Pokémon Slurpuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name: Slurpuff
Type: Fairy
Ability: Sweet Veil / Unburden
Base Stats: 82 / 80 / 86 / 85 / 75 / 72

Overview:
Despite having a fantastic offensive niche in the form of belly drum and unburden, Slurpuff struggled to make a real impact in the OU metagame in XY, being easily revenge-killed by powerful priority attackers and fast scarfers - even after an unburden boost, and is hard walled by very common physical walls such as Heatran, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Aegislash (prior to ban), and to a lesser extent Slowbro.

However, during the transition from XY to ORAS, Slurpuff received many new moves via move tutors, one of these move may just be Slurpuff's transition to BL or even OU - drain punch. Not only does this new move obliterate Slurpuff's would-be checks such as Ferrothorn and Heatran, but also provides semi-reliable recovery which is especially helpful because bellydrum often leaves Slurpuff at severely low health even with sitrus berry in effect.

Sadly though, Slurpuff still has hard checks/counters to deal with such as Scizor, Skarmory, Mega Venusaur, (Mega) Slowbro, and priority. Not only that but Slurpuff requires a load of support to actually set up the belly drum.

All in all, Slurpuff is an incredibly high risk, but incredibly high reward sweeper :)

#########

Name: Belly Drum
Move 1: Belly Drum
Move 2: Play Rough
Move 3: Drain Punch
Move 4: Facade/Return/Flamethrower
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EV’s: 252 attack, 144 def, 108 speed, 4 hp
Nature: Adamant

Moves:
Belly drum is the main move of this set, boosting Slurpuff's attack stat to astronomical levels at a cost of just 50% of Slurpuff's max hp (essentially 25% courtesy of sitrus berry). Play rough is Slurpuff's most powerful (and only) physical STAB move. Drain punch is a necessity to cleanly dispatch of bulky steel types and heal off the hp Slurpuff loses after belly drum. The last slot is really just filler, but does indeed help in certain situations. If the opposing team's bulky steel types have been removed (or severely weakened), then facade is a fantastic option to set up in the face of will-o-wisp (ab)users such as Rotom-W and Sableye, and is generally a great option if you end up being burned by scald or flame body or something. When statused, facade becomes slightly more powerful than play rough. However, return is a more consistant and reliable physical attack and is your best option against Mega Venusaur, it is also good in dangerous situations where facade/drain punch is too weak and you don't want to risk missing play rough. You could run flamethrower for skarm and stuff, if you want, i dunno lol.

Set details:
252 attack with an adamant nature maximizes Slurpuff's attack so he can dish out the most hurt possible. 108 speed allows Slurpuff to outspeed adamant scarf Excadrill after unburden by exactly one point muahaha. 4 hp is so sitrus berry activates after belly drum is used at full health, and the rest is dumped into physical defense to take on priority attacks better AND regain a little more health with drain punch (when compared to ev spreads that dump into hp instead of defense). The defense investment allows Slurpuff take on powerful priority hits surprisingly well such as talonflames brave bird. An alternative spread of 252 atk, 64 def, 188 spe, and hp can be used to speed creep jolly scarf Excadrill along with +1 adamant Chariard X and speed tie with adamant scarfchomp (at least i think so, i'm not exactly sure how choice scarf multiplies odd numbers).

Usage Tips:
Don't set up whenever you friggin feel like it. You must remove Skarmory and Scizor before Slurpuff can sweep, and it is a great idea to trap and lock Pokemon into useless moves as this will greatly aid Slurpuff's chances of sweeping successfully. If Slurpuff's checks are removed and has set up successfully, it's basically game :) screens could work too but i haven't tested it yet :/
Slurpuff needs all the hp he can get, so getting Slurpuff in with a slow volturn is much more reliable than predicting a dragon-type move.

Team Options:
Trappers
Screeners
Volturners
etc

Here are a couple of replays for youse:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179587134
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179985956

What do you guys think? Do you think Slurpuff could be BL or even OU?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Slurpuff definitely got better in ORAS, but I kinda feel it's a little too risky to make it all the way into BL or OU. I do think it will definitely return to RU as a certainty, but the only huge problem with Slurpuff is actually trying to get it to set up. It's bulk is manageable, but not that good, and with Belly Drum having to dig into a lot of the cupcake's HP. It also still has problems with priority from Scizor and Talonflame. As said, it needs quite a bit of support to pull off a late-game sweep, although a CM set could be usable to break through some of those counters. It is a late-game cleaner though so I guess its flaws are not that significant, though I think Slurpuff will still be a little niche.

I don't think Slurpuff will be quite good enough for OU or BL, as much as I love using it (in RU), but I think it has a chance of finding some viability in OU at least, and it'll probably be rising in usage in RU or maybe even UU (inb4 Slurpuff gets banned from NU).

Lol I used to run minimize drifblim baton pass to slurpuff and calm mind sweep in ubers
Anyways, I don't see this cupcake making it into BL or OU, likely UU, because there's way too much priority in OU, and there are all these really cool new megas so if slurpuff is going to make it into OU, it's likely going to make it into OU when the metagame has settled down a bit, not when everyone is still spamming mega mence
As ScraftyIsTheBest mentioned, a CM set is definitely viable. The set I ran was calm mind, draining kiss, giga drain and cotton guard, but that was because no one uses heatran in ubers. Slurpuff will probably have to run the physical belly drum set because with the CM set it just can't get past heatran, unless you run HP ground.

So long as bullet punch Scizor and Medicham reside in OU, I don't think Slurpuff is going to be comfortable there. All the unburden boosts in the world aren't going to help you against STAB technician/pure power steel type priority, especially if your HP is already dented by belly drum. Scarfed Terrakions carrying iron head is also something I've seen before, which slurpuff probably wouldn't like very much :<
Not to mention prankster wisp/twave sableye and thundurus breaking unburden and belly drum. Also, a sturdy whirlwind skarm could stop it dead without rocks up.

That being said, there are some niches it can fill and does so well; it can do late-game sweeps provided it gets at least some support from the rest of the team such as rocks or webs or status.

Slurpuff definitely got better in ORAS, but I kinda feel it's a little too risky to make it all the way into BL or OU. I do think it will definitely return to RU as a certainty, but the only huge problem with Slurpuff is actually trying to get it to set up. It's bulk is manageable, but not that good, and with Belly Drum having to dig into a lot of the cupcake's HP. It also still has problems with priority from Scizor and Talonflame. As said, it needs quite a bit of support to pull off a late-game sweep, although a CM set could be usable to break through some of those counters. It is a late-game cleaner though so I guess its flaws are not that significant, though I think Slurpuff will still be a little niche.

I don't think Slurpuff will be quite good enough for OU or BL, as much as I love using it (in RU), but I think it has a chance of finding some viability in OU at least, and it'll probably be rising in usage in RU or maybe even UU (inb4 Slurpuff gets banned from NU).
To be completely honest I think it would perform better in OU than it would UU. There are more dangerous Pokemon to Slurpuff in UU such as scarf darmanitan, Forretress, Quagsire Metagross Lucario Sableye Suicune EEEWWW DO NOT WANT. But otherwise you do make good points so thanks Scrafty :D

By the way guys i probably forgot to mention TRAPPERS ARE REALLY GOOD TO PAIR WITH SLURPUFF. roxanne you talk about how bad Slurpuff performs against it's checks and for that reason it won't be good, WELL DUH of course it gets screwed over by it's checks/counters lol what's the point of pointing that out? This is why trappers such as Magnezone and Goth work so well with Slurpuff :)

Last edited:
Yeah guys let's stop trying to put a frickin cupcake in OU
So I did some calcs seeing how frail it is and then I was like - shit it can tank brave bird lol
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 267-315 (83.9 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
44+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 236-282 (74.2 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

lol it wasn't as frail as I thought it was, but yeah it's pretty shit

If you're going for Unburden sweepers, use Hawlucha. It's got better STABs and isn't totally deadwieght without any boosts. I would rather use BD Azu over BD Slurpuff as well, because at least with Azu they don't automatically see the gimmick in team preview. There's no real niche for this thing in OU imo.

The suggested EV spread definitely doesn't wash:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 144 Def Slurpuff: 228-268 (74.5 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Especially as you need to compromise a quarter of your health to use BD.

I use BD Azumarill, but only because I run TR and I usually get up SR. That ensures that for the first few turns Azumarill will have the fastest priority going with Aqua Jet, you're not usually phazed as sturdy and sashes have been broken, and it's health is sufficient (because you don't have to invest in speed) for it to set up reliably. After the TR has passed, Aqua Jet is often enough to clear shop with - especially if they were dumb enough to send out Talonflame when I had the faster priority under TR.

What I've described is a reasonably reliable means to set up BD, but it takes a lot of work to make it even remotely viable. I can't see Slurpluff (seriously, they put "Slurp" in the name?) having better chances unless you have very good pokemon to pair it with? Also, due to Huge Power, Azumarill's attack is a damn sight higher than Slurpluff's - making it extremely threatening compared to only moderately threatening.

You just gave me a great idea, lol now I will build an ORAS trick room team with mega camerupt and BD azu. Slurpuff is outclassed as an unburden sweeper by hawlucha, and a belly drummer as azumarill. It's just way too gimicky, because azumarill doesn't actually rely on bellyjet to win, it can still be a prominent threat even without the +6 attack, whereas slurpuff is way too reliant on bellydrum, if it doesn't get it up, it'll be complete deadweight on any team.

Uhm, no. Did you ask permission for this? A single move does not usually make a Pokemon viable.
Actually, yes, from Haunter. He was kinda skeptical at first but he said I should still give it a try, after all there's no harm in providing a Pokemon speculation that could turn out quite well.
Ohio you'd be surprised how effective drain punch is. You see it's not just Slurpuff's movepool that's changed but the metagame has changed as well. I have found that Mega Venusaur and Megacham decreased in usage, but Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Magnezone have increased in usage. In this case, I think a single move might make Slurpuff viable, or at the very least provide a respectable enough niche in OU to grant it an analysis (Slurpuff is not alone on this, i mean just look at Mantine).

One thing Slurpuff has going for it over Hawlucha is the ability to set up in one move, as Hawlucha needs Substitute and Swords Dance to set up and must work harder to activate its Sitrus Berry. Slurpuff is also bulkier and only needs 80 Speed EVs to outspeed the unboosted tier (80 EVs beat Jolly Mega Aerodactyl), allowing it to take priority better than Hawlucha.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 176 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 135-160 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 153-180 (51 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
However, Hawlucha (and Belly Drum Azumarill) are obviously better as a whole, but Slurpuff can probably be quite effective in OU with the right support.
I'll play around with it some and report more.

EDIT: Never mind about the EVs. I was using Jolly in the calc. 160 EVs with Adamant, leaving 96 for HP.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 135-160 (41 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I see no reason for this thread. Slurpuff gets a new move, big whoop.

It'll certainly be banned from NU
Welcome to OU; Slurpuff has no place here. Lucha Bird > Cupcake.

One thing Slurpuff has going for it over Hawlucha is the ability to set up in one move, as Hawlucha needs Substitute and Swords Dance to set up and must work harder to activate its Sitrus Berry. Slurpuff is also bulkier and only needs 80 Speed EVs to outspeed the unboosted tier (80 EVs beat Jolly Mega Aerodactyl), allowing it to take priority better than Hawlucha.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 176 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 135-160 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 153-180 (51 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
However, Hawlucha (and Belly Drum Azumarill) are obviously better as a whole, but Slurpuff can probably be quite effective in OU with the right support.
I'll play around with it some and report more.

EDIT: Never mind about the EVs. I was using Jolly in the calc. 160 EVs with Adamant, leaving 96 for HP.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 135-160 (41 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Honestly, it's not too hard to activate its Sitrus Berry. All you gotta do is spam Sub at the right moment; lucha bird doesn't have to run sub either, as it can run Power Herb + Sky Attack and start wrecking from there (sub is better imo). Slurpuff seems like it'd need much more support than BD Azu and Hawlucha; it's stopped cold by Heatran (w/ enough speed investment), Skarm (which is only 3HKO'd by Drain Punch), and many other mons. It'll take too much support for it to work, therefore it wouldn't be worth running Slurpuff imo. There's not much else to say that hasn't been said already by other people.

I see no reason for this thread. Slurpuff gets a new move, big whoop.

Welcome to OU; Slurpuff has no place here. Lucha Bird > Cupcake.

Honestly, it's not too hard to activate its Sitrus Berry. All you gotta do is spam Sub at the right moment; lucha bird doesn't have to run sub either, as it can run Power Herb + Sky Attack and start wrecking from there (sub is better imo). Slurpuff seems like it'd need much more support than BD Azu and Hawlucha; it's stopped cold by Heatran (w/ enough speed investment), Skarm (which is only 3HKO'd by Drain Punch), and many other mons. It'll take too much support for it to work, therefore it wouldn't be worth running Slurpuff imo. There's not much else to say that hasn't been said already by other people.
I never said it was hard to activate the berry on Hawlucha per se; Sub is awesome on Lucha and makes setting up so much easier. But it's not the same as just clicking Belly Drum for Slurpuff. Slurpuff definitely does need more support than the other two comparable sweepers, but Scarf Heatran is outsped after Unburden with the 160 Speed EVs and is OHKO'd by Drain Punch, but Skarm definitely needs to be removed before setting up. Knock Off lures + Magnezone/Gothitelle handle it pretty well.

Lucha Bird may be better than Slurpuff as a whole, but Slurpuff definitely has its own merits and a rightful place in OU.

Actually, yes, from Haunter. He was kinda skeptical at first but he said I should still give it a try, after all there's no harm in providing a Pokemon speculation that could turn out quite well.
Ohio you'd be surprised how effective drain punch is. You see it's not just Slurpuff's movepool that's changed but the metagame has changed as well. I have found that Mega Venusaur and Megacham decreased in usage, but Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Magnezone have increased in usage. In this case, I think a single move might make Slurpuff viable, or at the very least provide a respectable enough niche in OU to grant it an analysis (Slurpuff is not alone on this, i mean just look at Mantine).
Their lack of usage is due to everyonw playing with their new toys. Once everyone gets over them, we'll be seeing them more. That's hardly a reason for slurpuff being "more viable".

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
I don't know what EVs typical mega Swampert runs, but I think it definitely would be helpful to run enough speed to creep it in the rain. Another big problem is Exca in sand outspeeds you as well and nukes you with Iron Head. Also IMO do you really need the max attack? You basically nuke everything anyways at +6, but the difficulty is actually getting up the Belly Drum. BTW finally 236 Spe Jolly creeps Scarf base 110s if that's important I guess...which IMO is important cause base 110 is like the new base 100. I'm pretty sure not a lot of stuff is going to tank +6 252 Adamant Play Rough and the stuff that can gets nuked by Flamethrower/Drain punch anyway.

This thing seriously has nothing else in its movepool like I try to come up with a good set but literally this thing's notable movepool is useless. I guess maybe Endeavor could be used in the last slot?? IDK maybe against some hits you know you can tank with low HP but not low enough to set up a BD(in simpler language something that hits you for 75-99%) you can use Endeavor instead to bring him down to that amount and then finish the mon off with Play Rough / Drain Punch after Unburden? lol this is pretty situational though and I would rather use Flamethrower or something >.<

Whatever its not like there is anything you can really change on this besides for EV spread and maybe slashing Endeavor...

Last edited:
iirc mega swampert runs 152 speed EVs to outspeed mega sceptile in rain, so slurpuff should try to run enough EVs to outspeed 152 speed mega swampert and OHKO with play rough.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Uhm, no. Did you ask permission for this? A single move does not usually make a Pokemon viable. CM is really outclassed by Sylveon, who, while lacking Flamethrower, has much better stats and a better ability.
Priority runs rampant in OU, and this thing is really frail.
It's outclassed by Hawlucha as an Unburden sweeper. Stop trying to make this thing viable, because it won't be.
One move can totally change a Pokemon's viability; Scizor getting Bullet Punch in Platinum is a prime example.

That being said, I don't really see Slurpuff getting any higher than D Rank on the Viability thread, if it's even viable at all. This gen has some of the strongest priority in the history of the metagame, and taking any damage while setting up can make you easily revenge killed by it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 167-197 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 195-229 (63.7 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 267-315 (87.2 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 135-161 (44.1 - 52.6%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 135-160 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO
44+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 236-282 (77.1 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 125-148 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Just an FYI, the set in the OP gets outsped by Scarfed positive Base 77s and higher even after the Unburden boost. You need at least 208 Speed EVs to outspeed Jolly Lando-T if you're running Adamant, so you can't really afford too much bulk.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
iirc mega swampert runs 152 speed EVs to outspeed mega sceptile in rain, so slurpuff should try to run enough EVs to outspeed 152 speed mega swampert and OHKO with play rough.
Well then my spread of 236 jolly is overkill for that, and Swampert is Adamant like all the time anyways. Still I think outspeeding scarf base 110s is still not a bad thing especially cause this is ScarfGar and Scarf Latis.

Anyways this thing only has small niches over BD Azu and Luchador bird. Plus Lucha has a good speed tier without Unburden, and you can also run the Power Herb set if you are scared of SubSitrus getting messed up by mispredict or priority blabla. BD Azu has better typing for setting up BD, also has priority and hits harder. Although a lot of stuff can still tank +6 Aqua Jet and kill you. Anyways highest I likely see this going up to is BL2, in UU Hawlucha will just give you too much competition(it will probably get out of BL when Aegi goes OU again)

Hopefully he learns some better moves from tutor or somehow gets stat increases. Otherwise sucky movepool and stats kinda hold him back, and lets not forget the mons that don't mind a +6 play rough like Rachi and metagross.

Last edited:
Well and i was one of the few who predicted drain punch to have some impact on its usage. Its not the usual thing to prepare for, but with a slow volturner he can actually set up a unburden minisweep to at least dent heavily some other pokemons.

Altough hawlucha does it better.

I can definitely agree with you all Hawlucha is pretty much better than Slurpuff, it requires less support and can function fairly well without any boosts, and has a larger movepool with better STABs, but that doesn't make Slurpuff unviable it also has quite a few traits over Hawlucha.

For example, Slurpuff has a MUCH better defensive typing than Hawlucha. While Slurpuff is only revenge-killed reliably by Scizor and Megagross (both of which can be removed or weakened by trappers), Hawlucha is completely wrecked/walled by Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, (Mega)Slowbro, most bulky fairies, Landorus-T, Zapdos, Megamence (especially after intimidate), Dragonite, and especially Mamoswine, Weavile, and mega Glalie because they have become more popular thanks to the introduction of megamence and mega sceptile and mega lati@s and other stuff like that :P

Not only that but Hawlucha has pretty shit defenses, leaving it revenge killed by priority moves that aren't super effective and is all around pretty fragile.
Another crucial benefit Slurpuff has over Hawlucha, SLURPUFF HAS DRAIN PUNCH. Hawlucha is left fairly weakened after setting up, and lacking drain punch leaves it vulnerable. Slurpuff with drain punch is fantastic because drain punch (after a boost) can absolutely wreck something and recover most (if not all) of Slurpuff's hp, making Slurpuff tougher to revenge-kill than you may think, especially if you use the set i provided in my analysis. Another perk is that after a belly drum Slurpuff has MUCH greater wall-breaking abilities than Hawlucha (assuming Hawlucha only achieves +2 attack which is what i'm assuming happens most of the time)

Not at all saying Hawlucha is bad or not as good as Slurpuff but people PLEASE recognise that Slurpuff does have respectable niches that Hawlucha can't fill.

One move can totally change a Pokemon's viability; Scizor getting Bullet Punch in Platinum is a prime example.

That being said, I don't really see Slurpuff getting any higher than D Rank on the Viability thread, if it's even viable at all. This gen has some of the strongest priority in the history of the metagame, and taking any damage while setting up can make you easily revenge killed by it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 167-197 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 195-229 (63.7 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 267-315 (87.2 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 135-161 (44.1 - 52.6%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 135-160 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO
44+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 236-282 (77.1 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 125-148 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Just an FYI, the set in the OP gets outsped by Scarfed positive Base 77s and higher even after the Unburden boost. You need at least 208 Speed EVs to outspeed Jolly Lando-T if you're running Adamant, so you can't really afford too much bulk.
I hope I'm not being rude but please list a positive base 77 scarfer that can revenge kill Slurpuff? Also, Im pretty sure most scarfdrills run adamant (correct me if i'm wrong lol) The calcs you listed are wrong, let me correct them:

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 144 Def Slurpuff: 142-168 (46.4 - 54.9%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 144 Def Slurpuff: 166-196 (54.2 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 144 Def Slurpuff: 228-268 (74.5 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 144 Def Slurpuff: 117-138 (38.2 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 144 Def Slurpuff: 117-138 (38.2 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
44+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 144 Def Slurpuff: 204-240 (66.6 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 144 Def Slurpuff: 82-97 (26.7 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

While the increase in defense may not seem like much, it can turn possible OHKOs into 2HKOs, 2HKOs into 3HKOs and so on. The extra defense allows Slurpuff to live more attacks, and in turn KO more Pokemon, there have been times where a priority attack has left my Slurpuff with less than 10% and even 5%, the extra bulk really is needed to survive those strong priority attacks.
Not only that but Slurpuff can easily destroy all of these "checks" you listed (barring Scizor of course) and possibly heal off with drain punch.

Next time please get your calcs right before posting :)

Actually now that i think about it, substitute could work wonders for the lil cupcake, especially since Puff can recover his hp with drain punch. But at the same time it might clash with the ev spread because i have an even hp number instead of an odd number. What do you guys think? should i slash it on the fourth slot? Im gonna test it to see if it's any gud :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think Slurpuff is worth using over Hawlucha or Azumarill. Azumarill hits considerably harder after a Belly Drum, and considering that it is supposed to clean, having to rely on Aqua Jet to beat faster Pokemon is not that much of a big deal, since the opponent's team is already going to be weakened when Azumarill is supposed to Belly Drum. Hawlucha outspeeds almost the entire metagame after Unburden, including Sand Rush Excadrill, which would run right over Slurpuff. Slurpuff also struggles a lot against Skarmory and Slowbro, two Pokemon that Belly Drum Azumarill has no issues with (maybe Skarm if Sturdy is still intact, but eh, that is rather situational). Skarmory in particular can take a +6 Drain Punch and KO back with Counter. Slurpuff cannot break Mega Scizor either, as Flamethrower does not even do 60% to it, whereas Scizor can easily ram Slurpuff with Bullet Punch, whereas Azumarill's +6 Waterfall OHKOs. Overall, I think you would just be better off using Azumarill or Hawlucha instead of Slurpuff.

I do not think Slurpuff is worth using over Hawlucha or Azumarill. Azumarill hits considerably harder after a Belly Drum, and considering that it is supposed to clean, having to rely on Aqua Jet to beat faster Pokemon is not that much of a big deal, since the opponent's team is already going to be weakened when Azumarill is supposed to Belly Drum. Hawlucha outspeeds almost the entire metagame after Unburden, including Sand Rush Excadrill, which would run right over Slurpuff. Slurpuff also struggles a lot against Skarmory and Slowbro, two Pokemon that Belly Drum Azumarill has no issues with (maybe Skarm if Sturdy is still intact, but eh, that is rather situational). Skarmory in particular can take a +6 Drain Punch and KO back with Counter. Slurpuff cannot break Mega Scizor either, as Flamethrower does not even do 60% to it, whereas Scizor can easily ram Slurpuff with Bullet Punch, whereas Azumarill's +6 Waterfall OHKOs. Overall, I think you would just be better off using Azumarill or Hawlucha instead of Slurpuff.
How typical, ignoring the niches Slurpuff has (albeit not that big of niches but they are there), and instead comparing his negative traits to other Pokemon who can handle these situations better. Really? Wow. I feel like every person commenting on this page is saying the exact same thing -__-
By that logic, I could say that Staraptor is a better flying-type than Talonflame because Staraptor can easily OHKO one of Talonflames biggest checks - Tyranitar. That's what you sound like to me haha. Azumarill, Hawlucha, and Slurpuff all have different attributes that make them good for different roles.

Actually, Slurpuff fairs surprisingly well against bro, check out these calcs:

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 313-370 (79.4 - 93.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Slurpuff: 109-130 (35.6 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I was kinda surprised actually.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Guys, we all know that Slurpuff faces stiff competition from Azumarill and Hawlucha and they are obviously better options overall, but let's focus on the things that Slurpuff can do and the other two can't, to see if Slurpuff really has a legitimate niche in OU. Leaving this open for now, and depending on how discussion goes i will leave it open or close it in the future.

Sorta pointless to compare Hawlucha and Slurpuff when basically the only thing they have in common is Unburden. It and Azumarill are both BD sweepers but Azumarill relies on Aqua Jet to accomplish anything while Slurpuff uses 2x speed to actually hit with its power moves instead of being forced to Aqua Jet on basically everything with even a little speed investment.

Slurpuff can reach +6 attack and +2 speed in one turn at a cost of only 25% of its HP. As calcs have shown Slurpuff can tank at least a few priority moves with a little defense investment so it isn't totally mashed by chip damage. Play Rough + Drain Punch has really good neutral coverage only being resisted by Charizard Y, Gengar, Talonflame, and Venusaur all of whom except M Venusaur are OHKOed by +6 Play Rough anyway.

No I don't think this thing will be OU but it's a fun little gimmick that can easily sweep teams under dual screens. If for nothing else Slurpuff is worth using just because it's so darn fun to win with.

Last edited:
Guys, Azumarill Hawlucha and Slurpuff are all great for different offensive roles.

BD Azumarill has good bulk, insane power, priority, and a great typing, but has pathetic speed and can be easily revenge-killed by powerful attackers who resist aqua jet. Hawlucha after an unburden boost literally outspeeds the entire metagame outside of priority attacks, and literally has an unresisted STAB combination (barring the rare Doublade), but has pathetic bulk and ironically has a crappy defensive typing that leaves it prone to being revenge killed by priority attacks, and doesn't have the raw power like Azumarill or Slurpuff has.
If you think about it, Slurpuff is kind of in the middle. He's weaker than Azumarill but stronger than Hawlucha, He's slower than Hawlucha but faster than Azumarill, he is frailer than Azumarill but bulkier than Hawlucha.

It's all common knowledge that Azumarill and Hawlucha outshines Slurpuff in many ways, when you compare the three Slurpuff is just not specialized enough and requires more support from his teammates.
But guys don't forget that what Slurpuff does have over the other 2 is his resistivity to being revenge-killed, as Slurpuff is the only Bellydrummer/unburden user with a healing attack - drain punch. Slurpuff is faster than most of the metagame (unlike Azu) but is not prone to being revenge killed by priority attacks (unlike Hawlucha), Slurpuff is capable of avoiding both Azumarill and Hawlucha's downsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)