Slendermons :D

Hey guys, HonestConman here. So, I've done several of these RMTs by now, to varying degrees of goodness, but I'm trying to make this one special. The team I'm about to show you guys is one that's actually kind of close to me. I've been using this team off and on for a better part of the last 6-10 months or so. It's the first team I actually created on my own without going to Smogon to help me every step of the way. I went to several team builders, double, and triple checked different combinations, and even decided to run with a little theme (kudos if you get it :D). Overall, I love this team. It's a blast touse, and I've enjoyed moderate amounts of success with it. It's seen a few member changes here and there (notable older editions included Sharpedo, Cofagrigus, and Gallade), but I've stuck with my guns mostly. Still, it lacks something...I don't know if it's my skil as a battler or teambuilding that's lacking, but something's keeping this team from truly becoming stunning. I figured, there's no better place than here to come and try to fix the latter. Any help you guys can give would be great! Anyways, on to the team.

PREVIEW

]

STARTING OFF STRONG

Deadhead (Steelix) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturydy
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
IVs: 0 Spd
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic
-Dragon Tail
-Gyro Ball

This Steelix set is the thing that actually made me kind of appreciate strategic stall play. He plays a huge roll n this team, providing the only hazards and constantly shuffling and poisoning Pokes if a team has lost its main check to him. Steelix is a defensive monster: he takes most hits (even some super-effective ones) on the physical side for days, and I've had games where my opponent hasn't even gotten the opportunity t pull a safe switch simply because they had nothing prepared to break it. Nidoqueen's prevalence nowadays makes it harder than it once was to completely wreck house with just this one Poke, and Steelix seems to have lost its luster a little. Still, Steelix is one of the members who's been with this team since its conception, and I do appreciate the "Strudy-ness" (sorry, bad pun) that he brings to this team)

A (KIND OF) PERFECT COMPLEMENT

Cursor (Dusknoir) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Calm
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Def / 252 SpD
-Substitute
-Curse
-Pain Split
-Night Shade

Having a Ghost type around has always been a necessity for this team in my mind. With only one Poke around to set up hazards, it's essential that they be kept up for as long as possible, and a Ghost type also stops the plethora of Fighting moves that always seem to be aimed Steelix's way. I will admit, for the brief while Cresselia was floating around RU, I enjoyed using her, but for being a Poke as criticized as Dusknoir is, she's actually not half bad. Dusknoir's main aim is to break stall Pokes like Slowking, Ferroseed, Clefable, and others who can't really do all that much, and then Sub/Curse/Pain Split until all threats have been reduce to a manageable level. Having a special wall, something I never expected Dusknoir could do, is also a huge boon and something this team had been lacking for a while (I was using Cofagrigus in this role for a while...don't ask). Dusknoir is a very pleasant surprise success on this team

THE ODDBALL

Swain (Hitmonchan) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
-Mach Punch
-Ice Punch
-Thunderpunch
-Close Combat

This unique little set was made back in that horrifying era when Sharpedo was running train on RU. I needed something with priority to make quick work of it, and as it so happened, a STAB Iron Fist Choice Banded Mach Punch one-shots Sharpedo clean after Stealth Rocks, and no one would ever see it coming. Nowadays, I realize Chan's better suited as a spinner, but this thing still runs so much train...it's what keeps me from switching back to Gallade honestly. With Hitmonchan, Ferroseed and Clefable are no longer an issue, and having another form of priority after Entei dies is nice too. Hitmonchan is also my physical "cleanup hitter" of choice, as there's not much that can stand up to a barrage of CB Close Combats late game. Hitmonchan may be weird, but I do have an odd fondness for him

THE STEADFAST KILLER

Persolus (Entei) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Sd
-Flare Blitz
-ExtremeSpeed
-Stone Edge
-Iron Head

Entei's always been a bit of an odd one in this team. He complements everything somewhat well, he gives me a FWG core, and there's not too many better revenge killers than RU's mini version of Arcanine. However, he's the only Stealth Rock weak Poke on the team, which is a pain, he's not as potent a physical threat as Hitmonchan or Crawdaunt are now, and ever since I stopped running Choice Band after Hitmonchan's arrival, Life Orb just seems to run him dry all too quickly. I still see flashes of greatness from Entei from time to time, and his special gifts are very much appreciated, but as much as I'd hate to see an origincal member of the team go, I almost think he might be this team's most expendable member. If only Flash Fire were legal...

THE WALL-SHREDDER

Firebrand (Rotom-C) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
-Trick
-Leaf Storm
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Fire

Now here is a team member who ALWAYS pulls his weight. Even with the wrong item on him (again...don't ask), Rotom-C shreds through teams like no ones business. He does everything: he's my only special attacker in a tier that's very short on special walls, he's a handy Ground immunity, he has the only pivot move on the team and is thus a very handy prediction aid, he nullifies any defensive threat...the list goes on. Rotom has been with this team since its inception for a reason: I don't think there's been a match in which it hasn't toppled one giant or another. And before everyone jumps on me, yes, I will remember to give him a Scarf at some point, whenever I remember.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST...

Mr. Scars (Crawdaunt) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Brick Break

I'm just nw beginning to realize how many immunities I have on this team...maybe I'm better at this than I thought. Anyways, I had some doubt about how Crawdaunt might work out after I switched him in once Sharpedo was ungraciously thrown out of RU, since it was at a point when no one was using him, but those were quickly assuaged once he put on his tux and began doing work. A identical typing to Sharpedo and an almost-as-good ability makes Crawdaunt a very potent threat. I can usually find time to set up on something like a Slowking, and then it's off to the races. Crawdaunt is still very much underrated on this team, and I won't deny that he's quite frail, but every match he still manages to sneak in something that helps massively. Odd...

Well, that's about it. This team is by no means perfect: lack of a rapid spinner, more hazards, a shortage of bulk, and a very obvious weakness to Nidoqueen is still a problem for this team. That being said, I love this team a lot, and I hope I've at least done a good job laying the foundation. I hope to hear some helpful input from you guys.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hiya Honest:

It's always nice to see people perfect their team over an extended period of time :')

I'm gonna try to make your team as efficient as possible!

First, Dusknoir just isn't as bulky as you might think and the primary reason to choose it over other Ghost-types is its ability to beat Cryogonal, which you team has an easy time taking down with Hitmonchan and Entei. Offensive Spiritomb is a great replacement for Dusknoir. It is a great spinblocker that can beat Kabutops and Cryogonal, and adds great priority, which is never a bad thing! Also, Hitmonchan is really powerful, but Ghost-type Pokemon can easily run its Iron Fist STAB-Boosted Close Combats and Spiritomb can also fulfill the duty of Pursuit trapping opposing Ghost-types. Another great addition is that Spiritomb can cripple physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp, which could otherwise be troublesome for your team. The loss of Dusknoir does hurt you a bit when handling stall teams, but they aren't too popular nowadays, so it doesn't hurt you.

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses
Adamant | Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp

BlackGlass doesn't lock you into one attack, and thus setup bait, and BlackGlasses powers up the attacks you use most anyway.

Second, a Choice Band on Hitmonchan loses most of his advantages to other Fighting-types like Medicham and Hitmonlee. Hitmonchan has a versatile movepool and it wants to pound the enemy with coverage attacks, rather than switch in and out. It can't switch in easily either due to lackluster bulk and absence of handy resistances. Life Orb is a great item on Hitmonchan. With Life Orb, Hitmonchan is a very dangerous Pokemon that can use its good coverage to hit many Pokemon super effectively. With the change in items, there is a bit of a power loss, but that is quickly made up thanks to the coverage. Also, don't use Rapid Spin Hitmonchan it isn't that great...

Third, Entei doesn't learn Close Combat n.n ... but with Entei being the only Pokemon that is weak to Stealth Rock its a bit of an oddball. I suggest Choice Band Emboar to replace Entei. Now, your team wants to pave a way to a Crawdaunt sweep and Emboar is a great wallbreaker thanks to its sheer power with Choice Band. Additionally, Emboar isn't weak to Stealth Rock. Emboar can take down bulky Water-types with Wild Charge, and can switch into Grass-types and hit them with Flare Blitz. The downside is that Emboar is way slower and has less bulk, and no priority attacks, but priority is well taken care of with Spiritomb and Hitmonchan.

Emboar @ Choice Band
Adamant | Blaze
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Fourth, I think Rotom-C is an excellent pivot, but its usefulness to your team is hindered with Choice Specs, which lets it to a predictable Volt Switch, which is easily stopped. Exper Belt is a great item that still gives Rotom-C the power boost it wants, but doesn't detract from its bulk, and still fools the opponent that you have a choice item. Rotom-C wants a few tools in its movepool to be really useful to the team. Thunder Wave is highly needed, as your Pokemon aren't the fastest, and Emboar performs best when it hits first, and it gives Crawduant a bit of breathing room. Volt Switch and Leaf Storm are the STAB attacks, and Hidden Power Fire is to hit Escavalier, but most importantly Grass-types, that would otherwise prove problematic for the team.

Rotom-C @ Expert Belt
Timid | Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power Fire

Lastly, Crawdaunt wants Substitute or Superpower in its last attack. Brick Break is simply too weak to be really useful, and Superpower has the power. Substitute is also useful to avoid status affliction and make setup easier, but Substitute needs to be used with Leftovers or Lum Berry, because otherwise Crawdaunt will wear down too quickly.

Hope I helped n.n

Good Luck~

Thanks Yonko! I'll certainly make sure to try all of the suggestions. A few things though. First, Entei's third move is Stone Edge, not Close Combat -.- I must have had Arcanine on the brain when I was typing this up. I'll go back and change it real quick after I try out your suggestions. The only other thing I'm worried about is the Dusknoir/Spiritomb swap. I know from looking at other teams you've rated that you love the set (it seems to be an addendum you always make :D) but I'm afraid of losing the special bulk that Dusknoir provides. Like I noted in the RMT, the team seems to me to be very Nidoqueen weak, and the loss of a reliable special wall (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) is something I'm a little uneasy about. I'll certainly try your suggestions out later and fix the team accordingly though. Once again, thanks.

If you're going to use Gyro Ball on Steelix, why bother using Impish instead of Relaxed? It's not like Steelix is trying to outspeed much. Why not take the power boost to Gyro Ball?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)