Slaking

I doubt it would ignore traunt because technically you do go first.You Loaf around first anyway....And EVEN if it is what you claim it to be which im pretty sure its not then even so whats the point?You still just wasted a turn using the move anyway...

I loled when I saw that postpone move bolded in the OP.
I really doubt that it does what you just suggested, Acklow
I can see it now.

Slaking used Postpone! (Text about biding it's time)
Enemy used Protect! But it failed!

Slaking is loafing around!
Enemy used Quick Attack!
:naughty:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Slaking now has another way of boosting that prodigious attack stat of his, outside of Choice band. Yeah claw sharpen isn't amazing, but it adds some versatility.

I think the mummy scenario is a bit of a gimmick. Stall isn't looking too attractive in Gen V anyway. Plus you waste a slot for pursuit. Slaking is still too much of a liability to be used seriously in competitive battling

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Slaking now has another way of boosting that prodigious attack stat of his, outside of Choice band. Yeah claw sharpen isn't amazing, but it adds some versatility.

I think the mummy scenario is a bit of a gimmick. Stall isn't looking too attractive in Gen V anyway. Plus you waste a slot for pursuit. Slaking is still too much of a liability to be used seriously in competitive battling
I personally do not see anyone using stat-up moves on Slaking. Truant means that your opponent has an extra free turn to use to knock you out or (P)Haze you.

The whole Mummy strategy will probably be the similar to Skill Swap was in previous generations: a gimmick. Slaking is good, but not so good that it would be worth sacrificing a teammate to function normally.

I personally do not see anyone using stat-up moves on Slaking. Truant means that your opponent has an extra free turn to use to knock you out or (P)Haze you.

The whole Mummy strategy will probably be the similar to Skill Swap was in previous generations: a gimmick. Slaking is good, but not so good that it would be worth sacrificing a teammate to function normally.
You don't have to sacrifice a teammate to get Slaking to lose Truant, and the strategy is perfectly viable in single battles.

Slaking could also be used alongside a Pokemon with Simple Beam in Doubles and Triples: you only waste one attack and you make a Swords Dance set so much easier to set up.

lol people are forgetting that even if slaking gets mumy ability the oponents sends something to force slaking out(so many) slaking switches go back for truant ability lol
this pokemon has the worst ability in game ever even regigigas ability is better lol

This is completely viable.
As Thorhammer said, you do not sacrifice a pokemon. Read this:

100% ------ 100%

Gyarados switched to Desukan!
Aggron used Head Smash!
Desukan lost 33%
Aggron's ability changed to Mummy!

100% ----- 67%

Desukan switched to Slaking!
Aggron used Head Smash!
Slaking lost 60%
Slaking's ability changed to Mummy!

^ -------- ^
Doh! ----- Lol.

The real problem with having the opponent contract Mummy from Desukan and having Slaking come in and Pursuit the newly mummified Pokemon to get it himself is that Choice Band no longer becomes a viable option. You'd be choice locked into Pursuit since switching out removes the Mummy ability. And Slaking really needs Choice Band to fully abuse his strength. This is for single battles, by the way.

lol people are forgetting that even if slaking gets mumy ability the oponents sends something to force slaking out(so many) slaking switches go back for truant ability lol
this pokemon has the worst ability in game ever even regigigas ability is better lol
Good luck with that. Excellent type coverage, one of the best Attack stats in the game, and speed and more than enough bulk to back it up, and only one weakness, which can easily be covered with a type-resist berry. Slaking doesn't need a Choice Band when he can just walk over your opponent's team.

Azure Demon

Thor getting rid of slaking won't be hard all you need is a strong special attacker like the fire moth (can't remember his name), zoroark, gengar, ect
Or a pokemon like roopushin is a strong physical attack who can bulk up and punch it's damn face in

This is completely viable.
As Thorhammer said, you do not sacrifice a pokemon. Read this:

100% ------ 100%

Gyarados switched to Desukan!
Aggron used Head Smash!
Desukan lost 33%
Aggron's ability changed to Mummy!

100% ----- 67%

Desukan switched to Slaking!
Aggron used Head Smash!
Slaking lost 60%
Slaking's ability changed to Mummy!

^ -------- ^
Doh! ----- Lol.
Yes i understand its viable...But the thing is so what? You just wasted about 3 turns just to get your Slaking out of Traunt.You also took 30% on your Desukan and 60% on your Slaking on the process.Remember that you can consider it as somewhat of a set up move because if you switch out its all gone..So why not just use these two turns instead to get your Lucario and SD?Wouldn't it be simply much more effective?

Ok, forgetting all about Mummy strategy (but not totally)...

It's very VERY sad this poke still doesn't learn U-Turn. I mean, it's THE perfect move to avoid the Truant shit, scout and do some real damage all in one without resorting on Mummy strategies...

Ok, forgetting all about Mummy strategy (but not totally)...

It's very VERY sad this poke still doesn't learn U-Turn. I mean, it's THE perfect move to avoid the Truant shit, scout and do some real damage all in one without resorting on Mummy strategies...
"Resorting" to a Mummy strategy? It's not some impractical gimmick that you have to "resort" to; it's a simple and effective strategy.

Can you avoid Truant effect (on single battles) without using this strategy?
Thought so.
Jirachi can't outspeed Gengar and faster Pokemon without a Choice Scarf. Would you say Jirachi has to "resort" to a Choice Scarf to flinch them with Iron Head?

Saying you have to resort to an option doesn't just mean it's the only option. It implies that the option is a sub-par one, which Mummyking is not.

You need to resort on Mummy to GET RID OF TRUANT. Not to use Slaking.
Do you know any other way of getting rid of Truant on a single battle?

If you do, tell me and i'll shut my mouth up. I've been wrong many times anyway...

Also: i never said you need to rely on this strategy to get Slaking to work. But to get rid of Truant on single battles (again, if i'm not wrong). And that's ONLY if you want to, since Slaking still works with Truant.

You need to resort on Mummy to GET RID OF TRUANT. Not to use Slaking.
Do you know any other way of getting rid of Truant on a single battle?

If you do, tell me and i'll shut my mouth up. I've been wrong many times anyway...

Also: i never said you need to rely on this strategy to get Slaking to work. But to get rid of Truant on single battles (again, if i'm not wrong). And that's ONLY if you want to, since Slaking still works with Truant.
As I already explained, none of that makes it so that you have to "resort" to using Mummy. It's an effective strategy, therefore it's not something you have to "resort" to using.

Whether or not you have another way to get rid of Truant is irrelevant. As I explained, just because you have only one way one way to do something doesn't make it something you have to "resort" to doing.

'sigh'...
I quit. I don't like repeating myself.

Just saying one last thing (nothing to do with the discussion):

Slaking also has Bulk Up, so it's probably better to use this instead of using Claw Sharpen to boost your atk (if you want to boost it, that is). With Slack Off and BU at it's disposal, it would mean Slaking relies only on Return and Pursuit to deal damage. Forfeiting Slack Off means it can be worn down or revenged more easily, but aslo opens up a good slot for a coverage move.

If i would put this strategy to use, i would use:

Slaking @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Ability: Adamant
-Bulk Up
-Return
-Pursuit
-Slack Off / Earthquake /Fire Punch

Desukan can do whatever it wants to. But i like CM myself.

basing a pokemon's set around whether the opponent has a certain pokemon or not is stupid and gimmicky. desukan is never gonna be high enough in usage to make slaking any better.

basing a pokemon's set around whether the opponent has a certain pokemon or not is stupid and gimmicky. desukan is never gonna be high enough in usage to make slaking any better.
That is not the strategy. The strategy is using your own Desukan to pass Mummy to your opponent's Pokemon, which can be done simply by switching in.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
All this Desukan business is gimmicky as gimmicky gets.

If you're using your own Desukan, you need to rely on your opponent attacking you physically- something that very well may not happen due to them not wanting Mummy. Then, you're stuck with Slaking on your team, the best it being able to do is hit-and-run, giving your opponent huge, gaping opportunities to set up on you.

If you aren't using your own Desukan... well, I'm not going to go into why that's a terrible idea.

Really, Truant just renders Slaking completely useless. Easily the worst ability in the game next to Slow Start and Faint of Heart.

All this Desukan business is gimmicky as gimmicky gets.

If you're using your own Desukan, you need to rely on your opponent attacking you physically- something that very well may not happen due to them not wanting Mummy. Then, you're stuck with Slaking on your team, the best it being able to do is hit-and-run, giving your opponent huge, gaping opportunities to set up on you.

If you aren't using your own Desukan... well, I'm not going to go into why that's a terrible idea.

Really, Truant just renders Slaking completely useless. Easily the worst ability in the game next to Slow Start and Faint of Heart.
Mummy isn't normally a major concern. And even if they wouldn't intentionally use such a move against Desukan, you could simply switch Desukan into any easily predicted contact move. Contact moves take up such a large percentage of physical moves that your opponent will have to use a few eventually.

Admittedly, if the change of viewing teams before battle becomes standard, which it might, the strategy will be rendered completely unusable. But there's no reason to assume it will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)