1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Slow and Steady wins the race (your average 5th Gen TR team)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by MCG93, Feb 24, 2011.

1. MCG93

MCG93

Dear Readers,
    This, being my first RMT and the first thread I have ever posted on any site, is to display my team which I feel needs fixes to deal with the cruel competitive world of 5th Gen Pokemon battle. To start of, I would like to note that this is a Trick Room team that does not rely that heavily on sweepers.

This is how my team building process went:

Firstly, I have always admired Marowak's awesome hitting prowess and I felt it had to be the first thing I need to put on this team
    [​IMG]
    It has a great movepool, being a veteran from RBY and having gotten to live through all the tutors since the 3rd Gen. It hits hard and has the potential to OHKO half of the metagame's sweepers with SE moves. It is simply awesome as it needs no boosting with thick club virtually giving him a free Swords Dance. This thing is a BEAST, it is in all practicality a Pokemon version of a resurrected Espada (If you are a Bleach fan, you'll know what I mean).

Then, I felt the second one should be a reliable Trick Roomer. Straight away, my mind went to one of my favorite pokemon that could TR and hit hard: Gallade
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    It sets up TR, hits hard with Close Combat, gets Ice Punch (one thing I truly feel Marowak should have gotten, because it friggin learns Ice Beam, why not Ice Punch??). It gets Shadow Sneak if I need the priority when TR runs out, it gets Stone Edge, if I need a move that hits harder because Neutral Close Combat hits a pokemon harder than SE Ice Punch. Still, I felt the need of Ice Punch for those annoying dragons. Lastly, it gets something I had overlooked since 4th Gen: DESTINY BOND.

I heard Porygon 2 is great in this Gen. It gets TR, Recover and a reliable Bolt-Beam set up. So I thought, why not try it out? To my surprise, great was an understatement.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    One word to represent its awesomeness: Trace. Trace catches almost everything off guard, gets it decent SpA boosts, recovery, Multi-Scale, Poison Heal, and all those weather abilities that grant it immunity to Sandstorm and Hail. Pory2 wouldn't be the same without trace, in other words, it would suck.

Then, I thought I needed another sweeper. Ranger Heatran is Quiet (the nature), and it gets Eruption, right?
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    Terrifying SAtk, decent Bulk, "goodish" movepool, and Eruption is just the cherry on top. Gallade also gets wish off of XD, so I thought why not keep this guy fresh and going with wish support, until I realized that it is a strategy that does nothing but fail. Anyways, Heatran, in its purest and most devastating form with the stereotypical attacks, there you have it.

God, since my team relies so much on TR, I need more Pokemon that can set it up!! What's next?? Umm, the new gelatin thing, uh, what's it called, umm, right: Reuniclus!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Magic Guard and Life Orb, one popular combo. This thing is slow as hell, can heal, and set up TR without much fear. Not to mention its crazy SAtk, it can punch holes in many things just the way I like it.

Okay, so now I felt I needed a ghost typer to round this team off, just because I felt my team would be incomplete without a ghost type (NOTE: this was a feeling I discarded after editing and reediting my team). Now, I just loved trying new things, and my eye had been lingering over Imhotep: Cofagrigus.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This thing is hilarious. It kills everything that relies heavily on ability, namely: Scizor, Gliscor, Azumarill, Machamp, and many others, if you get the point. It sets up TR, doesn't need offensive power as it gets Night Shade. It's a great user of W-o-W and gets DESTINY BOND. That should speak for itself.

Now, going straight for the contrast, this is how my team looks at the moment:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] (o.O Breloom's sprite isn't working)

So, what brought about these changes?

Firstly, Victini:
    V-Generate is a truck to the face. Who needs Heatran when there is a guy that hits as hard with a physical attack AND can set up TR. I could get rid of two Pokemon at the same time that way and make room for something else. It sets up TR, scouts with U-turn and has V-Generate to Punch holes into almost everything.

Secondly, Espeon:
    An ability I consider more amazing than Trace is on this Pokemon (Xatu fails (don't hate me for saying this)). It is my only real hope outside of TR, as it is fast enough to tackle the standard Band/Swords Dance Chomp, and can kill many other threats. Switch this into Skarmory, Forretress, Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, Breloom, you name it. You'd be surprised to see how powerful it is the way I set it up, but in order to know that you will have to continue reading this all the way to the bottom.

The lastly, Breloom:
    The most reliable sleep move in the game, only becomes better under TR as Breloom can decapitate a lot of things and set up on their faces. Swords dance, Bullet seed until TR lasts and then, if you manage to get over +4, Mach Punch is the best late-game sweep. Honestly, I have swept teams clean 6:0 with this thing because the opponent was foolish enough to let me SD on their faces

Now here's what my team really looks like now:

MOVESETS
    (NOTE: All my Pokemon, except for Espeon, have their Speed IV set to 0)
    Envy (Porygon 2)
    [​IMG]
    -Trick Room
    -Recover
    -Charge Beam
    -Ice Beam
    Item attached: Evolution Stone
    Ability: Trace
    EVs and Nature:
    252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SAtk
    Quiet Nature

Sets up TR, then switches to appropriate counter OR heals if damaged and in the appropriate situation OR uses Charge Beam if in a situation that allows setting up OR uses Ice Beam to pick off the weak, as easy as pie. Trace, as I mentioned before, is one of the best and most unexpected abilities in all of Pokemon. It is one of the elements that makes battles FUN. Well, the set speaks for itself, and there you have it, my P2 set. I am just a little uncomfortable about the EV spread and nature, so feel free to comment and suggest.

Greed (Victini)
    [​IMG]
    -V-Generate
    -Trick Room
    -Wild Charge
    -U-turn
    Item attached: Leftovers
    Ability: Victory Star
    EVs and Nature:
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
    Brave Nature

I love things that multi-task. I do not like Pokemon put on the team solely for the purpose of setting up TR, or for the purpose of killing predictably, that seems pretty useless to me, so that is the reason I have Victini here rather than Heatran. Victini sets up TR easily on the switch, as it forces a lot of switches with its terrifying options. V-Generate punches holes into EVERYTHING, and by that I mean EVERYTHING (Bar flash fire people). It does a minimum of 20% to the bulkiest of things or to the 4x fire resistors, but other than that, people will fear to switch in to Victini. PLUS, V-generate decreases Victini's speed, which will make it even faster under TR. It is a simply marvelous strategy that, I believe, I am the first to utilize in competitive battle. Wild Charge hits Bulky waters for more damage but rarely even 2HKOs the likes of Vaporeon and Jellicent, so meh... U-turn is awesome for getting out with all those Def and SDef drops from V-Generate, and it just hits T-Tar for decent damage while taking Vicutini to safety. The only doubt here is on Wild Charge, but everything else, IMO, is perfect.

Wrath (Marowak)
    [​IMG]
    -Earthquake
    -Stone-Edge
    -Double-Edge
    -Fire Punch
    Item attached: Thick Club
    Ability: Rock Head
    EVs and Nature:
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
    Brave Nature

This guy is simply outrageous. Since he lost his mother at a very early age, he loves making other Pokemon scream for their mommies. Everything on this set is sheer power and it blows almost everything in the Entire Metagame extremely hardly. Double-Edge is a great move for hurting anything that resists EQ. Stone-Edge is there for the fliers. Fire Punch is there for: Genosects that try to outsmart you with their beams of ice, Scizors that think they will survive an EQ to SD a turn then Bullet Punch the next, Ferrothorns that think they will force a switch to Leech Seed you, Skarmory that want to spike you and Forretress will share a similar fate. Anyways, Marowak is simply a King under TR, and it can guarantee at least one KO under TR, not factoring in unpredictable switches.

Lust (Espeon)
    [​IMG]
    -Psycho Shock
    -Grass Knot
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power [Fire]
    Item attached: Choice Specs
    Ability: Magic Mirror
    EVs and Nature:
    6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature

She is the only hope I have outside of TR. She is fast enough to Revenge kill most threats that have not boosted their speed, and she hits hard enough to OHKO most frail sweepers. Her amazing Ability allows me to switch into Entry hazards, Status without any fear and this was the reason I was willing to let go of Exeggutor. With Specs, Espeon OHKOs all Defensive Hippowdon with Grass Knot, OHKOs all Nattorei with HP [Fire] and hits Chansey and Bilssey hard enough with Psycho Shock. Shadow ball is there as a filler (hits Lati@s and your average Psychic/Ghost typers for decent damage), but maybe I should replace it with Baton Pass to scout the opponent. Well, Magic Mirror is enough reason for her to be on here, and her fine attacking capabilities are essential for the proper functioning of my team outside of TR. Very reliable.

Sloth (Reuniclus)
    [​IMG]
    -Trick Room
    -Psycho Shock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    Item attached: Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs and Nature:
    252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 Def
    Quiet Nature

Awww, how cute, I could just eat it up, except I do not like lime flavor much. But no, this cute little teddy bear will EAT YOU! It is nothing to joke about, under TR, it can wreck some decent havoc. It does the job of setting up TR for me and it can hit hard enough. It takes no damage from Entry Hazards, doesn't care about status and LO doesn't hurt it at all, no wonder Game Freak gave it such a big smile. Ghost/Fighting/Psychic give it the perfect Ninjutsu/Taijutsu/Genjutsu coverage as it hits everything for neutral damage. It has no real counter as under TR it doesn't fear Pursuit or U-turn, and it can rip apart most of its potential counters. Very good Pokemon, I FACEPALM myself for getting rid of it during editing.

Pride (Breloom)
    [​IMG]
    -Spore
    -Swords Dance
    -Mach Punch
    -Bullet Seed
    Item Attached: Leftovers
    Ability: Technician
    EVs and Nature:
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
    Brave Nature

Our beloved Fungus is in its prime this generation as Technician is a god-bless to any Pokemon with the stats and move to make use of it (In contrast to Roserade, I have found no real use for technician with Roserade, its only real use is to hype up Magical Leaf for a Grass-type aura sphere, and to power up weakened Hidden Powers). Under TR, Spore is terrifying, and a +2 Bullet Seed/Mach Punch to the face is something only fliers (those not neutrally hit by mach punch) would like to take. Likewise, I only use him after all the possible counters have been dealt with. Spore is excellent for late-game sweeping but I always get tempted to use it early on, which usually leads to the downfall of my team. Everything else is pretty self-explanatory. The HP EVs allow it to survive certain neutral moves aimed at it by powerful sweepers and retaliate with Spore or the SE attack of choice. It is a great choice for any team, and does its job exceptionally well here.

Now, a personal section for:

THE REJECTED

Gallade
    [​IMG]

Okay, D-Bond was a great attraction that just faded when I realized Marowak does the sweeper's job much better than Gallade and it was quite redundant to put it there just for the sake of TR and Destiny Bond. I had gotten rid of Reuniclus during editing but I figured I needed it back. That is when I decided to get rid of Gallade. Do comment if you think that wasn't a good choice.

Heatran
    [​IMG]

He got out the reason Victini got in. He seemed a bit too battle-oriented and was a bit too predictable. Even though he does resist a lot of things, Eruption started to see a sharp decrease in BP, so I decided I needed something better. It's not like Heatran will be nailing things too much on the switch, it is more of revenge killer, and I felt that there are too many counters to it. Victini simply looked better on the team than him and did a better job. Sorry Heatran. :(

Cofagrigus
    [​IMG]

This guy was A LOT of fun during its stay in my team. In fact, I was considering bringing it back but I didn't know what to get rid of and what I would miss the most. Is it really worth it? Well, it does nothing more than spread burns, set up Trick Room and catch people off guard with Destiny Bond, but does W-o-W work well in conjunction with Destiny Bond, as I want more people to be able to KO me rather than be weakened. :/ This thing looks good, and is fun, but well... Meh, I don't know...

Slowbro Slowking
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (I felt these two didn't need separate sections of their own, both seemed the same to me (sorry if this is discriminatory to people who use them :/))

These two, I tried them, but they seemed a bit too standard to counter any of the metagame's threats. Slack off, Regeneration, and respectable bulk with the ability to use Trick Room. A decent move in Scald, and that's pretty much it. I tried to use it but it was boring. Exciting is what's least expected, something that breaks momentum or builds it amazing at other times. I felt these two lacked that.

Exeggutor
    [​IMG]
    Now, this is one that I deeply regret getting rid of. Its great new ability Harvest gives it an infinite supply of Berries, and when you have Lum Berry, this is the perfect status absorber that scares off the likes of Breloom. Now, I used this thing to set up TR, then curse all the way up until even Genosect's U-turn wouldn't 2HKO it, and then hit with Wood Hammer for crazy damage while healing everything off with a superfast Rest under Trick Room. This thing, when used late-game, would really annoy my opponents. They called it gay, while I called it genius. It was amazing as it was one of the only Pokemon that was able to put a smirk on my face during battle. Honestly, if you feel this guy needs to come back, please let me know, I would love to see what you think about him. EV spread [252HP, 108 Def, 148 SDef] Sassy Nature @ Lum Berry, and you know the attacks.

Conkeldurr
    [​IMG]

Well, this "guy", he is great and all, after slapping a Flame Orb on it and having the guts to rampage (pun intended), it can do pretty well. It is more powerful than Marowak in such cases but is much more short-lived and is much much much more predictable. Honestly, I was bored of it after using it in two or three battles as it was unable to wreck respectable havoc. As for Mach Punch, Breloom does it all the same.

Uxie and Celebi
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Just when I was about to get tired of Psychic types, I had to try these two out. Then, I was not only tired, but sick of Psychic types as well (Just withheld my temper for dear Victini, Espeon and Reuniclus). They practically can do NOTHING other than set up TR and honestly, I do not need screens on this team, they have never really been worth a team-slot. Leaf Storm is not all that attractive when you have Techno-Bullet Seed, and well, there are a million reasons not to use these two.

Well, that's pretty much it. Please comment on my team-building (if there is anything I may have missed on the fundamentals and some things that my team-building skills lack), please comment on the Rejected Pokemon, if you feel any are better on the team than off. Also, please comment on the Movesets that I have posted on here, I would greatly appreciate any advice that would go towards the betterment of my team. Thank you for reading this tediously long post, I hope I did not take much of your time.

Yours truly
    -MCG93
  2. MCG93

MCG93

Since Chandelure is back in DW, I am considering replacing Victini with it, since it can TR and has Shadow Tag. Any comments on that?
  3. MCG93

MCG93

I see, no one has commented. Lol, leaves you kinda discouraged, but oh well. I'll take it positively, guess my team needs no improvements after all... -__-
  4. SmileZ

SmileZ

It's all a tiny bit cluttered which puts people off.. Try moving the previous members bit to the bottom and reducing it. The writing quality is fine and your explanations are quite good. But check the RMT archive, especially those written by Phillip7098 (I think) to see what a neat, concise RMT looks like. I don't have enough experience with TR teams to rate but felt bad as you have obviously put a decent amount of effort into it.
  5. MCG93

MCG93

:D Thanks

Alright, I'll get to that! :D I was unhappy that no one was responding and I am glad that you appreciate the hard work I put into it! :D :D
  6. MCG93

MCG93

Just peaked 53rd on the PO server with this team with replacements including chandelure (max HP, max SAtk with attacks being: Trick Room, Fire Blast, Shadow Ball and HP Fight) over victini and I have also changed my Espi's HP to fighting because I see TTars (stealth) rocking--pun intended--much more often than Pokes that are scared of fire attacks nowadays. I look forward to going higher with this team as I have discovered new ways to build momentum during battle and utilization of the element of surprise has helped me more as my loom ALWAYS survives an HP ice from opposing scarfed Chandelure. I stay in to all TTar as I love intercepting a pursuit and catching them tailing me and get back at them with HP fight or focus blast. ^_^

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)