~Sloth~ (Trick Room Team)

Hi there, this is my second RMT.
I usually refrain from posting any of my teams due to the time that it takes and the fact that I tend to use a lot of gimmicky (and admittedly, often crappy) sets. So why am I posting this team? Two reasons:

-First off, I love a little originality or anything that deviates from the standard. The main reason I'm posting this team is to inspire other people to try nonstandard strategies, like Trick Room.

-Secondly, this team has been doing pretty decently. However, I don't keep a win/loss record, nor do I use alts for every team that I make (that would require an absurd amount of alts, since I honestly enjoy team building more than battling).

-Finally, I'm bored. *broodjekebab used yawn! random RMT rater became drowsy!*

~Team building process~

I was inspired by a RMT which featured Trick Room with CBaggron in it (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65750). I couldn't resist the urge to try it. Fortunately, Slowbro pairs well with Aggron and learns TR.

After this I needed a second TR user, one that would help me defensively. Dusknoir shares Slowbro's dark and ghost weaknesses, so Porygon2 it was.

The TR team that inspired me featured Ursaring. While he seemed solid, I opted for a different guts abuser. One with STAB CC, good coverage, and a priority move.

Next I wanted a lead that could set up TR, and unexpectedly murdered Swampert. Mesprit was able to do this and more, with both SR and U-turn at its disposal.

For the last pokemon I wanted a slow swords dancer with a priority move, mach punch would be perfect for dealing with DDtar and SDluke. Breloom instantly came to mind.

By now I had the following team.

It worked decently, but struggled immensely against Rhotom. The second issue was that while TR+U-turn sounded awesome on paper, it wasn't very beneficial since most leads didn't switch out against Mesprit anyway. Regular switching would suffice, and Mesprit's typing didn't contribute much defensively. For the first problem, ScarfTtar sufficed, with the added ability to stop SDluke nicely. For the second one, leading Bronzong has proven to be useful.

Therefore, the team became the following collection of pokemon:

~Now, onto the actual mons~

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock

Bronzong is a sturdy lead, able to set up SR and TR. Gyro Ball gains some power, considering it's so damn slow. Explosion is my -oh shit- button. It's specially defensive to complement my team's needs, since I lack sp.defensive pokemon. How does it fare against the top 10 leads of December 2009?

• Azelf: Switch to Scarftar, rape it.
• Metagross: We both set up rocks. After this, I usually set up TR and they switch out.
• Swampert: We both set up rocks. After this, I usually set up TR. If it stays in and tries to kill me with surf/hydro pump, I explode. Exploding on Swampert really helps Aggron.
• Jirachi: Meh, a scarf can be nasty but I'll risk it. SR, followed by TR.
• Aerodactyl: Gyro Ball this fossil back to the ruins that spawned it.
• Infernape: Switch to Slowbro.
• Roserade: Nothing on my team likes sleep (I could give Aggron sleep talk.....), so I stay in to absorb the sleep.
• Heatran: Switch to Slowbro.
• Tyranitar: Gyro Ball works most of the time.
• Gliscor: Switch to Slowbro.

As you can see, Bronzong isn't all that great as a lead nowadays. It still fulfils an important purpose on my team, being able to lay SR, set up TR, somewhat countering Ttar and Weavile, and exploding on important threats.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Slack Off
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Flamethrower

Slowbro is a decent physical wall, and probably the best Machamp counter in the game. As for the moves, you're probably surprised at the lack of HP electric. Fortunately, P2 counters Gyarados. This Slowbro lures out Scizor (whose priority bypasses TR's effects), and murders it brutally.

Aggron (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 200 HP/252 Atk/58 SDef
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Head Smash
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch/Aqua Tail
- Brick Break

This is my main TR bruiser. I wanted to give it some sp.defense (for taking ghost and dragon attacks), so I randomly distributed it's EVs to get a pretty stat. It should have a better EV spread.
The moves: Head Smash is its weapon of choice. Fire Punch maims most steels in one shot, while Heatran is beaten by Brick Break (if not already pulverized by Head Smash). I also very much enjoy having a screen-breaker on my team. Ice punch kills Gliscor, but it's not that useful actually. Aqua Tail might be better for taking on both Gliscor and Hippowdon.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SAtk
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

The standard P2 remains ever so useful against DDgyarados and DDmence. Jolteon, Vaporeon, and Heatran don't like it much either. P2 provides a decent answer to Skarmory. It often switches, but that still allows me to get TR up.

Machamp (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Def
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Thunderpunch
- Bullet Punch
With sky-high attack while keeping freedom of moves, Flame Orb Machamp is an absolute beast. The only things that truly stops it are ghosts. Sadly Payback doesn't do much when TR is up, so Bullet Punch was chosen to kill off weakened pokes and certain threats (like LO-worn out Mence, or DDtar with Fire Punch).

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 120 Atk/252 Spd/136 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
Nom nom nom, Rhotoms tastes great. Scarf Pursuit seems strange, but it ensures some pokemon cannot live to see another day. Against defensive Rhotoms, Crunch is usually my first pick. Ice Beam kills mixMence, and Gliscor. Flamethrower kills Lucario, and sometimes gets a nice kill on Skarmory. Removing Skarmory and Gliscor helps Aggron and Machamp sweep, though they're not too bad at taking them on themselves.

~This team's bane~

-SDscizor rapes this team if TR isn't up OR Slowbro is dead. I assume most SDscizors BP my Ttar, which leaves me without a sure counter. Dusknoir with TR and FP could work, but I don't really know which team member to replace, since they all contribute to my strategy. Perhaps Bronzong could be replaced...

-NPape has a field trip if TR isn't up. Giving Scarftar EQ would remedy this, but Flamethrower is useful for catching Skarmory and Forretress off-guard.

In conclusion, I'm considering replacing Bronzong with Dusknoir, and giving Scarftar EQ instead of Flamethrower. If Dusknoir becomes my lead and Scarftar loses Flamethrower, it should probably also lose Ice Beam in favour of Stealth Rock.

Thanks for reading all of my crap. For those who scrolled to the end without reading anything....I hope you encounter lots of Jirachis in battle^^

i think that you should replace the porygon2 to porygon z because porygon z has more sp attack and i think its better then porygon2. the moves can be the same for porygon z just like porygon2. also if you want switch thunderbolt to thunder because with porygon z it will cause more damage to opponents like starmie, charizard,etc. good luck.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since you are abusing Trick Room, you don't want to be wasting time switching. This is why I would recommend changing Choice Band to Life Orb on Aggron, so you can switch attacks and sweep. On the topic of Aggron, have you considered using Earthquake over Brick Break??

Hi

In OU Aggron does better with Low Kick over Brick Break (heavier Pokemon).

You have a weakness to the fighting type. So maybe you should consider Dusknoir as a TR'er. Don't know over who though.

i think that you should replace the porygon2 to porygon z because porygon z has more sp attack and i think its better then porygon2. the moves can be the same for porygon z just like porygon2. also if you want switch thunderbolt to thunder because with porygon z it will cause more damage to opponents like starmie, charizard,etc. good luck.
Not true, Porygon-Z might be offensive, but he can never survive a +1 Outrage, Waterfall, ... , where Porygon2 can do so. Since facing Salamence and Gyarados (both have Intimidate) will copy their ability (due to Trace) right back at them.

Quick rate pick here.

scizor and infernape can rape 2/3s of this team after the trick room is over as infernape is resistant to all of t-tar's attacks. scizor can come in and u turn if trick room is not up.
Starmie also has a field day with this team with its stabed hydro pump.

decent but it has weaknesses 4/10

Your trick room team is most likely not going to work well in OU;

Trick room in OU should depend on trick room users that can go out with a bang ie Trickroom and Explosion. Your sweepers lacks sweeping power and can be walled somewhat easily. You either need very powerful physical or special sweepers with no setup required (ie Marowak, Clamperl, Rampardo) or powerful mixed sweepers (Explosion Magnezone, Water Spout Octillery)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)