XY OU Skipping Gen V (+1700)

Hello there, so this is in fact the first XY team I've ever built, seeing as I haven't played for a long long time. In fact, I stopped playing near the end op the DPPt era, hence the title. Anyway, I've built this team without much knowledge of the metagame, so I focused on overall type coverage and a very basic strategy with Skarmory as my spikestacker.

Onto the members then:

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Gengar is a pretty recent addition to the team, but has proven to be quite good at what it does, namely causing switches and blocking spin. Due to its many resistances, immunitites and offensive prowess, I can often get a Sub in and proceed to spam Shadow Ball and WoW, with taunt blocking any kind of set up.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill is my main revengekiller and due to its ability, it can sometimes clean up lategame when the opposing EQ immunities have been removed. Also, it's the mon I lead with most of the time so I can get SR out early on. The moves are pretty self-explanatory, although SR on a scarfer is always somewhat risky. Generally, this helps against a lot of fast offensive stuff which would otherwise demolish my team.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom is mostly on here because of it's typing which makes it a good switch-in to many many things, again causing opposing switches due to its good STAB moves and acces to status. Still, I feel it doesn't do too much in many matches and that is why it seems to be replaceable, but that would open up certain weaknesses, mostly to firemons like Heatran.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Latios is great because it applies heavy offensive pressure whilst still maintining solid bulk and sufficient longevity due to Roost. It's also my secondary fireresistance and main check to fightmons. Latios often manages to rip big holes into the opposing team and has also cleaned up lategame occasionally.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

This is the main beast of the team. Once Bisharp gets an SD under its belt, it's pretty much unstoppable. This thing hits like a truck and probably has had more kills than the rest of the team combined. Also, Sucker Punch lets me revenge some faster opponents in dire times, although that is a pretty unreliable strategy. Defiant is an awesome ability as the attack boost is great trade-off when switching into Defog.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Spikes

Skarmory is extremely efficient at what it does, using its great typing and good stats to get out as many layers of Spikes as possible. I play pretty suicidally with this, in order to get the hazards out as fast as possible. The specially defensive spread helps with this seeing as I can set-up on more things. Also, Whirlwind is great to shuffle the opposing team and get some early damage in.

So that is it, any suggestions and/or comments are much appreciated.

Importable version:
Gengar @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
sprites courtesy of http://pldh.net/

Last edited:
I would recommend switching stealth rocks for rapid spin on excadrill ,since right now you have nothing to remove other entry hazards, and while your team isn't affected too much by them it definitely can't hurt. Also, I suggest switching spikes or whirlwind for stealth rocks on skarmory. Stealth rocks are the preferred hazard for a reason, and are better in almost every way. With the amount of defog going around, you probably won't be able to keep spikes up for long, so if you need to pick one stealth rocks are the way to go. I think you are underestimating rotom; It provides checks to offensive threats such as greninja and heatran, which have a field day with the rest of your team. I would suggest changing your rotom's ev spread to make it a more efficient wall. I'm not sure what you want to outspeed with the 152 evs, but I think a more defensive set will be ameliorative to your team.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

The 44 speed allows you to outspeed jolly azumarill and burn it, which is essential. A specially defensive set allows you to sponge hits from greninja and heatran more efficiently, but if you want a physically defensive set switch the evs in Sp. Def to Def and give it a Bold nature.

Last edited:
yeah that should of course be sturdy, thanks for pointing that out!

I'll consider Spin on Excadrill, but seeing as often lead with it I can often get SR out against something I'm threatening right from the start.
I won't change Spikes because they've been a key part of my success here, I feel that without them my team doesn't exert enough pressure on the opponent. Also, I can often predict the incoming Defog and get Bisharp in, which at +2 is more threatening than a few layers of Spikes. I've found that the team doesn't need hazards to be out all the time, it just needs them to do some damage so that one of my mons can sweep, which again is mostly Bisharp.

The Rotom Set seems like a great addition though, I'll definitely test that, tahnks a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)