Slowbro | #080

[BW2 Smogon | Serebii | Bulbapedia]
--------------------------------
QC Approvals: [ginganinja] | [dragonuser] | [Fuzznip]
GP Checks: [amcheck by Icecream] | [sirndpt] | [Wyvern56 & Redew]
--------------------------------
Overview
########
Slowbro is an example of a Pokemon that has almost all of the tools it needs to pull off exactly what it needs to. Packed with great HP and Defense stats in combination with reliable recovery and the ever so useful Regenerator, Slowbro makes for a fantastic physical wall and support Pokemon. Slowbro's Water / Psychic typing provides it useful resistances to Fighting-, Fire-, and Water-type attacks, allowing it to check a large variety of physical attackers in the tier. Sadly for Slowbro, its typing also gives it weaknesses to some common attacking types, such as Bug, Electric, and Ghost. Because of this, it is weak to both U-turn and Volt Switch, meaning momentum can easily be lost. Moreover, an exploitable vulnerability to status, an abysmal Speed stat, and middling Special Defense leave quite a bit to be desired when it comes down to choosing Slowbro as a physical wall.

Physical Wall
########
name: Physical Wall
move 1: Scald
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Slack Off
move 4: Thunder Wave / Psychic
ability: Regenerator
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========
Scald is Slowbro's primary STAB move, potentially crippling the opponent with its 30% burn chance. This helps Slowbro do chip damage to opponents, and more importantly, gives it extra breathing room against physically offensive threats. Ice Beam has great coverage alongside Scald, hitting Dragon-types such as Dragonite, Garchomp, and Salamence for huge damage. Slack Off is a bread-and-butter move for a wall that should be used to keep Slowbro healthy throughout the game. The final slot can go to either a status move or Psychic. Psychic takes care of Keldeo and Conkeldurr, while also hitting Mega Venusaur hard and breaking Kyurem-B's Substitutes. In terms of status moves, Thunder Wave serves as a way to hinder speedy threats, whereas Toxic allows Slowbro to cripple opposing walls and can potentially be used over it. The latter option is best suited for teams that have enough bulk to stall out the Pokemon that Slowbro poisons. Fire Blast is an alternative in the last slot that aids Slowbro in dealing better against Scizor, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn.

Set Details
========
As Slowbro is a defensive Pokemon, Leftovers is an ideal item that allows it to heal its HP over time. However, as Slowbro has other existing methods of recovery, Rocky Helmet is also a viable item. A Rocky Helmet allows Slowbro to deal chip damage to wear down physical attackers that make contact with Slowbro. Full investment is placed into Slowbro's HP and Defense EVs in tandem with a Bold nature to maximize its physical bulk in order to fulfill its role as a wall. In terms of abilities, Regenerator is Slowbro's best bet and is a great ability for a wall, providing it with a form passive healing just by switching out. While Oblivious may look appealing to provide Slowbro with an immunity to the effects of Taunt, the passive recovery provided by Regenerator is far too useful in comparison.

Usage Tips
========
Slowbro is best brought into battle as a check to physical attackers or when convenient in order to spread status. This means switching Slowbro in on Pokemon such as Terrakion or Azumarill is typically a good idea. When Slowbro has nothing else to do, spreading status in the form of Thunder Wave or Toxic is a good way of applying pressure on the opponent. Slack Off should be used generously to ensure that Slowbro stays healthy throughout a game, but it is possible that an opponent will set up on Slowbro, so using a status or offensive move is a better option to counteract that. One can also use Regenerator healing by constantly double switching Slowbro or bringing it on in free switches to then immediately jump back out.

Team Options
========
Despite having a decent Special Defense stat, Slowbro appreciates partners that can sponge powerful special attacks for it. Amoonguss is an excellent partner for Slowbro by forming a potent Regenerator core and being able to take Electric-type moves with ease. As an option to work alongside Amoonguss, Heatran can complete a Fire / Water / Grass core and provide a useful resistance to Bug-type moves. Goodra and Mega Venusaur, both of which possess a spectacular Special Defense stat, can also switch into Slowbro's Grass- and Electric-type weaknesses and handle one of Slowbro's premier checks: Thundurus. Pokemon which can provide Aromatherapy or Heal Bell support are also ideal because they patch up Slowbro's weakness to status. As a result, Sylveon, Chansey, and Blissey are all superb partners to Slowbro that have acceptable defensive synergy.

Offensive Trick Room
########
name: Offensive Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Surf
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Fire Blast / Psyshock
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Quiet

Moves
========
With great bulk, a decent offensive presence, and an awful Speed stat, Slowbro is a prime candidate for a Trick Room user. Trick Room is used to flip the Speed tiers on their head and allow Slowbro and its teammates to move first. This means that it can be used as a standalone set, but works best with Pokemon that appreciate the provided support. Surf is Slowbro's strongest Water-type move and its basic offensive move. Together with Surf, Ice Beam and Fire Blast round off the coverage, leaving Slowbro only unable to break through bulky Water-types. The former is used to hit Grass- and Dragon-type super effectively, while the latter provides a way for Slowbro to roast Scizor and Ferrothorn. However, if hitting these Pokemon with Fire Blast for super effective damage is unnecessary, Psyshock can be placed in the final slot to operate as a secondary STAB move. Psyshock also comes with the benefit of hitting specially defensive walls on their lower defensive stat, as well as hitting Mega Venusaur which can otherwise fully counter it.

Set Details
========
Through the use of a Life Orb, Slowbro's low starting power is enhanced, and it doesn't need to worry about the recoil due to Regenerator healing excess damage that it might have incurred. All EVs are invested into Slowbro's power and bulk, ensuring it can take as many hits as possible while simultaneously dealing as much damage as possible. Finally, because Slowbro is using Trick Room, a Quiet nature and 0 Speed IVs are used to minimize its Speed under such conditions, allowing Slowbro to move before almost all OU threats when it is under Trick Room.

Usage Tips
========
Offensive Trick Room Slowbro is a Pokemon which can be used at virtually any point of a match, but excels late-game when it can clean up teams that its own team has already broken down. However, thanks to a spectacular ability in Regenerator, Slowbro can act as a pivot by constantly jumping in and out of the fray to set up Trick Room. This means it is best to use Slowbro more conservatively than other Pokemon, only attacking when necessary and after Trick Room has been activated. Furthermore, Slowbro can take advantage of Regenerator's passive healing through double switching so that it can be preserved for later. In the event that opponents attempt to prevent Slowbro from activating Trick Room through the use of Taunt, it is best to attack immediately and exploit Slowbro's surprising power.

Team Options
========
Slow, hard hitters which appreciate Trick Room support always enjoy being paired with Slowbro. In particular, Conkeldurr can take full advantage of Trick Room and gets past a number of specially defensive Pokemon through the use of Thunder Punch or Knock Off. Magnezone is also a decent partner if Slowbro opts not to run Fire Blast, as it can trap and KO Ferrothorn and Scizor. Porygon2, a Pokemon that is often seen on Trick Room teams, can also partner nicely with Slowbro due to their complementary resistances and immunities. Pursuit users such as Tyranitar are good alternative partners for Slowbro by virtue of their ability to wear down Chansey, Blissey, and Aegislash.

Other Options
########
Aside from the above sets, Slowbro could potentially utilize a Choice Specs set to make use of its unique movepool and bulk. However, with a base Special Attack stat of 100 and an awful Speed stat, Slowbro can only do so much. Alternatively, Slowbro can attempt to run a Calm Mind set, but it needs several boosts to have a chance to sweep, and in that time, the opponent can take the time to cripple Slowbro as it sets up. Such a set is also eclipsed by other bulky boosting sweepers, especially Clefable due to its arguably better defensive abilities. Slowbro can also opt to use an Assault Vest to balance out its defensive stats, but Slowking can perform this role better due to its access to Dragon Tail.

Checks & Counters
########
**Powerful Special Attackers**: Because Slowbro primarily focuses on its physical bulk, it is quite vulnerable to common special attacks such as Thunderbolt. Powerful special attackers, such as Thundurus, Rotom-W, Greninja, and Charizard-Y, are all capable of taking at least one of Slowbro's attacks and retaliating with their respective super effective moves. Other options for this role include Gengar and Latios, which can both dent Slowbro with their primary STAB moves.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Chansey, Blissey, and Gastrodon are the best defensive counters to Slowbro. The first three all have a way of getting around Toxic and all of them brush off anything else that Slowbro might try to use against them. Mega Venusaur can take all of offensive Slowbro's moves due to its Thick Fat ability, and can retaliate with its Grass-type STAB. As a result, these Pokemon almost always beat Slowbro one-on-one.

**Toxic**: Even though Slowbro can heal itself with Slack Off or Regenerator, Toxic or two layers of Toxic Spikes can be used to wear it down over time. Slowbro has no way of curing status without relying on teammates or the otherwise useless Rest. Examples of Pokemon that can do this include Chansey and Blissey, but any Pokemon commonly seen with Toxic can suit this role.

**Taunt and Trick**: Trick is an excellent way of shutting down most defensive Pokemon, and, as a result, it is a great check to defensive variants of Slowbro. Some potential users of Trick include Gothitelle and Latios. Alternatively, Taunt users such as Thundurus and Sableye can also be used to prevent Slowbro from healing with Slack Off, spreading status, or setting up Trick Room.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend runs an extremely powerful offensive TR Slowbro. It needs to be a main set. It defeated like half my team before Mega Ampharos arrived to save the day.

My friend runs an extremely powerful offensive TR Slowbro. It needs to be a main set. It defeated like half my team before Mega Ampharos arrived to save the day.
No offense, but you kind of need to include the set / EVs and such, also, it might have gone through your team, but how does it fare in the OU Metagame?

No offense, but you kind of need to include the set / EVs and such, also, it might have gone through your team, but how does it fare in the OU Metagame?
My team was OU standard.
I think Slowbro had Surf, Psychic, TR and Rest with a Chesto Berry.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I liked TR Slowbro last gen (made a really cool team with it late BW2) but with the lack of rain I can see it just not being powerful enough to last in the meta. If it were use, I would suggest Surf | Ice Beam | Fire Blast / Psyshock | Trick Room. It can do work to offensive teams, but with priority everywhere and bulky behemoths like AV Conkeldurr, I'm not so sure. Still, it can find good setup opportunities since it forces a lot of switches. I'd leave it up to QC, but it definitely has its merits. At the very least it should be in OO.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've implemented an Offensive Trick Room set and written up everything in dot points. This is now ready for QC checks.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Expand on why Goodra is a good partner (it checks Thundurus and other Electric-types), and possibly suggest 1-2 more mons that do a similar job (first set teammates)

Also expand on whatever niche TR slowbro has over TR Slowking (physical bulk)

Otherwise, this looks good

QC APPROVED 2/3

tehy

Banned deucer.
Looking at your checks and counters, you've got the special attacker section, and then "switches in and kills' pokemon and 'kills' pokemon. But why are Thundurus-T and Genesect listed as 'switches in' while latios is listed as 'kills'? Thundurus-T and Genesect are both neutral to Scald, so they're not great switch-ins by that standard;in addition, Thundurus-T is weak to Ice Beam, while Genesect is destroyed by fire-type attacks, and hates burn, which cuts the power of its u-turn, as well as its possible Iron Head. And it's also crippled by paralysis;while this is true of greninja as well, at least it has much less trouble coming in on Scald. Meanwhile, Latios is weak to Ice Beam like Thundurus-T and hates paralysis, but it's much specially bulkier, and its STAB draco meteor can still KO or blast holes in Slowbro.

I'd also like to see mentions of Starmie, as it resists every listed attack and can heal off status with Natural Cure, while smashing Slowbro with Thunderbolt. Does it not exist in pre-bank OU or something? And sylveon too, heal belling status, wish protecting and moonblasting away. (Unless pixilate is released for the purpose of these, but fairly sure it's not).

lab report ᐛ
tehy:
  1. These analyses are for post-bank.
  2. This is still in the skeleton phase so the kills/switches in thing was just for the sake of me putting it into skeleton form. It will all be fixed when I write this up.
  3. I'll mention Starmie and Sylveon. Excellent suggestions. :toast:

Is the defensive Trick Room Support still viable ? (TR/Scald/Filler/Slack Off.) It was quite good in 5G but I dunno if it works well this Gen.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Personally I've always been a fan of Specs Slowbro (and Slowking for that matter). It's bulky and surprisingly strong, boasting an excellent movepool and instant recovery upon switching out. I will be sure to do some more extensive testing (I've only used it a few battles), but I think it's as good as if not better than OTR. The set is:

name: Choice Specs
move 1: Surf
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Ice Beam / Slack Off
move 4: Fire Blast / Trick
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

lab report ᐛ
I'm not adding a defensive Trick Room set because it's simply inefficient. Trick Room relies having immediate power on pretty much every Pokemon so that you're not wasting turns and this is something which a defensive Slowbro set can't even manage. The idea behind using an OTR set on Slowbro is so that you can use its bulk to repeatedly set up Trick Room (along with Regenerator) and then attack off the bat rather than having to waste turns going into an appropriate Pokemon.

I'll give the Choice Specs set more testing time before I write this up.

edit: We established in IRC that Choice Specs Slowbro will be staying in OO with a heavy mention. I shall now write this up.

Last edited:
Overview

Mention that its typing also makes it weak to some common attacking types, such as Bug, Electric, and Ghost. It's also U-turn and Volt Switch weak, which instantly loses you momentum.

Moves for set 1

Put Slack Off in move 3.

Moves for set 2

Mention Psyshock hits Mega Venusaur hard, an otherwise full counter.

Checks & Counters

You can mention Taunt and Trick probably as methods to cripple Slowbro. Perhaps you can make a mention of U-turn and Volt Switch as well. Magic Guard Pokemon such as Reuniclus and Clefable can CM against it. Mega Venusaur is also one of the best Slowbro switch-ins. Can't think of much else atm.

This is nicely written though, good job.

QC APPROVED 3/3

lab report ᐛ
Implemented everything in Fuzznip's check and edited some of the sections. This is now ready for GP to go over.

lab report ᐛ
Icecream: Thanks for the great amcheck. I've implemented everything that you went through and this is ready to continue being GP'd.

moves
  • This helps Slowbro do chip damage to opponents, and more importantly, gives it extra breathing room against physically offensive threats.
  • Slack Off is a bread-and-butter move for a wall
  • The latter option is best suited for teams that have enough defense i feel like "bulk" would be a better word to stall out the Pokemon which Slowbro poisons.

set details
  • However, due to Slowbro's as Slowbro has other existing methods of recovery, Rocky Helmet is also a viable item.

set options
  • Regenerator is Slowbro's best bet and is a great ability for a wall

team options
  • As an option to work alongside Amoonguss, Heatran can complete a Fire / Water / Grass core and provide a useful resistance to Bug-type moves.

OTR - moves
  • The former is used to hit Grass- and Dragon-type power super effectively (?)

set details
  • allowing Slowbro to move before almost all OU threats when it is under Trick Room.

team options
  • Porygon2, a Pokemon that is often seen on Trick Room teams, can also partner nicely with Slowbro due to their complementary resistances and immunities

other options
  • However, with a base Special Attack stat of 100 and an awful Speed stat, Slowbro can only do so much.
  • Such a set is also eclipsed by other bulky boosting sweepers, such as Reuniclus and Jirachi,(comma) because of its weakness to Toxic.

checks and counters
  • The first three all have a way of getting around the Toxic and all of them brush off anything else that Slowbro might try to use against them.
  • i would also change "Status Ailment" to Toxic Poison or just Toxic, and Miscellaneous with "Taunt and Trick"

Icecream Labyrinthine well done, both of you :)

gp 1/2

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Placeholder
Add Remove Comment
Slowbro is an example of a Pokemon that has almost all of the tools it needs to pull off exactly what it needs to. Packed with great HP and Defense stats in combination with reliable recovery and the ever so useful Regenerator, Slowbro makes for a fantastic physical wall and support Pokemon. Slowbro's Water / Psychic typing provides it useful resistances to Fighting-, Fire-, and Water-type attacks, allowing it to check a large variety of physical attackers in the tier. Sadly for Slowbro, its typing also gives it weaknesses to some common attacking types, such as Bug, Electric, and Ghost. Because of this, it is weak to both U-turn and Volt Switch, meaning momentum can easily be lost. Moreover, an exploitable vulnerability to status, an abysmal Speed stat, and middling Special Defense leave quite a bit to be desired when it comes down to choosing Slowbro as a physical wall.

Physical Wall
########
name: Physical Wall
move 1: Scald
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Slack Off
move 4: Thunder Wave / Toxic / Fire Blast
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========
Scald is Slowbro's primary STAB move, potentially crippling the opponent with its 30% burn chance. This helps Slowbro do chip damage to opponents, and more importantly, gives it extra breathing room against physically offensive threats. Ice Beam has great coverage alongside Scald, hitting Dragon-types such as Dragonite, Garchomp, and Salamence for huge damage. Slack Off is a bread-and-butter move for a wall that should be used to keep Slowbro healthy throughout the game. Thunder Wave serves as a way to hinder speedy threats, whereas Toxic allows Slowbro to cripple opposing walls. The latter option is best suited for teams that have enough bulk to stall out the Pokemon which Slowbro poisons. Fire Blast is an alternative to the two status moves that aids Slowbro in dealing with Scizor, Genesect, and Ferrothorn. In terms of other moves, Psychic is a possible option to nail the physical Fighting-types that Slowbro walls.

Set Details
========
As Slowbro is a defensive Pokemon, Leftovers is an ideal item that allows it to heal its HP over time. However, as Slowbro has other existing methods of recovery, Rocky Helmet is also a viable item. [A Rocky Helmet allows Slowbro to deal chip away at pokemon that make physical damage damage to wear down physical attackers that make contact with Slowbro.] Something is off here.... Full investment is placed into Slowbro's HP and Defense EVs in tandem with a Bold nature to maximize its physical bulk in order to fulfill its role as a wall. In terms of abilities, Regenerator is Slowbro's best bet and is a great ability for a wall, providing it with a form passive healing just by switching out. While Oblivious may look appealing to provide Slowbro with an immunity to the effects of Taunt, the passive recovery provided by Regenerator is far too useful in comparison.

Usage Tips
========
Slowbro is best brought into battle as a check to physical attackers or when it is convenient in order to spread status. This means switching Slowbro in on Pokemon such as Terrakion or Azumarill is typically a good idea. When Slowbro has nothing else to do, spreading status in the form of Thunder Wave or Toxic is a good way of applying pressure on the opponent. Slack Off should be used generously to ensure that Slowbro stays healthy throughout a the game, but it is possible that an opponent will set up on Slowbro, so using a status or offensive move is a better option to counteract that. One can also use Regenerator healing by constantly double switching Slowbro or bringing it on in free switches to then immediately jump back out.

Team Options
========
Despite having a decent Special Defense stat, Slowbro appreciates partners that can sponge powerful special attacks for it. Amoonguss is an excellent partner for Slowbro by forming a potent Regenerator core and being able to take Electric-type moves with ease. As an option to work alongside Amoonguss, Heatran can complete a Fire / Water / Grass core and provide a useful resistance to Bug-type moves. Goodra, which possesses a spectacular Special Defense stat, can also switch into Slowbro's Grass- and Electric-type weaknesses and handle one of Slowbro's premier checks: Thundurus-T. Pokemon which can provide Aromatherapy or Heal Bell support are also ideal because they patch up Slowbro's weakness to status. As a result, Sylveon, Chansey, and Blissey are all superb partners to defensive Slowbro that have acceptable defensive synergy.

Offensive Trick Room
########
name: Offensive Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Surf
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Fire Blast / Psyshock
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Quiet

Moves
========
With great bulk, a decent offensive presence, and an awful Speed stat, Slowbro is a prime candidate for a Trick Room user. Trick Room is used to flip the Speed tiers on their head and allow Slowbro and its teammates to move first. This means that it can be used as a standalone set, but works best with Pokemon that appreciate the provided support. Surf is Slowbro's strongest Water-type move and its basic offensive move. Together with Surf, Ice Beam and Fire Blast round off the coverage, leaving Slowbro only unable to break through bulky Water-types. The former is used to hit Grass- and Dragon-type super effectively, while the latter provides a way for Slowbro to roast Genesect, Scizor, and Ferrothorn. However, if hitting these Pokemon with Fire Blast for super effective damage is unnecessary, Psyshock can be placed in the final slot to operate as a secondary STAB move. Psyshock also comes with the benefit of hitting specially defensive walls on their lower defensive Defense stat, as well as hitting Mega Venusaur which can otherwise fully counter it.

Set Details
========
Through With the use of a Life Orb, Slowbro's low starting power is enhanced, and it doesn't need to worry about the recoil due to Regenerator healing excess damage that it might have incurred. All EVs are invested into Slowbro's power and bulk, ensuring it can take as many hits as possible while simultaneously dealing as much damage as possible. Finally, because Slowbro is using Trick Room, a Quiet nature and 0 Speed IVs are used to minimize its Speed under such conditions, allowing Slowbro to move before almost all OU threats when it is under Trick Room.

Usage Tips
========
Offensive Trick Room Slowbro is a Pokemon which can be used at virtually any point of a match, but excels late-game when it can clean up fractured teams that its own team has already broken down. However, thanks to a spectacular ability in Regenerator, Slowbro can act as a pivot by constantly jumping in and out of the fray to set up Trick Room. This means it is best to use Slowbro more conservatively than other Pokemon, only attacking when necessary and after Trick Room has been activated. Furthermore, Slowbro can take advantage of Regenerator's passive healing through double switching so that it can be preserved for later. In the event that opponents attempt to prevent Slowbro from activating Trick Room through the use of Taunt, it is best to attack immediately and exploit Slowbro's surprising power.

Team Options
========
Slow, hard hitters which appreciate Trick Room support always enjoy being paired with Slowbro. In particular, Conkeldurr can take full advantage of Trick Room and gets past Jellicent through the use of Thunder Punch or Knock Off. Magnezone is also a decent partner if Slowbro opts not to run Fire Blast, as it can trap and KO Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Jirachi. Porygon2, a Pokemon that is often seen on Trick Room teams, can also partner nicely with Slowbro due to their complementary resistances and himmunities. Pursuit users such as Tyranitar are good alternative partners for Slowbro by virtue of their ability to handle the likes of Jellicent.

Other Options
########
Aside from the above sets, Slowbro could potentially utilize a Choice Specs set to make use of its unique movepool and bulk. However, with a base Special Attack stat of 100 and an awful Speed stat, Slowbro can only do so much. Alternatively, Slowbro can attempt to run a Calm Mind set, but it needs several boosts to have a chance to sweep, and in that time, the opponent can take the time to cripple Slowbro as it sets up. Such a set is also eclipsed by other bulky boosting sweepers, such as Reuniclus and Jirachi, because of their immunity its weakness to Toxic. Slowbro can also opt to use an Assault Vest to balance out its defensive stats, but Slowking can perform this role better due to its access to Dragon Tail.

Checks & Counters
########
**Powerful Special Attackers**: Because Slowbro primarily focuses on its physical bulk, it is quite vulnerable to common special attacks such as Thunderbolt. Powerful special attackers, such as Thundurus, Rotom-W, Greninja, Celebi, and Genesect, are all capable of taking at least one of Slowbro's attacks and retaliating with their respective super effective moves. Other options for this role include Gengar and Latios, which can both dent Slowbro with their primary STAB moves.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Celebi, Chansey, Blissey, and Gastrodon are the best defensive counters to Slowbro. The first three all have a way of getting around Toxic and all of them brush off anything else that Slowbro might try to use against them. Mega Venusaur can take all of offensive Slowbro's moves due to its Thick Fat ability, and can retaliate with its Grass-type STAB. As a result, these Pokemon almost always beat Slowbro one-on-one.

**Toxic**: Even though Slowbro can heal itself with Slack Off or Regenerator, Toxic or two layers of Toxic Spikes can be used to wear it down over time. Slowbro has no way of curing status without relying on teammates or the otherwise useless Rest. Examples of Pokemon that can do this include Chansey and Blissey, but any Pokemon commonly seen with Toxic can suit this role.

**Taunt and Trick**: Trick is an excellent way of shutting down most defensive Pokemon, and as a result, it is a great check to defensive variants of Slowbro. Some potential users of Trick include Jirachi and Latios. Alternatively, Taunt users such as Thundurus and Sableye can also be used to prevent Slowbro from healing with Slack Off, spreading status, or setting up Trick Room.

GP 2/2 Labyrinthine

Last edited:
Assault Vest Slowbro needs a lot more love imo. Slowking might have Dragon Tail to better support the team but Slowbro has better defences for the metagame and benefits more from the boost that Assault Vest gives it. I think a few calcs can show my point:

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 220+ Def Slowbro: 148-175 (37.6 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 220+ Def Slowbro: 196-231 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Mega Lucario Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Slowbro: 282-332 (71.7 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Slowbro: 122-146 (31 - 37.1%) -- 79.7% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Slowbro: 244-288 (62 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(EV spread shamelessly ripped from Ajwfs Dancing Dreadnaughts stall team)

With Assault Vest, Slowbro can check both physical and special Mega-Lucario, an impressive feat considering its mixed stats. Assault Vest helps Slowbro take random special attacks while still walling Talonflame and other physical threats reliably, effectively making it a mixed pivot and wall that can stay healthy despite the restrictions of Assault Vest due to Regenerator. Definitely a very useful and valid set imo, it deserves more than an OO mention.

lab report ᐛ
Wyvern56: I went through your GP check with Redew on IRC and we discussed your suggestions. I've implemented parts of what you've corrected, but other parts caused my writing to lose meaning. I'll continue making sure I've implemented everything I wanted to over the next 24 hours as a message to anyone that noticed anything else.

nmitchell890: After discussing it on IRC (#xyqc) with others i've decided against moving Assault Vest up from OO to its own set.

Good work guys. (I'll edit this post when I've gone through it once more)
Edit: Done! :toast:

Last edited:

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Labyrinthine, may I know what you did not add so I can do a better job in the future through PM/VM? It would be greatly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)