Slowmons: Macho, Macho, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Registeel is probably the best of the three since the other two are just asking for Escavalier or Ferrothorn to come in and counter them.
As for Ferro itself, I agree that a ban would be premature. Like erisia said, it gets walled by a few things and so shouldn't sweep through prepared teams.

EV

Banned deucer.
It might not be too popular, but what about Cacturne?

It's not as slow-fast, but has STAB Sucker Punch and with Water Absorb it stands a good chance at handling the Slowbrothers and Quagsire.
Sadly it can't raise its Speed with Curse or Hammer Arm so it's easily outsped and thwarted by Calm Mind/Slack Off vs Sucker Punch. That's why you slap it with Seed Bomb!

I am surprised no one has posted about Trapinch yet other than you Snaquaza. Just from pure theorymon, it seems like it can become one of, if not THE BEST, Pokemon in the tier. Let's take a look at this bad boy.

HP: 45
Atk: 100
Def: 45
SpA: 45
SpD: 45
Spe: 10

Meet Dugtrio 2.0. Choice Band Trapinch is not tearing any holes in the tier any time soon, but man oh man is it "fast". Base 10 Speed makes it the fastest offensive threat in the tier, really fast. To put it into perspective on how slow it is assuming Trapinch uses 0 Spe IV's and a Brave Nature., base 25 Pokemon with Macho Brace will be unable to outspeed the mighty Trapinch. Only Macho Brace Escalvilier and Ferrothorn will be able to do so.

Trapinch can abuse that great speed of his to become the premier revenge killer in the tier with Arena Trap. With a positive attack nature, our Trapinch will have 69 more attack than OU's neutral-nature Dugtrio. Trapinch's power is further augmented by easy access to a Choice Band (since it is so fast) to reach a smexy 492 Attack (along with a Great-STAB EQ).

So what are Trapinch's problem? In a metagame where Pokemon can effortlessly add on bulk, Trapinch's power is less than stellar. This is further compounded by the high usage of Curse users, who gain the Speed advantage if they decide to use Macho Brace and a +1 Defense boost. Trapinch can sort of counter-act this by running a Macho Brace himself (at this point not even non-Macho Brace minimmum speed SHUCKLE can outrun you) and that most Curse users are Rock-type or Steel type. Trapinch also can not adopt any meaningful bulk himself, so you can only be used on revenge kills or risky double switches.

CB Trapper:
Trapinch (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def (0 Spe IV)
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Superpower / Quick Attack

His movepool is also pitifully small, but just precise enough to counteract some of the tiers top threats. STAB EQ is Trapinch's staple move, hitting the largest variety of targets as hard as possible as well as getting those nasty Rock-type Curse users. Rock Slide for general coverage. Crunch can be used to nail some Psychic and Ghost-types, but remember it just barely edges out over EQ in base power (150 BP STAB EQ vs 160 BP 2x Super-effective Crunch). Superpower can be used to nail other Steel-types such as Ferrothorn harder. You can also try Quick Attack for priority if you feel that your Trapinch might get outsped by certain Macho Brace Cursers, but it is pretty medicore.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bumping because I'm back from the dead (exams) and I'll be able to look after the metagame more thoroughly and provide some discussion. I'll be on Joim's server if anyone wants any games!

Reuniclus is basicalyl a slightly weaker Mewtwo now, with similar bulk to the Uber (but making better use of it in the weaker OU metagame). With Magic guard, a speed stat outslowed only by Escavalier, Shuckle and Ferrothorn (among fully evolved pokemon), Calm Mind and perfect coverage... holy shit this thing tears crap to pieces.

Also, I like the look of Trapinch, it has higher attack than Dugtrio and is faster in slowmons than Dugtrio is in OU.

Wobbuffet seems much more viable now, since there's a LOT less Pokemon that outspeed it now. Or use Wynaut, with its base 23 speed, Encore and Destiny Bond, for a laugh.

Torkoal is an amazing spinner, being able to outspeed everything without the need of a Macho Brace and being a great check for Ferrothorn & Escavalier along with setting SR itself and being difficult to switch into thanks to Lava Plume, it's a really cool mon

I could see a bulky Porygon2 with Eviolite and Analytic being an absolute terror. Base 60 speed won't outslow much at all, allowing it to take advantage of that tasty 30% increase in power.

How about Trick Room in a Trick Room meta?

Jirachi @ Air Balloon/Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Air Balloon is preferred to allow more switch-in opportunities as well as temporarily patching up his notable ground weakness, however Life Orb can also be used for more power and less reliance on flinch hax. The set itself is pretty self explanatory; tank a hit, set up Trick Room, and attack. Iron Head is especially useful in this meta, considering all the slow rock-types. Fire Punch provides nice coverage against Ferrothorn, Escavalier, and other steel-types. U-turn is in the final slot to switch out of unfavorable match-ups or to bring in another fast pokemon, as well as being the best option against Slowking/Slowbro.

I know little to nothing about how this works, but my first thought when I saw this thread was: "Finally, Trick Room on Deoxys-S has a USE!". Probably a horrid set here as well, but just thought of it.

Two words... Mega Ampharos. That thing is a freaking monster with 30 base Spe, 165 base SpA and a nice 90/105/110 bulk plus Mold Breaker and an Electric/Dragon typing.

Two words... Mega Ampharos. That thing is a freaking monster with 30 base Spe, 165 base SpA and a nice 90/105/110 bulk plus Mold Breaker and an Electric/Dragon typing.
I don't think megas are very strong in this metagame since they can't carry macho brace.

Escavalier got a huge buff with AV this gen. how about a:

Escavalier@ Assault Vest
252 Atk/ 252 HP / 4 SpDef
Overcoat
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Drill Run
4 huge buffs:
1. Steel now is a better offensive typing.
2. Knock Off got buffed.
3. Escavalier gets Drill Run now.
4. Overcoat got buffed. Immunity to Spore and Hail is pretty good.

People seem to have forgotten the king of Hail...

Mega Abomoasnow
90 / 132 / 105 / 132 / 105 / 30
With 100% Blizzard, this guy will destroy so much. Shouldn't need Macho Brace to be to be slow with a -speed nature

This set seems quite insane on Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn @ Normal Gem
Trait : Iron Barbs
EVs : 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
Brave Nature
IVs : 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Explosion
- filler

Basically, it is the Deo-S on Slowmons. Lead with it and set up as much hazards as possible. When opposing spinners or defoggers come in, smack them hard with a Normal Gem Explosion. From then on, the opponent can no longer remove hazards unless you don't have something to outspeed and OHKO the opposing seriously damaged hazard remover or them have a backup one. While it lacks Taunt, a crucial move on Deoxys, its great bulk and typing more than compensates for it while a fast Explosion is the best anti-spin/defog move possible. If Ferrothorn is deemed broken, this set should be a major factor of its brokeness.

People seem to have forgotten the king of Hail...

Mega Abomoasnow
90 / 132 / 105 / 132 / 105 / 30
With 100% Blizzard, this guy will destroy so much. Shouldn't need Macho Brace to be to be slow with a -speed nature
But everything runs a -speed nature. Even Tyranitar can outslow Mega Abomosnow if it carries macho brace. Mega Abomoasnow won't be outslowing very much at all. Macho brace pretty much defines this metagame since it "boosts" speed twice as much as choice scarf without the locked moveset.

But everything runs a -speed nature. Even Tyranitar can outslow Mega Abomosnow if it carries macho brace. Mega Abomoasnow won't be outslowing very much at all. Macho brace pretty much defines this metagame since it "boosts" speed twice as much as choice scarf without the locked moveset.
Makes KNock Off even more powerful if everything is running it

And since you can't knock off Mega Stones, A-snow will be one of the natually slowest things. Could make a team with a few Knock Offers and set up for a A-snow sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)