Skuntank

[OVERVIEW]

Skuntank's incredible Poison / Dark typing gives it a very unique set of resistances that allows it to check many threatening Pokemon including Musharna, Mesprit, Mega Audino, Shiftry, Lilligant, and Haunter. Access to Pursuit lets it trap a myriad of Pokemon, making Skuntank an excellent support Pokemon for offensive teams, and Sucker Punch gives it a way to harass frail offensive Pokemon. Skuntank also has good utility moves in Taunt and Defog, which allow it to shut down defensive Pokemon and clear entry hazards from the field, respectively. Aftermath lets Skuntank also serve as an emergency check to physical attackers, shaving off some of the foe's HP as it goes down. However, Skuntank is threatened by common Ground-type Pokemon such as Rhydon, Torterra, and Quagsire. Average stats overall don't help Skuntank either, as it's left with middling bulk and only decent Attack.

[SET]
name: Utility Attacker
move 1: Sucker Punch
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Poison Jab
move 4: Taunt
item: Black Sludge / Lum Berry
ability: Aftermath
nature: Adamant
evs: 24 HP / 232 Atk / 108 SpD / 144 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sucker Punch allows Skuntank to pick off some offensive Pokemon. Pursuit allows Skuntank to trap Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon such as Musharna, Mesprit, Haunter, and Mismagius. Poison Jab lets Skuntank reliably damage Grass-types such as Shiftry, Cacturne, and Lilligant, as well as 3HKO Mega Audino. Taunt gives Skuntank a way to shut down defensive Pokemon such as Musharna and Mega Audino, as well prevent slower Pokemon from setting up any entry hazards. Crunch can be used if a reliable Dark-type STAB move is needed to prevent Klinklang from setting up for free and to deal reliable damage to Xatu, Mesprit, and Musharna.

Set Details
========

232 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allow Skuntank to 3HKO Mega Audino with Poison Jab. 24 HP EVs maximize Black Sludge recovery. 144 Speed EVs allow Skuntank to outspeed neutral-natured base 70 Speed Pokemon such as Ludicolo and Samurott. The rest of the EVs go into Special Defense to let Skuntank better check special attackers such as Lilligant, Cacturne, Mesprit, and Audino. Black Sludge gives Skuntank consistent recovery that allows it to last a bit longer. Lum Berry can also be used to Pursuit trap Ghost-types that use Will-O-Wisp, as well as well avoiding being put to sleep from Lilligant's Sleep Powder. If using a Lum Berry, the 24 HP EVs can be moved into Special Defense instead. Aftermath is chosen to damage physical attackers after they KO Skuntank with a contact move. An alternative EV spread of 24 HP / 232 Atk / 168 SpD / 84 Spe can be used to ensure that Skuntank outslows minimum Speed Xatu, allowing Skuntank to take it down with Pursuit when it uses U-turn, while giving Skuntank more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Use Skuntank's typing to switch into Pokemon it checks such as Lilligant, Shiftry, Musharna, Mesprit, and Exeggutor. When anticipating an opposing Pokemon's switch, use Pursuit to heavily damage or eliminate it from the match. When using Sucker Punch, be wary of Will-O-Wisp and Substitute users, as they can take advantage of Skuntank by using it as setup fodder. Similarly, while Skuntank switches into both Haunter and Mismagius easily, it must watch out for Will-O-Wisp if it's not holding a Lum Berry. Use Taunt to shut down defensive Pokemon such as Audino and Musharna, as well as prevent Pokemon from using any non-attacking moves, easing prediction with Sucker Punch. Taunt is also useful for shutting down slower entry hazard setters such as Garbodor and Crustle.

Team Options
========

Sawk and Primeape pair incredibly well with Skuntank, as they appreciate the Pursuit support Skuntank provides, allowing them to easily wallbreak. Primape also has access to U-turn, which works great with its ability to lure in Ghost- and Psychic-types for Skuntank to trap. Calm Mind Mesprit pairs well with Skuntank, as Skuntank is able to eliminate both Musharna and Mega Audino, two Pokemon that are bulky enough to stomach Mesprit's boosted attacks, while Mesprit is able to switch into Ground-type attacks aimed at Skuntank due to Levitate. Skuntank also traps faster Ghost-types that threaten Mesprit such as Haunter, Rotom, and Mismagius. Swords Dance Kabutops and Samurott appreciate Skuntank's ability to switch into Lilligant and Shiftry and threaten both with Poison Jab, making it easier for Samurott and Kabutops to clean late-game. Mixed Samurott and Floatzel also threaten problematic Ground-types such as Rhydon and Torterra. Lilligant is a great partner, as it threatens Ground- and Rock-types with its Grass STAB type, while Skuntank shuts down Mega Audino, one of the few Pokemon bulky enough to take Lilligant's attacks after a Quiver Dance.

[SET]
name: Special Attacking Lure
move 1: Dark Pulse / Sludge Bomb
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Defog / Sucker Punch
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest / Mild
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Pulse is Skuntank's most reliable Dark-type STAB move, dealing heavy damage to Musharna, Mesprit, and Exeggutor while dealing reliable damage to Garbodor. Alternatively, Sludge Bomb can be used as a reliable Poison-type STAB move to hit Mega Audino and Lilligant. Fire Blast hits many common switch-ins to Skuntank, such as Pawniard, Mawile, Ferroseed, and Vileplume. Hidden Power Grass deals heavy damage to Rhydon, Carracosta, and Quagsire. Defog allows Skuntank to remove all entry hazards from the field, making it act as a team supporter. This set in particular utilizes Defog well because it is able to beat common hazard setters by luring them in and KOing them, making it easier to keep hazards off the field. Alternatively, Sucker Punch gives Skuntank strong priority, allowing it have use against faster offensive Pokemon. Memento is another decent option that weakens a foe, allowing a sweeper to get a free opportunity to set up.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs plus a Modest nature allow Skuntank to hit as hard as possible. If you run Sucker Punch, a Mild nature should be chosen to preserve Skuntank's Attack. Maximum Speed EVs allow Skuntank to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, most notably Modest Mesprit. Life Orb is chosen for the significant boost in power, which makes up for Skuntank's lacking Special Attack. Black Glasses is another option if the recoil proves to be an issue, but it leaves Skuntank's coverage moves significantly weaker. Aftermath is used to wear down physical attackers if they KO Skuntank with a contact move. Alternatively, an EV spread of 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe with a Modest nature gives Skuntank more bulk and lets it outspeed up to neutral-natured base 70 Speed Pokemon, such as Ludicolo and Samurott.

Usage Tips
========

This set is designed to lure in conventional answers to Skuntank such as Rhydon, Mawile, and Weezing. It also has a better matchup against entry hazard setters, allowing Skuntank to effectively run Defog and support its teammates. Generally Defog should be used against a Pokemon that cannot do much in return, such as Lilligant or Shiftry. Do not directly switch Skuntank into Stealth Rock users such as Rhydon and Carracosta, as they all have a way to threaten Skuntank. This set has much less longevity and is worn down much faster due to Life Orb, so do not use Skuntank recklessly by switching it into powerful neutral hits.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate entry hazards being removed, such as Archeops and Swellow, pair well with Skuntank. They also appreciate Skuntank's ability to eliminate Rhydon, a common answer to both Pokemon. Sawk is another good partner, as it prefers to have the field cleared of hazards to preserve Sturdy and reliably eliminate faster Pokemon while Skuntank takes out Psychic-types with Dark Pulse. Mesprit appreciates Skuntank's ability to switch into and check Ghost-types, while in return Mesprit is able threaten Fighting-types such as Sawk and Gurdurr, switch into Ground-type attacks thanks to Levitate, and restore Skuntank's HP with Healing Wish if it has been worn down too much by Life Orb recoil and residual damage. Setup sweepers such as Belly Drum Linoone and Swords Dance Samurott also work well with Skuntank if it runs Memento, allowing them to have a free setup opportunity.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Rocky Helmet is an alternative item to wear down physical attackers such as Klinklang and Swords Dance Shiftry. Explosion softens one of the foe's Pokemon and safely brings another Pokemon onto the battlefield. Roar lets Skuntank phaze special sweepers such as Lilligant, Mesprit, and Musharna, as well as wear down Pokemon in tandem with entry hazards, while Haze eliminates the stat boosts outright. Play Rough gives Skuntank a way to deal more damage to Fighting-types, but doing so forces it to give up either Poison Jab or Sucker Punch, hindering its overall effectiveness. Acid Spray might seem appealing for a special attacking set, but Skuntank is already strapped for moveslots, making it hard to fit on a set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Rhydon, Torterra, and Sandslash are very threatening Pokemon for Skuntank, as they are physically bulky enough to take hits from Skuntank with ease and can force Skuntank out with Earthquake. Rhydon also takes advantage of Skuntank to freely set up Rock Polish or Swords Dance, but it does fear Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Grass.

**Fighting-types**: Sawk, Primeape, and Gurdurr resist Skuntank's Dark-type STAB moves and threaten it with their respective STAB moves. Gurdurr in particular is bulky enough to stomach any hit and can even take advantage of Poison Jab, if it activates Guts.

**Physical Attackers**: Skuntank is usually overwhelmed by strong physical attackers due to its middling Defense, so Pokemon such as Archeops, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Kabutops, and Samurott can easily take it on, and the former three are even able to avoid Aftermath damage with Earthquake.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
  • 84 Speed EVs ensure Skuntank outslows minimum Speed Xatu, allowing Skuntank to take it down with Pursuit when it uses U-turn, as well giving it enough Speed to outspeed neutral nature Cacturne and Exeggutor
Let me just say that Defog shouldn't even be listed as an option on the current set, because physical Defog Skunk is a bad idea; it loses to almost every hazard setter in the tier bar SR Mesprit and gets forced out so getting the Defog off is almost meaningless. This Skunk variant should at least pose a veritable threat to them.

name: Defog
move 1: Defog
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
nature: Modest

Specially offensive LO Skunk takes advantage of the fact that most hazard setters are less specially bulky. Fire Blast lets Skunk roast Ferroseed, Mawile, and especially Pawniard (which will try to switch in on the Defog or just in general), 2HKOes Torterra on the switch, and deters eager Klinklang from setting up, while still functioning as a good anti-Grass move for Skunk to have (particularly against Shiftry). HP Grass is mainly for tank Rhydon (216+ SpA Life Orb Skuntank Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 208-250 (50.2 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) and Carracosta, but it can also be used to OHKO Rock-type setup sweepers like Rock Polish Rhydon, Carracosta, and Barbaracle. Dark Pulse is chosen as the main STAB to smack Psychics, but more importantly to give Skunk the advantage over Garbodor. I don't know for certain whether Sludge Bomb or even Sucker Punch have a place in this set, but this is just a preliminary set for now.

The EV spread is the part where I am struggling a bit with atm. I went with an incredibly straightforward spread for now because I felt that power and Speed are more favorable for LO Skunk than bulk (most notably helping Skunk combat Mesprit and Shiftry better, as well as outspeeding +Spe Barbaracle).

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, but this is QC ready now.

Not entirely sold on the second set, so I'd like some QC input on it.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
I used the set Punch posted, and it has been working out really well. Its more of a lure set so I wouldn't mind seeing it in OO but a full set wouldn't be that bad. HP Grass is great for luring in Quag + Rhydon and Fire Blast is just great coverage. The loss of Poison STAB does hurt Skunk a lot though since it becomes a lot harder to check Lilligant / MegaDino so maybe a mention of Sludge Bomb or Poison Jab should be on the set. I'll wait for other QC to give their opinions before QCing the rest. Also the EV Spread should be to outspeed base 70s which is 144 unless people think this spread should just go max speed.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No strong opinions on the second set either, though if we are doing it, I really don't think Defog should be the main purpose of it since from what I've seen it's far from necessary. I'd much rather see Defog moved to slot 4 with Sucker Punch slashed and possibly Sludge Bomb slashed with Dark Pulse. Defog + 3 special attacks seems super situational anyway.

Punchshroom

I mean the whole point of specially offensive Skunk is to have a much easier time keeping hazards off the field from the likes of Rhydon, Carracosta, and Garbodor; if you wanted a more offensive variant of Skunk then physically mixed Skunk is probably better for that since it has a stronger Sucker Punch and Poison Jab hits most Sludge Bomb targets harder. Skunk only needs a mere 40 SpA EVs (without Life Orb) to 2HKO Dual Dance Rhydon with HP Grass anyway.

I like Blast's suggestion, as the set still has value in luring most conventional answers to Skuntank, I just don't think it's a good Defog user and I'm inclined to list it in moves or even OO.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i'll try out special defog skunk so i know how it plays, but on paper im not sure if i like it. its not like im using defog to beat the stealth rock user, im using it to beat the stealth rocks. idk if that makes sense, but i'd say about 50% of the time i look to remove hazards with a defogger, i wont be bringing it in on the hazard setter. i'll test more in practice and get some numbers, but i'm just not sure how much i value 2hko spdef rhydon with hp grass

Punchshroom

i'll try out special defog skunk so i know how it plays, but on paper im not sure if i like it. its not like im using defog to beat the stealth rock user, im using it to beat the stealth rocks. idk if that makes sense, but i'd say about 50% of the time i look to remove hazards with a defogger, i wont be bringing it in on the hazard setter. i'll test more in practice and get some numbers, but i'm just not sure how much i value 2hko spdef rhydon with hp grass
The idea of Defog Skunk is to like not immediately get put in an awful disadvantage against the numerous hazard setters in the tier since most can easily just reset the hazards while forcing out Skunk with no issues. Physical Skunk falls prey to almost every Stealth Rocker (or indeed, nearly every hazard setter in general) in the tier while special Skunk at the very least gives most of them pause. Btw Hootie, add that Dark Pulse deals reliable damage against Garbodor.

On the other hand, if you're using Skunk purely as a mixed lure instead of as a Defogger (like Blast's and metaphysical's suggestions), physically mixed Skunk is probably what you're looking for, rather than specially invested Skunk; I don't really see the appeal of specially mixed Skunk as a lure when its special moves don't need to be powered up that much for its targets (as per mentioned, only 40 SpA EVs are needed for Dual Dance Rhydon) whereas Skunk's physical STAB does more damage against its primary targets (Lilligant, MAudino, Musharna, etc.) and u get a stronger Sucker Punch.

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

[OVERVIEW]
  • Great typing lets it check Musharna, Mesprit, Audino, Haunter, Shiftry, and Lilligant, as well as give it the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes
  • Access to Pursuit lets it trap a myriad of Pokemon, making an excellent offensive support mon, while Sucker Punch lets it deal with more offensive teams
  • Good utility moves in Taunt and Defog that allow to shut down bulky Pokemon and clear the field of hazard respectively
  • Aftermath lets it serve as an emergency check to various physical attackers
  • Threatened by common Ground- and Fighting-type Pokemon such as Rhydon and Sawk
  • Average stats all around leave Skuntank with middling bulk and only decent Attack
[SET]
item: Black Sludge
evs: 24 HP / 232 Atk / 168 SpD / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that allows Skuntank to pick off some offensive Pokemon
  • Pursuit allows Skuntank to trap Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon such as Musharna, Mesprit, Haunter, and Mismagius
  • Poison Jab lets Skuntank reliably damage Grass-types such as Shiftry, Cacturne, and Lilligant, as well as 3HKO Mega Audino
  • Taunt lets Skuntank shut down defensive Pokemon such as Musharna and Mega Audino, as well prevent slower Pokemon from setting up any hazards
  • Crunch can be used if a reliable Dark-type STAB is needed to prevent Klinklang from setting up for free Also helps against pokemon like Musharna / Mesprit that can slow U-Turn or Baton Pass out of Skunk to dodge pursuit
Set Details
========
  • 232 Attack EVs plus an Adamant nature reaches a jump point and allows Skuntank to 3HKO Mega Audino
  • 24 HP EVs reaches a Black Sludge number, which lets it recovery one additional point of recovery after the end of the turn
  • 84 Speed EVs ensure Skuntank outslows minimum Speed Xatu, allowing Skuntank to take it down with Pursuit when it uses U-turn, as well giving it enough Speed to outspeed neutral nature Cacturne and Exeggutor
  • The rest of the EVs go into Special Defense to let Skuntank better check special attackers such as Lilligant, Cacturne, Mesprit, and Audino
  • Black Sludge gives Skuntank consistent recovery that allows it to last a bit longer
  • Lum Berry can also be used to Pursuit trap Ghost-types that use Will-O-Wisp Also mentions it helps check Lilligant better, due to the fact it can just kill it with Poison Jab after Sleep Powder
  • Aftermath is chosen to damage physical attackers after they KO Skuntank
Mention a spread that runs more speed in order to hit like base 70s. 144 Spe with a neutral nature is good for that, and there are other spreads you can put down as well, as I really don't want people thinking this really complex spread is the only way to go for Skuntank

Usage Tips
========
  • Use Skuntank's typing to switch into Pokemon such as Lilligant, Shiftry, Musharna, Mesprit, and Exeggutor
  • Use Pursuit on a Pokemon's anticipated switch, to heavily damage or eliminate them from the match
  • When using Sucker Punch, be wary of Will-O-Wisp and Substitute users, as they can take advantage of Skuntank
  • Similarly, while Skuntank switches into both Haunter and Mismagius easily, it must watch out for Will-O-Wisp if it is not holding a Lum Berry
  • Use Taunt to shut down defensive Pokemon such as Audino and Musharna, as well as prevent Pokemon from using any non-attacking moves, easing prediction with Sucker Punch
  • Taunt is also useful for shutting down slower hazard setters such as Garbodor and Crustle
Team Options
========
  • Fighting-types, most notably Sawk and Primape pair incredibly well with Skuntank, as both appreciate the Pursuit support Skuntank provides, allowing both to easily wallbreak. Primape also has access to U-turn, which works great with its ability to lure in Ghost- and Psychic-types for Skuntank to trap.
  • Calm Mind Mesprit pairs well, as Skuntank is able to eliminate both Musharna and Mega Audino, two Pokemon that are bulky enough to stomach Mesprit's boosted attacks. Skuntank also traps faster Ghost-types that threaten Mesprit such as Haunter, Rotom, and Mismagius.
  • Swords Dance Kabutops and Samurott appreciate Skutank's ability to switch into Lilligant and Shiftry and threaten both with Poison Jab, making it easier for Samurott and Kabutops to clean late-game. Mixed Samurott and Floatzel also threaten problematic Ground-types such as Rhydon and Torterra,
  • Lilligant is a great partner, as it threatens Rhydon with its Grass STAB, while Skuntank eliminates Mega Audino, one of the few Pokemon bulky enough to take Lilligant's attacks after a Quiver Dance. Mention liligant also takes care of bulky rock / ground types for Skunk
[SET]
move 4: Sucker Punch / Defog
nature: Mild / Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Dark Pulse is Skuntank's most reliable Dark-type STAB, dealing heavy damage to Musharna, Mesprit, and Exeggutor, while dealing reliable damage to Garbodor
  • Sludge Bomb is another option for a reliable Poison-type STAB to hit Mega Audino, as well as Grass-types much harder Mention Lilligant here
  • Fire Blast hits many common switch ins to Skuntank such as Pawniard, Mawile, and Ferroseed Also Mention Vileplume, since it is a good switch in to the other set and it takes like 90 from Fire Blast
  • Hidden Power Grass deals heavy damage to many common Stealth Rock users such as Rhydon and Carracosta And Qaugsire
  • Sucker Punch gives Skuntank strong priority, allowing it to give it use against faster offensive Pokemon
  • Defog is an alternative to remove all entry hazards from the field, making Skuntank act as a team supporter Mention the reason this set can run defog well is because it beats Common Stealth Rock setters by luring them in and then it can make sure Hazards Stay off for the rest of the match
Set Details
========
  • Maximum Special Attack EVs plus a Modest nature allow Skuntank to hit as hard as possible
  • Mild nature should be chosen if using Sucker Punch to preserve Skuntank's Attack
  • Maximum Speed EVs allows Skuntank to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, most notably outspeeding Modest Mesprit
  • Life Orb is chosen for the significant boost in power, as Skuntank's attacks would be weak without it
  • Aftermath is used to wear down physical attacks to KO Skuntank
112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe Rash was the spread I used because you outspeed neutral base 70s with it, mainly Ludicolo / Samurott

Usage Tips
========
  • This set is designed to lure in conventional answers to Skuntank such as Rhydon, Mawile, and Weezing
  • This set also has a better matchup against hazard setters, allowing Skuntank to run Defog, supporting its teammates
  • Generally Defog should be used against a Pokemon that cannot do much in return, such as Lilligant and Shiftry
  • Do not directly switch into Stealth Rock users, as they all have a way to threaten Skuntank Like which SR users (Rhydon and Costa)
  • This set has much less longevity and is worn down much faster due to Life Orb, so do not use Skuntank recklessly by switching in to powerful neutral hits
Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that appreciate hazards being removed Archeops and Swellow pair well. They also appreciate Skuntank's ability to lure in Rhydon, a common answer for both Pokemon.
  • Ice-types such as Vanilluxe and Aurorus pair well, as they threaten Rhydon and Torterra, benefit from hazard support, while Skuntank lures in and takes down problematic Steel-types with Fire Blast.
  • Sawk is another good partner, as it prefers to have the field cleared of hazards to perserve Sturdy, allowing Sawk to eliminate faster Pokemon, while Skuntank takes out Psychic-types with Dark Pulse.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Rocky Helmet is an alternative to wear down physical attackers such as Klinklang and Swords Dance Shiftry
  • Memento allows Skuntank to weaken an opposing Pokemon whilst sacrificing itself, allowing a sweeper to set up with ease
  • Punishment allows Skuntank to heavily damage bulky Calm Mind users such as Musharna
Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Rhydon, Torterra, and Sandslash are very threatening Pokemon for Skuntank, as they are physically bulky enough to take hits from Skuntank with ease, while forcing Skuntank out with Earthquake. Rhydon also uses Skuntank to freely set up Rock Polish or Swords Dance, but it does fear Life Orb boosted Hidden Power Grass.

**Fighting-types**: Sawk, Primape, and Gurdurr resist Skuntank's Dark-type STAB and threaten with Close Combat and Drain Punch respectively. Gurdurr in particular is bulky enough to stomach any hit, and even takes advantage of Posion Jab, which can potentially activate Guts.

**Physical Attackers**: Skuntank is usually overwhelmed by strong physical attackers due to its very middling Defense, so Pokemon such as Archeops, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Kabutops, and Samurott all deal heavy damage, while the former three able to avoid Aftermath damage with Earthquake.
Bolts and I talked this over and we wouldn't be opposed to slashing Lum on the main set as it allows it to better check mons especially with it being a check to Ghost Types with Wisp and Lilligant
Nice Work QC 1/3

Last edited:

Punchshroom

Other Options
=============
  • Rocky Helmet is an alternative to wear down physical attackers such as Klinklang and Swords Dance Shiftry
  • Memento allows Skuntank to weaken an opposing Pokemon whilst sacrificing itself, allowing a sweeper to set up with ease
  • Punishment allows Skuntank to heavily damage bulky Calm Mind users such as Musharna
- Mention that Punishment's incredibly low PP make it an unfavorable Dark STAB to rely on for neutral hits.

There are a couple of options I'd like to add in OO:
- Explosion can be mentioned alongside Memento, softening up a foe instead of crippling its offenses
- Roar, but isn't particularly necessary for Skunk as it handles most special attacking boosters like Psychic-types and Quiver Dancers, while it should stay away from physical attacking boosters
- Haze, but same reasons as above
- Acid Spray can be interesting on special Skunk, but it doesn't really have the moveslot for it as it wants both coverage and reliable STAB
- Play Rough for Fighting-types, but Poison Jab already hits Fighting mons decently and being able to hit Mega Audino is much more important

QC 2/3

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Skuntank has incredible typing in Poison / Dark that allows it to check many threatening Pokemon including Musharna, Mesprit, Mega Audino, Shiftry, Lilligant, and Haunter. Access to Pursuit lets it trap a myriad of Pokemon, making Skuntank an excellent support Pokemon for offensive teams, whereas Sucker Punch gives it a way to harass frail offensive Pokemon. Skuntank isn't a one dimensional physical attacker either, as it's also able to run a special attacking set thanks to its decent movepool, with coverage options such as Fire Blast to take down its conventional checks. Skuntank also has good utility moves such as Taunt and Defog that allow it to either shut down defensive Pokemon or clear entry hazards from the field. Aftermath lets Skuntank also serve as an emergency check to physical attackers, shaving off some of the foes HP as it goes down. However, Skuntank is left vulnerable by common Ground- and Fighting-type Pokemon such as Rhydon and Sawk. Average stats overall doesn't help Skuntank either, as it's left with middling bulk and only decent Attack.

1. I'd like this reworded a bit to emphasize that the typing is unique in the tier, maybe something like "Skuntank's excellent Posion / Dark typing gives it a very unique set of resistances..."
2. I get what this is saying but it just seems weird when its only using one actual coverage move (Hp grass doesnt really count), I dont think the mention of Fire Blast deserves a mention in the overview. When coverage to hit something's checks is mentioned in the overview its generally in the context of a wide coverage movepool, which isnt really the case here.
3. I dont think fighting types are extremely threatening to skunk that would warrant mentioning it here, just leave it at how it struggles versus the common ground types in the tier

[SET]
evs: 24 HP / 232 Atk / 168 SpD / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that allows Skuntank to pick off some offensive Pokemon. Pursuit allows Skuntank to trap Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon such as Musharna, Mesprit, Haunter, and Mismagius. Poison Jab lets Skuntank reliably damage Grass-types such as Shiftry, Cacturne, and Lilligant, as well as 3HKO Mega Audino. Taunt gives Skuntank a way to shut down defensive Pokemon such as Musharna and Mega Audino, as well prevent slower Pokemon from setting up any hazards. Crunch can be used if a reliable Dark-type STAB is needed to prevent Klinklang from setting up for free, as well as deal reliable damage to Mesprit and Musharna. crunch hits xatu as well, thats an important target

Set Details
========

232 Attack EVs plus an Adamant nature reaches a jump point and allows Skuntank to 3HKO Mega Audino with Poison Jab. 24 HP EVs reaches a Black Sludge number, which lets it recover one additional point of HP at the end of the turn. 84 Speed EVs ensure Skuntank outslows minimum Speed Xatu, allowing Skuntank to take it down with Pursuit when it uses U-turn, as well giving it enough Speed to outspeed neutral nature Cacturne and Exeggutor. The rest of the EVs go into Special Defense to let Skuntank better check special attackers such as Lilligant, Cacturne, Mesprit, and Audino. Black Sludge gives Skuntank consistent recovery that allows it to last a bit longer. Lum Berry can also be used to Pursuit trap Ghost-types that use Will-O-Wisp, as well as well avoiding being put to sleep from Lilligant's Sleep Powder. Aftermath is chosen to damage physical attackers after they KO Skuntank. An alternative EV spread of 24 HP / 232 Atk / 108 SpD / 144 Spe can be used to let Skuntank outspeed neutral base 70 Speed Pokemon such as Ludicolo and Samurott.

mention that if using lum berry you dont need the hp evs

Usage Tips
========

Use Skuntank's typing to switch into Pokemon such as Lilligant, Shiftry, Musharna, Mesprit, and Exeggutor. When anticapting an opposing Pokemon's switch, use Pursuit to heavily damage or eliminate them from the match. When using Sucker Punch, be wary of Will-O-Wisp and Substitute users, as they can take advantage of Skuntank by using it as setup fodder. Similarly, while Skuntank switches into both Haunter and Mismagius easily, it must watch out for Will-O-Wisp if it's not holding a Lum Berry. Use Taunt to shut down defensive Pokemon such as Audino and Musharna, as well as prevent Pokemon from using any non-attacking moves, easing prediction with Sucker Punch. Taunt is also useful for shutting down slower hazard setters such as Garbodor and Crustle.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types, most notably Sawk and Primape pair incredibly well with Skuntank, as both appreciate the Pursuit support Skuntank provides, allowing both to easily wallbreak. Primape also has access to U-turn, which works great with its ability to lure in Ghost- and Psychic-types for Skuntank to trap. Calm Mind Mesprit pairs well, as Skuntank is able to eliminate both Musharna and Mega Audino, two Pokemon that are bulky enough to stomach Mesprit's boosted attacks, while Mesprit is able to switch into Ground-type attacks aimed at Skuntank due to Levitate. Skuntank also traps faster Ghost-types that threaten Mesprit such as Haunter, Rotom, and Mismagius. Swords Dance Kabutops and Samurott appreciate Skutank's ability to switch into Lilligant and Shiftry and threaten both with Poison Jab, making it easier for Samurott and Kabutops to clean late-game. Mixed Samurott and Floatzel also threaten problematic Ground-types such as Rhydon and Torterra. Lilligant is a great partner, as it threatens Ground- and Rock-types with its Grass STAB, while Skuntank eliminates Mega Audino, one of the few Pokemon bulky enough to take Lilligant's attacks after a Quiver Dance.

a bit nitpicky but eliminating is best used in the context of pursuit trapping, so I'd reword it to something like "can deal with/shut down/handle/take on" etc

[SET]

make fire blast move 1 and hp grass move 2 since those are what make this set the lure in the first place and re-order the sentences in moves

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Pulse is Skuntank's most reliable Dark-type STAB, dealing heavy damage to Musharna, Mesprit, and Exeggutor, while dealing reliable damage to Garbodor. Sludge Bomb is another option for a reliable Poison-type STAB to hit Mega Audino and Lilligant. Fire Blast hits many common switch ins to Skuntank such as Pawniard, Mawile, Ferroseed, and Vileplume. Hidden Power Grass deals heavy damage such as Rhydon, Carracosta, and Quagsire. Defog allows Skuntank to remove all entry hazards from the field, making it act as a team supporter. This set in particular utilizes Defog well because it is able to beat common hazard setters by luring them in, making it easier to keep hazards off the field. Sucker Punch gives Skuntank strong priority, allowing it have use against faster offensive Pokemon.

Give memento a moves mention here since the move fits well on this set due to the offensive nature it plays and memento + fire blast pairs really well with linoone and some other setup mons which like steels removed
memento + linoone is fucking broken I swear

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs plus a Modest nature allow Skuntank to hit as hard as possible. Mild nature should be chosen if using Sucker Punch to preserve Skuntank's Attack. Maximum Speed EVs allows Skuntank to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, most notably Modest Mesprit. Life Orb is chosen for the significant boost in power, which makes up for Skuntank's lacking Special Attack. Aftermath is used to wear down physical attackers if they KO Skuntank. An EV spread of 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe with a Modest nature gives Skuntank more bulk and lets it outspeed up to neutral base 70 Speed Pokemon such as Ludicolo and Samurott

mention black glasses here, no slash

Usage Tips
========

This set is designed to lure in conventional answers to Skuntank such as Rhydon, Mawile, and Weezing. It also has a better matchup against hazard setters, allowing Skuntank to run Defog, supporting its teammates. Generally Defog should be used against a Pokemon that cannot do much in return, such as Lilligant and Shiftry. Do not directly switch into Stealth Rock users such as Rhydon and Carracosta, as they all have a way to threaten Skuntank. This set has much less longevity and is worn down much faster due to Life Orb, so do not use Skuntank recklessly by switching in to powerful neutral hits.

I think one of the ideas punch had in mind with this set was that it could lure in the stealth rockers with hp grass and by threatening them out (lets say you hit a rhydon with hp grass on the switch and have a scyther in the back they'd most likely want to preserve it for later) it can take advantage of this opportunity to defog, add a sentence about that

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate hazards being removed Archeops and Swellow pair well. They also appreciate Skuntank's ability to lure in Rhydon, a common answer for both Pokemon. Ice-types such as Vanilluxe and Aurorus pair well, as they threaten Rhydon and Torterra, benefit from hazard removal support, while Skuntank lures in and takes down problematic Steel-types with Fire Blast. Sawk is another good partner, as it prefers to have the field cleared of hazards to perserve Sturdy, allowing Sawk to eliminate faster Pokemon, while Skuntank takes out Psychic-types with Dark Pulse. Mesprit is a decent partner, as it appreciates Skuntank's ability to switch into and eliminate Ghost-types while in return, Mesprit is able threaten Fighting-types such as Sawk and Gurdurr, switch into Ground-type attacks thanks to Levitate, as well as restore Skuntank's HP with Healing Wish if it has been worn down too much by Life Orb recoil plus residual damage.

1. I'm not going to say that ice types are bad partners but I dont agree with this reasoning. Whats the point of having teammates that threaten rhydon and torterra if this set is designed to lure them in and hit with a coverage move? If anything these would make better teammates for the first set despite it not using defog.

2. This set isnt running pursuit so reword that

mention setup sweepers that can take advantage of memento

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Rocky Helmet is an alternative item to wear down physical attackers such as Klinklang and Swords Dance Shiftry. Memento allows Skuntank to weaken an opposing Pokemon whilst sacrificing itself, allowing a sweeper to set up with ease, while Explosion softens one of the foe's Pokemon and safely brings another Pokemon. Punishment allows Skuntank to heavily damage bulky Calm Mind users such as Musharna, but its limited PP makes it an unreliable attack to use. Roar lets Skuntank phaze special attacking sweepers such as Lilligant, Mesprit, and Musharna, while Haze eliminates the stat boosts outright. Play Rough gives Skuntank a way to deal more damage to Fighting-types, but doing so sacrifices either Poison Jab or Sucker Punch, hindering its overall effectiveness. Acid Spray may seem appealing for a special attacking set, but Skuntank is already strapped for moveslots, making it hard to fit on a set.

remove memento, and remove punishment since taunt already deals with cm psychics
note that roar also racks up entry hazards, someone mentioned spikes + roar skunk recently and the idea of it sounds decent

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Rhydon, Torterra, and Sandslash are very threatening Pokemon for Skuntank, as they are physically bulky enough to take hits from Skuntank with ease, while forcing Skuntank out with Earthquake. Rhydon also uses Skuntank to freely set up Rock Polish or Swords Dance, but it does fear Life Orb boosted Hidden Power Grass.

**Fighting-types**: Sawk, Primape, and Gurdurr resist Skuntank's Dark-type STAB and threaten with Close Combat and Drain Punch respectively. Gurdurr in particular is bulky enough to stomach any hit, and even takes advantage of Posion Jab, which can potentially activate Guts.

**Physical Attackers**: Skuntank is usually overwhelmed by strong physical attackers due to its very middling Defense, so Pokemon such as Archeops, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Kabutops, and Samurott all deal heavy damage, while the former three able to avoid Aftermath damage with Earthquake.
Changes/comments in bold, QC 3/3
Feel free to ask me any questions if I want clear on something or if you disagree with one of my points.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize / Fix)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Skuntank's incredible Posion Poison / Dark typing gives it a very unique set of resistances that allows it to check many threatening Pokemon including Musharna, Mesprit, Mega Audino, Shiftry, Lilligant, and Haunter. Access to Pursuit lets it trap a myriad of Pokemon, making Skuntank an excellent support Pokemon for offensive teams, whereas Sucker Punch gives it a way to harass frail offensive Pokemon. Skuntank also has good utility moves, (AC) such as Taunt and Defog, (AC) that which allow it to either shut down defensive Pokemon or and clear entry hazards from the field, respectively. Aftermath lets Skuntank also serve as an emergency check to physical attackers, shaving off some of the foe's (apostrophe) HP as it goes down. However, Skuntank is left vulnerable threatened by common Ground-type Pokemon such as Rhydon, Torterra, and Quagsire. Average stats overall doesn't don't help Skuntank either, as it's left with middling bulk and only decent Attack.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that allows Skuntank to pick off some offensive Pokemon. Pursuit allows Skuntank to trap Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon such as Musharna, Mesprit, Haunter, and Mismagius. Poison Jab lets Skuntank (double space)reliably damage Grass-types such as Shiftry, Cacturne, and Lilligant, as well as 3HKO Mega Audino. Taunt gives Skuntank a way to shut down defensive Pokemon such as Musharna and Mega Audino, as well prevent slower Pokemon from setting up any entry hazards. Crunch can be used if a reliable Dark-type STAB move is needed to prevent Klinklang from setting up for free, as well as and to deal reliable damage to Xatu, Mesprit, and Musharna.

Set Details
========

232 Attack EVs plus with an Adamant nature reaches a jump point and allows Skuntank to 3HKO Mega Audino with Poison Jab while also reaching a jump point. (I'm really no fan of these overly technical terms... put the more tangible benchmark first in any case, but yeah, if a less abstract way to word this would come to mind I'd have removed the term "jump point" too cause most people who read this analysis won't know what it is) 24 HP EVs reaches a Black Sludge number, which lets it recover one additional point of HP at the end of the turn maximize Black Sludge recovery. (same here) 144 Speed EVs allow Skuntank to outspeed neutral-natured base 70 Speed Pokemon such as Ludicolo and Samurott. The rest of the EVs go into Special Defense to let Skuntank better check special attackers such as Lilligant, Cacturne, Mesprit, and Audino. Black Sludge gives Skuntank consistent recovery that allows it to last a bit longer. Lum Berry can also be used to Pursuit trap Ghost-types that use Will-O-Wisp, as well as well avoiding being put to sleep from Lilligant's Sleep Powder. If using a Lum Berry, the 24 HP EVs can be moved into Special Defense instead. Aftermath is chosen to damage physical attackers after they KO Skuntank. An alternative EV spread of 24 HP / 232 Atk / 168 SpD / 84 Spe can be used to ensure that Skuntank outslows minimum Speed Xatu, allowing Skuntank to take it down with Pursuit when it uses U-turn, while giving Skuntank more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Use Skuntank's typing to switch into Pokemon such as Lilligant, Shiftry, Musharna, Mesprit, and Exeggutor. When anticapting anticipating an opposing Pokemon's switch, use Pursuit to heavily damage or eliminate them it from the match. When using Sucker Punch, be wary of Will-O-Wisp and Substitute users, as they can take advantage of Skuntank by using it as setup fodder. Similarly, while Skuntank switches into both Haunter and Mismagius easily, it must watch out for Will-O-Wisp if it's not holding a Lum Berry. Use Taunt to shut down defensive Pokemon such as Audino and Musharna, as well as prevent Pokemon from using any non-attacking moves, easing prediction with Sucker Punch. Taunt is also useful for shutting down slower entry hazard setters such as Garbodor and Crustle.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types, most notably Sawk and Primeape, (AC) pair incredibly well with Skuntank, as both they appreciate the Pursuit support Skuntank provides, allowing both them (you're still talking about Fighting-types in general, with Sawk and Primeape being mere examples--if you really want to put the focus on those two here / if these changes introduce content errors, you'll have to break the "Fighting-types" thing off and rework it into a separate sentencee) to easily wallbreak. Primape also has access to U-turn, which works great with its ability to lure in Ghost- and Psychic-types for Skuntank to trap. Calm Mind Mesprit pairs well, as Skuntank is able to eliminate both Musharna and Mega Audino, two Pokemon that are bulky enough to stomach Mesprit's boosted attacks, while Mesprit is able to switch into Ground-type attacks aimed at Skuntank due to Levitate. Skuntank also traps faster Ghost-types that threaten Mesprit such as Haunter, Rotom, and Mismagius. Swords Dance Kabutops and Samurott appreciate Skuntank's ability to switch into Lilligant and Shiftry and threaten both with Poison Jab, making it easier for Samurott and Kabutops to clean late-game. Mixed Samurott and Floatzel also threaten problematic Ground-types such as Rhydon and Torterra. Lilligant is a great partner, as it threatens Ground- and Rock-types with its Grass STAB type, while Skuntank shuts down Mega Audino, one of the few Pokemon bulky enough to take Lilligant's attacks after a Quiver Dance.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Pulse is Skuntank's most reliable Dark-type STAB move, dealing heavy damage to Musharna, Mesprit, and Exeggutor (RC) while dealing reliable damage to Garbodor. Alternatively, Sludge Bomb is another option for can be used as (there's no primary "option for a reliable Poison-type STAB move", so Sludge Bomb can't be "another" option, hence some rewordings) a reliable Poison-type STAB move to hit Mega Audino and Lilligant. Fire Blast hits many common switch-ins (add hyphen) to Skuntank, (AC) such as Pawniard, Mawile, Ferroseed, and Vileplume. Hidden Power Grass deals heavy damage to (some category including Pokemon) such as Rhydon, Carracosta, and Quagsire. Defog allows Skuntank to remove all entry hazards from the field, making it act as a team supporter. This set in particular utilizes Defog well because it is able to beat common hazard setters by luring them in, making it easier to keep hazards off the field. Alternatively, (AC) Sucker Punch gives Skuntank strong priority, allowing it have use against faster offensive Pokemon. Memento is another decent option that weakens a foe, allowing a sweeper to get a free opportunity to set up.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs plus a Modest nature allow Skuntank to hit as hard as possible. If you run Sucker Punch, a Mild nature should be chosen if using Sucker Punch to preserve Skuntank's Attack. Maximum Speed EVs allows allow Skuntank to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, most notably Modest Mesprit. Life Orb is chosen for the significant boost in power, which makes up for Skuntank's lacking Special Attack. Black Glasses is another option if the recoil proves to be an issue, but it leaves Skuntank's coverage moves is significantly weaker. Aftermath is used to wear down physical attackers if they KO Skuntank. Alternatively, (AC) an EV spread of 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe with a Modest nature gives Skuntank more bulk and lets it outspeed up to neutral-natured base 70 Speed Pokemon, (AC) such as Ludicolo and Samurott.

Usage Tips
========

This set is designed to lure in conventional answers to Skuntank such as Rhydon, Mawile, and Weezing. It also has a better matchup against entry hazard setters, allowing Skuntank to effectively run Defog, supporting and support its teammates. Generally Defog should be used against a Pokemon that cannot do much in return, such as Lilligant and or Shiftry. Do not directly switch Skuntank into Stealth Rock users such as Rhydon and Carracosta, as they all have a way to threaten Skuntank. This set has much less longevity and is worn down much faster due to Life Orb, so do not use Skuntank recklessly by switching in to it into powerful neutral hits.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate entry hazards being removed, (AC) such as Archeops and Swellow, (AC) pair well with Skuntank. They also appreciate Skuntank's ability to lure in eliminate Rhydon, a common answer for to both Pokemon. Sawk is another good partner, as it prefers to have the field cleared of hazards to perserve preserve Sturdy, allowing Sawk to and reliably eliminate faster Pokemon (RC) while Skuntank takes out Psychic-types with Dark Pulse. Mesprit is a decent partner, as it appreciates Skuntank's ability to switch into and check Ghost-types while in return, Mesprit is able threaten Fighting-types such as Sawk and Gurdurr, switch into Ground-type attacks thanks to Levitate, as well as and restore Skuntank's HP with Healing Wish if it has been worn down too much by Life Orb recoil plus and residual damage. Setup sweepers such as Belly Drum Linoone and Swords Dance Samurott also work well with Skuntank utilizing if it runs Memento, allowing them to have a free setup opportunity.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Rocky Helmet is an alternative item to wear down physical attackers such as Klinklang and Swords Dance Shiftry. Explosion softens one of the foe's Pokemon and safely brings another Pokemon onto the battlefield. Roar lets Skuntank phaze special attacking sweepers such as Lilligant, Mesprit, and Musharna, as well as wear down Pokemon when paired with hazard support in tandem with entry hazards, while Haze eliminates the stat boosts outright. Play Rough gives Skuntank a way to deal more damage to Fighting-types, but doing so sacrifices forces it to give up either Poison Jab or Sucker Punch, hindering its overall effectiveness. Acid Spray may seem appealing for a special attacking set, but Skuntank is already strapped for moveslots, making it hard to fit on a set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Rhydon, Torterra, and Sandslash are very threatening Pokemon for Skuntank, as they are physically bulky enough to take hits from Skuntank with ease, while forcing and can force Skuntank out with Earthquake. Rhydon also uses takes advantage of Skuntank to freely set up Rock Polish or Swords Dance, but it does fear Life Orb-boosted (add hyphen) Hidden Power Grass.

**Fighting-types**: Sawk, Primeape, and Gurdurr resist Skuntank's Dark-type STAB moves and threaten it with Close Combat and Drain Punch respectively their respective STAB moves. Gurdurr in particular is bulky enough to stomach any hit (RC) and can even takes take advantage of Posion Poison Jab, which can potentially activate if it activates Guts.

**Physical Attackers**: Skuntank is usually overwhelmed by strong physical attackers due to its very middling Defense, so Pokemon such as Archeops, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Kabutops, and Samurott all deal heavy damage can easily take it on, while and the former three are even able to avoid Aftermath damage with Earthquake.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hootie

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

Skuntank's incredible Poison / Dark typing gives it a very unique set of resistances that allows it to check many threatening Pokemon including Musharna, Mesprit, Mega Audino, Shiftry, Lilligant, and Haunter. Access to Pursuit lets it trap a myriad of Pokemon, making Skuntank an excellent support Pokemon for offensive teams, whereas and Sucker Punch gives it a way to harass frail offensive Pokemon. Skuntank also has good utility moves, (RC) such as in Taunt and Defog, which allow it to shut down defensive Pokemon and clear entry hazards from the field, respectively. Aftermath lets Skuntank also serve as an emergency check to physical attackers, shaving off some of the foe's HP as it goes down. However, Skuntank is threatened by common Ground-type Pokemon such as Rhydon, Torterra, and Quagsire. Average stats overall don't help Skuntank either, as it's left with middling bulk and only decent Attack.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that allows Skuntank to pick off some offensive Pokemon. Pursuit allows Skuntank to trap Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon such as Musharna, Mesprit, Haunter, and Mismagius. Poison Jab lets Skuntank reliably damage Grass-types such as Shiftry, Cacturne, and Lilligant, as well as 3HKO Mega Audino. Taunt gives Skuntank a way to shut down defensive Pokemon such as Musharna and Mega Audino, as well prevent slower Pokemon from setting up any entry hazards. Crunch can be used if a reliable Dark-type STAB move is needed to prevent Klinklang from setting up for free and to deal reliable damage to Xatu, Mesprit, and Musharna.

Set Details
========

232 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allows Skuntank to 3HKO Mega Audino with Poison Jab while also reaching a jump point is the jump point pertintent to the analysis? It's not easy to understand at first glance, and is the extra attack necessary? if 232 are needed for the 3HKO, I don't think there's point in mentioning it's a jump point, and if the jump point is higher I don't think it's worth it. 24 HP EVs maximize Black Sludge recovery. 144 Speed EVs allow Skuntank to outspeed neutral-natured base 70 Speed Pokemon such as Ludicolo and Samurott. The rest of the EVs go into Special Defense to let Skuntank better check special attackers such as Lilligant, Cacturne, Mesprit, and Audino. Black Sludge gives Skuntank consistent recovery that allows it to last a bit longer. Lum Berry can also be used to Pursuit trap Ghost-types that use Will-O-Wisp, as well as well avoiding being put to sleep from Lilligant's Sleep Powder. If using a Lum Berry, the 24 HP EVs can be moved into Special Defense instead. Aftermath is chosen to damage physical attackers after they KO Skuntank with a contact move. An alternative EV spread of 24 HP / 232 Atk / 168 SpD / 84 Spe can be used to ensure that Skuntank outslows minimum Speed Xatu, allowing Skuntank to take it down with Pursuit when it uses U-turn, while giving Skuntank more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Use Skuntank's typing to switch into Pokemon such as what's common among these? It'd be good to say Grass- and Psychic-types, unless there's some other pattern I didn't ctach Lilligant, Shiftry, Musharna, Mesprit, and Exeggutor. When anticipating an opposing Pokemon's switch, use Pursuit to heavily damage or eliminate it from the match. When using Sucker Punch, be wary of Will-O-Wisp and Substitute users, as they can take advantage of Skuntank by using it as setup fodder. Similarly, while Skuntank switches into both Haunter and Mismagius easily, it must watch out for Will-O-Wisp if it's not holding a Lum Berry. Use Taunt to shut down defensive Pokemon such as Audino and Musharna, as well as prevent Pokemon from using any non-attacking moves, easing prediction with Sucker Punch. Taunt is also useful for shutting down slower entry hazard setters such as Garbodor and Crustle.

Team Options
========

Sawk and Primeape, (RC) pair incredibly well with Skuntank, as they appreciate the Pursuit support Skuntank provides, allowing them to easily wallbreak. Primape also has access to U-turn, which works great with its ability to lure in Ghost- and Psychic-types for Skuntank to trap. Calm Mind Mesprit pairs well with Skuntank, as Skuntank is able to eliminate both Musharna and Mega Audino, two Pokemon that are bulky enough to stomach Mesprit's boosted attacks, while Mesprit is able to switch into Ground-type attacks aimed at Skuntank due to Levitate. Skuntank also traps faster Ghost-types that threaten Mesprit such as Haunter, Rotom, and Mismagius. Swords Dance Kabutops and Samurott appreciate Skuntank's ability to switch into Lilligant and Shiftry and threaten both with Poison Jab, making it easier for Samurott and Kabutops to clean late-game. Mixed Samurott and Floatzel also threaten problematic Ground-types such as Rhydon and Torterra. Lilligant is a great partner, as it threatens Ground- and Rock-types with its Grass STAB type, while Skuntank shuts down Mega Audino, one of the few Pokemon bulky enough to take Lilligant's attacks after a Quiver Dance.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Pulse is Skuntank's most reliable Dark-type STAB move, dealing heavy damage to Musharna, Mesprit, and Exeggutor while dealing reliable damage to Garbodor. Alternatively, Sludge Bomb can be used as a reliable Poison-type STAB move to hit Mega Audino and Lilligant. Fire Blast hits many common switch-ins to Skuntank, such as Pawniard, Mawile, Ferroseed, and Vileplume. Hidden Power Grass deals heavy damage to such as Rhydon, Carracosta, and Quagsire. Defog allows Skuntank to remove all entry hazards from the field, making it act as a team supporter. This set in particular utilizes Defog well because it is able to beat common hazard setters by luring them in and KOing them, I believe this is how Skuntank works, right? making it easier to keep hazards off the field. Alternatively, Sucker Punch gives Skuntank strong priority, allowing it have use against faster offensive Pokemon. Memento is another decent option that weakens a foe, allowing a sweeper to get a free opportunity to set up.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs plus a Modest nature allow Skuntank to hit as hard as possible. If you run Sucker Punch, a Mild nature should be chosen to preserve Skuntank's Attack. Maximum Speed EVs allow Skuntank to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, most notably Modest Mesprit. Life Orb is chosen for the significant boost in power, which makes up for Skuntank's lacking Special Attack. Black Glasses is another option if the recoil proves to be an issue, but it leaves Skuntank's coverage moves significantly weaker. Aftermath is used to wear down physical attackers if they KO Skuntank with a contact move. Alternatively, an EV spread of 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe with a Modest nature gives Skuntank more bulk and lets it outspeed up to neutral-natured base 70 Speed Pokemon, such as Ludicolo and Samurott.

Usage Tips
========

This set is designed to lure in conventional answers to Skuntank such as Rhydon, Mawile, and Weezing. It also has a better matchup against entry hazard setters, allowing Skuntank to effectively run Defog and support its teammates. Generally Defog should be used against a Pokemon that cannot do much in return, such as Lilligant or Shiftry. Do not directly switch Skuntank into Stealth Rock users such as Rhydon and Carracosta, as they all have a way to threaten Skuntank. This set has much less longevity and is worn down much faster due to Life Orb, so do not use Skuntank recklessly by switching it into powerful neutral hits.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate entry hazards being removed, such as Archeops and Swellow, pair well with Skuntank. They also appreciate Skuntank's ability to eliminate Rhydon, a common answer to both Pokemon. Sawk is another good partner, as it prefers to have the field cleared of hazards to preserve Sturdy and reliably eliminate faster Pokemon while Skuntank takes out Psychic-types with Dark Pulse. Mesprit is a decent partner, as it appreciates Skuntank's ability to switch into and check Ghost-types, (AC) while in return, (RC) Mesprit is able threaten Fighting-types such as Sawk and Gurdurr, switch into Ground-type attacks thanks to Levitate, and restore Skuntank's HP with Healing Wish if it has been worn down too much by Life Orb recoil and residual damage. Setup sweepers such as Belly Drum Linoone and Swords Dance Samurott also work well with Skuntank if it runs Memento, allowing them to have a free setup opportunity.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Rocky Helmet is an alternative item to wear down physical attackers such as Klinklang and Swords Dance Shiftry. Explosion softens one of the foe's Pokemon and safely brings another Pokemon onto the battlefield. Roar lets Skuntank phaze special sweepers such as Lilligant, Mesprit, and Musharna, as well as wear down Pokemon in tandem with entry hazards, while Haze eliminates the stat boosts outright. Play Rough gives Skuntank a way to deal more damage to Fighting-types, but doing so forces it to give up either Poison Jab or Sucker Punch, hindering its overall effectiveness. Acid Spray may might seem appealing for a special attacking set, but Skuntank is already strapped for moveslots, making it hard to fit on a set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Rhydon, Torterra, and Sandslash are very threatening Pokemon for Skuntank, as they are physically bulky enough to take hits from Skuntank with ease and can force Skuntank out with Earthquake. Rhydon also takes advantage of Skuntank to freely set up Rock Polish or Swords Dance, but it does fear Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Grass.

**Fighting-types**: Sawk, Primeape, and Gurdurr resist Skuntank's Dark-type STAB moves and threaten it with their respective STAB moves. Gurdurr in particular is bulky enough to stomach any hit and can even take advantage of Poison Jab, if it activates Guts.

**Physical Attackers**: Skuntank is usually overwhelmed by strong physical attackers due to its very middling Defense, so Pokemon such as Archeops, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Kabutops, and Samurott can easily take it on, and the former three are even able to avoid Aftermath damage with Earthquake.

2/2

Last edited:
This is now done

Thanks everyone

And GatoDelFuego I went ahead and removed the whole jump point line and regarding the comment in usage tips on the first set, there's no real specific category that those Pokemon fit in, it's just Pokemon that Skuntank is able to check, so unless it needs to be stated as "Use Skuntank's typing to switch into Pokemon it checks such as...", then I'll just leave it as is.

Edit @ below: alright got it

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is now done

Thanks everyone

And GatoDelFuego I went ahead and removed the whole jump point line and regarding the comment in usage tips on the first set, there's no real specific category that those Pokemon fit in, it's just Pokemon that Skuntank is able to check, so unless it needs to be stated as "Use Skuntank's typing to switch into Pokemon it checks such as...", then I'll just leave it as is.
"Pokemon it checks," please :>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)