Metagame Sketchmons

After a lot of testing, I have found that a sack pelipper for the mid game is better than the spdef one that was suggested. This is beacuse klefki is sacked at the very beginning, and usually, 16 turns of rain is enough. Although it was mentioned that alakazam-m reks my team, there is no plausible move that can OHKO Swampert, while Swampert's EQ does.

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swampert-Mega: 189-223 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not even is Psychic Terrain, lol.

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swampert-Mega in Psychic Terrain: 283-334 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
unless it's modest. :(

Besides, I don't think I have battled more than a couple Alakazams, Lele is just better, becuase it frees up a mega slot for the same role.

Swampert was changed from sd to Gunk Shot.

Lele is officially the scarfer of the team.

This team has a lot of trouble against Fero or Fini, depending on the coverage on Swampert. I wondered if there was an simple fix anyone could think of to deal with both, since lele doesn't help with either.

Last edited:

Megazard

I'll show you the life of the mind!
is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
BSS Tour Champion
Rain is always going to be a bit matchup based because Tapu Fini, Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, and Slowbro are all very common and need to be handled slightly differently. Gunk Shot is an idea although I prefer Dragon Ascent since you can definitely muscle past Tapu Fini. In general, you can focus on either fitting another mon that puts a lot of pressure on these kinds of mons (mega manectric fits well on rain and scares all 4 of them despite weaker fire moves), or turning one of your rain sweepers into a dedicated lure (Gunk Swampert, Z-anything kingdra or just specs with a specific coverage move to lure whichever of those 4 you find most problematic, SD Z-Kabu kinda beats all of them if u fit superpower over Aqua Jet). Also I think you're underrating Zam quite a bit, but at the same time random QD mons are so common rn (to the extent anything can be in this metagame) that not only is its niche not as desirable but sash has a lot of merit these days. This is less relevant to the team and more about generally discussing its place in the metagame.

I've also heard a lot about a suspect/QB of quiver dance. Anything we do really needs to wait until we know the permaladder situation, but aside from that I find it premature. Quiver users still generally come in 2 very similar variants (really bulky slow ones like cune and glass cannons that lose to most scarfers unless they manage to get 2 boosts like lele) checked in generally the same ways in a metagame that relies a lot on blanket checks to make up for the inherent surprise of the premise. On paper it could be a lot more dangerous imo, but we haven't seen adaptation sorta due to a lack of activity. I've theorymonned that stuff like QD Mega Manec that bypasses scarfers could be what really breaks it, but for now what we've actually seen doesn't concern me enough. It has much more stable and reasonable counterplay than greninja (my biggest annoyance) and pz (not sure how i feel about it now tbh, ig only use offense lol).

Last edited:
So Altarianite, Latiosite, Latiasite, and Ampharosite have been released. MLatios and Mamphy are pretty mediocre (esp the former) but I'd like to talk about the other two.

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 40 Spa / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Dragon Pulse / Substitute / Thunderbolt / etc

Bulky QD, really effective vs certain offensive builds. EV'd to outspeed and kill Ashninja after rocks, rest in bulk. Tbolt is nice for Skarm/Steela/Fini, Surf is an option to beat Tran but you then sorta lose to Gren (ig you can just set up on it?). Loses pretty hard to Lele so kill that first.
+1 40 SpA Latias-Mega Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Greninja-Ash: 250-295 (87.7 - 103.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance / Fire Blast
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Roost / Fire Blast

Espeeder, Fire Blast beats Skarm, Eq for Tran (you OHKO spdef at +0). Espeed is very very dangerous, you can skip DD or Roost depending on team and role.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Thousand Arrows
- Roost

Standard DD which gets around Skarm, nothing really to say.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold/Relaxed Nature
- Roost
- Boomburst
- Heal Bell
- Flamethrower / Earthquake

Speed creeps uninvested Skarm with Relaxed/Adamant Wak with Bold, bulky enough to wall physical LO Koko with rocks up/CB without rocks

252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Bolt Strike vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Altaria-Mega in Electric Terrain: 129-152 (36.5 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Tapu Koko Bolt Strike vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Altaria-Mega in Electric Terrain: 147-174 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst / Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Earthquake / Earth Power

Special attacker. EVs nicked from gen 6; EQ 2HKOs all tran variants (can't OHKO even 0/0) while Earth Power kills HPtran after rocks with this spread. Walled by Mvenu like the rest of these sets, unless you go with like Dragon Ascent lmao.

All in all I think Altaria will have a larger impact, but don't sleep on Latias! Go out and use them on your teams!
srsly pls, ladder is so dead x.x

OK, I have found probs one of the most disgusting things in the meta.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

I always wanted to do this in OU with Jirachi, but never worked out, because of the underwhelming starting attack. This monster already has amazing attack at the beginning, and with a kill boost plus a mm boost, this can OHKO walls. This set has a snowball effect that is magnified with meteor mash. Getting this in against a slower glass cannon allows you to effectively sweep once certain walls are weakened.

This thing has two major things against it:
  • 90% accuracy means that if you miss against a special attacker, you lose Kartana.
  • Can't really break past certain walls such as celesteela before a bunch of boosts
With a team that can weaken its counters, Kartana can become a huge threat.
I agree with sin(pi), very dead. :(

Sylveon.

formerly darksylvion
Ngl, Scarf Kartana is probly one of my favourite sketch sets tbh, though I don't think it does need a steel STAB on a scarf set, since steel doesn't offer that much coverage outside of what Leaf Blade already does.
So some of the moves I personally use are :
1. Diamond Storm - Probly the best coverage, allows you to hit alola wak, general fire types, revenge +1 volcarona, hit flying types(really important). :: Yeah still doesn't get you to hit Cele super effectively, but if you get that +1 boost you do 2hko it, assuming it doesn't have flamethrower. - Also doesn't make contact so avoids random beak blast.
So, coming to Cele :
2. Any fire type move : Sacred Fire or Fire Lash : Kart loves fire coverage and while Sacred apparently burns, Fire Lash puts switch-ins to -1 def, basically making it psuedo STAB. But it is probly better with SD sets. Also hits Buzzwole harder with it being at -1 incase it switches in.
3. Thousand Arrows : Works in similar ways nullifying certain switch-ins like skarm, cele, zapdos, zard(lol).
4. Or if you somehow do want a steel STAB : Just use Sunsteel Strike, no point using a weaker attack for 10% chance of attack boost.

Last edited:
Although I am reluctant to say it, you're probably right that mm is not as good as any of those options. mm just looks so cool on paper, but probably not as good in practice.

I'm going to be a little controversial in this post... I think that Porygon-Z is banworthy.

...did I say that's controversial haha I joke.

source
Running three very solid main sets in Scarf, Specs, and Z-Conversion, alongside other, less-seen sets like Double Dance, Porygon-Z can tear up almost everything in the meta with Adaptability boosted, drawbackless, STAB Boomburst off of 135 spa.

With Specs sets the damage speaks for itself
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 212-250 (53.9 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 298-352 (42.3 - 50%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It can 2hko HP invested Chansey after rocks (and has like a .4% chance without lol) without even going Modest. It gets enough coverage to pick off just about any of its would be counters.

Scarf sets still hit absurdly hard, but go town against offense rather than stall. Offense has no real switchins to PZ, and its neither frail nor slow enough to easily revenge for many teams.

252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 366-432 (95.8 - 113%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 328-388 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 342-404 (87.4 - 103.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Set up Porygon-Z, focusing on Z conversion because I haven't really seen Double Dance / just one of Nasty Plot or Agility, allows you to not only greatly increase your bulk making you difficult to revenge kill but increase your power and speed to the levels mentioned above, without being locked into a move, in one turn. I haven't used this set as much so I invite others who have to discuss it.

Basically PZ with Adaptability Boomburst is too strong for the tier. opaf plz ban.

Other mons I think might banworthy, but I'm not as sure of:
Tapu Lele
Serperior
Drampa

I think you are forgetting that if P-Z's sets are combined, they can defeat the entire meta, but P-Z cannot be every set. For example, specs, (the most common in my experience) gets destroyed by every scarfer that can deal damage. Scarfed gets destroyed by any bulkier mons, probably steel types are the best. Setup, while it in theory is godly, the one turn it needs to set up can greatly hinder it when it can be used. Also, fighting stab scarf gren destroys all P-Z's, priority destroys them (after some chip), magrearna should beat them in theory with AAP, etc.

Also, Serperior is nowhere near busted, because of similar reasons above. So many prominent threats in the meta outspeed, and OHKO it, and if not, priority, (after some chip) does too.

Lele can be dealt with, but can be a bit harder. as said before, many threats outspeed a non scarf lele, and while setup can be a bit more difficult, a steel type tanks HP fire, and can usually kill with a steel move.

Note that I didn't bother to do calcs, so feel free to prove me wrong.

I feel that in this meta, anti setup is the most important thing. Specifically, anti speed and anti priority after boosts. My rain team has both swift swim users, and lele to deal with these, but teams without answers are bound to get destroyed by setup spam. Something as simple as protean scarf gren can usually keep people safe from speed, but lele is honestly one of the only viable priority checks.

I think you are forgetting that if P-Z's sets are combined, they can defeat the entire meta, but P-Z cannot be every set. For example, specs, (the most common in my experience) gets destroyed by every scarfer that can deal damage. Scarfed gets destroyed by any bulkier mons, probably steel types are the best. Setup, while it in theory is godly, the one turn it needs to set up can greatly hinder it when it can be used. Also, fighting stab scarf gren destroys all P-Z's, priority destroys them (after some chip), magrearna should beat them in theory with AAP, etc.

Also, Serperior is nowhere near busted, because of similar reasons above. So many prominent threats in the meta outspeed, and OHKO it, and if not, priority, (after some chip) does too.

Lele can be dealt with, but can be a bit harder. as said before, many threats outspeed a non scarf lele, and while setup can be a bit more difficult, a steel type tanks HP fire, and can usually kill with a steel move.

Note that I didn't bother to do calcs, so feel free to prove me wrong.

I feel that in this meta, anti setup is the most important thing. Specifically, anti speed and anti priority after boosts. My rain team has both swift swim users, and lele to deal with these, but teams without answers are bound to get destroyed by setup spam. Something as simple as protean scarf gren can usually keep people safe from speed, but lele is honestly one of the only viable priority checks.
I appreciate that Porygon-Z can't run all of its sets at once. However Porygon-Z operates by using essentially one move, Boomburst, to cause massive amounts of damage. It's entirely possible to bluff one set when you're running another. For instance; bluffing scarf by spamming Boombursts that show a lack of a boosting item in their damage, when you are really Z-Conversion. And because Porygon-Z is checked differently depending on what set it runs treating a scarf set as specs can lead to you having a valuable offensive mon KO'd while vice versa can lead to your wall being KO'd. Basically nothing can come in repeatedly on Specs Porygon-Z. Magearna technically can (252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 154-182 (42.3 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery) but if it takes any damage it stands a very high risk of being KO'd. Offensive teams can revenge Scarf Porygon-Z with an Espeeder or Mach Puncher yes, but PZ has no reason to stay in on an obvious priority attack (and they're usually pretty obvious) and has, at that point, already KO'd something on the opposing team.

Timid Scarf PZ outspeeds every unboosted pokemon legal in sketchmons except lolninjask by one point. It has superb coverage basically only lacking a solid way to hit Steel/Rock types, but it doesn't even need that. It's incredibly easy to run slow pivots + PZ rn and slaughter any team that isn't heavily prepared for PZ. Revenging it isn't really a great option because it can switch out (as I've said) and all you've done is postpone it.

All of its defensive checks need to be at full health to switch into specs with the exception of some ghost types (Sableye-Mega), Tyranitar (252 SpA Choice Specs Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock lolwoopsIkidbutitcantakeBoomburstsanyway), and soundproof memes (all of which get pegged by various coverage options).

Serperior has an amazing speed tier at 113, outspeeding the pivotal 110 speed tier which means it outspeeds most of the unboosted meta. By far its most common sketched move is V-Create, one use of which pushes it out of range of standard scarfers other than maybe Torn-T (Scarf Koko runs +attacking stat, usually either Modest or Adamant). V-Create also patches up its defenses making it very difficult to revenge.

Serperior @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature / Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- V-create / Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ground] / [Ice] / Dragon Pulse
- Substitute / Dragon Pulse

OO: Taunt, Glare, Leech Seed
This is pretty much what I think you can expect to see from a Serperior (I'm sure there are points of the set that can be nitpicked). Note Substitute, which makes it even more difficult to revenge, and isn't that hard to set up against a lot of mons thanks to Serperiors excellent speed tier and high base power moves making it an immediate threat. It has the tools to shut down most of its checks if it wants. Hidden Power Ground kills Heatran, Dragon Pulse deals with dragon types not named Mega Altaria, Taunt can shut down most SpD walls (Chansey still gives it trouble unless it runs Leech Seed/Synthesis thanks to insane bulk and Seismic Toss).

Now it obviously can't run all of these at once, and I've found that to be Serperior's biggest flaw both in using it and in facing it: it can't use all the things it wants to at once. It can't have both the power of Life Orb and the survivability of Leftovers. While I find Lefties far serperior (kill me) because you don't kill yourself / put yourself in range of easy revenge killing, not having it nonetheless puts a notable dent in Serperior's firepower... and after all it does only have base 75 attacking stats. I know I said earlier that Serperior is immediately threatening but now I'm going to contradict myself a little by saying that efore its boosted Serperior is pretty weak. It takes two turns to really become a huge problem on the battlefield, and while its not doing nothing in those two turns (its not like other set up where thats the only thing the mon is doing; Serperior is firing off V-Creates and STAB Leaf Storms) its not as threatening as many of the other attackers in the meta ignoring the fact that its setting up in your face.

Basically Contrary is a pretty broken ability on anything that is able to use it well. Serperior isnt broken in standard thanks to its limited offensive coverage and the fact that grass is a pretty mediocre type, but here I think it's worth at least putting on the radar for a ban.

I'm not going to say that much about Lele. Hidden Power Fire isn't much of a thing, because this is Sketchmons, and you can use Blue Flare. Most Lele either run that or Quiver Dance as far as I'm aware, although I think some people run stronger Psychic STABs and I've run Volt Switch. Scarf is the most common item on Lele. It's usually pretty safe to assume Scarf unless you see Life Orb damage, in which case its probably Quiver Dance inb4 i get slaughtered by z move lele. I know Glyx ran Specs.

My problem with Lele is that I find myself coming back to the same couple of mons to check it. Mostly defensive Heatran tbh. I would be open to being educated on how to deal with it better, because I find it the least problematic of the mons I mentioned. However there's no denying its an extremely threatening mon and saying "a steel type tanks HP fire, and can usually kill with a steel move," ignores the coverage Lele commonly runs which bypasses most Steel types. (252 SpA Tapu Lele Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 186-220 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery)

Hide tags are cuz I kinda wrote a lot. I feel like I still haven't given a great account on PZ, so I may edit that later. Thanks for responding tho ^_^
I feel like I should clarify that the only mon I am entirely pro-ban on is PZ atm. The other two I just think deserve the conversation and have been particularly annoying for me to build around.

I appreciate that Porygon-Z can't run all of its sets at once. However Porygon-Z operates by using essentially one move, Boomburst, to cause massive amounts of damage. It's entirely possible to bluff one set when you're running another. For instance; bluffing scarf by spamming Boombursts that show a lack of a boosting item in their damage, when you are really Z-Conversion. And because Porygon-Z is checked differently depending on what set it runs treating a scarf set as specs can lead to you having a valuable offensive mon KO'd while vice versa can lead to your wall being KO'd. Basically nothing can come in repeatedly on Specs Porygon-Z. Magearna technically can (252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 154-182 (42.3 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery) but if it takes any damage it stands a very high risk of being KO'd. Offensive teams can revenge Scarf Porygon-Z with an Espeeder or Mach Puncher yes, but PZ has no reason to stay in on an obvious priority attack (and they're usually pretty obvious) and has, at that point, already KO'd something on the opposing team.

Timid Scarf PZ outspeeds every unboosted pokemon legal in sketchmons except lolninjask by one point. It has superb coverage basically only lacking a solid way to hit Steel/Rock types, but it doesn't even need that. It's incredibly easy to run slow pivots + PZ rn and slaughter any team that isn't heavily prepared for PZ. Revenging it isn't really a great option because it can switch out (as I've said) and all you've done is postpone it.

All of its defensive checks need to be at full health to switch into specs with the exception of some ghost types (Sableye-Mega), Tyranitar (252 SpA Choice Specs Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock lolwoopsIkidbutitcantakeBoomburstsanyway), and soundproof memes (all of which get pegged by various coverage options).

Serperior has an amazing speed tier at 113, outspeeding the pivotal 110 speed tier which means it outspeeds most of the unboosted meta. By far its most common sketched move is V-Create, one use of which pushes it out of range of standard scarfers other than maybe Torn-T (Scarf Koko runs +attacking stat, usually either Modest or Adamant). V-Create also patches up its defenses making it very difficult to revenge.

Serperior @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature / Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- V-create / Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ground] / [Ice] / Dragon Pulse
- Substitute / Dragon Pulse

OO: Taunt, Glare, Leech Seed
This is pretty much what I think you can expect to see from a Serperior (I'm sure there are points of the set that can be nitpicked). Note Substitute, which makes it even more difficult to revenge, and isn't that hard to set up against a lot of mons thanks to Serperiors excellent speed tier and high base power moves making it an immediate threat. It has the tools to shut down most of its checks if it wants. Hidden Power Ground kills Heatran, Dragon Pulse deals with dragon types not named Mega Altaria, Taunt can shut down most SpD walls (Chansey still gives it trouble unless it runs Leech Seed/Synthesis thanks to insane bulk and Seismic Toss).

Now it obviously can't run all of these at once, and I've found that to be Serperior's biggest flaw both in using it and in facing it: it can't use all the things it wants to at once. It can't have both the power of Life Orb and the survivability of Leftovers. While I find Lefties far serperior (kill me) because you don't kill yourself / put yourself in range of easy revenge killing, not having it nonetheless puts a notable dent in Serperior's firepower... and after all it does only have base 75 attacking stats. I know I said earlier that Serperior is immediately threatening but now I'm going to contradict myself a little by saying that efore its boosted Serperior is pretty weak. It takes two turns to really become a huge problem on the battlefield, and while its not doing nothing in those two turns (its not like other set up where thats the only thing the mon is doing; Serperior is firing off V-Creates and STAB Leaf Storms) its not as threatening as many of the other attackers in the meta ignoring the fact that its setting up in your face.

Basically Contrary is a pretty broken ability on anything that is able to use it well. Serperior isnt broken in standard thanks to its limited offensive coverage and the fact that grass is a pretty mediocre type, but here I think it's worth at least putting on the radar for a ban.

I'm not going to say that much about Lele. Hidden Power Fire isn't much of a thing, because this is Sketchmons, and you can use Blue Flare. Most Lele either run that or Quiver Dance as far as I'm aware, although I think some people run stronger Psychic STABs and I've run Volt Switch. Scarf is the most common item on Lele. It's usually pretty safe to assume Scarf unless you see Life Orb damage, in which case its probably Quiver Dance inb4 i get slaughtered by z move lele. I know Glyx ran Specs.

My problem with Lele is that I find myself coming back to the same couple of mons to check it. Mostly defensive Heatran tbh. I would be open to being educated on how to deal with it better, because I find it the least problematic of the mons I mentioned. However there's no denying its an extremely threatening mon and saying "a steel type tanks HP fire, and can usually kill with a steel move," ignores the coverage Lele commonly runs which bypasses most Steel types. (252 SpA Tapu Lele Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 186-220 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery)

Hide tags are cuz I kinda wrote a lot. I feel like I still haven't given a great account on PZ, so I may edit that later. Thanks for responding tho ^_^
I feel like I should clarify that the only mon I am entirely pro-ban on is PZ atm. The other two I just think deserve the conversation and have been particularly annoying for me to build around.
TBH I don'at really know how to counter your statements, i'm just trying my hardest to put life in the thread. (plz help OM gods) I'm still not sure if I agree with your P-Z statement, because I personally have faced many of them and rarely ever had a problem. I have had a couple issues with Serp and lele before so honestly, I would support their ban over P-Z

Megazard

I'll show you the life of the mind!
is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
BSS Tour Champion
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/post-ompl-v-thread.3613648/#post-7492060
I hate making these kinds of posts, but I've dumped a lot of sketch sets that I think are pretty solid in the post OMPL thread and anyone watching this looking for some interesting stuff should go take a look. On a side note I'm gonna try to push people to do a bit of a major VR update, it's so old that Ferrothorn is ranked as an equal to Chesnaught e.e

I don't know if this should be in AAA thread or this thread but since AAA thread hasn't announced it yet, I'll do it first, because AAA + Sketchmons is Leader's Choice of the Month.

And yes, the meta is like the title says, it's a mashup of AAA + Sketchmons, basically your mon can have any ability AND any one move you like, barring banned ones.

Oh i really like this mashup lcotm, opens up for so much possibilities

Heres some potential sets i like that ima drop here

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spectral Thief/Topsy Turvy
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Yea nice chansey becomes a hell more annoying with unaware + ss, it can even run topsy turvy to screw set up sweepers over for its teammates to take advantage

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Doom Desire/Rapid Spin
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Now u can use the AAA's staple regenvest mag but with a new nuke stab in dooms desire or as your hazard remover with rapid spin its rlly good

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: Flash Fire/Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Recover/Defog/U-turn/Whatever
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance/Sacred Sword

Hey do u hate doublade from aaa? If u didnt u might hate it now, it now gets the best of both worlds with both recovery and an immunity to one of its weaknesses, u can maybe run it as your defogger or as a regenerator pivot its very versatile

Golisopod @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator/Triage
Adamant Nature
- U-turn/Drain Punch
- Aqua Jet/Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Leech Life

Yay finally a meta where golisopod can get a better ability and get u-turn at the same time, or maybe you can go wild with a drain punch triage set

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb/Fightinium Z
Ability: Triage/Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Yea this is thundurus from stabmons but on steroids, what even beats this other than fat unawares???

Latios @ Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog/Trick

Now latios can finally not be walled by steela/mag by getting blue flare, it also gets a pseudo life orb boost with its new sheer force ability not bad

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Adaptability
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance

Uhh yea this thing gets a 370 base power stab move that could literally destroy everything under trick room, pack ur flash fire skarm bois

Arcanine @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- V-create/Precipice Blades
- Wild Charge/Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

Its standard altarianite arcanine without the fairy typing and now being able to fire off a nuke in v-create, u might wanna use precipice blades if u dont want to be walled by FF Doublade though

This is probably the wrong place to ask this, but do I have to challenge people to this physically, or can I play with people randomly? I always see a secondary om on the list but never figured out how to play it.

Also,

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- V-create

This thing seems pretty decent, as I see atespeed being a central part of the meta. Thing is, they can't expect you to be QM. What if you're moxie or something? or refirgerate espeed?
It also eliminates steels. :)

Last edited:
Hello guys.
Here some AAASketchmons sets I've been working, please let me know if they worth anything:

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Stored Power
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
>> Simple is also an option.

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Shore Up
>> I used a similar set in BH. Now this thing is way more viable.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Thousand Arrows

>> Isn't it scary as hell ? Now Talonflame doesn't have to worry at all about rocks. Thousand Arrows is mainly for Levitate Heatran (does it exists btw?) and adds good coverage.

This is probably the wrong place to ask this, but do I have to challenge people to this physically, or can I play with people randomly? I always see a secondary om on the list but never figured out how to play it.
You can ask someone in the OM room to play or wait for a room tour to get automatic matches. There are a few "challenge-only" formats on PS! and Leader's Choice is one of them.

Oh i really like this mashup lcotm, opens up for so much possibilities

Heres some potential sets i like that ima drop here

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spectral Thief/Topsy Turvy
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Yea nice chansey becomes a hell more annoying with unaware + ss, it can even run topsy turvy to screw set up sweepers over for its teammates to take advantage

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Doom Desire/Rapid Spin
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Now u can use the AAA's staple regenvest mag but with a new nuke stab in dooms desire or as your hazard remover with rapid spin its rlly good

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: Flash Fire/Regenerator
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Recover/Defog/U-turn/Whatever
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance/Sacred Sword

Hey do u hate doublade from aaa? If u didnt u might hate it now, it now gets the best of both worlds with both recovery and an immunity to one of its weaknesses, u can maybe run it as your defogger or as a regenerator pivot its very versatile

Golisopod @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator/Triage
Adamant Nature
- U-turn/Drain Punch
- Aqua Jet/Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Leech Life

Yay finally a meta where golisopod can get a better ability and get u-turn at the same time, or maybe you can go wild with a drain punch triage set

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb/Fightinium Z
Ability: Triage/Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Yea this is thundurus from stabmons but on steroids, what even beats this other than fat unawares???

Latios @ Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog/Trick

Now latios can finally not be walled by steela/mag by getting blue flare, it also gets a pseudo life orb boost with its new sheer force ability not bad

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Adaptability
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance

Uhh yea this thing gets a 370 base power stab move that could literally destroy everything under trick room, pack ur flash fire skarm bois

Arcanine @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- V-create/Precipice Blades
- Wild Charge/Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

Its standard altarianite arcanine without the fairy typing and now being able to fire off a nuke in v-create, u might wanna use precipice blades if u dont want to be walled by FF Doublade though
Hey, nice sets.
Just wanted to point that Chansey can run Transform to turn into a 704 HP Eviolite-boosted copy of the opponent.
Also that Alolawak can get an even stronger V-Create by using Desolate Land... at this point even Tinted Lens is an option.

Now, i must post a set i really like.

Klinklang @ Focus Sash / Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Bonemerang / Storm Throw / Icicle Spear
- Wild Charge

Technician-boosted Gear Grind hits like a truck and it gets an extra coverage move to abuse it even more.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack / Stealth Rock / Other Filler

This thing is utterly terrifying to any team that can't outspeed it. Nothing short of Intimidate Hippowdon avoids the 2hko on switch in. I like pairing it with a Z-Parting Shot user with Regenerator, both to pivot it in and to give it a second wind when it's almost killed itself with recoil.

I think that if you wanted to run a non-Band set Tinted would not be the way to go, but with Band (or Scarf) its much easier to just clean versus defensive teams when you don't particularly need to worry about resistances.

Tapu Fini @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Quiver Dance
- Protect
- Moonblast

This is a pretty standard set from many metas, and it adapt here well. Quiver Dance lets it survive many attempts at revenge killing. It's main problem is an inability to prevent other QD users like Mew setting up alongside it, which can lead to it being outgunned. An Unaware user like Chansey might be a good idea to run alongside it, or Prankster Haze or Spectral Thief.

BAN ME (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Electrify
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Lol this never actually did anything for me for some reason, but anything relatively fast can use Electrify + Lightningrod and become immune to the attacks of everything slower while boosting. Pair with antipriority or it will just die to the first Triage user it comes across. This should probably be banned.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Bonemerang
- Stealth Rock / Freeze Dry

This set proved a little slow for the meta tbh. I like it though, and its coverage is great (is it my fault Tyler was using a Golisopod ;-;). Ice Shard goes a long way towards fixing its speed problems but comes short of KOing a lot of the offensive threats it would like to, and its attacks fail to dent stall quite enough. I'm not impressed, but I will reserve judgment until later. Maybe a Refridgspeed set would work better?

mamoswine really appreciates Adaptability due to having perfect neutral coverage with its STABs. You can use something like precipice Blades for even more power, a setup move like Dragon Dance or Thousand Arrows for even better coverage to not be walled by levitating Heatrans and similar stuff.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
assuming the banlists for both AAA and Sketchmons are simultanously in effect...

https://pokepast.es/8a3b461cc92a8948

I have a feeling that this team isn't going to be legal for long due to one of the sets but as of now it's good.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Breaking hearts since '09
is a Pre-Contributor
Stall is aids in this meta, stuff like Transform Chansey, Recovery PH Tapu Fini and Recovery Doublade is extremely difficult to properly deal with. Will drop some teams I used so far:

http://pokepast.es/1ebc61f764c0da1c

Also a fun Trick Room team that has also been putting in some work:

http://pokepast.es/45acbe47cd466339

Even got a replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7aaasketchmons-625775147

Basically ban either Transform or Chansey. Maybe look at stuff like Magearna and moves like Quiver Dance too.

Stall is aids in this meta, stuff like Transform Chansey, Recovery PH Tapu Fini and Recovery Doublade is extremely difficult to properly deal with. Will drop some teams I used so far:

http://pokepast.es/1ebc61f764c0da1c

Also a fun Trick Room team that has also been putting in some work:

http://pokepast.es/45acbe47cd466339

Even got a replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7aaasketchmons-625775147

Basically ban either Transform or Chansey. Maybe look at stuff like Magearna and moves like Quiver Dance too.
I personally think stall is mostly just underprepared for in this meta at the moment. On your first team, for instance, every mon is 2hko'd by the Band Terrakion set I posted a couple posts up (if Doublade was more defense invested it would live or if Buzzwole or Doublade was Intimidate). Not to say it's not a good team, every team is broken by something all that jazz, but I think that currently people are focusing heavily on set up spam, priority, and beating offense, which is what most people are running.

I think once the meta stabilizes a bit more (if it stabilizes a bit more) people will be a bit more prepared for stall. There are a ton of tools to beat stall, such as Mold Breaker set up, incredibly powerful wallbreakers, Taunt on anything you want, etc.

Transform Chansey honestly isn't banworthy at all. Imposterproofing a la BH works, or just switching in something that you don't mind it transforming into. It's not Imposter, you can afford to, say, get a kill against something and then you switch out when Chansey comes in to try to Transform into you. It's not bad, certainly, but its not broken imo.

Infernape @ Expert Belt
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- U-turn / thunderpunch
- Sing

Definitely not the best user, but couldn't something like this effectively break everything once faster attackers/priority users are dealt with? Something speedy that can break Skarm/Chansey.

Unbanning bpass would be so much fun now with so many download/speed boost users that could baton pass :(

Last edited: