1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Slowbro and Snorlax get high

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Kariya, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Kariya

Kariya

I decided to play UU on Pokemon Showdown, well just because really. I' kinda new to the competitive scene and mostly just play Random Battles. I'm what you'd call a dirty casual.

[​IMG]

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Spore
    - Stun Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Clear Smog

This man, mushroom thing, is one of my key players. I often use him as my lead, sporing one Pokemon and then stun sporing on the switch. Together with Slowbro, they're able to effectively spread status throughout the enemy team. However, I've noticed that Umbreon is a big problem with Heal Bell...

[​IMG]
    Slowbro @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Slack Off
    - Thunder Wave
    - Scald
    - Psyshock

Another defensive Pokemon. Quite capable of spreading a lot of paralysis or burns with Thunder Wave and Scald respectively. I've had a few games where this mon has single handedly netted me wins. He does decent damage and has immense recovery.

[​IMG]
    Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 200 SDef / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Pursuit
    - Crunch

I started off trying Curselax, but I found that this offensive variant fared much better, while still retaining most of the good point Curselax had. The best part is that he hits harder more immediately and the Paralysis chance on Body Slam is just icing on the cake. He does huge damage, but can't really take physical hits, which is where Amoonguss and Slowbro come in.

[​IMG]
    Flygon @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Fire Punch

My revenge killer. Not many weakened Pokemon can survive a STAB Outrage or Earthquake. He does good damage, while out speeding a lot of threats. He can also U-Turn out of stuff he doesn't want to stay in on and bring in a defensive Pokemon to counter.

[​IMG]
    Chandelure @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Energy Ball
    - Shadow Ball
    - Trick

Does tons of damage. Can trick the scarf onto something that would be crippled by it, although I usually just mash Fire Blast as hard as possible. He does a lot of damage and covers the special spectrum of Pokemon well.

[​IMG]
    Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
    Careful Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Gyro Ball
    - Toxic

My stealth rock setter and another specially defensive wall for my opponent to break through. He can spread poison if need be, although I usually just have him use Earthquake or Gyro Ball for a bit of extra damage. His multiple resists come in handy often too.

This team's purpose is to wear their team down with status before sending in Snorlax, Chandelure or Flygon for a sweep with their high powered attacks. Slowbro and Amoonguss provide a decent Regenerator Core, making it difficult to wear them down while they spread status. Bronzong sets up rocks and does decent damage to some Pokemon, while walling others with his resistances.

This is my first competitive team, as well as my first post. Are there any things I need to do to improve it or whatever? I'm kinda new to all this, so yup. Fire away :)
  2. PTJon7

PTJon7

I really don't think CurseLax is very good, and I've never found that relying on Rest to chose the move you need as a very effective strategy. Snorlax is your only true way to deal with Chandelure on your team, as a Specs Shadow Ball would decimate everything else. I think changing Snorlax to be a regular offensive kind would be much more beneficial for you:
    This set is a great way to kill off Chandelure as well as maintain consistent offensive pressure.

I think it may be beneficial for you to switch the roles of Flygon and Chandelure by giving Chandelur Specs and Flygon the Scarf. Flygon is a much better revenge killer with a Scarf thanks to its superior speed. Chandelure becomes one of if not the move powerful thing in the tier with Choice Specs. Both of their sets would stay the exact same, just change their items.

All in all, this is a good team. Nice job with the Amoongus/Slowbro Core, they complement each other excellently with their typing and ability.
  3. Kariya

Kariya

Thanks. I tried Offensive Lax and it worked like a charm. I'll switch the items for Chandelure and Flygon and see how they go.
  4. dcae

dcae naughty list

Hey there! This is a pretty cool team using the nice Regen core. You seem to be running a more balanced defensive team, so one poke you have trouble with is definitely Umbreon, which lasts a long time and deals with all your major attackers. Heal Bell also deals with the status you spread. Now Flygon as a Scarfer set is pretty weak. However I recommend trying out Scarf Mienshao. This beast packs a huge punch and is extremely fast. Equipped with a Scarf and it outspeeds the entire boosted meta. It can break through Umbreon as well, a major problem to your team, while maintaining momentum with U-turn. I'm on my phone so I can't post fancy pictures, but the set is simple. EVs should be maxed Atk and Spe with Naive and moveset should be HJK/HP ice/U-turn/Drain Punch. Ability choice is up to you, because each have their merits. Reckless allows it to hit especially hard. Drain Punch has the utility to bypass Protect of Umbreon and not risk getting Ghosts switching in to absorb HJK. It also provides recovery if you choose not to run Regenerator. Hope I helped and good luck.
  5. Kariya

Kariya

I'm looking at adding Scarf Mienshao and replacing Scarf Flygon like the poster above suggested.

[​IMG]
    Mienshao@Choice Scarf
    Trait:Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
    Naive Nature
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Hi-Jump Kick
    -U-Turn
    -Stone Edge

Would this set beat Gligar as well as Umbreon? These two have both given my team problems...
  6. silenced

silenced

One other option you could try if you really hate gligar and umbreon is mixed attacker + SR cobalion. It combines reasonably well with flygon with the combination of volt-switch and u-turn, while being a big pain for defensive cores to deal with. The set from memory (since PS is down at this time)

Cobalion @ Expert Belt
    Justified
    Naive nature
    232 Spd, 76 atk, 200 SAtk
    -Stealth Rock
    -Volt Switch
    -Hidden power Ice
    -Close combat

Replacing bronzong for this may help. The disadvantage, the main one would be you would then be forced to deal with strong earthquakes by risking swapping in flygon, or put more pressure on your regen core to take said earthquakes. The advantages are dealing with gligar + umbreon much more easily (you will need to predict switches between the two pokemon to effectively take them out). You may also want to tweak the EV's between the two attack stats, as I find close combat doesn't always deal as much damage as I would like.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)