flare Blitz hurts Darm, but Fire Punch is a tolerable alternative. Probably a set something like this:

Darmanitan @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

At +1 Sheer Force boosted STAB hits really, really hard, +2 outspeeds most of the meta, and Earthquake and Rock Slide handle resists. Nothing switches in, though a couple of things can beat it one on one if it runs Fire Punch (Gliscor, Mega Venusaur, Intimidate Gyarados, some other stuff) and priority is a beating from Choice Band Talonflame or Azu.

And the scarf variant with Bolt Strike beats a lot of those on the switch.
In the long run the scarf is probably better as a wallbreaker, meanwhile there being much better cleaners available in this metagame as of now. If you like darm that much tho...

On the other hand, not everything can cheese out with Fake Out + ExtremeSpeed in Talonflame's face either, so unless the opponent is packing multiple ExtremeSpeed users it will generally be a hard task to revenge Talonflame.

Flying by itself is good enough coverage so all you're really missing out is a strong fire move to wreck Steel types, of which Talonflame isn't actually lacking with options like Overheat. Neutral Overheat is strong enough to OHKO 252/0 Skarmory with SR up, while it also wrecks Ferrothorn and most offensive Steel types, leaving you walled by only Heatran and rocks (but really, which Talonflame isn't?)

If you really hate Flare Blitz there's always Roost to solve everything.
Flame Charge tho

Flame Charge tho
Flame Charge is a good option but not when it's less than half the power of Flare Blitz. Enemies that are cleanly OHKO'd by Flare Blitz can be barely 2HKO'd by Flame Charge (yes, even at +6), which is pretty fatal for an offensively-inclined Pokemon: you don't want to end up dying because you can't kill the opponent!

At least even with Flare Blitz you can destroy the opponent's Steel-type while dying, and with Overheat you can get a one-time nuke in beating shit like Skarmory after SR.

Flame Charge is a good option but not when it's less than half the power of Flare Blitz. Enemies that are cleanly OHKO'd by Flare Blitz can be barely 2HKO'd by Flame Charge (yes, even at +6), which is pretty fatal for an offensively-inclined Pokemon: you don't want to end up dying because you can't kill the opponent!

At least even with Flare Blitz you can destroy the opponent's Steel-type while dying, and with Overheat you can get a one-time nuke in beating shit like Skarmory after SR.

4 SpA Talonflame Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 294-348 (88 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Talonflame Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 302-356 (90.4 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Not to menction side effects and natures choice

4 SpA Talonflame Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 294-348 (88 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Talonflame Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 302-356 (90.4 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Not to menction side effects and natures choice
point taken (though honestly, there're probably also other factors including overheat being non-contact... but whatever. also flare blitz is also a decent option, since most of the time you're going to be spamming acrobatics anyway)

You also can use Steel Wing over Return to hit Rock types as well, so you can have a set of Belly Drum|Acrobatics|Flare Blitz/Flame Charge|Steel Wing/Roost.
And Flare Blitz recoil isn't that bad when you're probably at 75% health and will only use it to dispatch a Steel or Electric type.

Just thought of something - Tornadus/Tornadus-T can now get Aeroblast which gives them a (semi) reliable STAB that's Special... look out lol

Just thought of something - Tornadus/Tornadus-T can now get Aeroblast which gives them a (semi) reliable STAB that's Special... look out lol
They already has Air Slash...Aeroblast is stronger, but I'd rather get something like Roost, Topsy-Tury, Scald (for rain teams), Quiver Dance or something for Tornadus since you only have one Sketch.

EDIT: Thundurus on the other hand, could make great use of Aeroblast. :)

Last edited:

xJownage

/learn tornadus, baton pass

quiver pass leggoooo. anything with baton pass and good bulk can abuse this very viable strategy while a quick receiver could take advantage of great coverage and boosts to sweep opposing teams. I am interested to see how this plays out....

Hell, even Bellypass seems good, so when Talon finds a rock type, it passes the boost to Conkeldurr

EDIT: dddddduuuuuummmmmmbbbbbb

Last edited:

xJownage

I sooo want to play this. More theorymonning, also cause can. I don't feel like making sets and descrips since its obvious what these pokes can do:

- Shift Gear Mega Garchomp can run mixed sweeping sets or just amazing sets in general.
- Shift Gear Mega Aggron could be a fun bulky sweeper too :)
- geomancy keldeo will make me scream.
- Quiver dance lando-i will too
- Nasty Plot / Taunt / Thunderbolt / Ice beam thundy, such beast.
- Shift Gear Bisharp
- V-create Mega Charizard X will wreck shit. Also, shift gear can really eliminate offensive teams lacking thundy.
- Shift gear conkeldurr, if you are really feeling it.
- Shift Gear Kyurem-Black, If you are REALLY feeling it
- Mega Manectric with better moves, such as ice beam, could improve its value as a pivot.
- Also tail glow mega manectric (it doesn't need more speed lel)
- Shift Gear Mega Medicham
- Bolt strike thundurus, because it needs it for flavor.
- Oblivion Wing Togekiss
- Belly drum priority mons in general, such as diggersby
- Belly drum hawlucha (as if it wasn't good before)

Why can't we make this active again?

I sooo want to play this. More theorymonning, also cause can. I don't feel like making sets and descrips since its obvious what these pokes can do:

- Shift Gear Mega Garchomp can run mixed sweeping sets or just amazing sets in general.
- Shift Gear Mega Aggron could be a fun bulky sweeper too :)
- geomancy keldeo will make me scream.
- Quiver dance lando-i will too
- Nasty Plot / Taunt / Thunderbolt / Ice beam thundy, such beast.
- Shift Gear Bisharp
- V-create Mega Charizard X will wreck shit. Also, shift gear can really eliminate offensive teams lacking thundy.
- Shift gear conkeldurr, if you are really feeling it.
- Shift Gear Kyurem-Black, If you are REALLY feeling it
- Mega Manectric with better moves, such as ice beam, could improve its value as a pivot.
- Also tail glow mega manectric (it doesn't need more speed lel)
- Shift Gear Mega Medicham
- Bolt strike thundurus, because it needs it for flavor.
- Oblivion Wing Togekiss
- Belly drum priority mons in general, such as diggersby
- Belly drum hawlucha (as if it wasn't good before)

Why can't we make this active again?
Actually I made a team in a meta with rock polish conk and it's amazing. I can only imagine how good it would be with SG(however the set also had diamond storm, so...)

Let me remind you of a move forgotten to the annals of history

Parting Shot.

Hint: pranksters.
I like the way you think. I've always thought Parting Shot would be a great move if it had better pokemon that could use it, because Pangoro is quite honestly the worst possible thing they could have given the move.
Numel @ Eviolite
Ability: Simple
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 4 SDef / 160 Spd
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Flame Charge
- Recover

Step 1: Use Curse/Amnesia, depending on your opponent.
Step 2: When you're fully boosted in both defenses, spam flame charge.
Step 3: Use recover if you have low health.
I used a set like this once. It's terrible and I highly recommend you do not try using it as it will be nothing but dead weight in 11/10 scenarios.

Last edited:
tbh let's all just run like 3 trapping mons and then setup sweepers. Trap the phys walls and then smash to kill with shift gear everything

bumping because oras

sets:
Clefable @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Light of Ruin
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Baton Pass / Encore

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- Flare Blitz

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 Atk / 212 SpA / 240 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse

tired, will expand on later

V-Create > Close Combat on Serperior. Or Overheat. Grass/Fire has great coverage except for Fire and Dragon. Dragon Pulse should take care of that. But without HP Ground, Heatran walls the fuck out of that set, so Sub/Leafstorm/Overheat/HP Ground is your best bet.

Light of Ruin is unreleased, so you can't use it. Source: You can't use Light of Ruin clefable in stabmons. Unless for some reason you can in this meta?

Light of Ruin is unreleased, so you can't use it. Source: You can't use Light of Ruin clefable in stabmons. Unless for some reason you can in this meta?
The owner of this was talking about how Clefable with Light of Ruin was outclassed by Boomburst Gard, so I assume they wouldn't say that if Light of Ruin was illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)