Skrelp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########
  • adaptability makes good wallbreaker
  • good 50/60/60 bulk
  • can check fighting types
  • decent coverage options (tbolt, icy wind, hp fire / psychic)
  • poor base 30 speed
  • more stuff

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Sludge Wave
move 3: Hidden Power Psychic / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Scald
ability: Adaptability
item: Eviolite
evs: 116 HP / 116 Def / 200 SpA / 36 SpD / 40 Spe
nature: Modest Nature

Moves
========
  • Hydro Pump is the main stab
  • Sludge Wave hits a lot of the stuff Hydro Pump doesn't hit
  • Hidden Power Psychic KOes Croagunk after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes, and can hit opposing Skrelp for decent damage. Keep in mind that a neutral Sludge Wave deals more damage than a 2x effective Hidden Power Psychic.
  • Hidden Power Fire is an alternative for Ferroseed, but doesnt hit much outside of that, as Skrelp's STABs generally hit harder on opponents that Hidden Power Fire can hit.
  • Scald can be used to wear down checks through burns or when a Hydro Pump miss is risky, but is mostly filler.

Set Details
========
  • EVs give Skrelp maximum power while maintaining bulk. Specifically, it can survive Fletchling's +2 Acrobatics and OHKO with Hydro Pump, while walling Fighting-types lacking a super-effective move.
  • Eviolite is chosen to survive attacks and take hits better in general, although Berry Juice is an option for recovery.
  • Adaptability is the reason to run this set, as the power granted by it allows Skrelp to wallbreak effectively. Skrelp's other abilities are simply not worth running.

Usage Tips
========
  • Skrelp is best used to check Fighting-types and break through bulky Pokemon

Team Options
========

TEAM OPTIONS GO HERE

RestTalk
########
name: RestTalk
move 1: Scald
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
ability: Adaptability
item: Eviolite
evs:
nature:

Moves
========
  • Scald and Sludge Bomb are STAB moves on this set, each with a good chance to burn or poison respectively. Coupled with the chance of status, they have a good chance of wearing down opposing Pokemon.
  • Rest and Sleep Talk provide somewhat reliable recovery and the ability to block/heal status, at the cost of directly choosing a move for two turns.

Set Details
========

EVS / ITEM / NATURE INFORMATION GOES HERE

Usage Tips
========

USAGE TIPS GO HERE

Team Options
========

TEAM OPTIONS GO HERE

Other Options
########
  • Life Orb with Icy wind is an option, but Skrelp prefers to take hits, and even with Icy Wind, Skrep is lacking on Speed.

Checks & Counters
########

CHECKS & COUNTERS GO HERE
NOTE THAT THIS WILL BE MORE THREATLISTY SO MENTION POKEMON / OTHER EFFECTS ONE AT A TIME

Last edited:
this is extremely bare bones right now, ill edit in more later.

for now though, i need thoughts on sets. is restalk worth a set? should eviolite/lo be one set? should eviolite/lo be dropped? should lo run icy wind? once i get some thoughts on this, ill do some testing and put stuff in

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hi
I definitely think RestTalk is worth a set, if only for more defensive teams, because a fight check that can repeatedly come in on poison jab timburr/gunk shot pancham is nice to have, and Skrelp has some pretty nice resistances overall, most notably to Larvesta, whose U-Turn can get pretty irritating at times.
Eviolite and Life Orb should probably have different sets because they have different roles; Eviolite is more of just a bulky attacker, whereas Life Orb is there to wallbreak. The Life Orb set should run at least 116 Spe if not more to outpace Timburr and Porygon, two very important Pokemon on defensive teams, whereas the Eviolite set should just be running 36 Spe as filler. As for the set order, I think it should be bulky attacker > resttalk > LO because for all the pretty calcs the LO set comes up with, having a slow and frail Pokemon without any priority isn't the best of ideas (think Clamperl), since offense is still very relevant. With that being said, LO Skrelp is still unique as a wallbreaker in that it is both able to handle WoW and not get crushed by Knock Off.
Icy Wind sounds like it's a decent move on LO because it doesn't really have much else to run; Scald/Icy Wind or something like that for moveslot 4 would probably do.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
tbh i'm not sure LO is worth a set outside of OO. it's strong, but skrelp's good point is that it has a nice defensive typing allowing it to switch into threats then do some serious damage. LO is so hard to switch in with. I think evio is sufficient power

Restalk is actually somewhat viable since it can take spore from Foongus and due to its crazy bulk it can actually take hits from it and eventually win with Scald Burn + Sludge Bomb doing neutral damage. I think it also beats Pumpkaboo. However, I would definitely take out Toxic Spikes - it cannot afford to only have one STAB.

I think Berry Juice should get a mention, despite constantly switching into Fighting-types that run Knock Off. It helps wall general attacks that otherwise 2HKO. It's harder to used optimally, but has much higher potential.

Otherwise I think you're on track!

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This analysis has been reassigned (and completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)