XY Ubers Sleep Paralysis Team

This is a team I have been toying around with, it does fairly well. I love status effects and hadn't played around with paralysis much, so I decided to give it a shot. This team's goal is to basically annoy and cripple into submission then clean up what is left.

EARLY GAME SHENANIGANS

Darkrai (Knightmare) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid Nature
Taunt
Dark Void
Dark Pulse
Focus Blast
Darkrai is my lead. Optimally, first turn Dark Void will put things out of commission and force a switch. I have Taunt on there because I have no other Taunt users and they are very important. That way, after I put the opponent to sleep, I can switch while they switch or I can Taunt what comes in. Taunt also helps to guarantee 100% that Stealth Rock doesn't come out since Dark Void would leave a 20% chance. The EVs and nature are to be as fast and powerful as possible, typical really. The Lum Berry lets me get one mistake with Darkrai, which helps immensely. Since I switch him out ASAP, he can also function as late game clean up crew.

Groudon (Thudbutt) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Def/4 Atk/252 HP
Impish Nature
Thunderwave
Dragon Tail
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Groudon is my follow up pokemon or backup lead if I feel it is not safe to use Darkrai. His job is to set up Stealth Rock, then paraphaze as many pokemon as possible. Earthquake is on there for STAB and to hit Blaziken and annoying steel types. The EVs and nature maximize physical bulk and allow him to stay out as long as possible. The Leftovers help with this, obviously.

Lugia (Larry) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SpD/4 Def/252 HP
Thunderwave
Whirlwind
Substitute
Roost
Here is where the annoyance really begins. Normally, Groudon will be lucky to paralyze two pokemon before dying. Lugia is here to finish the job. With proper timing and prediction this guy can paralyze a whole team, rack up Stealth Rock damage, and just be annoying as hell. His sole purpose in life is paraphazing, which he does VERY well. Some might think Dragon Tail would work better over Whirlwind, but fairy types will wall Lugia and make this strategy fairly useless, sure it is a trade in for him being Taunt bait, but for some reason I don't encounter Taunt much in Ubers. EVs, nature, and Leftovers max special bulk allowing him to stay in a very long time, especially considering many Ubers are special attackers.

LATE GAME SHENANIGANS

Shaymin-Sky (Fluffy) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 HP
Modest Nature
Air Slash
Seed Flare
Leech Seed
Synthesis
This little guy serves a dual role. Firstly, he can come in late game, for you know, shenanigans. After a whole team has been paralyzed Air Slash becomes deadly what with the whole paraflinching hub bub and all that jazz. Seed Flare nails those annoying Kyogre and opposing Groudon as well as other ground types that cannot be paralyzed. Finally, Leech Seed, Leftovers, and Synthesis lets me stall out a wall if need be, say, one I didn't get a chance to paralyze or sleep. EVs are to give him max power and a little bulk. His nature works towards power. Ideally, I am not worrying about speed at this point in the game so speed investment seems a waste.

Arceus-Normal (Belial) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk/252Spe/4 HP
Adamant Nature
Swords Dance
Extreme Speed
Shadow Claw
Roar
This guy also serves a dual role, late game clean up and panic button. STAB Extreme Speed is so good it is unreal. This allows for easy late game clean up. His other role is basically just to be Extreme Speed Arceus. If all else fails and its seems I may lose why not pop a Swords Dance and sweep their whole team? Yeah, why not. Shadow Claw is there to hit Ghosts and Psychics *Lugia cough cough.* Roar is there because of Stealth Rock and to screw over set-up sweepers. Nature and EVs maximize power and speed as I don't want to rely on paralysis to hit with Shadow Claw.

Zekrom (Thane) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 HP
Brave Nature
Bolt Strike
Dragon Claw
Crunch
Stone Edge
This guy is here for only one reason, late game clean up. He hits like a truck, has decent bulk, and (with the opponent's team paralyzed) does not need to be fast, he will out speed them anyway. Bolt Strike for STAB and amazing damage, the rest for coverage. I am a bit unsure on Stone Edge, though. This guy is meant just to be a massive power house and the EVs and nature are to accomplish this.

Note: Assume 0 Atk IVs on non-physical pokemon.

This team has three main weaknesses, Taunt (which I rarely encounter), status healing moves like Aromatherapy and Heal Bell, and bad luck with Whirlwind/Dragon Tail. It does win fairly often and causes a lot of rage quits.

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wait did you just say taunt is rare?

In general the team loses to a lot of common threats, enough that I would have to rebuild this team from bottom up, sorry man. ParaShuffling is cool, but not super effective in general since it's very easy to play around, especially since most offense has taunt in spades, and most stall is equipped with a cleric.

I will optimize a bit, run Tailwind MixedKrom > current, SubSeed Skymin over current, etc. also Lugia is a bad fit on offense, js.

Good luck regardless, I apologize if this wasn't too helpful, I just feel like it is better to rebuild than to fix something that is almost too broken to rebuild. If that comes across as harsh, I again am sorry.

Then why does it work? IDK why taunt is not a problem for me, but it isn't. Doesn't win everytime but at least 50%. Proper prediction is required, though.

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Then why does it work? IDK why taunt is not a problem for me, but it isn't. Doesn't win everytime but at least 50%. Proper prediction is required, though.
Well likely you aren't high enough on the ladder that any competent opponents are playing you :)
If I can guess, i'd say you are <1400. Am I correct?

Hello fren, interesting team you got there. Finding this type of team is always......interesting. Although your team is pretty complete already, I have a few changes that will make it slightly better.

First thing and most important change, I suggest you to use Mixed Zekrom over your current set. This set well benefits from your paralysis and sleep spam as it gives it free turns and allows it to be faster than mostly everything in the Ubers metagame, that, combined with Zekrom's sheer strength, makes it a total disaster for most (if not every) teams. Anyways, the EVs are the following: 160 Atk / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd with a Naughty nature, this allows you to 2HKO Groudon and Ferrothorn (common Zekrom switch-ins) with Draco Meteor and Focus Blast respectively. Some speed is needed for speed creeping pokemon like Ho-Oh and max HP Xerneas and the rest in attack to hit as strong as possible. As for the moves, Bolt Strike hits everything really hard, nothing that is not a resistance appreciates switching into this and also, 30% of paralysing the opponent is not too shabby either. Dragon Claw is a very good physical Dragon STAB move, I prefer this over Outrage because of Fairys' ability to revenge kill Zekrom if locked into it, but that's just me. Draco Meteor OHKOs max HP Landorus-T and 2HKOs Max HP Groudon on the switch-in. And Focus Blast allows you to 2HKO Ferrothorn on the switch-in.

Zekrom @ Life Orb
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 160 Atk / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Claw
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast

As a side note, I highly suggest you to use Substitute over Synthesis on Skymin, Skymin doesn't really benefit from Synthesis at all since it's pretty frail and Substute is easy to get up as Skymin forces a lot of switches and makes it even harder to kill, Skymin under a substitute is just a pain in the neck, especially with all the paralyzed pokemon your opponent will have at that point.

Good luck :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)