1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Skuntank (Update)

Discussion in 'Locked / Outdated Analyses' started by Age of Kings, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Xia

Xia aka Lone Gansel
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I'll go back through and grab other things when I'm more awake. This sentence caught my eye as I skimmed the OP.
  2. Eo Ut Mortus

Eo Ut Mortus Elodin Smells
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Also, on the first set, is there any reason why Crunch shouldn't be slashed with Sucker Punch?
  3. Age of Kings

Age of Kings

Yeah, I agree Crunch is too common to be stashed into AC. I just wrote a small note about it, so I might as well add it as a slashit now.
  4. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Well I actually have a couple problems with this, but I wouldn't forsure change anything until we know if Cresselia is banned, since that is the main reason to use Skuntank.

Anyway, I really don't like the use of Poison Jab on Skuntank in UU because it hits Blaziken as the only "major" difference that Crunch would have. Crunch is useful because of how common Cresselia is. Sucker Punch is still needed, and so is Explosion obviously. I also think you need to replace Pursuit / Return with Fire Blast, because that's another one of the reasons to use Skuntank. Drapion in particular has trouble with Steelix where as Skuntank can 2HKO it.

Also, I don't think the Choice Band set is viable in this metagame. Choice Band Sucker Punch is not great, and with poor coverage it really is a waste. Other than that it looks pretty good.
  5. Age of Kings

Age of Kings

This was written before Cress was in UU, so I wouldn't know about any of that.

Fire Blast is currently in OO because it requires a Lonely nature and some SpA investment to achieve a secure 2HKO, and I don't feel it should be staying in Steelix in the first place. Running no investment or Adamant with it I feel has not purpose. Since the set is physically oriented and is a write-up of the most common set I've seen, I feel the last slot should remain the same. You have a good point about Poison Jab, I mostly included it for secondary STAB and the poison might be useful against something (sort of like how people run Body Slam > Return for paralysis chance, nicer side effect), I might move it to OO. There's a few things that you didn't mention that it could be useful against, but it's situational.

Sucker Punch isn't even listed in the CB set, but it was a leftover from the original analysis. I would imagine it would have some use and CB Explosion sounds appealing. I'll hold off an axing it for now.
  6. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Well once we face the fact: no one uses Skuntank, then we should move on think of "why someone should use it".

Clearly Drapion is a better Poison/Dark physical sweeper, but it's beaten by steelix.
    Clearly Absol is a better Sucker Puncher / Pursuiter, but it can't take out the bulkiest of Pokemon in one hit (such as Blastoise or Donphan).

I think we need to emphasize that Skuntank can do these things, but also beat Steelix and Explode on physical walls.

I just think this is what's important, and anything else is really just there "for the hell of it".

Can you name a situation where CB Explosion does the job but LO Explosion doesn't? If not, then I do suggest you remove it if that is your main reason not to.
  7. Snorlaxe

Snorlaxe 2 kawaii 4 u
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Changes in blue
    Removals in red
    Comments in green

[Overview]

<p>Skuntank is often overlooked in favor of its more defensive Dark / Poison counterpart Drapion or more powerful Dark-types like Absol. However, Skuntank has a few unique factors that set it apart from these other Pokemon, most notably its access to Explosion, a movepool that can effectively back it up, and the Speed to use it. With base 103 HP, Skuntank also lacks the utter fragility of other UU offensive Dark-types, and when it does go down, Aftermath takes 25% off the opposing Pokemon's HP if Skuntank fell to a contact attack. This coupled with Skuntank's neutrality to Fighting-type moves commonly carried by fragile Psychic- and Ghost-types make it one of the most dependable switch-ins to these Pokemon. Skuntank's ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, take down faster threats with Sucker Punch, and Explode on enemy walls make it a wonderful and unique addition to any UU team.</p>

[SET]
    name: Non-Choiced Physical Attacker
    move 1: Sucker Punch
    move 2: Explosion
    move 3: Poison Jab / Crunch
    move 4: Pursuit / Return
    item: Life Orb / Leftovers
    ability: Aftermath
    nature: Adamant
    evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Taking advantage of Skuntank’s STAB and Explosion, this set is the UU standard. Sucker Punch deals massive damage to faster, more fragile Pokemon who dare attack Skuntank; in many cases it is able to revenge kill something that is sweeping your team. Skuntank is one of only two Dark-types that have access to Explosion (the other being Shiftry), which complements its STAB since few Ghost-types will switch into it. If Skuntank is low on health or an enemy wall is giving your team problems, it can Explode and potentially turn the game in your favor. Poison Jab is Skuntank’s secondary STAB attack, and it does not require the opponent to attack in order to work. While Poison-type attacks have relatively poor super effective coverage, it is balanced out by great neutral coverage. Crunch can be used over Poison Jab if you prefer having reliable Dark-type STAB. Since a number of Ghost-types like to use Substitute, it might be to your advantage to run it. [dumb / odd sentence I would remove personally] The last move is up to preference: Pursuit is a death trap for fragile Psychic- and Ghost-types, who are unable to switch out without being KOed. Return is mostly for dealing damage to enemy Skuntank and Toxicroak, who resist Skuntank's STAB.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Skuntank’s niche is being a somewhat bulky check to Psychic- and Ghost-types and should be played as such. With Life Orb, Sucker Punch / Crunch OHKOes every major Ghost-type in UU except for Spiritomb, as well as every offensive Psychic-type. Defensive Psychic-types such as Claydol, Mesprit, and Uxie are 2HKOed. While it can deal significant damage to certain other Pokemon such as bulky Grass-types, this set is more designed to eliminate the aforementioned Pokemon in order to make room for a sweep, rather than to sweep by itself.</p>

<p>The EVs are straightforward: max Attack to boost Skuntank’s decent Attack stat, and max Speed to outrun Modest Magmortar. [now I don't play a lot of UU but isn't Magmortar a fairly uncommon Pokemon?]</p>

<p>Steel-types completely wall this set so it is ideal for your team to have Fire- or Ground-type attacks available. Moltres and Charizard are excellent partners since in addition to Fire-type STAB, they are also immune to Skuntank’s only weakness, Ground-type attacks. Many Rock-types have the defenses to weather Skuntank’s moves, even if they risk being poisoned, with the likes of Aggron being part Steel as well. Claydol can switch in on these Pokemon thanks to its Ground-type immunity, and appreciates Skuntank removing its Ghost-, Dark-, and Grass-type foes. Water-types like Blastoise can also eliminate the Rock-types, backed by Skuntank’s Poison-type STAB that destroys Grass-types that dare try to wall them.</p>

[SET]
    name: Choice Band
    move 1: Crunch / Pursuit
    move 2: Poison Jab
    move 3: Explosion
    move 4: Return / Double-Edge
    item: Choice Band
    nature: Adamant
    evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band Skuntank improves on the power of the basic physical attacker, making it a more potent threat. Crunch returns as a main form of STAB, but Pursuit can nab you a few KOs on fleeing opponents. Poison Jab acts as a secondary STAB move that doesn’t leave Skuntank short on power if you choose to run Pursuit over Crunch. A Choice Banded Explosion is extremely dangerous, dealing on average 74% to a standard Careful Registeel, 82% to Rhyperior that run no HP or Defense EVs, and 57% to standard Regirock and Steelix. Because it does colossal damage to even things that resist it, Explosion should never be used until you are certain all enemy Ghost-types are KOed. The last move defeats certain enemies who resist Crunch and Poison Jab: the choice between Return and Double-Edge rests on personal preference, and depends on whether you prefer extra power or no recoil damage.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sucker Punch is absent from the main options because it requires more prediction than usual for a Choice Band set. If opponents catch on to the fact that Skuntank is holding a Choice Band, then anything can come in on Sucker Punch and have a free set up while Skuntank sits and does zero damage, wasting valuable PP.</p>

<p>The EVs are straightforward for a sweeper: max Attack to hit as hard as you can with Choice Band, and max Speed to outrun all base 80s unless they run a positive nature.</p>

<p>While Raikou shares a Ground-type weakness with Skuntank, Skuntank can remove Chansey and give Raikou time to set up. Poison Jab comfortably 2HKOes walls like most Tangrowth, Chansey, and Lanturn, in addition to offensive Venusaur. Specially-based Water-types like Milotic are good partners as they have the added bonus of defeating foes such as Weezing and Donphan who cause Skuntank problems.</p>

[SET]
    name: Trapper
    move 1: Taunt
    move 2: Pursuit
    move 3: Sucker Punch
    move 4: Toxic / Poison Jab / Roar
    item: Leftovers
    nature: Careful
    evs: 240 HP / 16 Spe / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Taunt set-uppers and force them to attack or switch; then hit them with one of your strong STAB moves. The main advantage Skuntank has over Spiritomb is improved Speed that lets it better take advantage of Taunt because Skuntank can actually outrun things, preventing it from being set-up fodder for Pokemon like Umbreon. Roar is also something Spiritomb cannot do and is a useful option if you have entry hazard support. Toxic depletes the health of Pokemon who think they can try and wall you, while Poison Jab provides secondary STAB with a 30% chance of poisoning the opponent. In the way of supporting a stall team, Skuntank has another important niche over Spiritomb: it absorbs Toxic Spikes and cannot be poisoned itself.</p>

<p>The EVs are designed to maximize Skuntank’s staying power. This, coupled with its immunity to Poison, allows it to effectively stall out Pokemon like Milotic, Lanturn, Chansey, and even opposing Spiritomb, in addition to its regular duties in KOing fragile Psychic- and Ghost-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This Skuntank is stall-oriented, unlike its previous offensive sets; it performs best when adequately supported by its team. Wish support from Chansey, Clefable, or Gardevoir is essential to its success, since it lacks any form of healing. Skuntank can OHKO a Dugtrio with Sucker Punch if a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock are down, so entry hazards will be important. Skuntank can help Cloyster lay them on the field and buy time for it to Rapid Spin due to being specially defensive and resisting Grass-type attacks. As usual, Skuntank likes Pokemon who resist or are immune to Ground-type attacks; having Pokemon like Tangrowth or Claydol will greatly increase Skuntank's longevity.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Skuntank (like most offensive Pokemon) appreciates Stealth Rock support, as it is crucial for guaranteeing certain OHKOs and 2HKOs. Skuntank does well on any bulky or heavy offense team, cleaning up the opponent's [saying "enemy's" isn't incorrect by any means, it just isn't often used in the analysis and we do want to try and establish some defined terms] team lategame with a combination of strong priority attacks and Explosion. Espeon, Alakazam, and Mismagius are good late-game sweepers who benefit from Skuntank removing some of their usual counters, as well as appreciating its resistances to Dark- and Ghost-type attacks. Fighting-types in general are excellent teammates for Skuntank. Skuntank can remove faster Ghost- and Psychic-types who pose a threat to them, while the Fighting-types can remove the Steel-types who wall Skuntank, and sweep unopposed. Since Skuntank gets STAB on Poison-type moves, it can be a nice companion for bulky Water-types, removing enemy Grass-types like Tangrowth and Sceptile as they check some of Skuntank’s usual counters. Pokemon who resist or are immune to Ground-type attacks like Claydol have been mentioned several times, and for good reason: Skuntank only has one weakness (sadly a common one), and Earthquake does not activate Aftermath.</p>

Good job so far, tired now but will probably edit other options and counters soon (if I can remember to! :P). One thing that I notice about your writing is that you tend to sometimes just say "Ground" as opposed to "Ground-type". Remember to always put the hyphen! Overall good job though. ;)
  8. Oglemi

Oglemi it's me heysup's gay friend, the legendary gaysup
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

This has been Updated and Uploaded. Moving.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)